Alternative Location To Huay Kuaew/Nimmanhemin?

Andreas84

Hi, I have been living in CM earlier this year and in 2009, and may come back next year. Previously I rented a Condo at "Sritanna Condo 2" off Huay Kaew Rd, and I think that area + Nimmanhemin is a good location. However, I would be interested to try something new next time. Could anyone suggest an alternative location which may meet my needs?

Below are the main criteria for what I perceive as a good location to live. You might also mention specific condominum buildings and websites showing some examples.

* Good availability of TukTuks and Song Thaews (meaning it is no must to drive a vehicle myself)

* Walking distance to a basic range of shops where basic needs can be met

* Nice views, somewhat quiet (not right in the middle of the traffic, has some nice trees etc) yet still quite centrally located

* Not too dirty, "primitive" etc

* Should be access to a gym not more than 5-10 minutes away by TukTuk

I generally like to spend some time around the moon muang area. Tha Phae gate is also ok. So it could be somewhere perhaps not too far from those. Have to admit that I am not so good with maps and do not know all parts of town. But generally I prefer living in a condo, not house, and with a modern standard. I will try to find something for around 15.000 bht pr month, around 70-80 m2 (must have a western kitchen + good workspace). It can be good to avoid the most touristy areas. Maybe that sounds strange, as moon muang and tha phae gate, which I mentioned, may have a touristy feel. I believe there are some very decent accomodation also around the night bazaar area, but I would not want to be right in the middle of that. Maybe there are some options at the beginning of Chang Klan rd as well, but to far off into Chang Klan rd. would not be central enough.

Any input appreciated

I'd like to say anywhere away from the pretentious Nimmanhemin, but I won't.

I think Changklan is a good option and there are a few places in that area that might suit you.

Maybe just ride around and see where grabs your fancy.

As the adverts of 2006 and 2007 would say "The Prestigious Nimmanhemin Area". BS.:lol:

All of the above suggestions are in the Chang Klan area, which is hel_l. Congested, no views, and you immediately hit the ueber touristy night bazar.

So the answer is....................... Sois off Suthep Road, West of the Canal Road and South of the University.

There are some smaller condominiums in those sois; it's the general university area, very nice to live while not yet Yuppie Country.

All of the above suggestions are in the Chang Klan area, which is hel_l. Congested, no views, and you immediately hit the ueber touristy night bazar.

So the answer is....................... Sois off Suthep Road, West of the Canal Road and South of the University.

There are some smaller condominiums in those sois; it's the general university area, very nice to live while not yet Yuppie Country.

There's also new Punna condos going up opposite the back end of the Universiity. I think some of them are available but they'll no doubt be more expensive than the older ones like

http://www.sa-nguanmalee.com/ (poor website), at Soi 7, Suthep Road.

There's a very well sited and up-market newish Condo development further west along the Suthep Road. Its a quiet and leafy area and its managed by an English guy and his wife.The condo I viewed here was the best fitted out I'd seen with a small balcony directly facing the Doi Suthep mountains. Anunyaphum its called. You can stay a couple of nights to test it out.

http://www.anunyaphu...om/en/index.htm

I see they're now called serviced appartments but I'm sure you could negotiate a lower rate than advertised. I did.

Edited by Asmerom

<Andreas84>

Looking at your requirements, I cannot think of any area better than that in which you were previously resident. Good luck with your hunt for a condo.

Regards

Hi all, thanks, I think that was some useful advice. Yes, it is probably true what Contractor says, but I would like to try something new or at least consider it.

"Sois off Suthep Road, West of the Canal Road and South of the University. "

- that sounds quite good, still somewhat in the same area, though. to some extent...

"There's also new Punna condos going up opposite the back end of the Universiity. "

Might also be worth checking out.

But I am curious to know more about other parts of the town.

Altough it might be more trafficky, not so good views etc, Twin Peaks and Peak Garden which are nearby Shangri La hotel along Chang Klan might also be worth considering. Would be very interested to hear some more suggestions for that area, or other areas of the city than those already mentioned. But I guess one the challenges with many areas, is that they do not have very good accomodation, right? (read: modern condos)

Perhaps there are really only a few areas which have the kind of accomodation I am looking for, and also meet most of my other needs (nice views, not too traficky, somewhat peaceful, some trees, still somewhat central etc)

It's going to be difficult to find a modern condo in the area around Thapae Gate/Wararot/Night Bazaar. That area is full of guest houses, many of which are quite charming. But, they don't fit your requirements of for size, modern kitchen or work space.

How about Riverside Condo near the Holiday Inn? Views of the river Ping and the mountain and it also has seawater swimming pool. I've heard that the building is well managed as there are a number of Farang on the committee.

For a gym you could probably get monthly membership at the Holiday Inn. You'll be needing a workout if you try the buffet's there.

Good luck....