Yabbies (crawfish)

writeshack

I'm looking for some breedable yabbies. I have a hole 3-4 metres deep and many more metres wide, all runoff, a typical farm dam, just begging for a few yabbies (or crawfish, if you must). I want to set them loose, let them grow fat fighting the fish that will inevitably turn up there - and then have a barbie every now and then. I know I can import them but I really don't want to go through the Customs hassle when I do know other people have done this before me. None of the previous posts are current. I'm not looking to farm them for money. I've read the previous posts. All advice appreciated. Please post a reply or PM me if you have something serious to say.

• 1 year later...

Doug at Bourbon Street Restaurant in Bangkok has them on his menu. I don't know where he gets them but it wouldn't hurt to ask. They have a web site and you can contact him via email.

When I lived in Thailand I made enquiries about raising yabbies or marron. I was told it is not legal because they apparently love young rice plantings so if they escaped into the wild and bred up they could endanger Thailands rice crop.

Not sure how accurate this is, but it is what I was told some years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been considering the possibility of raising Redclaw in tanks here in Thailand, didn't know of any law against this kind of activity. Anyway, on investigation I found that the Royal project at Doi Inthanon had at one time raised them. This was a while ago and I haven't made up there to see what they are doing, I am still planning to go and have a look. I would not release into a dam for the simple matter that the locals round here like to do a bit of night fishing etc. and the fact that they will go walkabout. There's plenty of crabs and snails in our paddies as it is - this is Isaan.

A person hasn't lived until they've wandered into a hole-in-the-wall bar in New Orleans and had some Crawfish Etouffee. I think the OP has a good plan there.

Agreed, and crawfish pie. The crawfish I've seen and caught in the US are freshwater and like flowing water not too deep. They feed from items in the flowing water. We go into a shallow edge of the river and turn over rocks. When we spot one we grab it - behind the claws of course. We boil them in water with some salt, or BBQ them.

I have no idea if they are the same as in LOS, or even around N'awlins.