Guide To Using Escators In Bangkok

Familyonthemove

We all know that we need to adjust our behaviours when we adapt to a new culture. New visitors to Thailand may not realise that such adjustments apply to every day activities such as using an escalator.

It helps to understand that an escalator in Thailand is not just a means of transport; it is a place to be seen, preferably whilst using your Blackberry and clutching a Starbucks skinny latte.

The approach to an escalator should be an unhurried affair. Try to walk almost to the point of entry, then change your mind and walk off in a different direction. Think of it as ‘escalator tango’, tease the escalator by approaching with apparent intent then wander off unexpectedly to look at piece of jewellery or a watch that catches your eye.

When you make your final approach, don’t just jump on to the first available step because this will be seen as being uncultured. Stand at the entrance and wait for a step that takes your fancy, then step gracefully onto the escalator like an ice dancer setting off on her routine.

You now need to up the pace as the ride is only short and there’s not much time to complete the ritual. Take out your Blackberry, ensuring that it is the latest Torch model of course, and fire off a message or two. Be sure to hold your designer logo emblazoned bag above the handrail so it can be appreciated by your fellow passengers.

The exit is as important as the entrance. Linger at the top of the escalator so that your fellow passengers can have the benefit of some impromptu exercise as they try to walk backwards trying to avoid a collision.

You can practice your escalator etiquette in hypermarkets and MBK before moving on to the premier league of Central, Paragon and Emporium.

In my next guide I will cover the 7-11 checkout queue quickstep, the Skytrain doorway scrum and how to pose for a photograph in Asia.

I hope you this cultural guide of use as you adapt to your new environment.

Up escalators are boring. Down ones are where real fun can be had. Find an overcrowded down escalator, "accidentally" trip as you get on, and whack a bag full of books into the back of the knee of the person in front of you. Stand in perfect safety and watch the drama unfold below you.:)

And I wonder why I'm single.......

I've found when using ANY up-escalator in this country, if you let one of your feet hang off the step with the bottom of your foot facing the people behind you, NOT a single thai will crowd you EVER :whistling: . The same move on a down-escalator is a slightly tougher move, but with practice it can be done. ;)

Given the extreme "sole of the foot" phobia that is so pervasive here you’ll have at least several steps behind you which no one will dare stand on.

I’ve never had a thai make a verbal comment (even amongst their group), never had a thai crowd me, and never got a single look from anyone.

One time a foreigner (dressed in the obligatory knee length camo cargo shorts, the Singha Beer singlet t-shirt, and 30 baht sandals :lol: ) who got on behind me had the audacity to mention that my "sole baring" was a huge cultural fox-paw" <sic> faux pas here in the glorious “Land ‘O Thais”. I replied, "You're not even frickin' thai, what are you the culture police?" B)

In other news; a few days ago down at Siam, where the escalators going up to the BTS have those warning signs to "Mind your head", lest you lean outside the escalator to gawk and get clobbered by the support girders passing by; a foreigner ahead of me was nearly knocked unconscious as he found out the reason they have those signs posted. :ermm:

I mean the sound of his head hitting that girder sounded almost like someone hit a gong! It even made me "pucker back" as he hit it so hard. In his defense he did have the presence of mind to clutch the railing, however were it not for the thais behind him who propped him up, he’d a been knocked down the entire escalator.

When he got to the top it was quite apparent he'd rattled more than a “few screws loose” with the encounter and had a HUGE goose egg too. :(

NEVER lean outside the escalators in outdoor situations. :)

We all know that we need to adjust our behaviours when we adapt to a new culture. New visitors to Thailand may not realise that such adjustments apply to every day activities such as using an escalator.

It helps to understand that an escalator in Thailand is not just a means of transport; it is a place to be seen, preferably whilst using your Blackberry and clutching a Starbucks skinny latte.

The approach to an escalator should be an unhurried affair. Try to walk almost to the point of entry, then change your mind and walk off in a different direction. Think of it as ‘escalator tango’, tease the escalator by approaching with apparent intent then wander off unexpectedly to look at piece of jewellery or a watch that catches your eye.

When you make your final approach, don’t just jump on to the first available step because this will be seen as being uncultured. Stand at the entrance and wait for a step that takes your fancy, then step gracefully onto the escalator like an ice dancer setting off on her routine.

You now need to up the pace as the ride is only short and there’s not much time to complete the ritual. Take out your Blackberry, ensuring that it is the latest Torch model of course, and fire off a message or two. Be sure to hold your designer logo emblazoned bag above the handrail so it can be appreciated by your fellow passengers.

The exit is as important as the entrance. Linger at the top of the escalator so that your fellow passengers can have the benefit of some impromptu exercise as they try to walk backwards trying to avoid a collision.

You can practice your escalator etiquette in hypermarkets and MBK before moving on to the premier league of Central, Paragon and Emporium.

In my next guide I will cover the 7-11 checkout queue quickstep, the Skytrain doorway scrum and how to pose for a photograph in Asia.

I hope you this cultural guide of use as you adapt to your new environment.

Brilliant! Thanks for making my morning. I look forward to installments of other cultural guides.

When I first arrived in Thailand I used to like to watch the escalator on country-bumpkin days (weekends) at the BigC to find the ones that had never seen or been on an escalator before ... they would on it with horror like it was ready to eat them...

My step daughter has perfected the run down the up excalator .She is only 10 so it is almost excusable by western standards. She beats us going down the down escalotor most of the time . What I am more concerned with is that the fashion conscious hi-so may emulate the behaviour and then chaos will need to be redifined.

In all seriousness there could be a very nasty accident, and I think I would take some action to stop this.

Read http://www.framingbusiness.net/archives/60 and "More Anonymous Deaths", and conclusions:

Escalators, contrary to common sense, are dangerous devices and not toys to fool around with. Every year someone loses their life in a situation that could have been avoided. With the emergence of more escalators all the time, one can only assume that escalator fatalities will rise proportionately.

In all seriousness there could be a very nasty accident, and I think I would take some action to stop this.

Read http://www.framingbu...net/archives/60 and "More Anonymous Deaths", and conclusions:

Escalators, contrary to common sense, are dangerous devices and not toys to fool around with. Every year someone loses their life in a situation that could have been avoided. With the emergence of more escalators all the time, one can only assume that escalator fatalities will rise proportionately.

You are quite right about the danger. But , in my case tho i am not going to chase her down the up elevator as she moves a lot quicker than me and screaming at her doesnot achieve the desired effect.