Fastest Internet

BlueEasySleep

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say I am very happy with 3bb, I live in Kamala

1028328406.png

The Speedtest.net results in Phuket are rigged. We uncovered a Potemkin a couple of weeks ago, using 3BB as an ISP. Blatant.

Far better to use the speed test mentioned by Mr. Yogi. Run it and tell us what you get. I'd be very interested in seeing the discrepancy!

(BTW, 3BB is a good choice in many cases.)

I gave a talk on this subject at the IBAP meeting last night. Good turnout - standing room only, in a big room. I'll have the slides online shortly, and will post a link.

The Speedtest.net results in Phuket are rigged. We uncovered a Potemkin a couple of weeks ago, using 3BB as an ISP. Blatant.

What's a Potemkin? Google say its 'a Russian officer and politician who was a favorite of Catherine II and in 1762 helped her to seize power' and it would be quite remarkable if 3BB are using that to rig their speed results............though you never know!

1028328406.png

Far better to use the speed test mentioned by Mr. Yogi. Run it and tell us what you get. I'd be very interested in seeing the discrepancy!

I gave a talk on this subject at the IBAP meeting last night. Good turnout - standing room only, in a big room. I'll have the slides online shortly, and will post a link.

I ran the test as recommended by Mr Yogi and these are my results;

post-85541-0-80202500-1289627407_thumb.j

Edited by mallyrd

I ran the test as recommended by Mr Yogi and these are my results;

That's impressive! 11 Mbps down from San Francisco makes yours one of the fastest 3BB connections in Phuket. Mine typically run between 3 and 6 - although Guido (whose numbers you can see on the speed reporting site) got somebody at 3BB to goose his system, and he's running 15 to 20.

Speed tests for TOT Fiber To The Home (FTTx) typically show results between 8 and 12 Mbps, so your ADSL line is faster than most fiber optic connections. I bet yours is more reliable than the TOT fiber connections, too - they seem to go down a lot.

Any chance I can talk you into posting your speeds on the site? Email me and tell me your preferred username and password - and confirm that you have the 3BB 10 Mbps package.

What's a Potemkin? Google say its 'a Russian officer and politician who was a favorite of Catherine II and in 1762 helped her to seize power' and it would be quite remarkable if 3BB are using that to rig their speed results............though you never know!

A Potemkin (shorthand for Potemkin Village) is a fake result. In this case, 3BB is actively intercepting "pings" to Speedtest.net, turning them around in Bangkok, making speeds look faster than they really are.

I know that 3BB did that at least once because at one of our Sunday morning Computer Clinics, one of the participants did a Speedtest.net check to San Francisco. The ping speed reported by Speedtest was faster than the speed of light. There's a detailed description on ThaiVisa.

This happened in July of 2009. I was there, as were several dozen other people. We all saw the faked results.

That's why I never trust Speedtest runs from Thailand.

1028328406.png

I ran the test as suggested and my download is 6.28 so it seems you are correct about 3bb, I am paying for 8mb download so I guess its not too bad.

Hello, Woody! (I hope that this is correct)

I would like to know how one is charged for the use of the internet. Is it a flat monthly rate (or can one just pay a monthly rate as an alternative to other fee plans?). What are the other fee plans?

Thank you so very much as I need this information for a friend who will be living there in a couple of months.

Anyse

Hello, Woody! (I hope that this is correct)

I would like to know how one is charged for the use of the internet. Is it a flat monthly rate (or can one just pay a monthly rate as an alternative to other fee plans?). What are the other fee plans?

Thank you so very much as I need this information for a friend who will be living there in a couple of months.

Anyse

I pay 888 per month for the 8mb plan from 3bb.

If you sign up as a foreigner you have to pay 12 months in advance.

If a Thai signs up you pay as you go month by month.

you mean CAT doesn't block torrents?

if so, I'm going with them

At the moment we do not block.

But all this could change any day, because as we all provider, are against the torrent.

The best option is to download over the web, np. rapidsher. There is no limit.

Hi, Anyse -

Yes, you're billed monthly (foreigners have to pay in advance). Typical lines run B 600 to 1,200 or so per month. Picking an Internet Service Provider is dicey business. Email me when your friend gets here, or have him/her come to one of the Sunday morning Computer Clinics. They're free. Dates and locations are in the Phuket Gazette. We talk about Internet connections every week...

3BB do not block torrents.....

I have 3BB, TOT and CAT, and CAT only have the opportunity to use Torrents, the rest is blocked

but good to you :]

I'm not sure who gets blocked and when, but some people get blocked while others aren't, even running through the same ISP. It could have something to do with the specific torrent program they're using and/or the logic (or lack thereof) of the ISP's throttling program.

It isn't just torrents. For example, when I access the newsgroups with my True line, it's throttled.

There are ways around the throttling, but I believe it's against Thai law to talk about them.