Retirement Or Multiple 0-whats The Best?

If someone is 50 and has the required funds for the retirement visa what are the benefits of doing this as opposed to a mutiple entry O visa? Please correct me if I am wrong but for both of these you are granted a 1 year stay but still have to renew every 90 days . I am sure there must be some diference between the 2 if someone could explain why I need to tie up 800,000 b in a thai bank!

You are only allowed a 90 day stay with a multi entry visa. The retirement type allows you to remain forever if you keep extending it.

So unless you plan trips out of Thailand every 3 months or less the retirement will save a lot of shoe leather and time. As you have free use of the 800k until the next year you can spend it down and then replenish before next extension so it is not a tied up investment.

If someone is 50 and has the required funds for the retirement visa what are the benefits of doing this as opposed to a mutiple entry O visa? Please correct me if I am wrong but for both of these you are granted a 1 year stay but still have to renew every 90 days . I am sure there must be some diference between the 2 if someone could explain why I need to tie up 800,000 b in a thai bank!

With the multiple, you have to leave Thailand every 90 days and you have to get a new visa (from outside Thailand) every year.

With retirement you have to report every 90 days, I believe this can be done by post. And can renew every year without leaving Thailand

if i am not wrong ? you like to add :

with retirement you can apply for a driving license / bank account and have utilities ( mobile phone / internet / electricity ecetera ) on your own name !

I am over 50 and getting ready to retire in Thailand. I just spoke to thai consulate here in Los Angeles and they told me I could get a 90 retirement visa here and when I got to Thailand they would stamp it for 1 year. Just show 20k in bank here plus all the letters....doctor,police etc..........not sure if that is the way to go.

I am over 50 and getting ready to retire in Thailand. I just spoke to thai consulate here in Los Angeles and they told me I could get a 90 retirement visa here and when I got to Thailand they would stamp it for 1 year. Just show 20k in bank here plus all the letters....doctor,police etc..........not sure if that is the way to go.

Basically correct. With a non-imm O you will receive permission to stay for 90 days. Extension should than be applied for with the local immigration office.

Fill in Form TM 7, doctor's cert. etc.

Money in bank must be confirmed as comng from abroad, 800,000 Baht.

Max. extension possible is 1 year from date of first entry.

Expect the procedure to take at least 2 months. During that time you will be stamped "Extension of stay still under consideration. Applicant must come in person on date ......

Simcity; drivers license you can get on any visa besides tourist visa.

Bank account I opened (Bank Bank) without a visa at all (just 30 day stam in)

My uilities are all in my name with True/Electric company(TOT) Etc.

In short; all wrong (but I am sure that some front staff somewhere in an office will think up some of their own requirements - that is normally the magic "work permit?" though. :o . Cheers!

with retirement you can apply for a driving license / bank account and have utilities ( mobile phone / internet / electricity ecetera ) on your own name !

LA is talking about an O-A visa. That'll give you a one year stay as soon as you arrive at Bangkok airport.

LA is talking about an O-A visa. That'll give you a one year stay as soon as you arrive at Bangkok airport.

That is correct Pat. They told me the visa would be a retirement visa and they would stamp it good for 1 yr. at the airport on arrival in BKK. I hope that is correct. I'm not sure if the O-A is a retirement visa or will I have to apply for one at immigration in Thailand and show the 800k baht coming into a local bank?

The O-A is a long stay visa for retirement that has been pre-approved and you will receive a one year permitted to stay stamp from immigration when you enter Thailand with no further documents required. The money does not have to be transferred to Thailand until you request the next years extension of stay.

In short; all wrong (but I am sure that some front staff somewhere in an office will think up some of their own requirements - that is normally the magic "work permit?" though. :o . Cheers!

firfan , i am in Thailand for over 8-9 years just on a 1 year visa O or sometime 3*3 month O ( no work , not the age to retired )

True did not want me to open a account with me on my visa basic ! Never try for driving license , i have my bank account for the last ten year , no possible to do online banking with them as i do not have the retirement visa ...

4 years ago i try to have utilities & UBC in my name, not possible!

Close friend did put me on his name and open a bank account with automatic draw from these companies!

in short ! all not possible for me !

firfan , i am in Thailand for over 8-9 years just on a 1 year visa O or sometime 3*3 month O ( no work , not the age to retired )

True did not want me to open a account with me on my visa basic ! Never try for driving license , i have my bank account for the last ten year , no possible to do online banking with them as i do not have the retirement visa ...

Close friend did put me on his name and open a bank account with automatic draw from these companies!

Thank You Lopburi. I am now very comfortable in my visa concerns. The people on this board are just great.

Eric

Simcity; yes this is Thailand so they can come up with all kinds of "ideas" depending on the day/person/mood... :D

Drivers license you can see the official requirements on the housing/transport board here (pinned thread). Pretty straight forward actually. Just not tourist visa.

True/tel/electricity I went there myself; and after the "work permit?" question they confirmed that a copy of my foreign drivers license (and passport w. tourist visa) was fine.

Bank account+bank cash card was no problem (Bangkok Bank - head office Silom) but I have not applied for internet banking and believe they mentioned one needed a work permit(as does their homepage). I will now try to get their 1st premier debit card and hope they will not cause me any head ache.

Cheers!

To add to whats already been said the big differences between obtaining the 1 year extension of stay in Thailand and having it pre-approved before leaving your home country are,

A pre-approved O-A visa requires a clean police record to be shown whereas an extension within Thailand does not require evidence of such.

A pre-approved O-A affords you the luxury of not having to bring into Thailand the requiste funds until your first year is up and you recieve a years stay upon arrival whereas to extend within Thailand requires the funds to be brought into Thailand from the outset.

Obviously for an O-A evidence of sufficient funds deposited in an account overseas must be shown when applying.

I got internet banking and that debit card without any problems... had to go to head office though. With one year non-imigrant visa.

And this was hmm... in february 2005, maybe 20th day or so.

/ode

Bank account+bank cash card was no problem (Bangkok Bank - head office Silom) but I have not applied for internet banking and believe they mentioned one needed a work permit(as does their homepage). I will now try to get their 1st premier debit card and hope they will not cause me any head ache.

Cheers!

To  add  to  whats  already  been  said  the  big  differences  between  obtaining  the  1  year  extension  of  stay  in  Thailand  and  having  it  pre-approved  before  leaving  your  home  country  are,

A  pre-approved  O-A  visa  requires  a  clean  police  record  to  be  shown  whereas  an  extension  within  Thailand  does  not  require  evidence  of  such.

A  pre-approved  O-A  affords  you  the  luxury  of  not  having  to  bring  into Thailand  the  requiste  funds  until  your  first  year  is  up  and  you  recieve  a  years  stay  upon  arrival  whereas  to  extend  within  Thailand  requires  the  funds  to  be  brought  into  Thailand  from  the  outset.

Obviously  for  an  O-A  evidence  of  sufficient  funds  deposited  in  an  account  overseas  must  be  shown  when  applying.

If one has the multi entry OA,they will get yet another 365 day "admitted until" date for any entry into Thailand by the" must be utilized before"date printed on the multiple OA visa ,(365 days from date of issue),hence the requisite funds TF alludes to

can be put off for almost 2 yrs. if one uses his/her last entry close to the "must be

utilized before" date. One must,however obtain a rentry permit to protect any 365 day "admitted until" date that occurs after the OA expiry date(Again ,the OA expiry date will be 365 days from the day the multi OA visa was issued.)

The "clean police report" in home country makes me think: will anything on the report automatically stop the process or will there be an evaluation of the actual incident? I can think up a lot of cases where one of us could end up with something on the report. Knocking down an attacker in self defense can even do that sometimes but could be many other cases.

Just wondering....

Cheers!

You are only allowed a 90 day stay with a multi entry visa.  The retirement type allows you to remain forever if you keep extending it.

So unless you plan trips out of Thailand every 3 months or less the retirement will save a lot of shoe leather and time.  As you have free use of the 800k until the next year you can spend it down and then replenish before next extension so it is not a tied up investment.

I got a retirement visa for first time last year. When it expires my bank balance in Thailand will still be over 800,000 but not as a result of new incoming, just because it was 1.4 million at the start and my in-country living expenses are only about 200,000 baht a year. Do you happen to know if I can renew the visa just by showing proof of balance or do I have to transfer in a new 800,000 baht from abroad? also, how long before end of the 1 year visa must I apply for extension? Thanks

Not a problem for this extension Sheryl. You need to only top up each year if you spend it. You haven't so all is well. They might query why, as a farang, you spend relatively little. Have a few notes on you about your expenses when you apply for the extension. Good luck.

• 3 months later...

On another forum I read that for the retirement visa they don't strictly enforce the requirement that the applicant be 50+.

I struggle to believe this; given it's so easy for them to check your age, but am curious to hear from others on this as I am only 42 and trying to find a way to settle in LOS permanently.

The 3 million bht investment in a condo is my other route, but obviously want to explore every option.

Anyone hear anything about under 50's getting a retirement visa?

On another forum I read that for the retirement visa they don't strictly enforce the requirement that the applicant be 50+. 

I struggle to believe this; given it's so easy for them to check your age, but am curious to hear from others on this as I am only 42 and trying to find a way to settle in LOS permanently.

The 3 million bht investment in a condo is my other route, but obviously want to explore every option.

Anyone hear anything about under 50's getting a retirement visa?

No.

Basically correct. With a non-imm O you will receive permission to stay for 90 days. Extension should than be applied for with the local immigration office.

Fill in Form TM 7, doctor's cert. etc.

Money in bank must be confirmed as comng from abroad, 800,000 Baht.

Max. extension possible is 1 year from date of first entry.

Expect the procedure to take at least 2 months. During that time you will be stamped "Extension of stay still under consideration. Applicant must come in person on date ......

Stamp is immediate if papers are in order for 1 yr ext based on retirement.

Why on earth can you not buy a New Car without a WP, even if you have a one year reaccuring visa, or is this wrong?

I have a car in my name from the time I DID have a COmpnany here and a WP. Am I still allowed to keep the car in my name because I no longer have a WP?

To  add  to  whats  already  been  said  the  big  differences  between  obtaining  the  1  year  extension  of  stay  in  Thailand  and  having  it  pre-approved  before  leaving  your  home  country  are,

A  pre-approved  O-A  visa  requires  a  clean  police  record  to  be  shown  whereas  an  extension  within  Thailand  does  not  require  evidence  of  such.

A  pre-approved  O-A  affords  you  the  luxury  of  not  having  to  bring  into Thailand  the  requiste  funds  until  your  first  year  is  up  and  you  recieve  a  years  stay  upon  arrival  whereas  to  extend  within  Thailand  requires  the  funds  to  be  brought  into  Thailand  from  the  outset.

Obviously  for  an  O-A  evidence  of  sufficient  funds  deposited  in  an  account  overseas  must  be  shown  when  applying.

I am 51 and planing to retire in Thailand also I live in Los Angeles and I would like to know what is going to be the right visa for me? I would qualify for the retirement visa money qualifications 65,000 baht a month I believe? If someone could give me some pointers or a heads up I would appreciate it thanks.

Why on earth can you not buy a New Car without a WP, even if you have a one year reaccuring visa, or is this wrong?

I have a car in my name from the time I DID have a COmpnany here and a WP. Am I still allowed to keep the car in my name because I no longer have a WP?

To register a car in your own name they require a letter from immigration stating your adress and also that you have a visa (not a 30 day stanp)

(according to Honda dealer)

This does not ensure financing availability (not available without a wp, pay slip AND a Thai garantor)

I am 51 and planing to retire in Thailand also I live in Los Angeles and I would like to know what is going to be the right visa for me? I would qualify for the retirement visa money qualifications 65,000 baht a month I believe? If someone could give me some pointers or a heads up I would appreciate it thanks.

See this web site Royal Thai Consulate LA

• 1 month later...

I am getting an O-A visa in the states. Everything makes sense [the Thai embassy site in LA has great info and all the forms.

I have two questions that I can't seem to be sure of.

1. the police permit, is that a specific form that the police have or is it something I have to bring to them?

2. when I am in Thailand with an O-A visa and want to go out of country, probably a couple of times a year for a couple of weeks at a time, do I just go to the police department and get an exit visa and re-entry visa each time? If so, is there no problem doing this?