Buying Into A Business

poppa

There we go rocky , for some reason people out here want to paint a rosey picture of this place and not tell any facts , i have been out here for 3 years never bought into a business but have sat back and watched , and from where i have been sitting you would have to be out of your mind to buy into any business out here , but the mugs arrive everyday , can you imagine buying a bar then have to sit on the other side of the bar whilst your getting fleeced by your loyal smiling staff and if you as much as walk behind that bar your deported, or a man comes over here meets a lady and within 3 days wants to buy a house in her name , i have seen it so many times its unreal , but if post are blocked that state the facts new commers havent got a clue whats about to befall on them , but then again if the new commers dont know , the old mugs can get away with selling of there unwanted liabilitys and still go around with there rosey sun glasses and tell you what a great place this is ,

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There we go rocky , for some reason people out here want to paint a rosey picture of this place and not tell any facts , i have been out here for 3 years never bought into a business but have sat back and watched , and from where i have been sitting you would have to be out of your mind to buy into any business out here , but the mugs arrive everyday ,  can you imagine buying a bar then have to sit on the other side of the bar whilst your getting fleeced by your loyal smiling staff and if you as much as walk behind that bar your deported, or a man comes over here meets a lady and within  3 days wants to buy a house in her name , i have seen it so many times its unreal , but if post are blocked that state the facts new commers havent got a clue whats about to befall on them , but then again if the new commers dont know , the old mugs can get away with selling of there unwanted liabilitys and still go around with there rosey sun glasses and tell you what a great place this is ,

23 views and No replys , your all bar donors , is that right

Whats  happened  Poppa.........you  been  ripped  off?  member  since  09/04  and  no  posts  until  yesterday  now  6 of  them  and  none  of  them  positive.

Noticed  your  date  of  birth...........1st  April............seems  appropriate  somehow.  :o

whats happened to you poppa , look whos talking you cannot give a oppinion what are you worried about , brown noseing only works for a short time after that your in the S t

No I'm a bar OWNER and your talking <deleted> :o

your the guy who donates to the blues factory and are about to go broke , never mind at least all the thais around you have plenty of money , so they will be all right

I own the blues factory I don't donate anything to it apart from time and attention, It donates to me thanks.

about to go broke

Have some info that I don't?

The club is 100% controlled by farangs thanks,

No I'm a bar OWNER and your talking <deleted> :o

your the guy who donates to the blues factory and are about to go broke , never mind at least all the thais around you have plenty of money , so they will be all right

I own the blues factory I don't donate anything to it apart from time and attention, It donates to me thanks.

about to go broke

O come on chill out , iam over here and everytime i go to your bar its empty , the same as most bars in thailand

Whats  happened  Poppa.........you  been  ripped  off?  member  since  09/04  and  no  posts  until  yesterday  now  6 of  them  and  none  of  them  positive.

Noticed  your  date  of  birth...........1st  April............seems  appropriate  somehow.   :o

whats happened to you poppa , look whos talking you cannot give a oppinion what are you worried about , brown noseing only works for a short time after that your in the S t

Cant see how i/m brown nosing.......just seems odd how all of a sudden youve started posting and are on the attack.

Oh and as for my opinion.........

Daves right your talking <deleted>.

No I'm a bar OWNER and your talking <deleted> :D

about to go broke

O come on chill out , iam over here and everytime i go to your bar its empty , the same as most bars in thailand

My god your right, i'm still trying to work out how the bars managed to run for nearly 5 years with it being empty most nights.

a definate troll this one. :o

This thread is titled buying into a business. So instead of arging lets place the facts so

new comers and stary eyed Falangs know the real truth before they lose their shirt.

Over the last seven years I have visited Pattaya many times. I have met many Falang

bar owners, When I return on my next trip that bar owner is normally gone and been

replaced by another Falang bar owner. It seams that the life of a bar is 6-12 months

before the Falang bar owner is sick of putting in his own cash to prop up a money

losing liability. Thailand Dave has said bars last 5 years, well I am sure the blues

factory is running fine, Rosie O gradys and The Pig and Whistle seam to be very very

successful and are always packed day and night. However the other bars in my

opinion do not make money. There is a saying in Thailand how to make a small

fortune, Start with a bigger one.

This thread is titled buying into a business. So instead of arging lets place the facts so

new comers and stary eyed Falangs know the real truth before they lose their shirt.

Over the last seven years I have visited  Pattaya many times. I have met many Falang

bar owners, When I return on my next trip that bar owner is normally gone and been

replaced by another Falang bar owner. It seams that the life of a bar is 6-12 months

before the Falang bar owner is sick of putting in his own cash to prop up a money

losing liability. Thailand Dave has said bars last 5 years, well I am sure the blues

factory is running fine, Rosie O gradys and The Pig and Whistle seam to be very very

I said the blues factory has lasted 5 years. :o

Other long term bars.

peppermint

living dolls 1

living dolls showcase

dollhouse

mistys

happy

electric blue

carousel

supergirl

superbaby

hollywood

xcyte

shall i continue?

Beer bars come and go more than established pubs/ clubs.

I think that the reason that so many bar owners and business owners in Pattaya go broke is a lack of experience in that field in the first place. They could be doing any job at home, bus driver, warehouse worker, builder, then come over to a foreign country and try to run a business which they have never attempted to run before in their life.

Pattaya is an excellent location to own a bar, its busy, got plenty of visitors every year and one of Thailand's busiest nightlife scenes all within easy reach of Bangkok.

You give joe bloggs the english cab driver a couple of million baht to start a bar here with no real knowledge of Thailand and no business smarts then odds on it's going to go pear shaped. Give the same money to say Donald Trump, and you'll have a booming bar in a years time.

Whatever the background of the person, its the hard workers with the business brains that do well here, not the dreamers that are so often misled into thinking its easy money everyday. Unfortunately Pattaya has a large amount of dreamers, hence the high failiure rate. Look's like Poppa was one of the dreamers.

Over the last seven years I have visited  Pattaya many times. I have met many Falang

Other long term bars.

peppermint

living dolls 1

living dolls showcase

dollhouse

mistys

happy

electric blue

carousel

supergirl

superbaby

hollywood

xcyte

shall i continue?

Some of the listed above are Clubs-GSome of the listed above are Clubs-GO GO bars

and are Thai owned not falang, no doubt some falangs are succseessful, though the

reality is the majortiy lose everythink to a dream, IVE GOT A BAR IN THAILAND,

and the reality is that everymonth they are putting in some of there pension money

just to pay the bar rent, no matter how you look at this, Flang bar owners are working

for the Thais. They rent the premises from a Thai and in most cases even if they make

money, the landlord received more rent than the falang bar owner made after

expenses.

Dave this isnt aimed at any idivdul and i have no doubt you are one of the clever ones,

good bar good location, good product to sell (music atmosphere etc)

How many bars leaeses are for are for sale now ? How many bar owners will be broke

before high season returns, how many bars go under a year. I dont know the answers

to these questions but I am sure the loses out way the winnersO GO bars and are Thai

owned not Falang, no doubt some falangs are successful, though the reality is the

majority lose everything to a dream, IVE GOT A BAR IN THAILAND, and the

reality is that every month they are putting in some of there pension money just to pay

the bar rent, no matter how you look at this, Falang bar owners are working for the

Thais. They rent the premises from a Thai and in most cases even if they make

money, the landlord received more rent than the Falang bar owner made after

expenses.

Dave this isn’t aimed at any individual and I have no doubt you are one of the clever

ones, good bar good location, good product to sell (music atmosphere etc.)

How many bars leases are for are for sale now ? How many bar owners will be broke

before high season returns, how many bars go under a year. I do not know the

answers to these questions but I am sure the loses out way the winners

I got mad deja vu reading that :o

But overall the poster makes the valid point, that most farangs that set up bar businesses in Thailand and Pattaya fail. Is this statistically correct? We don't know but a fairly safe assumption based on people's experiences of bar owners.

This is most often the fault of lack of experience and bad business decisions by the bar owners, and also by not doing their 'due diligence' on the business before going ahead with it, not the fault of Pattaya.

Other long term bars.

peppermint

living dolls 1

living dolls showcase

dollhouse

mistys

happy

electric blue

carousel

supergirl

superbaby

hollywood

xcyte

shall i continue?

Some of the listed above are Clubs-GSome of the listed above are Clubs-GO GO bars

and are Thai owned not falang, no doubt some falangs are succseessful, though the

and the reality is that everymonth they are putting in some of there pension money

just to pay the bar rent, no matter how you look at this, Flang bar owners are working

for the Thais. They rent the premises from a Thai and in most cases even if they make

expenses.

Dave this isnt aimed at any idivdul and i have no doubt you are one of the clever ones,

How many bars leaeses are for are for sale now ? How many bar owners will be broke

before high season returns, how many bars go under a year. I dont know the answers

to these questions but I am sure the loses out way the winnersO GO bars and are Thai

owned not Falang, no doubt some falangs are successful, though the reality is the

reality is that every month they are putting in some of there pension money just to pay

the bar rent, no matter how you look at this, Falang bar owners are working for the

expenses.

Dave this isn’t aimed at any individual and I have no doubt you are one of the clever

How many bars leases are for are for sale now ? How many bar owners will be broke

and are Thai owned not falang

I'm afraid you are wrong.

All bars listed apart from Supergirl, superbaby, Hollywood and xcyte are 100% farang owned.

My source? The owners are my friends. :D

Other long term bars.

peppermint

living dolls 1

living dolls showcase

dollhouse

mistys

happy

electric blue

carousel

supergirl

superbaby

hollywood

xcyte

shall i continue?

expenses.

expenses.

All bars listed apart from Supergirl, superbaby, Hollywood and xcyte are 100% farang owned.

As I said Dave some of these business's are owned by Thais not Falangs, in this case 4, my source you, and of the others, how many own the land deeds, not many if any...

Other long term bars.

peppermint

living dolls 1

living dolls showcase

dollhouse

mistys

happy

electric blue

carousel

supergirl

superbaby

hollywood

xcyte

shall i continue?

expenses.

expenses.

As I said Dave some of these business's are owned by Thais not Falangs, in this case 4, my source you, and of the others, how many own the land deeds, not many if any...

You will also find that the majority of thai gogos, bars and clubs also do not own the land that they are on :D

Other farang owned bars-

Coyotee's

Lucifers (part thai)

Polo (japs) land owned by thai.

Beach club

Heavens Above

Diamond (part thai)

hootys

FLB

Its fairly obvious that a bar that owns its land will be far better off than one that rents. Most of the bar owners I know are in the fortunate position of actually owning the land on which the bar is sat on - that makes a huge difference and I'd suggest that many less well known bars, in obscure locations are likely to making a far higher net profit than many of the more famous bars, in particular along Walking Street given that they have no rent to pay. Assuming somebody had the commercial sense to buy a property, means that they in all liklihood also have a brain on their shoulders that means that they are commercially savvy in how to actually run a business with the intention of making money, as against many dreamers who just acquire a bar because they can and then find they have no ability, skill or work permit to actually allow them to make it a commercial and financial success.

The guys original point was well meant but poorly put. Far better to build a set of beer bars and then lease them out to suckers who have no idea. Many many wealthy Thais do that and for no effort other than collecting the rent, they have build some very nice incomes, mostly cash in hand and large key money amounts. Only a sucker would take a lease on that basis, but they keep coming back.

location laocation location, and a little bit of common sense, when someone talks here about bar ownership like the original poster on this thread they are not reffferring to large entertainment venues like the "blues factory" or go go's, they are talking about bars, you know TV pool table a few seats - outdoor, i myself am looking for such a place in the near future, I don't expect to make a massive amount of money but just enough to pay the rent and buy a few beers, you guys with the big money and the big venues can say what you like, but the little bars do business and if you choose right and run it well (not rocket science) you'll do OK, I went the the blues factory quite a few times but I must say I spent most of my money in the little bars on the way there while the BF was empty (not good business in my books) or the way home, the reason i didn't spend most of the evening in the BF was because it was not economical to do so, I understand that the drinks will be a little bit more expensive to cover the entertainment etc I drink vodka and have done all my life, I enjoy a full wholesume drink...... and i stop there

Profits at what cost ?????????

The guys original point was well meant but poorly put. Far better to build a set of beer bars and then lease them out to suckers who have no idea. Many many wealthy Thais do that and for no effort other than collecting the rent, they have build some very nice incomes, mostly cash in hand and large key money amounts. Only a sucker would take a lease on that basis, but they keep coming back.

Exactly right :o Hence the reason why its almost impossible to buy any land in the Walking st and Beach Rd area.

I'm surprised the owner of the land that the blues factory is on does'nt change it to beer bars as my rent is very very reasonable. :D

I think that the reason that so many bar owners and business owners in Pattaya go broke is a lack of experience in that field in the first place. They could be doing any job at home, bus driver, warehouse worker, builder, then come over to a foreign country and try to run a business which they have never attempted to run before in their life.

Pattaya is an excellent location to own a bar, its busy, got plenty of visitors every year and one of Thailand's busiest nightlife scenes all within easy reach of Bangkok.

You give joe bloggs the english cab driver a couple of million baht to start a bar here with no real knowledge of Thailand and no business smarts then odds on it's going to go pear shaped. Give the same money to say Donald Trump, and you'll have a booming bar in a years time.

Whatever the background of the person, its the hard workers with the business brains that do well here, not the dreamers that are so often misled into thinking its easy money everyday. Unfortunately Pattaya has a large amount of dreamers, hence the high failiure rate. Look's like Poppa was one of the dreamers.

[/

quote]

something iam finding hard to understand has any of you guys read my first post

firstly i was giving my oppinion of the way i see ownng a business out here

,sorry if i have a oppinion

and as i stated i came out here 3 years ago and have never got involved in any business out here as i realised from the start if you cannot speak the language you dont have much chance of success

i have found it a nightmare buying a house and car in a company name , getting jobs done tiling etc patios and the like , hope this clears up a few points

location laocation location, and a little bit of common sense, when someone talks here about bar ownership like the original poster on this thread they are not reffferring to large entertainment venues like the "blues factory" or go go's, they are talking about bars, you know TV pool table a few seats - outdoor, i myself am looking for such a place in the near future, I don't expect to make a massive amount of money but just enough to pay the rent and buy a few beers, you guys with the big money and the big venues can say what you like, but the little bars do business and if you choose right and run it well (not rocket science) you'll do OK, I went the the blues factory quite a few times but I must say I spent most of my money in the little bars on the way there while the BF was empty (not good business in my books) or the way home,  the reason i didn't spend most of the evening in the BF was because it was not economical to do so, I understand that the drinks will be a little bit more expensive to cover the entertainment etc I drink vodka and have done all my life, I enjoy a full wholesume drink...... and i stop there

Depending on the time of night for the bf to be empty?

I'm not going to show figures or defend the bf but it does ok. :o

... have found it a nightmare buying a house and car in a company name , getting jobs done tiling etc patios and the like...

All this nonsense because the <deleted> guy can't get someone to tile his patio???????

Amazing Thailand.

Time to go home and get a job poppa.

location laocation location, and a little bit of common sense, when someone talks here about bar ownership like the original poster on this thread they are not reffferring to large entertainment venues like the "blues factory" or go go's, they are talking about bars, you know TV pool table a few seats - outdoor, i myself am looking for such a place in the near future, I don't expect to make a massive amount of money but just enough to pay the rent and buy a few beers, you guys with the big money and the big venues can say what you like, but the little bars do business and if you choose right and run it well (not rocket science) you'll do OK, I went the the blues factory quite a few times but I must say I spent most of my money in the little bars on the way there while the BF was empty (not good business in my books) or the way home,  the reason i didn't spend most of the evening in the BF was because it was not economical to do so, I understand that the drinks will be a little bit more expensive to cover the entertainment etc I drink vodka and have done all my life, I enjoy a full wholesume drink...... and i stop there

One of the other things people don?t take into account when

Opening a bar is the original investment cost of the business

any where between half and a million baht aprox

for a small bar.

Who would expect a living from that small investment?

Only dreamers!!!!. Three years and there gone.

Or as some one pointed out they start to dip into the pension fund.

That?s if the girlfriend and family an't got there first. ( they will try)

I myself have serious reservations about investment in this town.

You just never know where you will stand with your investment in ten years time.

Not for me. I just drink the beer in the bars if it?s cheap enough.

Certainly not cheap in some of the places mentioned in this thread

and I earn my money out side the tourist industry.

so im not bais like some people. (all bar owners)

Have a nice day.