Extension Based Upon Supporting A Child

Required Documents
  • Immigration form 7 (Tor Mor 7)
  • A copy of passport
  • A 4 cm. X 6 cm. Photograph
  • 1,900 baht application fee
  • Evidence indicating the parental status; birth certificate or a Judical Custody order of the child
  • Evidence presenting financial status:
    • Bank pass-book, bank statement certifying amount of money in the applicant's account, a certified documents of money transferring from oversea or evidence of income with related documents

[*]A record of interviewing the applicant

i took all the above to the samut prakarn immigration office. i have a court judgement stating a have custody of my daughter 5 days a week. i was told i need the house book with my daughters name on it and 4 photo's (2 copies of each) of me and my daughter in front of the house, in the garden, in the living room and in her bedroom. they said if her mother came it would be much easier.

as we are no longer together i said i highly doubt she would be so helpful. the immigration officer phoned and asked her and to my amazement she agreed to go with me on the 19th october

19th october came and she was nowhere to be found so i went to the immigration office again to explain and ask what my options were. i had the pleasure of sitting at a male officers desk for nearly 2 hours knowing full well i wasn't going to get a visa. he even stepped out to lunch for 30 minutes. all i wanted him to say was. "you have to do this".

after going through my paperwork he said if i get my daughters name on the house book or bring her mother in and bring the photo's and a a new letter from the bank with updated passbook with 400k + in it they would issue me with a 12 month visa.

today i went there with my daughters mother and all the paperwork required. as soon as i entered i noticed the nice, helpful officer wasn't there and the guy that "served" me last time told me to take a ticket and take a seat. when my number was called i had to see him. i noticed immediately that he looked pissed off. the first thing he said was "where's your ticket? you need a ticket to see me!" i gave him my ticket and tried to jog his memory that i sat with him the previous week for 2 hours. "i don't know what you want? what do you want? i explained i had come hoping for a 12 month visa and that i had all the necessary paperwork and my daughters mother in attendance. "yes i remember you, what did i tell you last time?" i told him what he told me last time and what i had been told the previous time. "I DIDN'T TELL YOU THAT!!" um... yes... you did and the lady i spoke to 4 weeks previous told me the same. "DON'T TELL ME WHAT I SAID! I TOLD YOU YOU HAVE TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY!" well, if you had told me that i would of done so as i am not in the habit of completely wasting my time for no reason..."

on the previous visit the very last words he said to me were "when you have the pictures and letter from the bank and the necessary paperwork or your wife in attendance (she was never my wife) you can come back anytime" i remember vividly as he got up from his desk and walked with me outside for about 20 metres

just before i left empty handed once again he spoke to my daughters mother. he told her that i have to leave the country and that is what he told me last time. i said so why did an immigration officer call her and ask her to attend so i could get a visa and lake care of my daughter who stays with me 99% of the time? why did you tell me to take the photographs? no answer...

on that note i felt it was best to leave as a free man rather than in handcuffs...

even the immigration officers are liars and completely incompetent (generalization). i now have 2 weeks left on my 2 month extension of my immigrant "o" visa

sorry to post all this here, i just wanted to give the op a heads up on what paperwork is actually needed. even though there's a chance you still won't get a visa...

Welcome to Thailand...!! Thai Immigration never deals the same hand twice..!!

C411um, glad to hear that the child stays with you the vast majority of time now.

One tactical thing that could have helped your situation could have been to bring the child with you. It is easy for immigration to demand the mother to come and all that but another thing to follow through when there's a 5 year old angel adoring her daddy sitting right in front of his eyes. I would bring the kid even if it means her missing a day in school every time.

I can also imagine the immigration officer having a bit of a dilemma if he wants to deny the extension (get the farang to leave the country) and requests the mother to come and the father answers - I don't know where she is, I am the one taking care of the child. That's one thing to hear if the child isn't there and I think a totally different thing if the child in question is right in front of your eyes. Brings the - Who should take care of the child question to light sort of

Edited by MikeyIdea

• 4 months later...

Hi there all/. reference my previous post dated 3/11/2010

Just an update keep you informed, (lawyer got it wrong) could not register, at district office! (baby to young) - Mario 2008 , reply.

So my Lawyer, then filed for court case at juvenile court, for me, we had to go for an interview (together) at child welfare, then we finally went to court in January this year and obtained a court order, yet another certified copy of my passport later. Today we went back to District office (Bang rak) and registered final. I have 2 copies paperwork stamped. So next month i will go and apply for a Non 'O' visa this time, with office paperwork and Court order, plus other documents mentioned (plus house book).

It was quite painless to do, just takes a few months, 4/5 months (lawyer paid) all additional costs- from change route.

My lawyer tells me money in bank (amount) has changed? any news to 500k seeding?

What is the form, i ask for at immigration? TM7 same as extn tourist visa yes? i just apply for Non O and 365 days?

Ok part 2 to go and see what happens at Chaneg Wattana late, next month.

any other tips, please to complete, this final application.

many thanks, keep you updated later.

Hopefully, it will be worth it, fed up of twice a year to Lao, to obtain a new visa, and many trips to immigration - extend plus cost? before about 25-30 k year, new way hopefully 1,900 baht a year? for yearly visa

Believe that 500k (seeding) is for foreign student but this is the second case of people being parent of Thai being told this recently. The requirement is 40k income or 400k in bank per police order 777/2551 para 2.18 which is the latest rule.

Congratulations, it took a bit longer than I expected. But this was Bangkok, and this seems the be the normal waiting time there.

Yes, you use the same tm 7 form as for an extension of a stay on a tourist visa. Now you only write as reason to provide and stay with your child.

Don't forget to bring the child and misses along.

• 1 month later...

Hi there folks/. :rolleyes:

Just another update/. on my visa situation.

Today i went to Chaeng Watthana immigration to apply for my extension based upon supporting my daughter, to change over from current tourist visa. I was armed with all our paperwork (mountain) in hand, PLUS girlfriend and baby. Last week i went and did my final extension on my current tourist visa for another month. So had plenty of time (30 days sort out).

Tips/. I obtained a bank letter yesterday from my Bank ok. (i arrived early, the building is open very early in the morning) we went downstairs to Bangkok Bank and updated my savings book again, prior to queuing outside immigration office.

At 8-30 there were many people outside waiting, i went straight through to the ticket desk? - lady told me wrong form (TM7) i have to apply for 'a non in visa' form TM86, Back i went outside again and got a new form and filled it in! (feeling not good) i was now at the back of the queue behind many people, so i thought. I obtained a ticket this time and went to counter 'C' - luckly there were not many people at this counter (i was number 4).

Ok - lets hope better luck now, lady seemed happy, checked everything, gave me back extra copies my bank book (i did 3 months) copies, she only took 2 months?

Then i had to update my last page of bank book again (to cover this mornings update, down stairs). girlfriend signed a few copies of documents, etc.

She then gave me my originals (documents back) and wait..... for it..... Gave me a receipt for 2,000 baht money paid and told me to come back on the 23rd this month

FOR RESULT? show passport and receipt when i come back on the 23rd.

Don't know if this is a good or bad thing? (or current system)

watch this space for final out come later

Edited by Martinpeter

The TM86 is for changing your tourist visa to non-immigrant visa.

Bring same paperwork next time and fill out the TM.7 this time.

You will get a "under consideration" stamp for 30 days.

Then after 30 days you will get your one year stamp.

Unless he was told to do that he may well be told to return when less than 30 days remain to apply with TM.7 for extension of stay from recent reports. But on the 24th he should get the 90 day non immigrant visa entry without a problem.

Unless he was told to do that he may well be told to return when less than 30 days remain to apply with TM.7 for extension of stay from recent reports. But on the 24th he should get the 90 day non immigrant visa entry without a problem.

Hi Lopburi/. many thanks for your help! I am a little confused (with all the process).

My understanding is now, i return on the 23rd and get result for transfering over to new visa non in 'o' yes? they will give me 90 days! prior to this 90 days finishing , i/we go again to immigration (same paperwork) and TM7 form plus 3 months bank books receipt of money in the bank. Then apply for 9 months extension yes? Then i get 30 days extra stamp, while under consideration and then they issue up to year stamp. Is this correct.

What about 90 days reporting, I last entered Thailand on the 13th of March, when would my first reporting date be. soory to be a pain.

again many thanks for your help.

You are getting a new entry and then will make application for extension of stay so first 90 day report should be due 90 days after that application (TM.7) is submitted. You should only require two months of funds in your account (unless they have told you otherwise) as that is the requirement. You will apply for a one year extension of stay (and that is what you will receive).

You are getting a new entry and then will make application for extension of stay so first 90 day report should be due 90 days after that application (TM.7) is submitted. You should only require two months of funds in your account (unless they have told you otherwise) as that is the requirement. You will apply for a one year extension of stay (and that is what you will receive).

Thank you Lopburi/.

I think i understand now.

I will get 3 months, this time. Then i apply for an extension 1 year again after 3 months is finished. (under consideration) on TM7 form. (then after next year) keep applying for yearly extensions.

many thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there/.

HURRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went to immigration today and got my Non in '0' visa for 3 months (after changing from tourist visa) - so happy after all the agro/ time imvolved.

(did'nt have to wait long) you jump the queue upon results. They stamped my passport with ' admitted 20th May - until 17th August - Non 0 visa.

Also attached a note ' 30 days before this visa expires (0n 17th August) Please present the required documents to support your application for a 1 year visa.

So I will go (early again) on or about 13th/14th July and apply for my 1 year extension with TM7 form (30 days prior to this current visa finishing).

Ok/. i can close this post now/. (hopefully) this will help others in same situation/.

many thanks for all your help.

• 8 months later...

In have also had experience at Samut Prakan, after sitting like you for a couple of hours and the immigration saying, WHAT DO WANT? after 9 years in the country I got a stamp to leave in 7 days, off course this is thailand, and I left with the 7 days crossed out and now a sixty day extension awaiting decision. Now prizes for guessing why the change of heart????

Required Documents
  • Immigration form 7 (Tor Mor 7)
  • A copy of passport
  • A 4 cm. X 6 cm. Photograph
  • 1,900 baht application fee
  • Evidence indicating the parental status; birth certificate or a Judical Custody order of the child
  • Evidence presenting financial status:
    • Bank pass-book, bank statement certifying amount of money in the applicant's account, a certified documents of money transferring from oversea or evidence of income with related documents

[*]A record of interviewing the applicant

i took all the above to the samut prakarn immigration office. i have a court judgement stating a have custody of my daughter 5 days a week. i was told i need the house book with my daughters name on it and 4 photo's (2 copies of each) of me and my daughter in front of the house, in the garden, in the living room and in her bedroom. they said if her mother came it would be much easier.

as we are no longer together i said i highly doubt she would be so helpful. the immigration officer phoned and asked her and to my amazement she agreed to go with me on the 19th october

19th october came and she was nowhere to be found so i went to the immigration office again to explain and ask what my options were. i had the pleasure of sitting at a male officers desk for nearly 2 hours knowing full well i wasn't going to get a visa. he even stepped out to lunch for 30 minutes. all i wanted him to say was. "you have to do this".

after going through my paperwork he said if i get my daughters name on the house book or bring her mother in and bring the photo's and a a new letter from the bank with updated passbook with 400k + in it they would issue me with a 12 month visa.

today i went there with my daughters mother and all the paperwork required. as soon as i entered i noticed the nice, helpful officer wasn't there and the guy that "served" me last time told me to take a ticket and take a seat. when my number was called i had to see him. i noticed immediately that he looked pissed off. the first thing he said was "where's your ticket? you need a ticket to see me!" i gave him my ticket and tried to jog his memory that i sat with him the previous week for 2 hours. "i don't know what you want? what do you want? i explained i had come hoping for a 12 month visa and that i had all the necessary paperwork and my daughters mother in attendance. "yes i remember you, what did i tell you last time?" i told him what he told me last time and what i had been told the previous time. "I DIDN'T TELL YOU THAT!!" um... yes... you did and the lady i spoke to 4 weeks previous told me the same. "DON'T TELL ME WHAT I SAID! I TOLD YOU YOU HAVE TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY!" well, if you had told me that i would of done so as i am not in the habit of completely wasting my time for no reason..."

on the previous visit the very last words he said to me were "when you have the pictures and letter from the bank and the necessary paperwork or your wife in attendance (she was never my wife) you can come back anytime" i remember vividly as he got up from his desk and walked with me outside for about 20 metres

just before i left empty handed once again he spoke to my daughters mother. he told her that i have to leave the country and that is what he told me last time. i said so why did an immigration officer call her and ask her to attend so i could get a visa and lake care of my daughter who stays with me 99% of the time? why did you tell me to take the photographs? no answer...

on that note i felt it was best to leave as a free man rather than in handcuffs...

even the immigration officers are liars and completely incompetent (generalization). i now have 2 weeks left on my 2 month extension of my immigrant "o" visa

sorry to post all this here, i just wanted to give the op a heads up on what paperwork is actually needed. even though there's a chance you still won't get a visa...

all immigration offices are different on a different day and different with different officers. the reason for this is its up to the discretion of the immigration officer on that day, so they could ask for anything depending on how they feel that day