Hi,

I am currently in the process of applying for a job in Thailand. I have been contacted by the employer and asked to state my salary expectations, and I don't know how best to answer this question.

I don't know a great deal about the market rates for jobs in Thailand. I know the minimum I would be willing to work for, but this may be less than the employer is willing to pay, and it would be a shame not to maximise my earnings. :o

If I give them a figure, can I expect this to form the basis of salary negotiations, bearing in mind I don't know the full details of the role yet, or will I be committing myself to any figure I give?

Any useful advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

djmm

When I receive resumes with salary expectation way beyond what I am willing to pay, I assume the person does want to receive a salary in this range, and will not be happy with much less. I will not try to push a person to work for half of what they stated - I prefer employees which are satisfied with their salaries - not such employees which are forced to work for less and then leave at the first chance they get.

A work interview is not the same as bargaining in Jatujak. The best is if you can research a bit about the company or similar companies - do they publish job openings and what salaries to they offer. Search in Jobdb.com, for example to see what salaries are offered for similar jobs. Get to a figure which is realistic and good for you as well. You might start with less then what the employer is willing to pay, in that case you can assess your contribution to the company and ask for a raise on a later date.

Good luck :o

Do some reaserch, find out more about this company, what are they willing to pay, what performance do they expect? Ask for a bit more.

I like employees that are positive, ambitious and expect more. This show confidence, someone with drive.

Tell the employer you've studied hard, need to take good care of your family, and can justify a better salary than the average employee would expect. You intend to help the company grow, taking on more responsibilities and will be expecting regular evaluations and salary adjustments.

Good employees are self starters, show up early and act as though they have an interest in the long term good.

People that make my life easy, follow instructions, and help the bottom line are priceless and should get better than average salary.

When I receive resumes with salary expectation way beyond what I am willing to pay, I assume the person does want to receive a salary in this range, and will not be happy with much less. I will not try to push a person to work for half of what they stated - I prefer employees which are satisfied with their salaries - not such employees which are forced to work for less and then leave at the first chance they get.

A work interview is not the same as bargaining in Jatujak. The best is if you can research a bit about the company or similar companies - do they publish job openings and what salaries to they offer. Search in Jobdb.com, for example to see what salaries are offered for similar jobs. Get to a figure which is realistic and good for you as well. You might start with less then what the employer is willing to pay, in that case you can assess your contribution to the company and ask for a raise on a later date.

Good luck  :o

~G~

Good sound advice. Obviously, here in the UK I know the market rate for any role I go for. Thailand is a bit tricker, but I am indeed alrerady trying to find out the going rate for the role.

Skipper,

Thanks for the feedback, You sound like an ideal boss! (Except for the "show up early" bit. :D )

I'll find out what I can and then take it from there. I am not desperate, so I don't need to jump at a position that is not right for me, but I appreciate the advice, guys.

Cheers,

djmm

I guess my point is that the idea of using a local will always be at the back of their minds.

That's a fair point.

If the choice is between two people who they see as indenticallly capable, I would be surprised if they didn't go for the cheaper option.

I know what I'm prepared to work for, so that will form the basis of any figure I give.

Cheers.

When a prospective employer asks me that question, I just tell them what I am currently making. In other words, they then know my value assesed by others, and if they want me, then they will have to make a better bid for me. If they don't think I am worth what I am currently being paid, then I for sure do not want to work for that company.