Obama: Israeli plans for new settlements in East Jerusalem 'not helpful' to peace process

News_Editor

Obama: Israeli plans for new settlements in East Jerusalem 'not helpful' to peace process

2010-11-09 19:49:16 GMT+7 (ICT)

JAKARTA (BNO NEWS) -- U.S. President Obama on Monday called Israeli plans for new settlements in East Jerusalem 'not helpful' to peace process.

On trip to Indonesia, Obama said "this kind of activity is never helpful when it comes to peace negotiations." He also told reporters that his efforts toward improving the relationship between Muslims and the West have been "sustained" but the progress is "incomplete."

"We are building bridges and expanding our interactions with Muslim countries," he said during a joint news conference with Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono.

Israel's Interior Ministry revealed on Monday its plans to establish over 1,300 new housing units in occupied east Jerusalem, as the government plans to expand the Har Homa neighborhood by 978 apartments and to build 320 new apartments in the Ramot neighborhood.

The announcement came as Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu is visiting the U.S. and holding meeting to resume peace talks with the Palestinians. The Israeli PM previously met with U.S. Vice President Joe Biden.

Har Homa is located south of Jerusalem's center region, and has been in the middle of international controversy after construction projects began in the area since the late 1990s.

Since 1967, Israel occupied the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, settling close to 500,000 Jews in more than 100 settlements.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-11-09

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perhaps President Obama should also consider his giving weapons paid fr with US tax dollars "not helpful" to the peace process...?

the US quietly announced early this month that it was selling 20 F-35 Stealth fighters to Israel. As Israeli military purchases are paid for with US foreign aid, we must realize that the weapons pointed at Iran in the Middle East are American made and largely paid for with American tax dollars.

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/foreign-policy/126831-saudi-arms-deal-is-about-iran-rep-ron-paul

Jerusalem is the capital city of Israel and there has been a Jewish presence there for many centuries. There have been more Jews than Arabs living there since the 1800s.

Israel has said many times that they are willing to trade land for peace - and they have done so - but that Jerusalem was not on the bargaining table and never would be. The Palestinian Arabs have no particular claim to it. They are just using it as an excuse to avoid stopping the armed conflict.

Obama needs to concentrate on getting Hamas to stop shooting missiles into civilian homes, agreeing to agree to Israel's right to exist and to make peace. He should avoid sticking his nose into issues like Arab demands for territory that they know is off limits.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Perhaps President Obama should also consider his giving weapons paid fr with US tax dollars "not helpful" to the peace process...?

the US quietly announced early this month that it was selling 20 F-35 Stealth fighters to Israel. As Israeli military purchases are paid for with US foreign aid, we must realize that the weapons pointed at Iran in the Middle East are American made and largely paid for with American tax dollars.

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/foreign-policy/126831-saudi-arms-deal-is-about-iran-rep-ron-paul

I think Israel's weapons go a long way towards discouraging war. This is part of the peace process. Imagine what would happen if Israel was poorly armed and had no support from the US.

I think Israel's weapons go a long way towards discouraging war. This is part of the peace process

Well with thinking like that we the US citizens should buy everyone a Nuke.

It should then be one he11 of a peaceful existence.

Try to remember there are only 3 who have not signed the Nuke Treaty

India, Israel and Pakistan

All 3 have nukes 4 if you count N Korea who pulled out of the treaty

Lastly look up the Samson Option

If the US wants to arm others in little side wars then they should not be upset if Russia or China does the same. Yet we know how that would be seen....Why? Because we have decided Israel is good & the others bad?

We also bought weapons for Saudi ....Yet was not the majority 15 of the 19 of the supposed 9/11 terrorist from Saudi?

Lastly how can a country USA ...that is virtually bankrupt be buying these things for countries like Israel when citizens here in the USA have no jobs & in many case now no homes?

Edited by flying

Israel is a favored ally of the U.S. and a democracy in a vast sea of dictatorships. They have had nukes for many years and have not used them even when attacked by numerous enemies - armed by the Soviet Union - with overwhelming force.

What does your argument to give nukes to rogue states that sponsor terrorism have to do with reality?

confused0054.gif

Israel is a favored ally of the U.S.

What does your argument to give nukes to rogue states that sponsor terrorism have to do with reality?

Nukes are claimed to be deterrents....Not that I agree....But that is the thinking claim by all that hold them. As such.......

As for favored ally? Perhaps to a few wallets in high places & campaign contributions...but not the general population of the US.

What has Israel ever done for the American citizens? NADA

So why should a suffering American citizen be out all those tax dollars?

Why are We The People buying the Israeli's weapons??

At this time of financial crisis especially.

Edited by flying

[As for favored ally? Perhaps to a few wallets in high places & campaign contributions...but not the general population of the US.

13906-No-Bull-Sign-Clipart-Illustration.jpg

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A new national poll suggests that six in ten Americans sympathize more with the Israelis than the Palestinians in the recent fighting in Gaza, and most believe that Israel's initial decision to take military action against Hamas was justified.

Sixty percent of those questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Saturday say they sympathize with Israelis, with 17 percent backing the Palestinians.

Edited by Ulysses G.

What was the question? Did they ask 'Do you support the US government buying weapons for Israel?'.

Now that would be a good poll ;)

Other than that the poll UG mentions was in Jan 2009 if that same poll were taken today I think they would find the results quite different.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted January 12-15, with 1,245 adult Americans questioned by telephone. The survey's sampling error is plus or minus 3 percentage points.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/01/24/majority-of-americans-support-israel-during-crisis-says-poll/

I am also not sure a poll of 1245 is that representative among

U.S. 310,672,599 citizens

Edited by flying

Yea, sure. Probably more support.

Not according to most world news channels after recent senseless killing of activists armed with supposed butter knives from the galley & deck chairs

But we digress ;)

Are you familiar with how polls work?

Yes very well thank you.. They would be a separate subject though the unemployment poll would be a good comparison

Edited by flying

Yea, sure. Probably more support. winking0051.gif

Not according to most world news channels after recent senseless killing of activists armed with supposed butter knives from the galley & deck chairs

Maybe before the footage was released of a large gang of "peace" activists attacking Israeli soldiers with steel pipes and knives. :whistling:

Maybe before the footage was released of a large gang of "peace" activists attacking Israeli soldiers with steel pipes and knives.

hahaha yes the one tape released by the Israelis after the confiscated all the cameras from the deck

activists attacking folks with automatic weapons.....yeah plausible......as a last resort maybe....anything else....Not so much

But again we are getting Off topic by leaps & bounds now so ...........

I think Israel's weapons go a long way towards discouraging war. This is part of the peace process

Well with thinking like that we the US citizens should buy everyone a Nuke.

It should then be one he11 of a peaceful existence.

Try to remember there are only 3 who have not signed the Nuke Treaty

India, Israel and Pakistan

All 3 have nukes 4 if you count N Korea who pulled out of the treaty

Lastly look up the Samson Option

If the US wants to arm others in little side wars then they should not be upset if Russia or China does the same. Yet we know how that would be seen....Why? Because we have decided Israel is good & the others bad?

We also bought weapons for Saudi ....Yet was not the majority 15 of the 19 of the supposed 9/11 terrorist from Saudi?

Lastly how can a country USA ...that is virtually bankrupt be buying these things for countries like Israel when citizens here in the USA have no jobs & in many case now no homes?

Ok, let's deal with the nuclear weapons situation. I am not particularly worried about Israel and its nukes, anymore than I am of the UK, France, USA or even Russia. The nuclear non proliferation treaty was non enfoceable and was basically lip service. Ideally, it would be nice if Israel, pakistan and India would sign, but so what if they don't? Does signing mean that the threat of religious fanatics seizing control of Pakistan and launching a first strike on India or Europe or Israel is therefore mitigated? Look at what your nuclear sanctions in respect to Iran have achieved. Did the imposition of sanctions stop Iran or induce compliance? Is it any different than the sanctions that were imposed on iraq only to be violated by some Eurpean nations and neighbouring arab nations? Did it stop the Swiss and Luxembourg banks from laundering the money in that sham?

I am not worried about India and its nukes. Although Indians can sometimes be wild and irrational, I do not forsee the country launching a first strike on Pakistan. India for all of its shortcomings has a (Hindu and Sikh) culture that values the sanctity of life, in that martyrdom isn't taught from the moment a child pops out of the womb. The same applies to the Israelites. There's is a culture that says the preservation of life is important. Contrast that to Pakistan or Iran where dying as a martyr is more important than living.

BTW, are you aware that Israel's nuclear armaments came via France? The USA never wanted Israel to have nukes.

I think you are incorrect when you say weapons were purchased for Saudi Arabia. The Saudis are paying premium dollars for the aircraft and assorted weapons. Consider it an investment in securing the 3rd most important energy supplier to the USA. Bear in mind that the F-35 is a joint project. I know it must come as a shock to you, but the USA isn't paying for the Israeli planes. You are aware that Israeli technology will be installed in the aircraft used in Israel, right? It will be specific for Israeli needs and have hebrew popups and software script. This will remove some of the most expensive components. , Israel is paying for the purchase through the money it will make from constructing key wing components. You are aware of that right? The Israeli contribution is expected to generate up to $4 billion. This money in turn will then be used to purchase aircraft. The same type of deal was implemented in Canada and Australia. What's different in the F-35 program is that instead of their being "spinoffs" there will be actual integrated components. This means that the Canadian companies building the landing gear won't just be building it for Canada's F-35s but they will be used in the US aircraft. The systems and parts build by the Australians will be used in the Canadian jets etc. . The sharing of the construction project was a much fairer way of spreading the benefits of supporting the aviation industry while at the same time ensuring co-operation.

I think you are incorrect when you say weapons were purchased for Saudi Arabia.

My bad I misprinted that. I meant to say selling not bought for. It is correct that Saudi buys theirs.

But my other comment stands....with 15 of the 19 9/11 terrorist coming from there it seems odd in this day of Patriot Act inspired boogy men.

As to the treaty...Sure it is lip service.

Yet treaty aside Israel is the only country that will not even say if they do or do not hold nukes.

Yet they think it is ok to threaten to invade & destroy parts of Iran based on their claims of enriched plutonium?

I dont see it & of course we are only privy to what we hear are the claims. Yet I tend to judge things by their actions/history.

Who is the aggressor?

I am not aware of Israel paying I am aware of what was posted at the link...

As Israeli military purchases are paid for with US foreign aid, we must realize that the weapons pointed at Iran in the Middle East are American made and largely paid for with American tax dollars.

If you would like to make me aware post a link & I will be happy to read it.

Edited by flying

Maybe before the footage was released of a large gang of "peace" activists attacking Israeli soldiers with steel pipes and knives.

hahaha yes the one tape released by the Israelis after the confiscated all the cameras from the deck

Do you ever have any facts to support your opinions? rolleye0012.gif

There were numerous tapes of the attacks on the soldiers released by Israel and Al Jazeera was showing their own tapes the very next day.

They also claimed that the mercenaries on board the ship had not lifted a hand against the soldiers until the first Israeli tape was released and they had to backtrack.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Do you ever have any facts to support your opinions?

Sure you probably do too....dont you?

You just dont see anyone unarmed & yes butter knives/pipes & deck chairs are unarmed.... attack a auto weapon holding soldier except in last resort....Human nature

Even so would the response need to be to shoot them dead?

Ok enough for me , all yours enjoy...;)

Edited by flying

& yes butter knives/pipes & deck chairs are unarmed

More "facts". They were not butter knives and a steel pipe is also a weapon.

Don't worry, your comrades SergeiY and hobanse should be by soon with more "facts" to back you up. :lol:

Edited by Ulysses G.

Jerusalem is the capital city of Israel and there has been a Jewish presence there for many centuries. There have been more Jews than Arabs living there since the 1800s.

Israel has said many times that they are willing to trade land for peace - and they have done so - but that Jerusalem was not on the bargaining table and never would be. The Palestinian Arabs have no particular claim to it. They are just using it as an excuse to avoid stopping the armed conflict.

Obama needs to concentrate on getting Hamas to stop shooting missiles into civilian homes, agreeing to agree to Israel's right to exist and to make peace. He should avoid sticking his nose into issues like Arab demands for territory that they know is off limits.

Israel is an occupying power and disregards all UN resolutions that it should return to its 1967 borders. The continuous Israeli occupation and oppression of Palestinian land and the Palestinian people will never lead to peace. Israel is a warmongering country that now DEMANDS from the USA that it will threaten Iran with military action in spite of the lack of any evidence that Iran is seeking atomic weapons. It is shameful to see that one little country can cause so much problems and so much misery.

\

& yes butter knives/pipes & deck chairs are unarmed

More "facts". They were not butter knives and a steel pipe is also a weapon.

Don't worry, your comrades SergeiY and hobanse should be by soon with more "facts" to back you up. :lol:

Israel had no right whatsoever to board the vessels in international waters.

Of course they do. A Military blockade of a hostile entity (Hamas) is perfectly legal.

Spoken like a true Israel apologist.... Do you get you lines from the" Defend israel No Matter What Atrocities it Commits Headquarters?

I get sick to my stomach seeing people like you defending the indefensible and inexcusable. Arguing with people like you is completely useless, because according to you and your ilk Israel is always right and the rest of the world is always wrong.

November 9, 2010

Israel devouring East Jerusalem

Flying in the face of the international community, including its own guardian-ally, the United Sates, Israel has approved a wide-ranging plan to obliterate the remaining vestiges of the traditional Arab-Islamic identity of East Jerusalem.

Sponsored by the ultra-fascist group known as National Union, the plan would see the demolition of hundreds of Arab homes, establishing extensive infrastructure for Jewish settlers, mainly at the expense of the native Palestinian inhabitants, and building huge bridges for the purpose of achieving "demographic Jewish contiguity."

read the rest of the sordid truth : http://uruknet.com/?p=m71668&hd=&size=1&l=e

I get sick to my stomach seeing people like you defending the indefensible and inexcusable. Arguing with people like you is completely useless, because according to you and your ilk Israel is always right and the rest of the world is always wrong.

You types don't seem to seem to have the same problem with Hamas.:rolleyes:

Edited by Ulysses G.