Ring Barked Tree

thaipod

My neighbour next to our land asked to cut a limb over their house which I thought he would trim to our property line and we have just noticed he actually ringbarked the trunk I'm quite angry as it was a good shade tree.

Is there any way or product we can use to save the tree . From my experience as I explained to my wife there is none .

If it was cut deep, around the entire circumference, then it is certain death within a year or so. That's if it's a dicot (broadleaf or conifer), not a monocot (palm or yucca). Monocots have vascular bundles throughout the stem so cutting around the circumference does not sever all vascular tissue (conduction of water and nutrients). On the otherhand, dicots have the growing layer (cambium) and conductive tissue (phloem and xylem) just inside the bark. "Ring-barked", otherwise known as "girdled" is where a deep cut is made around the entire circumference of the tree, effectively and permanently cutting off all translocation of water and nutrients between roots and foliar crown; water and mineral uptake in the xylem is stopped, and movement of sap with essential photosynthesized sugars from the foliage to the roots through the phloem is cut off. If there are areas/strips around the circumference which escaped cutting, then some conduction may remain intact and the tree may survive.

The tree may wilt and die immediately orlook ok for a year, or at least until the next flush of growth in spring puts demand on stored water and nutrients. With no conduction of new material possible, the tree will then decline and die.

It's a long shot, but an old school tree surgeon who knows "bridge-grafting" is your only hope for restoring conduction between roots and canopy, depending on tree species and other factors.

In a civilized society under rule of law you would have possible recourse with detailed documentation of the event, a certified arborist report with appraised tree value, and a good attorney. That recourse could involve all cost of tree replacement, or monetary compensation of appraised value of your murdered tree. Here you are probably SOL (shit outa luck).

Let this be a lesson to all: when your neighbor wants to cut on your tree, get a detailed agreement of exactly what will be cut and stand by with your 12 gauge or pit bull (figuratively speaking of course). Or better yet, tell him you will take care of it;, then call your own people and direct the work yourself. don