My Name On The Chanot ?

I am buying some land with Chanot title deed, but there was no mention on the Chanot about a house being on the land. The Local land office informed me that I need to get the owner of the land to go to the local Obator(sorry miss spelling) and get the correct form from them . The measurements of the house are added to the document along with the village bosses signature , the owners signature and photo copies of her ID. Once that is handed back to the Obator,he then issues a letter which along with the Chanot is then taken to the Land office. They will amend the Chanot and add the house to the Deed.

I have agreed to foot the tax bill if it is not too much. It is all related in the price of the land and the cost of the house when built I think.

Can I therefore be added to the Chanot as the 2nd owner, my wife (thai) being the first.

There was talk a while ago of Foreigners being allowed to buy land out of town upto 8 Rai I think or in town upto 1 Rai ?

You cannot buy/own land in your own name. Period.

AFAIK, your name cannot appear on the chanote. You cannot be a falang co-owner of the land.

The 1 rai deal is if you invest 40 MILLION BAHT in Thai bonds. Its under Board of Investment regulation and is intended for larger companies investing in Thailand to create jobs and produce stuff.

Edited by johnnyk

Procedure of making Vacant Land on title Deed to be registered as House+Land by Land officer.

Since purchased vacant land, Land officer would register on Title Deed >>> Click (Chanot) and get purchase contract >> Click (Tor Dor. 13) both documents are very important which most people always keeping Title Deed which showing only owner name on back side.

In fact, there are no details on Title Deed. Most of information is showed on purchased contract such as purchase price, purchaser name and type of property (Vacant land, Concrete House, Timber House).

Finally, this plot is record as vacant land in the land office.

Later, when we would like to built house. We need to inform Municipality office (Tessaban, Or Bor Tor) for grant permission on construction>>> Click. Since construction completed, we would request household registration for House No.

Next, whenever you would like to re-sell,we need to take Construction Permit and household registration showing to land officer for amend this plot as “House+Land”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding to you issue, either taking first land owner to apply construction permit or making by yourself after you completely purchase. Later, you would take all paper work showing to land office for amendment.

Actually you can get your name on a Chanote ...... well on the back anyway.

As a foreigner you can accept a chanote as security for a loan, and have your name and the amount of the loan recorded on the back of the chanote at the land office..

Only problem .... you can't loan money to your wife. If it were the MIL, FIL, sister, etc., it would work

• 2 weeks later...

For sure you can not "own" land. But at least can a Farang have his name appear on the Chanote, indicating something like: "Right to live on property until deceased" ? Thanks and cheers.

Sure. Do a forum search for "Usufruct".

And make sure you add "third party" to that search. Without that no use to make a usufruct or lease with your wife.

Only problem .... you can't loan money to your wife. If it were the MIL, FIL, sister, etc., it would work

You can loan money to your wife, the only problem is you can kiss it goodbye. Not an enforceable contract. The word "gift" comes to mind.

you can not register a loan to thai wife on chanote. in Phuket they dont accept register loan to GF neither, but if GF has another boyfriend and they both state so to landoffice they accept register loan :rolleyes:

register usufruct, have name on Chanote for lifetime. warning, can reduce your lifetime

register lease, have name on Chanote for max 30 years. register (and pay taxes for) 2 leases, have your name on one 30 year lease, another name on next (or first) 30 year lease

all 3 solutions do not work with legal wife