Fastest Internet

BlueEasySleep

I must say I am very happy with 3bb, I live in Kamala

1028328406.png

The Speedtest.net results in Phuket are rigged. We uncovered a Potemkin a couple of weeks ago, using 3BB as an ISP. Blatant.

Far better to use the speed test mentioned by Mr. Yogi. Run it and tell us what you get. I'd be very interested in seeing the discrepancy!

(BTW, 3BB is a good choice in many cases.)

I gave a talk on this subject at the IBAP meeting last night. Good turnout - standing room only, in a big room. I'll have the slides online shortly, and will post a link.

People keep saying this.. But I keep getting speedtests for all tests within 10% of each other.. all over the world with all kinds of providers..

And my torrents come in at the same speed as the speed tests report.

Maybe they are jigging the tests.. But I am getting those speeds in every measurement, actual real world results, file transfers, etc.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TOT and 3BB block torrent. max speed 5kb/s :D

I do not know how to True.

CAT is available

I'm with TOT and torrents are not capped at 5KB for me.

To the OP - if budget isn't a problem I believe TOT offer a fibre connection that is 1/1 contention for something around 10K a month. I can't vouch for it though and would like to know the speed of international transit. Zero contention and big numbers on speedtest mean nothing if traffic in and out of Thailand is throttled.

The fiber to home connection is the best in Phuket by far, there is no international throttle and down time in 6 months has been 1hour.

Costs start at 9400 per month for 10 meg leading up to around 18000 for 30 meg.

I have posted connection speeds in previous internet thread discussions on Thai Visa.

The fiber to home connection is the best in Phuket by far, there is no international throttle and down time in 6 months has been 1hour.

Costs start at 9400 per month for 10 meg leading up to around 18000 for 30 meg.

I have posted connection speeds in previous internet thread discussions on Thai Visa.

I just got a quote from TOT, and they have a FTTx connection rated 10 Mbps for just B 4,000 per month.

Have you run the speed test to San Francisco? I'd sure like to see what you're getting before I pay for this! http://www.live-access.com/PhuketInternet.aspx/

I just got a quote from TOT, and they have a FTTx connection rated 10 Mbps for just B 4,000 per month.

Have you run the speed test to San Francisco? I'd sure like to see what you're getting before I pay for this! http://www.live-acce...tInternet.aspx/

Hi Woody,

I sent you the speed results via email a few weeks ago reference my work place internet connection speed. Maybe you can remember it...Bangtao 10MB Fiber To home?

I dont want to say too much in the forum but can mail you again if you would like....

Does anyone know if torrents are possible via CAT CDMA Mi-Fi.....would be interested to know.....?

amazing slow internet Patong , i have TOT 2 MB down and 1 MB upload , and id a speed test to Oslo , ping was over 1000 it fuc_k up my IP phones dowmlaod 650 MB upload 0,70 MB

somone know where TO GET FAST STABIL NET TO EUROPE, I DONT CARE WHAT IT COST?

Have you run the speed test to San Francisco? I'd sure like to see what you're getting before I pay for this! http://www.live-acce...tInternet.aspx/

Hi Woody,

I sent you the speed results via email a few weeks ago reference my work place internet connection speed. Maybe you can remember it...Bangtao 10MB Fiber To home?

I dont want to say too much in the forum but can mail you again if you would like....

Does anyone know if torrents are possible via CAT CDMA Mi-Fi.....would be interested to know.....?

hi, so you think better take 3 MB premium than 20 mb down and 4 mb up to get stabil speed to Europe? from 3BB or from Cat ? i live up in above Sun Hill hotel Nanai road and its problem, need optical line.

3BB dont block torrents..

Take a premier account..

The premier accounts are much better in my opinion. My premier connection might not be the fastest but at least I can use it 99% of the time and nothing is blocked/restricted.

And I have a torrent on the block: / do not know why: /

remember to close torrents after download or go to each movie or serie mark it and press stop , or they will steal all upload speed , think is many that forget this and just download and download and is 30 movies going for upload .

Seems like CAT has very bad speed in this tests , wounder why?

CAT used to have the best ADSL connections in Phuket, but that's changed in the past couple of years. 3BB (formerly TT&T) has improved its bandwidth significantly. True has started operation in Phuket just recently, and they're doing a good job of it. TOT is banking on Fiber Optic - although as you can see, several people on the island are having good luck with TOT. (Several others hate it.)

Drop by one of our free Sunday morning Computer Clinics! We talk about this stuff every Sunday morning. It changes, sometimes quickly.

Hi Woody,

AHA! So you're THAT Peter. :) I'll email you.

Yes, it's possible to run torrents, over any provider, if you know the trick.

So the only options for my new place are TOT government internet and phuket cable for tv.

Anyone know anything about these?

I would have thought more options than that. For TV there is cable, True & satellite. For internet 3BB, TOT & CAT have pretty good coverage over most of Phuket. It varies as to which one is best although CAT seem to be slipping. Not sure if anyone blocks torrents but they all have the capacity to throttle them, TOT certainly does on my connection.

Edited by Valentine

Apparently those are the only options for my building. It's a new building, maybe the wiring isn't there for the other companies?

I used to live in a condo & the dish from True is small which can be placed on your balcony provided it has a clear line to the satellite.

hi, so you think better take 3 MB premium than 20 mb down and 4 mb up to get stabil speed to Europe? from 3BB or from Cat ? i live up in above Sun Hill hotel Nanai road and its problem, need optical line.

I was up there (the now destroyed villa still hanging over the cliff) for a few years and the exchange is crap.. After 2 years of non stop hassles they confessed that to me and moved my line to a new exchange and it was then fine (or what passes for fine in thialand).

3BB do not block torrents.....

I have 3BB, TOT and CAT, and CAT only have the opportunity to use Torrents, the rest is blocked

but good to you :]

I'm not sure who gets blocked and when, but some people get blocked while others aren't, even running through the same ISP. It could have something to do with the specific torrent program they're using and/or the logic (or lack thereof) of the ISP's throttling program.

It isn't just torrents. For example, when I access the newsgroups with my True line, it's throttled.

I can only speak for my experience. I have TOT and yes it throttles / blocks. It does it with most ways of download, which are:

1>>> torrents (mostly only tracker openbittorrent which eztv uses mostly and only so a problem. Other trackers are not blocked like from btjunkie.

2>>> Newgroups download definitely throttled.

Way around this al is using a VPN, just google VPN and many sites will show. I use strongvpn $7.00 a month and works great, no more blocking or throtteling

I can only speak for my experience. I have TOT and yes it throttles / blocks. It does it with most ways of download, which are:

1>>> torrents (mostly only tracker openbittorrent which eztv uses mostly and only so a problem. Other trackers are not blocked like from btjunkie.

2>>> Newgroups download definitely throttled.

Way around this al is using a VPN, just google VPN and many sites will show. I use strongvpn $7.00 a month and works great, no more blocking or throtteling

Have you tried encrypting torrent traffic and moving it to a non standard port ??

I thought that made it much harder to throttle ??

Hope this is not too far off topic...

Just looked at 3BB - 4mb d/l speed for B590/month - seems excellent value. Is there any real benefit in going for the 5mb or 6mb packages - seems the speed difference is not significant? This is broadband (not ADSL) so don't need a phone connection? Is there any limitation to monthly downloads or hours of use?

I was also looking at Internet over Patong Cable TV - has anyone used this service?

E:T

Edited by Ping

Hope this is not too far off topic...

Just looked at 3BB - 4mb d/l speed for B590/month - seems excellent value. Is there any real benefit in going for the 5mb or 6mb packages - seems the speed difference is not significant? This is broadband (not ADSL) so don't need a phone connection? Is there any limitation to monthly downloads or hours of use?

I was also looking at Internet over Patong Cable TV - has anyone used this service?

I am using Patong Cable service right now. Tried it for a few months down at Nanai 2 and decided it was good enough to order a second service for our Nanai 9 place. Can't complain too much although speed is up and down depending on time of day. Not bad for 499 Baht/month.

1055130465.png

Thanks LiK - there is no mention of d/l limits for these Patong Cable packages - I assume that there is no cap on d/l either in Gb amount or hours? (I tried to ask them but couldn't get my meaning through.) The cable package, if available at my location, would suit me as I have no desire to install a (phone) landline merely for 'net use.

Thanks LiK - there is no mention of d/l limits for these Patong Cable packages - I assume that there is no cap on d/l either in Gb amount or hours? (I tried to ask them but couldn't get my meaning through.) The cable package, if available at my location, would suit me as I have no desire to install a (phone) landline merely for 'net use.

No limit on Gb amount or hours. BTW although a premier package is advertised they can't make the upload speed of 1 Meg in Patong so at present this package is not available. Only the standard package is available.

Is there any real benefit in going for the 5mb or 6mb packages - seems the speed difference is not significant? This is broadband (not ADSL) so don't need a phone connection? Is there any limitation to monthly downloads or hours of use?

I am using Patong Cable service right now. Tried it for a few months down at Nanai 2 and decided it was good enough to order a second service for our Nanai 9 place. Can't complain too much although speed is up and down depending on time of day. Not bad for 499 Baht/month.

1055130465.png

LIK -

Could you run a speed test to San Francisco, using the instructions here: http://www.live-access.com/PhuketInternet.aspx/ ? It'd be interesting to see how Patong Cable (is that PA Cable?) measures up to the other ISPs in Phuket.

Ping -

I haven't seen enough data posted about the various 3BB packages to tell if there's a significant difference in speed. There may be, but I would be surprised.

"Broadband" is a marketing term that really doesn't have any meaning. The ADSL lines from 3BB all require phone lines - ADSL runs over twisted copper lines. 3BB does not have monthly data caps, although some people report that their Torrents are being throttled over 3BB. It isn't clear (at least to me) why some people are throttled and others aren't.

OK, thanks Woody. Since there was discussion of 3BB being a 'cable' service (which suggests one using infrastructure similar to cable TV and requiring a cable modem, as opposed to the DSL telephone network infrastructure), I had assumed that it was just that. In the circumstances, I will go for 'net over Patong Cable if available. At my last place, it had not been immediately available (they said to enquire again in 3 months).

OK, thanks Woody. Since there was discussion of 3BB being a 'cable' service (which suggests one using infrastructure similar to cable TV and requiring a cable modem, as opposed to the DSL telephone network infrastructure), I had assumed that it was just that.

Yeah, there's a lot of misinformation floating around! It's easy to get confused.

As best I can tell, all of the Cable TV operators in Phuket that provide Internet service do so through CAT.

3BB used to be TT&T. It's complicated, but TT&T is going through bankruptcy procedures. A huge company called Jasmine bought most of the TT&T stock. Jasmine then started a subsidiary called 3BB. They then transferred all of the TT&T ADSL physical plant and employees over to the new company, 3BB. Some people theorize that the move was made to protect the ADSL assets from TT&T creditors, who have status before the bankruptcy court.

Bottom line: 3BB offers ADSL over twisted copper pair, generally telephone lines that were once owned by TT&T. The Cable TV companies offer Internet over their own cables.