Drinking Beer From Your Shoes

Generally throughout Asia, it appears that the foot is viewed as the lowest part of the body, 'lowest' in every sense of the word, and is generally viewed as something which should be kept as far away from the head as possible, and it is known by most expats in Thailand that showing the sole of the foot is particularly frowned upon.

The head is also sacred, the higest point of the body, to be respected, and should not be touched by anyone but the owner or a masseuse, yet in our culture it is entirely different and viewed with less seriousness.

A man who I work with almost got beaten to death in Korea for dancing on a table with his underwear on his head, and in the early hours of yesterday morning in a Beijing bar called Suzi Wongs, I experienced some strange yet less agressive looks from the Chinese after drinking beer from my mate Liam's left shoe.

I was a little worried that our drunken highjinks had caused offence but I was too drunk at the time to register any local disdain and would not wish to offend anyone should I ever wish to do the same in Thailand next time I visit.

I doubt it makes any difference but for what it's worth, I was supposed to pour the bottle of Sol into one of my trainers but they are brand new so he offered me one of his Reeboks as he'd had them nearly a year.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume you lot have never done a 'shoeboat' then?

It was my first, and you have to be so drunk to do one that health issues don't really come into the equation.

Besides, there's hardly any contact with the shoe and the mouth, you drink from the back of the shoe and I doubt the result of drinking beer that has been in contact with rubber and sweaty fabric would cause more harm than the alcohol itself.

I don't think I will be doing it again, especially not in Thailand after reading your responses.

I'll stick to the tequilla stuntmen and the dentists chair in Larry's.

I've only got my wellies, the leather shoes I wear for work and riding the motorcycle, and my sandals.

The two former are quite obviously health hazards with or without liquid refreshment.

And I don't think any - Thai or not - would be impressed with the cocktail contents of wasting drink on my sandals.

I did have some other shoes but I don't seem to be able to find........

if you are gonna drink beer from someones shoe you may as well lick it up off the floor...  :o

Not quite Tots - one is not drinking from the outer sole, the inside of a shoe does not come into contact with the floor.

I'm sure your good self and many other men and women in Thailand have put their mouths against far dirtier places than the lip of a shoe.

Some of you also bite your nails which is far filthier.

Besides, the whole shoeboat thing is about entertainment, not hygine. :D

Not quite Tots - one is not drinking from the outer sole, the inside of a shoe does not come into contact with the floor.

I'm sure your good self and many other men and women in Thailand have put their mouths against far dirtier places than the lip of a shoe.

Scampy, it doesn't matter if the inside of the shoe doesn't come into contact with the floor. It has to do with the foot that would go inside the shoe. It would still be considered both disgusting and insulting to most Thais. Evidently, the Chinese view it in the same way. Even if it's a brand new shoe, it's what it represents, namely that the foot is the lowest (and dirtiest in their minds) part of the body.

Edited by AmeriThai

Scampy, it doesn't matter if the inside of the shoe doesn't come into contact with the floor. It has to do with the foot that would go inside the shoe. It would still be considered both disgusting and insulting to most Thais. Evidently, the Chinese view it in the same way. Even if it's a brand new shoe, it's what it represents, namely that the foot is the lowest (and dirtiest in their minds) part of the body.

Not to mention the dead skin, sweat, bacteria... :D

totster :o

Does your sock not come into contact with the floor though? including bathroom and kitchen, as not many people walk about with their shoes on in the house.

Personally I wouldn't care if you drank out of your mates shoe, I just wouldn't like to be the person you came home to that night, and I'm sure you likewise :o

Does your sock not come into contact with the floor though? including bathroom and kitchen, as not many people walk about with their shoes on in the house. 

Personally I wouldn't care if you drank out of your mates shoe, I just wouldn't like to be the person you came home to that night, and I'm sure you likewise  :D

HAHAHAHA! Nothing worse than having foot odor on your breath.

Well, that might not be the wrost thing. :o

Edited by AmeriThai