CRES Thailand Warns Of Possible November Attacks

webfact

CRES Warns of Possible November Attacks

The Center for the Resolution of Emergency Situation is requesting assistance from companies transporting chemical and flammable substances after intelligence agencies reported irregularities in the quantity of recent shipments.

It has also warned of possible attacks this month.

Center for the Resolution of Emergency Situation, or CRES, Spokesperson Colonel Sansern Kaewkamnerd announced after the CRES meeting, which was presided over by Defense Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan, that the National Police Office has reported progress on various security related cases.

The police also reported on the 95 unauthorized anti-government community radio stations that must answer to the authorities regarding their programs and content.

If they fail to do so, the police and the National Telecommunications Commission will launch an investigation.

Meanwhile, the National Intelligence Agency has warned of a possible attacks on key government venues this month and urged that security be tightened.

The agency insisted that security measures must be carefully considered since troops must be allocated to help the flood relief effort.

Also, the agency has received reports from the public about irregular shipments of chemicals and flammable substances in certain areas.

The CRES has assigned related agencies to monitor the transportation of chemicals and urged companies to record all chemical shipments.

If the situation becomes volatile, the government may consider temporarily suspending all chemical transportation for the interest of national security.

During the CRES meeting, the police also brought up the post box explosion in Din Daeng earlier this morning.

Authorities believe teenage juveniles were behind the attack but warned that this may signal more violent attacks within this month.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-11-05

footer_n.gif

missing chemical loads... or partial loads... this is not good.

What would be interesting is to know which chemicals, but

a truck load of gas would be enough with a small bomb attach

to ruin many peoples lives. The question is how sociopathic

\are these people who likely are building bigger bombs?

I find it quite strange that the fact that the CRES is canvassing transport companies for information on chemical movements is being disseminated on national media by - the CRES!!!

Now, I'm no anti-terrorist expert, but even I know that when a national security agency is on the tracks of potential perpetrators, the last thing they want to do is blow their chances of arresting the culprits by letting absolutely everyone in the entire country know what lines of investigation they are following.

So we are left with two possibilities which could explain this bizarre anti-leak:

1) The CRES doesn't know anything about how to conduct a proper investigation.

2) They are using scaremongering tactics to achieve their ends (whatever they are - a desire to maintain themselves as a relevant organization springs to mind as one possibility).

Can someone who finds this approach logical please explain the reason behind this announcement?

I find it quite strange that the fact that the CRES is canvassing transport companies for information on chemical movements is being disseminated on national media by - the CRES!!!

Now, I'm no anti-terrorist expert, but even I know that when a national security agency is on the tracks of potential perpetrators, the last thing they want to do is blow their chances of arresting the culprits by letting absolutely everyone in the entire country know what lines of investigation they are following.

So we are left with two possibilities which could explain this bizarre anti-leak:

2) They are using scaremongering tactics to achieve their ends (whatever they are - a desire to maintain themselves as a relevant organization springs to mind as one possibility).

Can someone who finds this approach logical please explain the reason behind this announcement?

I think point nr. 2 is the most likely.

It's not long ago that there was another thread on the lines of "Terrorist attacks expected within the next 20 days". I was only thinking yesterday "Thank God the 20 days have gone without any episodes".

Let's see what happens at the end of November if there hasn't been any trouble. Maybe the next headlines will be something like "New Year celebrations canceled due to terror threats".

Maybe CRES has cried "Wolf" just too often.

Don't get me wrong. I am wary of bomb attacks but the general Thai public don't seem to care any more. Yesterday I went to a Starbucks Coffee shop and someone had left a bag on a table (most likely to reserve the seat) but after one hour they hadn't come back and when I mentioned this to the staff they just smiled and carried on with their business.

Or 3) foot-in-mouth.gif

Enough, animatic, enough. There have been reports of irregularities. That's it. Could mean anything. And why do you write in free verse all the time?

Enough, animatic, enough. There have been reports of irregularities. That's it. Could mean anything. And why do you write in free verse all the time?

:lol: That last quintain could be called 'Ode To A Phantom Bomber'.

Nothing more than formatting for better legibility.

I hate these long run on paragraphs. Hard to read and see easily.

So I format my thoughts so that I see what I mean to say

more clearly more often. You must be new here.

It also could be they are letting ALL chemical companies now

a ) they are watching so some might think twice about letting some stuff slip aware for a fee.

b ) letting all of the know to look out for discrepnacies and to give them a call.

Sort of like Americas Most Wanted, yes they let the perps know they are

after them, but they ALSO let the public know who or what to look out for,

in hopes they might drop a dime on the baddies.

Edited by animatic

Nothing more than formatting for better legibility.

I hate these long run on paragraphs. Hard to read and see easily.

So I format my thoughts so that I see what I mean to say

more clearly more often. You must be new here.

It also could be they are letting ALL chemical companies now

a ) they are watching so some might think twice about letting some stuff slip aware for a fee.

b ) letting all of the know to look out for discrepnacies and to give them a call.

Sort of like Americas Most Wanted, yes they let the perps know they are after them,

but they ALSO let the public know who or what to look out for,

No, I'm not new here. Personal thing but your idea of formatting for legibility differs from mine. I've read a lot of posts on this forum and your formatting is unique, unfortunately so much so that I find it hard to read and consequently tend to skip to the next post . A shame because you may have something interesting to say, but , hey, my loss. More power to your individuality.

"... The police also reported on the 95 unauthorized anti-government community radio stations that must answer to the authorities regarding their programs and content. If they fail to do so, the police and the National Telecommunications Commission will launch an investigation."

Then

"... The agency insisted that security measures must be carefully considered since troops must be allocated to help the flood relief effort."

It would seem Police have no place in Thai society. Why is it when there are 95 radio stations who are anti government, they are not being silenced as they are also inciting unrest and violence? But let's just send troops to the flood areas. Don't let politics interfere with national security.

I agree with number 2 and I think we will see the same type of scaremongering every month. My prediction is that they will announce that there will be bomb attacks on New Years Eve/

"... The police also reported on the 95 unauthorized anti-government community radio stations that must answer to the authorities regarding their programs and content. If they fail to do so, the police and the National Telecommunications Commission will launch an investigation."

Then

"... The agency insisted that security measures must be carefully considered since troops must be allocated to help the flood relief effort."

It would seem Police have no place in Thai society. Why is it when there are 95 radio stations who are anti government, they are not being silenced as they are also inciting unrest and violence? But let's just send troops to the flood areas. Don't let politics interfere with national security.

Mind you those 95 radio stations might come in useful for passing on community information about the floods, especially in light of the Mr Abhisits' recognition that there were problems with the way the message was spread. Apparently, some local people didn't understand or didn't trust the announcements and relied instead on their own previous reaction to past floods (even though these were far worse).

I agree with number 2 and I think we will see the same type of scaremongering every month. My prediction is that they will announce that there will be bomb attacks on New Years Eve/

WRT Point 2, See http://www.thaivisa....abour-ministry/ and then compare with reporting in another newspaper.

One thing few are going to talk about is that there are people on the other side that nobody wants to emabarrass or cause to lose face or have to prosecute or something like that. The age old Thai game of letting your opponent know that you know what he is up to so he can abandon that one. There is a lot of this kind of thing that goes on in the elite level power struggle which is all kind of tangled up with bigger issues of demcoracy now. Therer are almost certainly elites on both sides who would prefer to come to an understanding but havent yet, and may not this time, but that all relies on not pushing any of the really powerful ones too far. If there is an out and out winner it also has to be remembered that there are far too many powerful players on both sides to have the losing lot all destroyed, and that at some time most will become matey again.

Of course there other analyses and as with all things there are a whole mix of reasons for anything but dont discount the elites taking care of even fellow elites they consider a little errant. And of course a little information on someone being a little naughtier than they should have been is leverage provided it doesnt become too public.