Buying Into A Business

poppa

location laocation location, and a little bit of common sense, when someone talks here about bar ownership like the original poster on this thread they are not reffferring to large entertainment venues like the "blues factory" or go go's, they are talking about bars, you know TV pool table a few seats - outdoor, i myself am looking for such a place in the near future, I don't expect to make a massive amount of money but just enough to pay the rent and buy a few beers, you guys with the big money and the big venues can say what you like, but the little bars do business and if you choose right and run it well (not rocket science) you'll do OK, I went the the blues factory quite a few times but I must say I spent most of my money in the little bars on the way there while the BF was empty (not good business in my books) or the way home,  the reason i didn't spend most of the evening in the BF was because it was not economical to do so, I understand that the drinks will be a little bit more expensive to cover the entertainment etc I drink vodka and have done all my life, I enjoy a full wholesume drink...... and i stop there

Profits at what cost ?????????

Depending on the time of night for the bf to be empty?

I'm not going to show figures or defend the bf but it does ok. :D

you obviously didn't quite get the meaning of my last sentence, I will go a little further - I watched my drinks being poured at the BF and sent quite a few back to be properly filled, so if you are doing OK it would appear to me that your margins are achieved through questionable practice, Dave you are getting the view of an unhappy customer here.....take it onboard right or wrong, love the music but I get tanked up before arrival, it won't stop me going but buying a drink there will be kept to a minimum any time of the day, if you want to discuss PM me.

I also noticed quite a number of other establishments where the alchohol content of certain drinks where very questionable, i guess this happens at home too.

What kind of drinks are we talking about here?

It must be an isolated incident as I always sit at the bar and I see drinks going out, unless you like them filled to the brim?

As far as I know you are the only complaint i've heard for a while, I;m not saying it did'nt happen but I don't believe it happens on a regular basis.

Have you sent every drink back or maybe 1 or 2? :o

Edited by davethailand

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people assume that buying a bar is the ONLY business available in Pattaya? There are many alternatives to buying into a bar, for the same sort of money. I am a business owner twice over, both businesses are nothing to do with entertainment, and a lot of my friends are also non-bar business owners. Do your due dilligence as in any other country and you have a greater chance of success.

There is more to Pattaya than bars. Yes I know thats difficult for you to grasp Dave :o

Why do people assume that buying a bar is the ONLY business available in Pattaya? There are many alternatives to buying into a bar, for the same sort of money. I am a business owner twice over, both businesses are nothing to do with entertainment, and a lot of my friends are also non-bar business owners. Do your due dilligence as in any other country and you have a greater chance of success.

There is more to Pattaya than bars. Yes I know thats difficult for you to grasp Dave :o

It was'nt me who brought bars into the thread :D

My aim is to earn enough money to buy another business (not a bloody bar) for the wife.

If I'd of had the dough i'd have given you a bell. :D

The thread started slating bar owners straight away

but the mugs arrive everyday ,  can you imagine buying a bar then have to sit on the other side of the bar whilst your getting fleeced by your loyal smiling staff
23 views and No replys ,  your all bar donors , is that right

Then i replied-

No I'm a bar OWNER and your talking <deleted> :o
Then he replied-
your the guy who donates to the blues factory and are about to go broke , never mind at least all the thais around you have plenty of money , so they will be all right

And there it goes on :D

I'm not saying this because Dave's a mate, but I honestly havent seen a more attentive owner to whats going on his bar and with the customers. I'd be shocked to see this happen - his staff is great. If there was a problem why didnt you bring it to his attention? :o

but the mugs arrive everyday ,  can you imagine buying a bar then have to sit on the other side of the bar whilst your getting fleeced by your loyal smiling staff
Then i replied-
No I'm a bar OWNER and your talking <deleted> :D

Then he replied-

your the guy who donates to the blues factory and are about to go broke , never mind at least all the thais around you have plenty of money , so they will be all right

Yes but no, but yes Dave .

You were the first to make a comment on this thread.

You did not need to respond to it at all,

but you did.

Oops we just can't let it slide by can we.

:o

but the mugs arrive everyday ,   can you imagine buying a bar then have to sit on the other side of the bar whilst your getting fleeced by your loyal smiling staff
Then i replied-
No I'm a bar OWNER and your talking <deleted> :D

Then he replied-

Yes but no, but yes Dave .

You were the first to make a comment on this thread.

You did not need to respond to it at all,

but you did.

Oops we just can't let it slide by can we.

Sure :D

I always respond as I can feel a bit of entertainment on the way. :D

Sure :o

I always respond as I can feel a bit of entertainment on the way. :D

The stage is all yours man.

Please perform some more, you never know

We might even get some of the people off the side lines.

After all it?s only the entertainment business.

And I?m sure we all like a laugh as well.

Have a nice night.

:D

all very interesting so far regarding owning a business- especially bars.

unless you have an original idea- of which to be honest there aint many left and if there was then as soon as you did open it some bugger would copy you and so it better- then the main point regarding having a business is the STAFF.

No matter what business you are in - but especially in the hospitality/ bar/ holidays industry you will live or die by your staff.

Now i know this is thailand but no matter how nice a bar or how cheap the beer if the staff aint right for the place and are customer focused- i know i know perhaps the wrong phrase bearing in mind pattaya bars - then the place will fail.

how many times have we all been in a gogo bar to see a miserable gogo girl just going thru the motions - do we want to stay and drink there -no

If you are made to feel welcome and not feel as tho we are being ripped off .

i know a bar owner in pattaya who leaves all the bar hiring and firing to his missus - but she employs ugly birds who have no personality so that they aint a threat to her.perhaps this may save her marraige but is it good business sense.

and before anyone questions my credentials i run holiday parks in the uk so i know a thing or two about bars and "entertainment"

Staffing will always be the strongest or weakest part of any business- that - apart from alcohilism is probably the main reason- why so many farang bars fail- they cannot have any control- or dont know how to.

here endeth the lesson :o:D:D

Just one other thing , after reading all these replys can some one tell me if i was talking <deleted> or was i hitting the nail on the head

i see no one wants to meet up for a drink perhaps we could have a different venue regards poppa

Very true, your staff are everything in Business.

One of the main problems I see over here is people taking over a bar then

employing the same staff that were there before. Thus inheriting

all the same attitudes and problems from before. Not a very smart thing to do.

I mean how many bars you been in and the owner has changed but the staff are the same. loads.

Also trying to stop the miss?s from hiring some friends and family,

Very very hard that one, they always get one or two in some how.

This can make it hard for you to control the day to day running.

the little control you have that is..

But not impossible.

One other thing, training your staff and keeping them, very difficult.

But some places around town have done a great job.

Won?t mention any names think that?s a bit crap. But others well!!

We tend not to go back to those places.

Have a nice day.

all very interesting so far regarding owning a business- especially bars.

unless you have an original idea- of which to be honest there aint many left and if there was then as soon as you did open it some bugger would copy you and so it better- then the main point regarding having a business is the STAFF.

No matter what business you are in - but especially in the hospitality/ bar/ holidays  industry you will live or die by your staff.

Now i know this is thailand but no matter how nice a bar or how cheap the beer if the staff aint right for the place and are customer focused- i know i know perhaps the wrong phrase bearing in mind pattaya bars - then the place will fail.

how many times have we all been in a gogo bar to see a miserable gogo girl just going thru the motions - do we want to stay and drink there -no

If you are made to feel welcome and not feel as tho we are being ripped off .

i know a bar owner in pattaya who leaves all the bar hiring and firing to his missus - but she employs ugly birds who have no personality so that they aint a threat to her.perhaps this may save her marraige but is it good business sense.

and before anyone questions my credentials i run holiday parks in the uk so i know a thing or two about bars and "entertainment"

Staffing  will always be the strongest or weakest part of any business- that - apart from alcohilism is probably the main reason-  why so many farang bars fail- they cannot have any control- or dont know how to.

here endeth the lesson :D  :D  :D

I am very pleased with my team of staff, The manager sorts them out, I sort him out.

The majority of my staff have been there for at least 2 years. some 3 years and some since the opening night.

Most of the service are boyfriend/ girlfriend etc and I know that I can leave the place for a time without incident. :o

(ps my happy hour is until 10pm and its draught beer at 30bht) Is that too expensive?

Oh <deleted>..... you kept that quiet... I'll get there earlier next time... :D

totster :D

There are pretty girls standing tantalizingly on Walking Street holding up BF signs to that effect... :D

It's a decent-sized mug of chilly Chang... and downright tasty whilst listening to Chicago Bob's guitar pick do it's magic. :o

(ps my happy hour is until 10pm and its draught beer at 30bht) Is that too expensive?

Oh <deleted>..... you kept that quiet... I'll get there earlier next time... :D

totster :D

There are pretty girls standing tantalizingly on Walking Street holding up BF signs to that effect... :D

Now I have a problem with this. When I'm with my wife I often stop and "read" what's on offer. When we move on she asks "what did that say?" My reply "Uhmmmmmmmmmmm" :o

Dave,

that was just a general obsevation regardin business - not a slight on your establishment. i have only been in your place- i didnt know you owned it- a few times but i have always been served very quickly even when there have been a few at the bar - or the waitress has been quick. only problem is tho i cant hear my missus talk -- er problem -- cancel that - i will come more often :D:D:D:o:D

Dave,

that was just a general obsevation regardin business - not a slight on your establishment. i have only been in your place- i didnt know you owned it- a few times but  i have always been served very quickly even when there have been a few at the bar - or the waitress has been quick. only problem is tho i cant hear my missus talk -- er problem -- cancel that - i will come more often  :D  :D  :D  :o  :D

I agree with your comments 100% :D