Buying Into A Business

poppa

Certainly not cheap in some of the places mentioned in this thread

Like The Blues Factory?

You pay for what you get in my opinion, anyone who thinks the bf is too expensive then they are quite welcome to drink elsewhere. (ps my happy hour is until 10pm and its draught beer at 30bht) Is that too expensive?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like The Blues Factory?

You pay for what you get in my opinion, anyone who thinks the bf is too expensive then they are quite welcome to drink elsewhere. (ps my happy hour is until 10pm and its draught beer at 30bht) Is that too expensive?

I'd walk from CM for beer at that price. :o

Like The Blues Factory?

That?s a very good price for happy hour

I just can't stand drinking on my own

:o:D:D:D:D:D

Like The Blues Factory?

Good price Dave and good luck to you.

Although I have never met you I have read a lot of your contributions to TV and in my opinion you are one of the more sensible down to earth posters.

You have an established business with a good name providing a product which the public want and they are happy to pay your prices.

As for people who knock business owners just for the sake of it they are generally people who have never been in business and who have never even tried to earn a living by doing it themselves, they merely rely on income from investments or a regular wage working for someone else which they are perfectly entitled to do.

So after all the genaralisations by all the gloom and doom merchants there are plenty of falang business owners in Pattaya who are happy doing what they do.

Not everyone wants to make a fortune many are content with paying their way and earning enough to live their life in LOS, which means that they will go through quiet periods as well as busy periods. This is applicable to most businesses wherever they are located in the world.

The business failure rate will also be fairly high within the firsty three years as it is with new business start ups everywhere else in the world not just Pattaya or elsewhere in Thailand.

So to you would be entrepeneurs I would say live your dream, do your homework, think sensibly, but don`t be put off by stick in the mud wannabes who have probably never had the guts to have a go themselves. :o

Cheers :D

I'm terrified of the bar going downhill as I also see business's coming and going. :o

I have a wife, stepkids, pets and house bills to pay so its a massive responsibility for me because once the clubs gone my income is gone. as for savings :D None :D

I'm terrified of the bar going downhill as I also see business's coming and going. :o

I have a wife, stepkids, pets and house bills to pay so its a massive responsibility for me because once the clubs gone my income is gone. as for savings :D None :D

Imagine that you are being sarcastic here.

as for savings :D None :D

Dave

You are one of the successful venue owners in Pattaya and so your opinion should be respected.

I would like to know............

Would you do it again, knowing what you know now?

I know which side of the bar I would rather be.

Imagine that you are being sarcastic here.

as for savings :D None :D

Dave

You are one of the successful venue owners in Pattaya and so your opinion should be respected.

I would like to know............

Would you do it again, knowing what you know now?

I know which side of the bar I would rather be.

Yes I would without a doubt.

I'm very proud of the club and very protective of it going downhill, The annoying things are having to go out most bloody nights of the week. :D I try to have 2 days in a row off at home so as I can not drink any alcohol and recharge myself ready for the next piss up. :D

I hear alot of horror stories regarding police, mafia etc etc and I can honestly say I don't have a problem with any of this. Its taken me just over 3 years to suss it out here in pattaya (and by no means do i know it all), i've been screwed by staff, taxmen (VAT) etc but its now legal, safe and correct :D I've got the new Taksin legislation entertainment license already, all farangs have 1 year permits, visa's and certificates.

:D

Yes I would without a doubt.

I'm very proud of the club and very protective of it going downhill, The annoying things are having to go out most bloody nights of the week.  I try to have 2 days in a row off at home so as I can not drink any alcohol and recharge myself ready for the next piss up. 

I hear alot of horror stories regarding police, mafia etc etc and I can honestly say I don't have a problem with any of this. Its taken me just over 3 years to suss it out here in pattaya (and by no means do i know it all), i've been screwed by staff, taxmen (VAT) etc but its now legal, safe and correct  I've got the new Taksin legislation entertainment license already, all farangs have 1 year permits, visa's and certificates.

I think you may be a little bit mad :D , but good for you.

Like I say I,m happy on the customers side of the bar and next time in Pattaya may pop along and take advantage of the 30 Baht Happy Hour.

PS better watch the mods, they may think you are advertising :o

I pop into the Blues Factory a couple of times every trip, and the only time I have found it "empty" was usually during the first hour after it opens. After that it's almost standing room only.

I've seen a few business's fail over the last few years, beer bars and restaurants mostly. Seen quite a few change hands for one reason or another.

As an earlier poster mentioned, some of these people come here and, with no experience and fewer brains, think they will be able to lead the life of Riley by buying a bar.

Some of the ads tend to be misleading. So much for the bar and so much for "key money", it all sounds really cheap. Then the bills start coming in. Water, power, wages, taxes, stock, ect.

It's low season, business sucks. Your bar isn't much different that the other 2,999 bars that litter Pattaya. You think you came up with a really cool name for the bar, but so what ? You need more than a name to draw in customers.

You don't have a work permit, so all you can do is watch. Meanwhile, you're drinking for free, and many of your friends are too, as you try to impress them with the fact you own the bar. Unfortunately, with only you and your free-loading friends drinking, there isn't a lot of business.

Because of that, you seem to have a very high turn-over rate amongst your staff. Don't really need too many any ways, as there's not alot of customers. Pretty soon you have to dip into your savings to meet the bills, but that's OK, because high season is only a few months away, you'll make it back then.......

But you don't. Why not ? Same as before, yours is just 1 of 3,000 similar bars, and lots of them have better locations, unlike yours on the end of that side alley off of soi 7. Soon you have to make a decision. Wait for better times, or sell out to some other fresh-faced sucker ? Maybe then you'll still have enough left in your savings to survive on.

I have never owned a business in Thailand, bar or otherwise. I've talked to some who have, and I know a little about what it takes here (or anywhere for that matter).

It's not too different from the attitude many of these people have regarding BG's. They come here, meet a girl and a week later are ready to drop everything so they can come back and marry their new found tee-rak.

Is it something in the air ? The water ? What is it that makes so many of these people sooooo stupid, soooo quickly after arriving ? Please tell me, because I'd like to get the marketing rights for it ! :o

I pop into the Blues Factory a couple of times every trip, and the only time I have found it "empty" was usually during the first hour after it opens. After that it's almost standing room only.

I've seen a few business's fail over the last few years, beer bars and restaurants mostly. Seen quite a few change hands for one reason or another.

As an earlier poster mentioned, some of these people come here and, with no experience and fewer brains, think they will be able to lead the life of Riley by buying a bar.

Some of the ads tend to be misleading. So much for the bar and so much for "key money", it all sounds really cheap. Then the bills start coming in. Water, power, wages, taxes, stock, ect.

It's low season, business sucks. Your bar isn't much different that the other 2,999 bars that litter Pattaya. You think you came up with a really cool name for the bar, but so what ? You need more than a name to draw in customers.

You don't have a work permit, so all you can do is watch. Meanwhile, you're drinking for free, and many of your friends are too, as you try to impress them with the fact you own the bar. Unfortunately, with only you and your free-loading friends drinking, there isn't a lot of business.

Because of that, you seem to have a very high turn-over rate amongst your staff. Don't really need too many any ways, as there's not alot of customers. Pretty soon you have to dip into your savings to meet the bills, but that's OK, because high season is only a few months away, you'll make it back then.......

But you don't. Why not ? Same as before, yours is just 1 of 3,000 similar bars, and lots of them have better locations, unlike yours on the end of that side alley off of soi 7. Soon you have to make a decision. Wait for better times, or sell out to some other fresh-faced sucker ? Maybe then you'll still have enough left in your savings to survive on.

I have never owned a business in Thailand, bar or otherwise. I've talked to some who have, and I know a little about what it takes here (or anywhere for that matter).

It's not too different from the attitude many of these people have regarding BG's. They come here, meet a girl and a week later are ready to drop everything so they can come back and marry their new found tee-rak.

Is it something in the air ? The water ? What is it that makes so many of these people sooooo stupid, soooo quickly after arriving ? Please tell me, because I'd like to get the marketing rights for it !  :D

Kerryd....you must know the answer to this one...it`s called passion or usually said this way..."It`s better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all" :o

Kerryd....you must know the answer to this one...it`s called passion or usually said this way..."It`s better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all" :o

But is it love when you've only known the girl for a few days ? Myself, I've loved and lost many times in Pattaya, sometimes every night :D but I've never lost my head (or bank account).

Same thing as far as owning a business. Sure, I'd love to have a steady source of income in Pattaya (aside from what I've got already). In '98, I thought about an internet cafe, as there wasn't too many of them around. By 2000, there was one (or two) on every block.

Unless you can find a good location (there's that word again), almost any kind of business is going to have a hard time making it, whether it's a bar, restaurant, internet cafe, tour agency or what ever.

Some of it depends on your expectations. Are you looking to just make enough to pay the bills, and give yourself something to do, or are you expecting to make enough to finance a hi-so lifestyle, with trips back to the mother country once or twice a year ?

Like anything (almost), if you jump in with both feet without looking first, you may find to your dismay that the water is pretty shallow.

Edited by Kerryd

But is it love when you've only known the girl for a few days ? Myself, I've loved and lost many times in Pattaya, sometimes every night :D but I've never lost my head (or bank account).

Same thing as far as owning a business. Sure, I'd love to have a steady source of income in Pattaya (aside from what I've got already). In '98, I thought about an internet cafe, as there wasn't too many of them around. By 2000, there was one (or two) on every block.

Unless you can find a good location (there's that word again), almost any kind of business is going to have a hard time making it, whether it's a bar, restaurant, internet cafe, tour agency or what ever.

Some of it depends on your expectations. Are you looking to just make enough to pay the bills, and give yourself something to do, or are you expecting to make enough to finance a hi-so lifestyle, with trips back to the mother country once or twice a year ?

Like anything (almost), if you jump in with both feet without looking first, you may find to your dismay that the water is pretty shallow.

You should have opened the internet cafe.... In those days you would have earned much baht...to-day of course the customer charges are falling rapidly and there are cafes where they charge only 20 or 30 baht an hour.

Position of a business is vitally important if the business is designed to attract people in off the street....not important if it is internet based.

I know people in Pattaya who run bars....not to generate a great amount of income but to enjoy the lifestyle and everything that Pattaya has to offer.

As in any other walk of life usually jumping in with both feet will injure toes....but in reality who can really say which is right or wrong.

We can only judge how we ourselves would handle a particular situation.

If you have had a mititary background or a diciplined way of life then you would be more cautious than a person who has not.

On the other hand with the best will in the world you can still fail to succeed for various reasons in business which can be outside of your control.

At the end of the day every individual is different and has to make their own mind up as to whether they see the opening of a business as a major risk or an enjoyable experience even for only a few years.

Anyway I am just about to close my business in the Uk for the day...Yep even work on a Sunday...but this pays for my 4 or so trips a year to Pattaya and keep my wife in the manner that she has become accustomed (much satang always required) God bless her.

Keep smiling. :D

So to you would be entrepeneurs I would say live your dream, do your homework, think sensibly, but don`t be put off by stick in the mud wannabes who have probably never had the guts to have a go themselves. :o

Top quality advice man.

Not.

You may not care a toss about people who come here and

Loose there life savings, I have seen this and its not nice.

they may well be fools and idiots and some my say they

deserve it, but the end result is not good and some times

Very tragic.

you need to be a very special person and need something

Special to make it in this town. Good luck to all that have.

But please don't tell people to Live there dreams

This an't the town for that (in business that is).

Keep your money in your pockets boys and girls

Spend it in a bar not on a bar.

All you have a nice holiday when come to town.

People Talking from afar again.

Ice Cubes you have certainly done your homework on Pattaya :D

Well the only home work i need now days

Is special needs class every week down Soi 6

They tell me i?m coming along just fine.

AHH so you are a sex tourist then? :o

That?s not very nice,

lost our sense of humour have we :D

Not at all :D

Just pulling your chain :D

Ice Cubes you have certainly done your homework on Pattaya :o

I have attended those classes as well. I'm trying to get my grades up, though my oral work was fine. Teachers also praised my diligence.

Ice Cubes you have certainly done your homework on Pattaya :D

I have attended those classes as well. I'm trying to get my grades up, though my oral work was fine. Teachers also praised my diligence.

Very witty.

:o

Finally popped by the BF for the first time two thursdays ago, around 10 pm- great live band (and that was the warm up band I believe?) and the place was at least half full, good vibe too.

I can relate to anyone who starts a biz in LOS with pure passion for what they do and absolute belief in their product (versus, I'll just start a bar beer etc to keep from being bored).

Having said that, it's still no garauntee and I know it. Having said that, since this is the "dog days of low season" and BF was 1/2 full very early in the evening on a non weekend night, obviously it's doing just fine. Must be absolutely heaving in the high season as well then.

PS, we mistakenly went into another live music place up walking st about midnight-Turned out to be boy/girl bands covering boy/girl bands :D all minimalist white on white interior and 160 baht for a tiger... :D there were about 20 people in there... :o

Finally popped by the BF for the first time two thursdays ago, around 10 pm- great live band (and that was the warm up band I believe?) and the place was at least half full, good vibe too.

I can relate to anyone who starts a biz in LOS with pure passion for what they do and absolute belief in their product (versus, I'll just start a bar beer etc to keep from being bored).

Having said that, it's still no garauntee and I know it. Having said that, since this is the "dog days of low season" and BF was 1/2 full very early in the evening on a non weekend night, obviously it's doing just fine. Must be absolutely heaving in the high season as well then.

PS, we mistakenly went into another live music place up walking st about midnight-Turned out to be boy/girl bands covering boy/girl bands  :D  all minimalist white on white interior and 160 baht for a tiger... :D  there were about 20 people in there... :o

Thats the houseband, :D

Top quality advice man.

Not.

You may not care a toss about people who come here and

Loose there life savings, I have seen this and its not nice.

they may well be fools and idiots and some my say they

deserve it, but the end result is not good and some times

Very tragic.

you need to be a very special person and need something

Special to make it in this town. Good luck to all that have.

But please don't tell people to Live there dreams

This an't the town for that (in business that is).

Keep your money in your pockets boys and girls

Spend it in a bar not on a bar.

All you have a nice holiday when come to town.

People Talking from afar again.

Sure some go bust others have a great time...same as anywhere else in the world.

You can`t put everyone in the same pot and live their lives for them....otherwise you may become a boring old far*t.....not that I am saying that about you Ice Cubes... I can see that you "Live your Dreams"

Didn`t you say it was down Soi Six. :D:D

location laocation location, and a little bit of common sense, when someone talks here about bar ownership like the original poster on this thread they are not reffferring to large entertainment venues like the "blues factory" or go go's, they are talking about bars, you know TV pool table a few seats - outdoor, i myself am looking for such a place in the near future, I don't expect to make a massive amount of money but just enough to pay the rent and buy a few beers, you guys with the big money and the big venues can say what you like, but the little bars do business and if you choose right and run it well (not rocket science) you'll do OK, I went the the blues factory quite a few times but I must say I spent most of my money in the little bars on the way there while the BF was empty (not good business in my books) or the way home,  the reason i didn't spend most of the evening in the BF was because it was not economical to do so, I understand that the drinks will be a little bit more expensive to cover the entertainment etc I drink vodka and have done all my life, I enjoy a full wholesume drink...... and i stop there

Profits at what cost ?????????

Depending on the time of night for the bf to be empty?

I'm not going to show figures or defend the bf but it does ok. :o

you obviously didn't quite get the meaning of my last sentence, I will go a little further - I watched my drinks being poured at the BF and sent quite a few back to be properly filled, so if you are doing OK it would appear to me that your margins are achieved through questionable practice, Dave you are getting the view of an unhappy customer here.....take it onboard right or wrong, love the music but I get tanked up before arrival, it won't stop me going but buying a drink there will be kept to a minimum any time of the day, if you want to discuss PM me.

I also noticed quite a number of other establishments where the alchohol content of certain drinks where very questionable, i guess this happens at home too.

Edited by gharknes