Uk Settlement Visa

After a successful 3 month trip to the UK in the Summer, my gf will shortly be applying for a UK settlement visa.

A couple of quick points.

Firstly, where can she take an English course at Level A1 in BKK?

Secondly, in her visit visa she included a "material status" "certificate" from her local Amphur. Does she need to include this (I can't see where it says so in the visa guidance notes)? Does it have an expiry date? (She got it around May/June time)

Many thanks :wai:

RAZZ

The document can be obtained from her local Amphur district office.

Yeah...I know ;)

But I believe it has a date on it and is only valid for 6 months? :(

She phoned the Amphur and it seems they might be able to give her parents a new copy.

RAZZ

Our office ( Visas - Plus ) is in contact with English Test Centre concerning the start up of a UKBA approved A1 test provider in Pattaya and Bangkok. As soon as we have the confirmed details we will pass them on. In the meantime, English Test Centre will be conducting half day Pre-test seminars, also in Pattaya and Bangkok, to potential A1 test candidates in order that they can gain an understanding of the test requirements and, more particularly, for the candidates to assess whether they are ready for the test or perhaps require further English lessons.

The Pre-test seminars will be starting on 17th November in Pattaya, and in a couple of weeks time in Bangkok. The Pattaya tests will be held at Saraan House, Sukhumvit Road, Pattaya. You can book direct at Saraan House by phone ( 083 8999 074) or through Khun Baitoey at English Test Centre ( 084 362 8983 ). The cost of the Pre-test is 1,000 Baht.

Edited by VisasPlus

The required English language level is A1 on the Common European Framework. This is a very low level and can be classed, simply, as 'Beginner'.

If your wife or GF wants to test her English, then you can google any number of free placement tests which map into the CEF

For example:

http://berlitz-virtual-classroom.eu/en/about_bvc/quality_management/language_test_online.html

or

http://englishenglish.com/englishtest.htm

As long as the test maps into the CEF, it will give a very clear assessment of the language level and you'll know if extra classes could even be required. A1 really is a low level.

The required English language level is A1 on the Common European Framework. This is a very low level and can be classed, simply, as 'Beginner'.

If your wife or GF wants to test her English, then you can google any number of free placement tests which map into the CEF

For example:

http://berlitz-virtual-classroom.eu/en/about_bvc/quality_management/language_test_online.html

or

http://englishenglish.com/englishtest.htm

As long as the test maps into the CEF, it will give a very clear assessment of the language level and you'll know if extra classes could even be required. A1 really is a low level.

The gf worked on an American cruise ship for 3 years...she speaks English ok...maybe too well! :whistling::lol::D

Thanks for the above :thumbsup:

The links to sample A1 tests from Pearson can be found somewhere on here...

http://www.pearsonpte.com/Pages/Home.aspx

Who are included on here:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...s-partners.pdf

I know everyone is in business to make money...but to charge someone 1000 baht (20 odd quid) for a "free" sample test is a bit rich...UNLESS you get genuine written feedback on the exam and "spoken" test...sorry...just my humble opinion. :wai:

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

For example:

http://berlitz-virtu...est_online.html

or

http://englishenglis...englishtest.htm

The gf worked on an American cruise ship for 3 years...she speaks English ok...maybe too well! :whistling::lol::D

Thanks for the above :thumbsup:

The links to sample A1 tests from Pearson can be found somewhere on here...

http://www.pearsonpt...Pages/Home.aspx

Who are included on here:

http://www.ukba.home....s-partners.pdf

I know everyone is in business to make money...but to charge someone 1000 baht (20 odd quid) for a "free" sample test is a bit rich...UNLESS you get genuine written feedback on the exam and "spoken" test...sorry...just my humble opinion. :wai:

RAZZ

Your opinion is very valid. As far as I am aware English Test Centre give full feedback on the Pre-test. There would be little point otherwise. I have had a look at the Pearson website, and the scored sample test currently costs $20. That's hardly a " free" sample test. The unscored sample test, which appears to be free, gives no feedback at all, and certainly no interaction. That's how it looks to me, but I may be wrong ( I usually am ! ).

By the way, your second link is purely a reading and answering test. This is, unfortunately, not appropriate for the A1 ( settlement ) test which is a listening and speaking test.

Edited by VisasPlus

Further to my earlier post, we ( Visas Plus) now understand that English Test Centre has been appointed to carry out the A1 English tests in Thailand by one of the UKBA approved testers in the UK. The UKBA approved tester is Mont Rose College of Marketing and Science, and their details can be accessed through their own web site.

In addition to the Pre-test seminars outlined in my earlier post, ETC will carry out the A1 tests in Pattaya ( on Mondays ), and in Bangkok ( on Wednesdays ). Pre-test seminars will be carried out in Pattaya on Thursdays, and in Bangkok on Tuesdays.

The Pre-test seminar will cost 1,000 Baht. The A1 test will cost 6,000 baht.

To get further details, or to make bookings, please check out the contact details for English Test Centre (on the Visas Plus website ) or access our website through our profile page.

Edited by VisasPlus

We offer the A1 English Language settlement test on behalf of EMD UK, a UKBA-approved company. Tests available in Pattaya and Bangkok. Our next test session is in Bangkok on November 25/26.

Please feel free to call us on (0)38 601773 or check our website for further details www.visa-2go.com

Edited by visa2gorayong

As far as I am aware English Test Centre give full feedback on the Pre-test. There would be little point otherwise.

The fact is, the tester either reaches A1 on the CEF or they don't - the feedback is that simple. There is no feedback to be given. A placement test, whether than be Oxford, Michigan etc etc etc (the list goes on) requires no other feedback but 'This is your level, you need to study x to reach y, of applicable'. Frankly, this is unfair and charging a grand is wrong.

By the way, your second link is purely a reading and answering test. This is, unfortunately, not appropriate for the A1 ( settlement ) test which is a listening and speaking test.

So the tester should go to any AUA brach and take the placement test (which includes listening) for free and then study as and if required. That said, any multi choice placement test (for someone that can read) gives a real idea of overall level - there is no need for a specific L&S or 4 skills test.

I have run some of the largest technical training projects in the world for non native speakers and these include bold on EFL and ESP - I know my shit. This is just wrong and you are trading on fears.

As far as I am aware English Test Centre give full feedback on the Pre-test. There would be little point otherwise.

The fact is, the tester either reaches A1 on the CEF or they don't - the feedback is that simple. There is no feedback to be given. A placement test, whether than be Oxford, Michigan etc etc etc (the list goes on) requires no other feedback but 'This is your level, you need to study x to reach y, of applicable'. Frankly, this is unfair and charging a grand is wrong.

So the tester should go to any AUA brach and take the placement test (which includes listening) for free and then study as and if required. That said, any multi choice placement test (for someone that can read) gives a real idea of overall level - there is no need for a specific L&S or 4 skills test.

I have run some of the largest technical training projects in the world for non native speakers and these include bold on EFL and ESP - I know my shit. This is just wrong and you are trading on fears.

I'm not going to get into an argument with you, as that is not the purpose of this thread. However, I am not trading on anyone's fears. I am merely pointing potential A1 test applicants in one direction that they can take to prepare for, and take, the A1 test. I am not from the English Test Centre, nor do I receive any financial incentive for giving out the information. You have pointed them in an alternative direction, so good for you.

Your points above seem to ignore the fact that this test is a requirement for a visa application,not something that someone can choose to do or not. For instance, you say " there is no feedback to be given" and " requires no other feedback ". The feedback is actually important as the applicant needs to know whether he/she will be able to interface with the A1 tester. Pre-test seminars are designed to directly allow the applicant to prepare for the test and be in the best position to pass the test. The A1 test is not a written test. It is a face to face " interview" type test ( listening and speaking ), something many applicants will never have experienced before. Secondly, your point - " That said, any multi choice placement test (for someone that can read) gives a real idea of overall level - there is no need for a specific L&S or 4 skills test " again misses the point. The A1 test for a settlement visa is not a multi choice test ( because the A1 test is not a written test ), and many of the applicants cannot read English anyway. Thirdly, there is indeed a need for a "specific L&S or 4 skills test" ( although only 2 skills are required ) as this is the requirement from the UK government.

No one doubts that you know your s...... err, sorry, business. You are not unknown in the forum. How about utilising your s...... err, sorry again, knowledge for the benefit of those who are concerned about this forthcoming test, rather than having a go at me ? You could prepare a free test that fully meets the requirements of the A1 test for settlement visa applicants ? A test designed for those who cannot read English, of course, and that requires no feedback ?

Sarcasm aside ( or maybe you will actually consider doing it ? ), potential visa applicants are concerned about the new test. Many of them, if not most of them, have no experience of a speaking and listening test. They do not know what it is. Telling them to do an Oxford, Michigan or whatever will not help them in the least. These visa applicants need to be able to understand what the proposed test entails, and how best to get a pass mark so that they can get to UK with their spouse/partner. English Test Centre, and others, are approved testers for the UKBA A1 English test. I think they have a right to charge for preparing applicants for the test. They are, of course, businesses, have premises to rent, staff to pay, etc. That said, you are entitled to your view.

Edited by VisasPlus

.......potential visa applicants are concerned about the new test. Many of them, if not most of them, have no experience of a speaking and listening test. They do not know what it is. Telling them to do an Oxford, Michigan or whatever will not help them in the least. These visa applicants need to be able to understand what the proposed test entails, and how best to get a pass mark so that they can get to UK with their spouse/partner. English Test Centre, and others, are approved testers for the UKBA A1 English test.

As one of "the others", I would endorse the above comments. The A1 Common European Framework of Reference is the most basic level apparently recognised in any test, and UKBA require the standard to be achieved in speaking and listening only. That is what the test administered by ETC and ourselves covers, it may not encompass the scope of an "Oxford",a "Michigan", a TOIEC or TOEFL, but those who can get through our A1 test can go on to apply for a settlement visa. Those who already hold one of the other qualifications may well be certified to do so, but they should be careful to check that their qualification covers the requirement - a certificate for speaking and writing will not meet the new rule, neither will a certificate issued by an organisation not on UKBA's list.

Our fee for the test is set by our UK Provider, EMD. Naturally we wish to assist our clients as much as possible to pass the test, but we feel entitled to recover the cost of any extra tuition,as no doubt do ETC.

Visaplus - I am not able to respond because if I do I get accused of getting into it with you. I consult for the UK's largest awarding body and dealt directly with the UKBA marriage and settlement teams in creating the list of approved providers. So, without further ado if 7by7 tell me how, I'll send over an attachment that highlights ALL the approved providers as well as ALL the tests which can be taken to demonstrate an A1 level - many off which can be taken on-line, on demand from UK based companies.

1000 baht to be told ones level and that one possibly needs further training? You're having a giggle, Pal. You really should say, once the attachment is posted who exactly is the approved provider sub contracting this work out to you and yours....

7by7?

Edited by 7by7
Offensive remarks removed

Visaplus - I am not able to respond because if I do I get accused of getting into it with you.

I consult for the UK's largest awarding body and dealt directly with the UKBA marriage and settlement teams in creating the list of approved providers. So, without further ado if 7by7 tell me how, I'll send over an attachment that highlights ALL the approved providers as well as ALL the tests which can be taken to demonstrate an A1 level - many off which can be taken on-line, on demand from UK based companies.

1000 baht to be told ones level and that one possibly needs further training? You're having a giggle, Pal. You really should say, once the attachment is posted who exactly is the approved provider sub contracting this work out to you and yours....

7by7?

1. You say - " So, without further ado if 7by7 tell me how, I'll send over an attachment that highlights ALL the approved providers as well as ALL the tests which can be taken to demonstrate an A1 level - many off which can be taken on-line, on demand from UK based companies."

Here is a link to UKBA approved providers, and the tests they carry out :

http://www.ukba.home...ts-partners.pdf

2. You say - "You really should say, once the attachment is posted who exactly is the approved provider sub contracting this work out to you and yours...."

Here , from my earlier post of 11 November: -

" Further to my earlier post, we ( Visas Plus) now understand that English Test Centre has been appointed to carry out the A1 English tests in Thailand by one of the UKBA approved testers in the UK. The UKBA approved tester is Mont Rose College of Marketing and Science, and their details can be accessed through their own web site."

You may consult for the UK's largest, etc, etc, etc, but your reading skills appear to need some work.

Edited by 7by7
Offensive remarks removed from quote

I consult for the UK's largest awarding body and dealt directly with the UKBA marriage and settlement teams in creating the list of approved providers. So, without further ado if 7by7 tell me how, I'll send over an attachment that highlights ALL the approved providers as well as ALL the tests which can be taken to demonstrate an A1 level - many off which can be taken on-line, on demand from UK based companies.

I wonder if you could provide, if not the link, the name of one or two companies and the relevant test(s) that can be taken online, that will satisfy UKBA's requirement for a pass in Speaking and Listening. An applicant for a settlement visa may be able to present their university doctorate as evidence of their ability in English, but it won't satisfy what the rule actually says (kindly provided in a previous thread by 7by7):-

"(ii) the applicant provides an original English language test certificate in speaking and listening from an English language test provider approved by the Secretary of State for these purposes, which clearly shows the applicant's name and the qualification obtained (which must meet or exceed level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference)"

You're accusing VisasPlus of peddling an unnecessary service, but having already had a candidate fail the test, it seems to me perfectly reasonable to offer an assessment and make a charge for doing so. We're doing the same.

I wonder if you could provide, if not the link, the name of one or two companies and the relevant test(s) that can be taken online, that will satisfy UKBA's requirement for a pass in Speaking and Listening. An applicant for a settlement visa may be able to present their university doctorate as evidence of their ability in English, but it won't satisfy what the rule actually says (kindly provided in a previous thread by 7by7):-

"(ii) the applicant provides an original English language test certificate in speaking and listening from an English language test provider approved by the Secretary of State for these purposes, which clearly shows the applicant's name and the qualification obtained (which must meet or exceed level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference)"

You're accusing VisasPlus of peddling an unnecessary service, but having already had a candidate fail the test, it seems to me perfectly reasonable to offer an assessment and make a charge for doing so. We're doing the same.

Well said. I'm waiting for Desertexile to show his altruistic side, and come up with his free listening and speaking assessment to benefit all concerned.

It doesn't sound reasonable to me to charge a learner 1,000 for a placement test - sorry.

The part about the Doctorate - no idea what you mean.

You are offering a test, you should make it your business, therefore, to do a little research into the product you are offering Thais who wish to settle in the UK, not to mention the chaps that frequent this board. Take a look at the test yourself, follow the links to a few of those sites. Understanding what it is you are arguing about is a good step.

And I still think 1000 for a placement test is outrageous however its packaged. The expense here should be just charging for one of the many route into acquiring an A1 + level,

I note you have chosen to ignore any of the points I made, including a viable route to the required test pass ( required by UKBA ). If you think you can provide a free asessment, or free placement test, as you said, then let's have a look at it. It has to be a "test" that incorporates no reading element, of course. You would be assisting a large number of people.

Edited by VisasPlus

Well said. I'm waiting for Desertexile to show his altruistic side, and come up with his free listening and speaking assessment to benefit all concerned.

And you say my reading skills leave a lot to be desired?

You are obviously one of those people who can never admit to mistakes. Your ego is way too big for me to deal with.

End of correspondence with you.

I note you have chosen to ignore any of the points I made, including a viable route to the required test pass ( required by UKBA ). If you think you can provide a free asessment, or free placement test, as you said, then let's have a look at it. It has to be a "test" that incorporates no reading element, of course. You would be assisting a large number of people.

Within the link you posted there are numerous viable routes - indeed, I asked you supporter to do a little research for himself regards the providers within that list who offer online 4 skills (or indeed just L&S) tests which satisfy UKBA requirements to outline an A1 + level. As I said to you (which you ignoted) there is no 'Al Test' which you keep pushing.

No where did I mention that such a test was free. Please slow down, calm down and rethink your reading methods.

Yes, I maintain there are free placements test easily available on line, indeed I posted links - again, perhaps you need to brush up on your own reading. A placement test DOES NOT have to be a L&S test to define overall level. This is essentially something you cannot comprehend.

And, lets not forget that A1 level is extremely basic, do you know what the requirements for assessment at A1 level, in any skill, even are?

And you say my reading skills leave a lot to be desired?

You are obviously one of those people who can never admit to mistakes. Your ego is way too big for me to deal with.

End of correspondence with you.

I'll admit to a mistake - but what exactly is it? What mistake have I made? To question your motives?

From New English language requirement for partners

.........you will need to pass an acceptable English language test with one of our approved test providers..........When you make your application to us, you will need to provide evidence that you have passed the test.........

As far as I'm aware, it is not possible to obtain such evidence from an approved provider anywhere in Thailand for free.

However, I will be more than pleased to be proved wrong on this point. So, if anyone knows somewhere where it can be obtained without charge, please provide details.

Otherwise, keep quiet.

From New English language requirement for partners

.........you will need to pass an acceptable English language test with one of our approved test providers..........When you make your application to us, you will need to provide evidence that you have passed the test.........

As far as I'm aware, it is not possible to obtain such evidence from an approved provider anywhere in Thailand for free.

However, I will be more than pleased to be proved wrong on this point. So, if anyone knows somewhere where it can be obtained without charge, please provide details.

Otherwise, keep quiet.

There is nowhere which will provide an accredited test for free. That is not the issue 7by7. There are many places to get a free placement test. AUA being one such place, ECC also, the British Council also. All map to the common European framework. There are many online versions too.

I am sure that you are correct, but none of these will be any use whatsoever to a settlement visa applicant!

From the OP

where can she take an English course at Level A1 in BKK?

So the issue is; where can one take the required accredited assessment from an approved provider?

I cannot see anything in any of your posts in this topic which answers that question. Please cut the confusing waffle and stick to the point.

I found this on the internet - lets take it apart: EXCUSE THE CAPS

In the summer of 2010 the British Government announced that it was introducing an English test for people from non English speaking countries

UK Border Agency has since announced that the date for the test will be 29th November 2010. From this date on if you are applying to become a resident in the UK, for example applying for a fiancé or settlement visa you will require to have a certificate confirming that you have passed the test

The test will comprise of two parts of what is known as the A1 test, speaking and listening skills. Failure of either will require a re-test.

UTTERly incorrect - THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS 'THE A1 TEST' - THERE ARE MANY DIFFERENT TESTS WHICH MAP INTO THE COMMON EUROPEAN FRAMEWORK (A FRAMEWORK WHICH LISTS MANY TESTS AND MAPS THEN INTO DIFFERING ENGLISH ABILITY LEVELS).

UK Border Agency have listed approximately 16 UK and 2 Japanese Institutions that were accredited to carry out the A1 test. Some may have agents in Thailand and some will send a tester over to carry them out (could be expensive)

AGAIN - SCAREMONGERING. THERE ARE NO APPROVED PROVIDERS IN THE UK THAT WOULD SEND AN INTERNAL VERIFIER TO THAILAND TO HOLD A SIMPLISTIC TEST AT ITS THAILAND AGENT'S PREMISES. SIMPLE NOT NECESSARY. FOR EXAMPLE, A THAI GOING TO STUDY IN THE UK WILL GO TO THE BRITISH COUNCIL AND BE TESTED THROUGH AN IELTS TEST. A SETTLER CAN DO THE SAME AND A SCORE OF 1 EQUATE TO A1 ON THE CEF AND SATISFIES THE REQUIREMENTS.

One of the accredited companies will be running tests through their agent in Bangkok and Pattaya. This has involved introducing a very clear policy to follow exactly the requirements and have trained and accredited their tester

HE MEANS ONE OF THE APPROVED COMPANIES WILL RUN ITS ACCREDITED TESTS THROUGH AN AGENT. THEY WILL NOT HAVE TRAINED AND ACCREDITED ITS TESTER.

The test itself is fairly difficult and certainly requires good skills in listening and speaking the English language.

AGAIN, MORE REFERENCE TO 'THE TEST'. THERE IS NO 'A1 TEST' THERE ARE MANY TESTS. A TEST TO DEFINE ENGLISH ABILITY IS NOT ABOUT 'DIFFICULTY. SUCH A TEST MEASURES COMPETENCE IN THE LANGUAGE. FOR EXAMPLE IELTS TEST WILL MEASURE COMPETENCE FROM A1 (V BASIC) RIGHT THROUGH TO A NEAR NATIVE SPEAKER.

Many will find this difficult

NO, SOME PEOPLE (THOUGH VERY FEW) WOULD NOT REACH A1 STANDARD, MANY WILL BE AT A MUCH HIGHER LEVEL. EXAMPLE OF AN A1 LEARNER:

http://www.webcef.eu/?q=node/192

so Pre-Test seminars are being run in both locations to enable candidates to see for themselves whether they need further coaching/schooling and also save on a possible failed test fee.

OR JUST DO A FREE ON-LINE PLACEMENT TEST AS MENTIONED EARLIER WHICH IS, IF ONE CAN READ AND WRITE IS SUFFICIENT TO INDICATE ONE'S COMPETENCE AND CAN BE MAPPED TO THE CEF

They will take the form of group sessions, they should be fun and no one will feel embarrassed. It will help candidates to get an understanding of what and how the test is conducted so they can decide on their next course of action

FUN? DOING A PLACEMENT TEST? A TEST THAT TAKES ABOUT 20 MINUTES? OR JUST GO TO THE AUA, ECC OR THE BRITISH COUNCIL AND TAKE A TEST A PLACEMENT TEST FOR FREE OR 200 BAHT TOPS AND BE TOLD YOUR LEVEL AND IF YOU NEED REMEDIAL WORK. THOUGH IF THE SETTLER IS A RELATIONSHIP WHERE ENGLISH IS USED TO COMMUNICATE WITH SPOUSE/PARTNER THEN THIS WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE FOR SOMONE BELOW A1 STANDARD.

You can book through our agency or ring/email direct/call in to one of the test centres

If you wish to book an A1 test then please take your current passport, two recent passport photographs 45x 35 mm and the correct fee which is currently 6,000 Baht

If you wish to book a Pre-test seminar then all you need is the fee of 1,000

Profiteering by 1,000 from Settlers ignorance to the facts.

Its not much money, its not 28,000 but its still a weeks food for a settlers family

Edited by Desertexile