Small Claims Court

I took a travel agent to court over her not buying my ticket that I paid her for. Everything was in Thai and my wife didn't know the english for all this stuff so I don't know if it was actually small claims court or not, but it did sound like it. In the end, the court had the travel agent pay me 5000b and then come back to the court every month to give another 5000b for me. If she fails to show up to pay, she will have to go to jail (so they say). I think you just have to go through the motions of having police reports made, etc. Then it will eventually go to court, or ask the police to send it to court once the reports are done. But have a lawyer review the reports because the police will likely screw them up so they will need to be corrected.

I took a travel agent to court over her not buying my ticket that I paid her for. Everything was in Thai and my wife didn't know the english for all this stuff so I don't know if it was actually small claims court or not, but it did sound like it. In the end, the court had the travel agent pay me 5000b and then come back to the court every month to give another 5000b for me. If she fails to show up to pay, she will have to go to jail (so they say). I think you just have to go through the motions of having police reports made, etc. Then it will eventually go to court, or ask the police to send it to court once the reports are done. But have a lawyer review the reports because the police will likely screw them up so they will need to be corrected.

Thank you. Do you know where your court was located.

I have been told that the "small claimes court" is free... which, to be cynical, is probably why none of the lawyers on the Forum have rushed to reply.

Edited by bapak

Thank you. Do you know where your court was located.

I have been told that the "small claimes court" is free... which, to be cynical, is probably why none of the lawyers on the Forum have rushed to reply.

It was in the big main court house on the corner of the superhighway by the bus station. But once you go through the police stuff, they need to send you to court so they'll tell you where to go, and also tell the other party to go once they've gotten their statements as well. I think after the first court meeting thing, they determine where it needs to go, like to small claims court. Again, I am far from an expert in all of this. As I said, nothing was really translated during all of this. The wife went to the final court date for me where is was settled because I needed to be out of the country.