The Violence Poll

bkkmadness

157 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

>>>>It was'nt shortly after you moved "up-country" by any chance?

Yes, I was dancing alone in a huge crowd having a great time. My wife was at

home and i stumbled upon this party via me motorcy. I dont remember me

dancing specifically with her, there were tons around me :o The

guy comes flying out of Nachon Nowhere swinging like windmill.

Another thing to remember is these guy lose no face by suckerpunching people,

in the US suckerpunching is frowned apon. (at least if there is no oil in the equasion :D )

Edited by Nam Kao

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i didnt count the wife in this!!! she attacked me with a carving knife when she went through the change :D i locked myself in the toilet and she attacked the door for about 10 mins and then called the old bill and said id attacked her :D:D:D they nearly carted me off until she snapped again :o thank god that is over with now :D

I have had heaps of problems with Thais and Farangs, but that was a few years ago when I was drinking a litttle to much.

One incident that comes to mind was, I was chatting with a few local Thai guys on Bangala Rd and some idiot in ear shot had taken offence to something I was chatting about with the other guys (very jovial and we were all laughing). Anyway I got sucker punched by a 45 kg stick insect and I just casually said to him to not take it any further - he then hit me again as I turned away to difuse the situation and again I warned him. Anyway the third sucker punch was not a good idea and I knocked the living crap out of him and left him sleeping on the road... I was pleasantly surprised no one jumped in to help him - my good luck on the night :o

many other times over the years here and I personally feel the majority of them are piss weak thugs, who should stick to there own weight class :D .

Poll edited as per your wish Profart,

and I have never been a victim of violence, but there was an incident at our wedding shindig, where one of the guests (he was fairly tanked) wanted a cigarette, being a non-smoker I said I didn't have any, to which he reacted badly, violence was circumvented by brother-in-law and his mates, could've happened anywhere I spose.

I have had heaps of problems with Thais and Farangs when I was drinking a litttle to much.

...and I knocked the living crap out of him and left him sleeping on the road

No wonder Georgie was worried last year when you and Basher were going to 'visit' him! :o

Never been attacked but looking at the shocking result (30%) it will probably happen very soon :o

The result is even more shocking as I would assume most people here are pretty familiar with Thailand and knows how to behave here and what places to avoid.

Edited by ZZZ

I have never been personally attacked by Thais.

I have been in threatening situations though, on two occasions when upcountry and everyone was tanked on rocket fuel... and I was the only falung there and dancing with the prettiest girls in the village... :D

It's a situation that would cause dissent and unease in any country I would guess... :o

I also guess the fact that I am approximately twice their body mass and size makes them think before crossing the line... :D

I voted no.

:D

Edited by Jai Dee

It's a pity you missed a few out.

No, I have never been attacked by a Thai; but,

Have you ever been attacked for no reason by a:

Englishman...........yes

Scotsman.............yes

Irishman...............yes

German................yes

Swede...................yes

Dane.....................yes

Dutchman..............yes

Israeli....................yes

American................yes

OK maybe I'm just an antagonising son-of-a-bitch.

Englishman...........yes

Scotsman.............yes

no Aussies yet???

:o:D:D

I lived in Chiang Mai for 6 years teaching english (that was 15 years ago) and last year came back for a 3 month visit and will retire there at the end of this year. I have never had an unpleasent encounter with anyone in LOS including police and officials. Nor have I know of anyone who has had any problems of this nature so I voted No.

I wonder if the problem isn't:

1. BKK like Los Angeles, CA is just a more violent place.

2. Intoxication seems to be a contributing factor.

3. Perhaps age is also a factor in that an older person like myself is not viewed as a threat by younger Thai men

I voted yes.

I covered this in another recent post.

I was drunk (drinking) and in a bad mood due to personal problems.

I was asked (politely) by a Thai who apparently thought he knew me, but who I could not remember. The Thai was concerned that he thought I was too drunk and was concerned about my condition.

I answered with an obscenity.

Got knocked on my backside for being an idiot. My fault entirely, and I realised it.

That is the story. I certainly can't blame the Thai as I was the cause.

You should have voted 'no' dude, the pool is about unprovoked attacks and randma violence, not getting what you deserved. :o

Well, it's your thread. But no where in your original post does it ask if you have been targeted for random and unprovoked violence. Violence is a violence, there's no justification for that, provoked or not. IMA-Farang didn't deserve to be beaten and he's right to have voted yes. A seemingly nice Thai but a complete stranger approached IMA-Farang concerned about his over drinking and the next moment he beats the shit out of him because he was told to get lost? Well that is very thoughtful of this Thai man isn't it? If he can't take less-than-friendly response from talking to a complete stranger, he shouldn't have done so in the first place, farang or not, drunk or not!. Like I wrote in the other thread, I do have a Thai ID (which makes me a Thai) and do I think it's OK to knock a drunk (or sober) farang or anybody down if I'm provoked with an obscenity? NO. Violence is in itself a big provocation in my opinion (certainly more than an obscenity).

Edited by Nordlys

Well, it's your thread.  But no where in your original post does it ask if you have been targeted for random and unprovoked violence. 

Oops, sorry. Yeah you did. But I'd still like to see the result of this poll as a study on Thai mens propensity to violence, provoked or not.

As for me 25 years in Thailand and never been physically harmed or provoked by Thais in any way.

Just to bring some poll to add to the 'Is Thailand Violent' threads that have recently cropped up.  Many of the tales of violence seem to come from a friend's friend, or "a guy down a bar told me" kind of stories.  There seems to a be a spread of panic going on about violence on farangs in not only on this forum but others as well.

So just want to know really:

Who on this board has personally been attacked by a Thai without provocation, just randomly assaulted, shot at, or robbed with violence?

I figure the amount here is going to be pretty low, but we'll see.  Please only add a point here or vote yes in the poll if the incident happened to you yourself personally, not your friend, or a member of your family etc.

edit : can a mod take out the middle option, nothing supposed to be there, just pressed return by mistake.

I think everyone should die! Thats just my opinion.... :o

I voted Yes. About 3 years ago i was living in Bang Sue with my gf(now ex). Anyway it was 6.30pm and my gf was running late for work. So walked her to the end of the road as i was going out to buy smokes. So i hailed a taxi for her and opened the door. Just as  i did this 3 young Thai guys(around 20ish) came up the wrong side of the road and had to stop because the door was open, Anyway they said something really nasty in Thai and i ignored it and kissed my gf goodbye. The guys then rode on. So turned round and started to walk to the shop. There on the corner were these 3 guys. Again they said something. Again i ignored it and didnt even look at them. So i started to walk to the shop and heard a motorbike come up behind me. I was totally sober and hadnt even had a drink . I grew up in a town in Scotland which could be a bit rough. So the motorbike came up along side me and one guy had a swipe at me which missed. Then they stopped just outside the shop. Now i know its coming. The first guy jumped of the bike with a flying kick. Stupid ###### was of the ground. So all i done was grab his leg and punch him in the balls. One down 2 to go. They other 2 came at me. All that was going through my head was dont go down. Put it this way i held my own and they came out worse than me, They hardly hit me. But i sure got a few digs into them Before the Thai guy in the shop who knows me came out and told them to ###### off. Man it was totally unprovoked. But as i said i held my own. Who knows what may have happened if the guy in the shop hadnt come out. But thats the one and only time. It could have just been the area,ie not many farang and 3 young guys that look as though they wired on something. I never put me off this country. Shit can happen anywhere at anytime or country.

>>>>>> I was totally sober and hadnt even had a drink <<<<<<<<<

The odds of this being true are indeed staggering!

Sh*t happens when you're sober; did chuchok & jackr have the day off? -- had ThaiPauly's wife been there, the odds would have been decidedly in your favor.

:D:D:o

I voted Yes. About 3 years ago i was living in Bang Sue with my gf(now ex). Anyway it was 6.30pm and my gf was running late for work. So walked her to the end of the road as i was going out to buy smokes. So i hailed a taxi for her and opened the door. Just as  i did this 3 young Thai guys(around 20ish) came up the wrong side of the road and had to stop because the door was open, Anyway they said something really nasty in Thai and i ignored it and kissed my gf goodbye. The guys then rode on. So turned round and started to walk to the shop. There on the corner were these 3 guys. Again they said something. Again i ignored it and didnt even look at them. So i started to walk to the shop and heard a motorbike come up behind me. I was totally sober and hadnt even had a drink . I grew up in a town in Scotland which could be a bit rough. So the motorbike came up along side me and one guy had a swipe at me which missed. Then they stopped just outside the shop. Now i know its coming. The first guy jumped of the bike with a flying kick. Stupid ###### was of the ground. So all i done was grab his leg and punch him in the balls. One down 2 to go. They other 2 came at me. All that was going through my head was dont go down. Put it this way i held my own and they came out worse than me, They hardly hit me. But i sure got a few digs into them Before the Thai guy in the shop who knows me came out and told them to ###### off. Man it was totally unprovoked. But as i said i held my own. Who knows what may have happened if the guy in the shop hadnt come out. But thats the one and only time. It could have just been the area,ie not many farang and 3 young guys that look as though they wired on something. I never put me off this country. Shit can happen anywhere at anytime or country.

>>>>>> I was totally sober and hadnt even had a drink <<<<<<<<<

The odds of this being true are indeed staggering!

Sh*t happens when you're sober; did chuchok & jackr have the day off? -- had ThaiPauly's wife been there, the odds would have been decidedly in your favor.

:D:D:o

Check her out. :D:D

I voted no because no one has actually laid a hand on me in over 20 years. But generally the Thai nak-leng types will try and provoke you so that it looks like you made the first move. If you realize what they are trying to do, and stay cool, you can avoid a lot of trouble.

I've had my toe deliberately trodden on by one guy and on another occasion I sat down in a bar - stone cold sober - and the Thai guy sitting next to me (with his friend) claimed that I stood on his foot. I just said sorry and that was the end of it. But this kind of petty provocation can easily escalate into violence if you aren't careful. The same applies to morons who make offensive remarks to or about your Thai wife/girlfriend.

The worst provocation I ever saw was a Thai bartender put his foot up on the bar counter and pointed the sole of his foot directly at a farang customer's face.

This according to the United States Dept. of Justice for the year 2003.

2.26 percent of Americans aged 12 or higher were a victim of violent crime.

I post this just as a comparison to the poll; draw your own conclusions.

2.26% per year. That means that there is a 100% chance of being a victim before you are 50 years old.

Englishman...........yes

Scotsman.............yes

Yuo must be a pro boxer then lampard :o

This according to the United States Dept. of Justice for the year 2003.

2.26 percent of Americans aged 12 or higher were a victim of violent crime.

I post this just as a comparison to the poll; draw your own conclusions.

2.26% per year. That means that there is a 100% chance of being a victim before you are 50 years old.

Woulda said its more likely that those 2.26% got a kickin every year till they were 50 :o

I think yer misinterpreting the statistic anywayz.. Half of the 2.26% could already be 50+

Edited by Joey Boy

Violence is a violence, there's no justification for that, provoked or not.  IMA-Farang didn't deserve to be beaten and he's right to have voted yes.  A seemingly nice Thai but a complete stranger approached IMA-Farang concerned about his over drinking and the next moment he beats the shit out of him because he was told to get lost?  Well that is very thoughtful of this Thai man isn't it?  If he can't take less-than-friendly response from talking to a complete stranger, he shouldn't have done so in the first place, farang or not, drunk or not!.

Here's an excerpt from IMA_Farang's full story.

"Happened in a bar (can't remember which) on Soi Cowboy....or rather on the street outside near Soi Asoke.

Yes I was drinking. Much younger and stupider then.

I had been talking to a Thai guy inside the bar. He appears to have thought he knew me, but I didn't remember him.

I left the bar and went down to the corner of Sukhumvit and Soi Asoke to catch a taxi.

Thai guy that I had talked to in bar tapped me on shoulder and said politely, "Are you okay? You drank a lot?". I now realise he was just trying to make sure I was okay. At the time I was drinking and feeling beligerent. (personal problems= girl problems).

I made the mistake of saying." Don't touch me you M******R"

Turns out Thai guy had done some Muay Thai training.

Next thing I knew I was on the sidewalk looking up, wondering what had happened.

Sobered me up in just a second of two.

I was later told Thai guy had floored me with one kick.

Actually the Thai did me a great favor. I was drunk, agressive, and acting like a fool.

"

He says he provoked it himself. Of coiurse if we all called Thai guys in Soi cowboy late at night "m*********s" the results would be about 100% yes. Insulting anyone like that anywhere is a provocation to violence and what I'm trying to gauge here is just purely random assaults.

So, about 80% so far not attacked. Keep on voting.

Edited by bkkmadness

I voted no, never been attacked by a thai or farang anywhere. Hubby has been attacked by thai guys but then he is a thai guy :D & there have been plenty of occasions where he should have kicked a farang guys head in but thats another thread I think :o Jai yen yen