Thai Employee Diagnosed With Hepatitis B

One of our thai employee has been diagnosed with hepatitis B...

What are our options ? Is it possible to propose him another position, but with a little cut in the salary (to respect the "salaries scale") ?

What industry is this? Unless he's a sex worker, tattoo artist, or biting the other workers there's no chance of him transmitting the virus to others.

I agree cclub75, you should get the facts before taking any action or making any noise. Here are a few selected facts but google for yourself or look at the link:

http://liver.stanford.edu/index2.asp?lang=...page=statistics

- Hepatitis B virus is not spread by air, food, water, breastfeeding, casual contact in an office setting, kissing, hugging, coughing, sneezing, and sharing eating utensils or drinking glasses.

- In the United States, an estimated 130,000 people become infected with HBV each year.

- An estimated 1.3 million Americans are chronically infected with HBV. Over half are API Americans.

Truth is, if you tested all of your employees, thai or other, there's a definite probability that more than just the one has the virus. In other words, unless you're business involves exchanging of bodily fluids, then don't worry. Not sure why you would consider cutting his salary as a means to limit the virus or to punish him???

if u are overseas and he is a migrant worker then usually the poor guy get shipped back home, weeping (seen it many times) ... even though disease etc is only contagious if u were to have sex with him, etc or he works in certain places where there can be exchanges of body fluids....most companies dont like to have 'sick' workers....even though i dont think it is legal according to work labour laws

if in thaliand, then u probably have a bigger problem on your hands if everyone else knows... but info like that is supposed to be restricted info in worker's files , no?

Edited by bina

Thanks for ur replies. I agree, I should have given more details.

No, it's not a "naughty business", but rather an industry/mechanic business.

Why the salary cut ? Because it's a "lower" position (messenger), and not to "punish" him.

Actually, my question was not regarding the virus, but the possibility with thai labour laws to propose another position to one of your employee with a lower salary.

I took some info from a thai lawyer : the answer is yes. With a formal agreement between employer and employee it's possible.

Why the salary cut ? Because it's a "lower" position (messenger), and not to "punish" him.

Actually, my question was not regarding the virus, but the possibility with thai labour laws to propose another position to one of your employee with a lower salary.

I took some info from a thai lawyer : the answer is yes. With a formal agreement between employer and employee it's possible.

Not to punish him? The only way I can read your post is to punish him as there is no other reason that having been tested positive for a disease that can not be transmitted to in the normal course of his work should lead to a demotion?

Or has this affected his work in some way? Don't want to judge you wrong but with the information provided it sounds very callous.

Not to punish him? The only way I can read your post is to punish him as there is no other reason that having been tested positive for a disease that can not be transmitted to in the normal course of his work should lead to a demotion?

Or has this affected his work in some way? Don't want to judge you wrong but with the information provided it sounds very callous.

Exactly - he'll still be able to do his job, right ? Remember - he'll need all the money he can get if he's having medical problems here.

From a UK government website:-

http://www.devonline.gov.uk/text/index/inf...dshivandhep.htm

Interestingly vehicle repair/recovery is one of the 'dissallowed' occupations.

HIV/HEPATITIS B AND THE WORKPLACE

Many people are concerned that they may be at risk of catching these diseases from colleagues at work. In the vast majority of occupations, work does not involve any risk of acquiring or transmitting BBVs from one employee to another. Current medical opinion indicates that the risk of becoming infected in virtually all occupations is very low. Everyday normal, social and work contact is perfectly safe. Employers should review working methods to see whether there is such a risk to their employees or the public. Occupations in which a risk may exist lie mainly in the health care services where special guidance has been issued.

Types of work where there may be contact with blood/body fluids:

Custodial services (prisons/detention centres/homes)

Education

Embalming and crematorium work¨

Emergency services

First aid

Hairdressing and beauticians work

Health care (hospitals, clinics, dental surgeries, pathology departments, community nursing, acupuncture, chiropody, associated cleaning services)

Laboratory work (forensic, research)

Local authority services (street cleaning/park maintenance/ refuse disposal/ public lavatory maintenance)

Medical/dental equipment repair

Military¨Mortuary work

Needle exchange service

Plumbing

Sewage processing

Social service

Tattooing, ear and body piercing

Vehicle recovery and repair

Specific legislation on hazards that arise from working with biological agents such as BBVs is contained in the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 1999 (COSHH). Under COSHH you have a legal duty to assess the risk of infection for employees and others affected by your work.

Edited by Crossy

I do that following his request (to change job). In is actual position he works from time to time with solvent products (to clean). He complains of headaches.

So I believe, due to his health state, that a messenger job would suit him better. Even if we can argue regarding the fresh air in the streets of BKK, even in a pick-up... ;-)

I can't keep him at his actual position because he, or other employees, will continue to link his current position with his bad health state (of course the company can't be blamed for an hepatitis B infection...).

And on another hand, I can't, due to privacy, make a public announcement regarding his infection...

Last but not least, he can make a claim for the government compensation fund to pay his medical expenses.... but only if he stays with us. So I think, it's a fair solution.

Thanks for the follow up. I suspected we only knew half the story. As one who has become very allergic to polyurethane I can understand his problem but have doubts that it has much to do with the Hep B. It might be a good idea to check the safety of those solvents (and how they are used) if there is any doubt; as if the next guy has a problem it could become more serious.

Edited by lopburi3

I do that following his request (to change job). In is actual position he works from time to time with solvent products (to clean). He complains of headaches.

Have you considered having him wear a charcoal respirator when he's working with solvents?