Nationwide Bs

GEZMAC

Just used my nationwise debit card and was charged 2% plus one pound, with the thai atm charge of 150 baht this is getting expensive. I have money paid into my flex account on a monthly basis so bringing lump sums out is not an option, just wondwewd if anyone knows of a uk bank that doesn't charge. Cheers in advance.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No charge Debit Cards:

Metro Bank (Have to go to London in order to open).

Cumberland Building Society(must have an address in their branch area

Norwich and Peterborough Building Society (from January 1st 2011) Link

Credit Cards(Purchases) :

Santander Zero credit card

Halifax Clarity credit card

SAGA credit card

Post Office Classic credit card

The first three credit cards can also be used for cash withdrawals if used prudently.

If you go to SCB with your visa debit card and ask for a cash advance you will pay 150baht only for withdrawing say your months pension, you can draw up to 200,000baht and still only pay 150baht.

In my experience most banks will screw you on the exchange rates, you don't get the true rate at the time of the transaction.

All banks will charge you to withdraw money overseas.

Come on now, that is just careless.

Care to explain?

Good enough? ;)

Some pretty obscure references there.

Are they of any use to the OP?

Are you ok? Did you slip and hit your head in the bathroom?

The OP asked

just wondwewd(sic) if anyone knows of a uk bank that doesn't charge.

My reply gives him exactly the answer he needed. He can apply online to the N&P or if he is due to visit the London area....

Yours was just completely erroneous.

No charge Debit Cards: Norwich and Peterborough Building Society (from January 1st 2011) Link
Unfortunately you've got to pay £5 a month to have the account................. Would love to be corrected though.

As long as you pay in £500 per month no £5 charge.

I will just transfer my monthly spending money each moth from my Nationwide accout, withwraw through AEON.

NO FEES!

I am gona apply on line right now.

Many Thanks Jiu Jitsu

:jap:

No charge Debit Cards: Norwich and Peterborough Building Society (from January 1st 2011) Link
Unfortunately you've got to pay £5 a month to have the account................. Would love to be corrected though.

As kevkev has written, the £5 charge is only if you don't pay more than £500 per month into the Gold Classic account.

If you don't want to do that, you can apply for the Gold Lite account. As long as you make at least five transactions per month on this account, there is also no £5 charge.

I wanted to echo the thank you to Jiu Jitsu for a good answer to the OP's question - very useful information indeed. I had heard of Metro through JCChandler in the finance section, but can confirm that you do indeed have to present in person at one of their London branches to open an account. So perhaps Peterborough is the best one at present. The other option is the Halifax Reward Account swift transfer at £9.50 (with £5 cashback if you transfer £1000 into the account per month).

Edited by citizen33

We don't have Aeon here in Sukhothai, l drew max money from Nationwide from atm Ayutthaya yesterday got 13,500 + 150 = 13,650 bht @ £284.39.could of got 14,000 but machine went cranky.

Edited by Kwasaki

Despite these new charges by Nationwide they are STILL the cheapest way to get money from an ATM

A small bonus is that they seem to use the interbank exchange rate which is usual a couple of baht more than the exchange booths.

No, they are not. They are not even in the top five.

Despite these new charges by Nationwide they are STILL the cheapest way to get money from an ATM

A small bonus is that they seem to use the interbank exchange rate which is usual a couple of baht more than the exchange booths.

Ok then don't keep us in suspenders who are they.:unsure:

Refer to post #6.

Prepaying the first three CCs prior to withdrawals are all a better option than the Nationwide DC. Plus the three current accounts aforementioned.

Nationwide are yesterday's news.

Refer to post #6.

Prepaying the first three CCs prior to withdrawals are all a better option than the Nationwide DC. Plus the three current accounts aforementioned.

No use to me l live in Thailand , Thanks anyway.

I wanted to echo the thank you to Jiu Jitsu for a good answer to the OP's question - very useful information indeed. I had heard of Metro through JCChandler in the finance section, but can confirm that you do indeed have to present in person at one of their London branches to open an account. So perhaps Peterborough is the best one at present. The other option is the Halifax Reward Account swift transfer at £9.50 (with £5 cashback if you transfer £1000 into the account per month).

The exchange rate isn't great.

Refer to post #6.

No use to me l live in Thailand , Thanks anyway.

Didn't you just write that you withdrew cash via the Nationwide?

Perhaps you mean that you no longer have access to a valid UK address in order to apply for a CC or a current account.

We don't have Aeon here in Sukhothai, l drew max money from Nationwide from atm Ayutthaya yesterday got 13,500 + 150 = 13,650 bht @ £284.39.could of got 14,000 but machine went cranky.

That seems like a good rate. Seems that you have left out the 2% plus £1 charge?

Are you saying this is true even if you send the money in Sterling and get the conversion done at the Thai end? There are several people in threads in the Banking section who reckon this is the best deal.

Refer to post #6.

Nationwide certainly aren't not what they used to be, I agree. But prepaying a credit card still makes you liable to 'cash withdrawal' charges of up to 3%

Nationwide charge 1% and not everyone can move to Cumberland (though the sausages might be worth it) or London. I agree that the Halifax Clarity is a good choice though.

I want to repeat that I think this is a really useful thread, and when I come back on a couple of points this is done more in the spirit of constructive dialogue as opposed to criticism. However, I am not sure that the information on pre-charging credit cards is correct. For example, this is what the FAQs for the Halifax Clarity card say:

Can I put money on my card to increase my available credit whilst on holiday?

Credit cards are not designed to be used this way. Using the card in this way breaches the product's Terms & Conditions, which state:

7.7 You must not make payments or transfer funds from another credit or store card to your account that would leave a credit balance on your account. We may return any funds that exceed the balance owing on your account to the account from which the money was sent

If anybody has sure knowledge that one of the no-fee credit cards allows positive balances that would be useful information. I suppose, failing that, a reasonable counterpoint would be that somebody with both an online Halifax Reward account and the Clarity account could make an online transfer between the accounts fairly smartly after incurring a debit balance and pay very little in interest.

Edited by citizen33

Refer to post #6.

Nationwide certainly aren't not what they used to be, I agree. But prepaying a credit card still makes you liable to 'cash withdrawal' charges of up to 3%

Nationwide charge 1% and not everyone can move to Cumberland (though the sausages might be worth it) or London. I agree that the Halifax Clarity is a good choice though.

Come on, do your research before you post. The three credit cards that I have recommended, levy no charges whatsoever if prepaid.

Nationwide charge 2% plus £1 on their debit card. From where did you get the 1% story?

There would also not be a need to move to London. You only need to visit in order to open the account. Once complete, you can use Internet banking. Plus there is still the option of N&P from next year.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Are you saying this is true even if you send the money in Sterling and get the conversion done at the Thai end? There are several people in threads in the Banking section who reckon this is the best deal.

Halifax show you the rate that is offered before you agree to send. The rate is curtailed. Check it for yourself.

I want to repeat that I think this is a really useful thread, and when I come back on a couple of points this is done more in the spirit of constructive dialogue as opposed to criticism. However, I am not sure that the information on pre-charging credit cards is correct. For example, this is what the FAQs for the Halifax Clarity card say:

Can I put money on my card to increase my available credit whilst on holiday?

Credit cards are not designed to be used this way. Using the card in this way breaches the product's Terms & Conditions, which state:

7.7 You must not make payments or transfer funds from another credit or store card to your account that would leave a credit balance on your account. We may return any funds that exceed the balance owing on your account to the account from which the money was sent

If anybody has sure knowledge that one of the no-fee credit cards allows positive balances that would be useful information. I suppose, failing that, a reasonable counterpoint would be that somebody with both an online Halifax Reward account and the Clarity account could make an online transfer between the accounts fairly smartly after incurring a debit balance and pay very little in interest.

I wrote that you have to be prudent when you use the credit cards. I didn't think that I needed to spell it out. But, it's as simple as withdrawing an amount and then immediately covering the amount via a Faster Payment transfer to the account from your bank account. Since the payments are credited within two hours, I can't imagine there will be any interest to be paid.

Though with the SAGA card, there is no need to go through that palaver. You can and should prepay that card if you intend to use it for cash withdrawals. You can use it like a debit card.