Going To Chiang Mai From Canada For 6 Months

I'm going to Chiang Mai from Canada for 6 month. I'm booking a return ticket for 6 months in advance. What is the best course of action for me? Should I get a visa upon arrival? Should I try to get one while in Canada? Should I get the extended stay visa and not worry about visa runs? How difficult is it to get a visa for 6 months? Thank you!

You need a Visa before departing or you may have problems boarding the flight.

You need a Double Entry Tourist Visa. With extensions from Thai Immigration and a border run in the middle this would give 6 months.

If you need longer you can always do another border run or get another Visa in a neighbouring country.

Thank you Lite Beer. Interesting. For some reason Thai Embassy of Canada does not talk about "Double Entry Tourist Visa", however I did find mentions in the stickies after I posted.

How easy/difficult is it to get such visa for an average person? I'm 28, male, no criminal records.

Thank you.

Is "Double Entry Tourist Visa" the same thing as outlined below (copy pasted from the sticky thread):

6 month validity, 2 to 4 entry tourist visa: pre-obtained at a Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate and will result in the holder obtaining a 60 day 'permission to stay' stamp upon entry if from a 30 day visa exempt entry country (listed below) or 30 days if not. If required, this type of visa may normally be extended by 30 days at an immigration office, but after that time the holder must leave the country. The holder may then return to the Kingdom and will obtain a second 60 day 'permission to stay' stamp which can also be extended as previous and then the holder must leave. After the stipulated number of entries the visa is “used”.

How easy/difficult is it to get such visa for an average person? I'm 28, male, no criminal records.

Most Consulates in the West will issue a Double with no problem.

You will find a Thai Consulate more helpful than the Embassy. Give them a ring and ask.

Also Tourist Visas are free until March 31st.

It may be very hard to obtain without an itinerary showing you leaving and needing a second entry as it is not intended for your use (long stay - reserved for retirement over age 50 only) but actual issue will be up to the Consulate and people involved. If a two entry not available get the free single entry. You can easily obtain a new tourist visa with an overnight trip to Laos or other country after your first 90 days.

You will find a Thai Consulate more helpful than the Embassy. Give them a ring and ask.

I'm from the capital, and it seems like we only have the embassy option. At least that is all that is listed on their website. Will call tomorrow and ask for referral.

Also Tourist Visas are free until March 31st.

You mean it's free starting now until March? Is it common or are they just trying to boost tourism temporarily?

Thank you.

Toronto

2. Tourist Visa Fee

Tourist Visa fee is currently Waived for the first entry, replaced by a $10 service fee for a single entry visa. Double entry visa $35, Triple entry visa $70. Only money orders or Cash are accepted if sent by mail. No personal cheques or company cheques will be accepted under any circumstances.

You can easily obtain a new tourist visa with an overnight trip to Laos or other country after your first 90 days.

Overnight stay is a requirement for obtaining a new visa? That means a simple visa run won't cut it, right?

Thank you.

Edited by thaitar

Although it's a long way from Ottawa, I've found the Thai consulate in Vancouver very helpful. Got triple entry tourist visas in the past. Not on that now, but maybe they're still great to work with.

Just talked to the embassy here. The lady told me that they only give double entry visas, and it only gives me 120 days total. Obviously she probably was not accounting for extensions. Also I'm actually going for a bit longer than 6 months, which means I need triple entry visa. I could go the overnight run suggested before. However my concern is about the airport. Will they let me fly if my return date is 7 months from the departure date, and I only have a double entry visa with 60 days on it?

Edit: lol just called a different city, and they were like, ya no probs, we'll give you tripe entry. I was like how difficult is it to get? The dude was like, you just apply and we give it to you... Why is there such difference in the procedures? Sounds crazy.

Thanks!

Edited by thaitar

As long as you have a Visa there is no problem.

As you said with extensions you will get 6 months.

EDIT.

Go for the triple. :thumbsup:

All Embassies/Consulates have different rules.

I am not sure but I think the "use by" date for the last entry will have expired before he can actually use it, The double shouldn't be any problem if he waits until a few weeks before he leaves to get it issued. In any event .... a jump up to Vientiane at the expiry of a single entry visa if needed will eliminate any future issues as you stated.

Edited by jdinasia