Helmet Stolen

Newguy70

Hi Guys,

Well I just came to vent a little. Just had my new Nexx helmet stolen while my bike was parked at the "Avenue" Gasetnatwamin rd. off of Lad Plakhao. Went up stairs to look at the camera footage, frustrating as well. I had it strapped under my seat on my Ninja, and they cut the strap, left the strap rings. Strange I even said to my girlfriend maybe I should use my alarm lock, and we looked at each other and said "no one really here today".

Question, should I even bother filing a report tomorrow at the station on Phananyotin, the footage the CCTV was so bad you coulld not really make anything out?

Kicking my self on this one...........................:(

Thnx

:jap:

Forget about it and buy a new helmet. That said... yeah file a report. Friends of mine had a few things stolen from their house; multiple break-ins so we knew it was locals. They reported everything, and soon thereafter got most of it back, the thieves were so stupid they somehow managed to get themselves caught trying to sell the wares. I'd also go around big bike shops - not too many places they can sell a Nexx helmet...

Thanks for the report - I was wondering about this. I always take my helmet with me. It's a bit of a pain at times - but it sure as hel_l won't get stolen ;)

Forget about it and buy a new helmet. That said... yeah file a report. Friends of mine had a few things stolen from their house; multiple break-ins so we knew it was locals. They reported everything, and soon thereafter got most of it back, the thieves were so stupid they somehow managed to get themselves caught trying to sell the wares. I'd also go around big bike shops - not too many places they can sell a Nexx helmet...

Thanks for the report - I was wondering about this. I always take my helmet with me. It's a bit of a pain at times - but it sure as hel_l won't get stolen ;)

Hi Nikster,

I will make a few rides around the area to see if they are naive enough to wear. My girlfriend suggested the same thing about the Big bike shops; I was not even thingking about them selling it, but now that you have mentioned it as well, it makes more sense to me now. I will drop by a few shops. THNX

:jap:

There are a couple of smart ways to use a standard Xena alarm disc lock to secure a full face helmet when away for shorter periods. Buy a little chain thats plastic covered and thin enough so both ends can go into the XENA and so the locking pin can go through the two ends.

1. A shorter chain used only around the jaw and leave the XENA inside of the helmet. If they leave with the helmet and it will scream all the way in their hands.

2. A longer chain and you can secure helmet around the jaw and lock it to something on your bike. Then it will go off before they leave with it.

Easy and simple

There are a couple of smart ways to use a standard Xena alarm disc lock to secure a full face helmet when away for shorter periods. Buy a little chain thats plastic covered and thin enough so both ends can go into the XENA and so the locking pin can go through the two ends.

1. A shorter chain used only around the jaw and leave the XENA inside of the helmet. If they leave with the helmet and it will scream all the way in their hands.

2. A longer chain and you can secure helmet around the jaw and lock it to something on your bike. Then it will go off before they leave with it.

Easy and simple

Alarms are annoying as they tend to go off for no reason. I don't know what the false alarm rate for car alarms is but it must be somewhere very close to 100%.

But I was thinking - wouldn't it be obvious to have a big metal locking hook on your bike? The D-Tracker had a very small hook like that (I don't know what for, really) - but if you had a large one that could fit through the jaw portion of a full face helmet, then the helmet could be secured on the bike. Doesn't anyone make something like this?

Alternative would be a top box. Or maybe even a bicycle lock but that would then be a bit messy as things could get scratched etc.

Edit: Google came up with this, already looking pretty good there:

From http://www.helmetsecure.com/

classicFeatures.jpg

There must be others, if you know of any good ones, please post! Thanks!

Edited by nikster

Its so many options out there to use to lock up your helmet.

Most of us want it easy and the hassle of bringing out a big lock chaining up the helmet and we think it isnt worth it for short stops. So a small XENA disk lock with a plastic covered wire or chain will be easy and quick. Keep it in your pocket for short distances and many stops drive and its more likely you will use it.

Normally bikes dont get stolen in parking areas at shopping centres as they tend to be stolen in left areas with little people at night time so use your XENA disk lock for this then or get two.

However, if you have something more valuable on your bike like an expensive helmet or some other things then park as close to the security boot as possible. If in a place that you dont feel good about and also talk to the security guys and ask them to keep an extra eye on it. A popular thing to steal off your bike also are Brembo calipers and levers as they are so easy removed. A caliper can be removed in 20 seconds. Thieves mounting them off are sitting low to the ground so almost impossible to see it happening. Two umbraco bolts and cut off the brake line and their off. Also radial mount calipers that comes standard on some bikes can be attractive to steal. Leaving your bike for long with the GPS there and your asking for it! biggrin.gif

Edited by Thunderbird4ever

Sure chaining the helmet to the bike is a hassle - but with that helmet lock above, probably less of a hassle than carrying it around with me. So for me at least, still a net improvement :P

And yeah I'd never trust a lock that loops through the D-rings only - if you can cut it off with a pocket knife, it's not a lock. A thief won't care that they just ruined your helmet, they'll still get money for it (or think they will...)

Edited by nikster

Don't know how effective an alarm would be as I've seen security guards walk by bikes with built in motion sensors and intentionally slap them to set off the alarm. If you don't ride with a full face helmet it may be best to take it with you (yes, very much a hassle) but if you ride a full face helmet it's very easy to use a cable lock to anchor it to the steering column or pillion handles (as found on the cbr and some scooters).

A tailor has already put a new ring on your helment and the guy who took is getting his next hit.

In sin city just buy a shoulder bag stick your helmet in and no problem, chain your bike up depending on what it is or that will go to.

No1 insurance a must.:jap:

When I go to CMBW and wherever we're staying, I'll be slipping the security some extra sheckles (a make it worth his while amount) to take care of mine & my buddies bikes.

I never leave my helmet out of view and most times it will generally be with me. I never lock my helmet to my bike for the very reason what happened to the OP. B)

A tailor has already put a new ring on your helment and the guy who took is getting his next hit.

In sin city just buy a shoulder bag stick your helmet in and no problem, chain your bike up depending on what it is or that will go to.

No1 insurance a must.:jap:

I agree with you on all counts. I'll have my new Premium insurance, premium CTPL, with agreed price and any rider in a few days once I get back tomorrow. My quote is looking around 24,875 baht with AA Insurance Brokers. The previous owner had the same underwriter and I can't see the point in changing. B)

My helmet cost 90bht .... anyone wants to take it, feel free.

It lives on top of the m/c mirror, when I'm not driving around.

Is that how much value you place on your head?

What'd'you think ? you've read many of his posts !! B) (sorry, couldn't resist)....

If a full face helmet wouldn't a normal bike (or even a bicycle) lock do ?

post-22569-0-33088100-1290067760_thumb.j

This i totally agree with. even if you ride in shorts and t-shirt at the very least wear a decent helmet. "REAL"do a decent one for just 1,200b.

surely thats not to much to spend. To possible save your life.....is it blink.gif

What'd'you think ? you've read many of his posts !! B) (sorry, couldn't resist)....

For every daft one, I do a good one, many posters only do daft ones.

Harley makes a very small lock that screws down on your bars. This is locked/unlocked with a key. I have on on my bike, and it is extremely quick and easy to secure my helmet there. I have never had anyone take my helmet, to do so would be to cut the strap, and I say take it then, I can afford another. Just leave the bike!

It is about 4cm long so you need a straight portion of your handle bar. I will post a pic if anyone wants to see it. Probably any Harley shop sells them or can source one for you. I doubt it cost more than 1000 baht, but I am not sure since mine came with the bike.

Happy riding.

They cut the stap on my B1,300 full face Index helmet - broad day light too :(

If they really want your stuff, they can get it. Locks, alarms, etc. can discourage them enought that they will move along to a softer target...