Where Can I Buy Euro Banknotes

Sunsylvia

I would like to buy Euros but had no luck today at any of the banks in Central Festival on the 2nd floor. They all said they don't have any, it's quite hard to believe, they did not even ask me how much I need. 

Where else should I try to find any?   

I'm sorry, but i don't understand these kind of questions. Did you not ask in the banks that could not provide you with notes where you could get them?

Yes in some banks I asked and they sent me to the next bank on the same floor. "try UOB" "maybe SCB" etc .. 

Someone said at the airport but I am worried they might give a bad rate there or they don't have the amount I need, and if they need to order or demand notice, once I am at the airport I am already leaving. 

Also I travel with a small child so the travel and airport is difficult enough and I'd rather not spend more time doing currency exchange on that day. 

I would prefer somewhere in South Phuket. I don't really know my way around Phuket town. 

I had the same problem changing baht into pound sterling. I tried Phuket Town, Bangkok and every single banks in Patong, all I got was the same answer: Sorry no have. LIARS!!!!

I also tried to order Pounds directly from the FOREX departtment, but it seems that in this country they don't have such a department - hard to believe - LIARS!!!!

With such an inflated baht, the banks want to retain our currencies in their safes. They steal at least 30% of the value of our money, do you think they will want to give it back to you once it is in their vaults????? I think NOT!!

Having said that, there is a bureau de change in Phuket Town, in the chinese district. They are 100 per cent honest - believe me, they are- They give you fantastic exchange rates for any currencies and they seem to have large amounts of foreign currency always available.

If you have larger amount of money to exchange, you can book the rate on the day and the money is usually ready in 2 days.

dam_n.. I cannot find the biz card with their number on it....

The biz card is white with green letters.. The bureau de change is situated next door to the "French Hype Bazaar"

Hope this helps

I'm sorry, but i don't understand these kind of questions. Did you not ask in the banks that could not provide you with notes where you could get them?

That's right. You ask the teller to xchange the Baht for any western currencies and they dismiss you point blank by saying that they don't have any foreign currency available.

You tell them that you want to order Pounds, Dollars or Euro and that you will back in 3 days time to exchange the money (this process is practiced all over the world) and they simple say "NO, CANNOT"

This is a blatant example that the value of their currency is unrealistic... and another example of double-standard or if you prefer, a legalised scam to our expenses by the thais.

Banks in thailand only trade in one way... buy our currency at the rate we say, but you cannot buy your money back..

With such an inflated baht, the banks want to retain our currencies in their safes. They steal at least 30% of the value of our money, do you think they will want to give it back to you once it is in their vaults????? I think NOT!!

The baht is rising.. Why would they want to sit on a currency thats falling ??

30% ?? In what way ??

I always go out to the airport exchange booths when I want to buy foreign currency. The banks in Phuket town are just not interested in helping or demand a few days notice to supply.

You go to the airport when you want to buy foreign currency???????

Mystifying!!!!!

Try change 1 mil bhat at the airport into any western currencies,.. They will make enough money on your money to last them the whole year!!!!

UMBELIEVABLE!!!!!!! Exhange rates at the airport are notoriously a rip off in any country...

I'd rather give money to charity.

The banks don't like changing THB into foreign currencies because Thailand has regulations about what circumstances they are allowed to do it. I can't remember the exact rules but I think you are meant to show you are leaving the country and you are not taking out more than you brought in. The regulations were meant to protect the value of the baht but they must be a bit redundant now the baht is soaring.

Anyway, you can change at the airport. The rates are not that bad.

That's right. You ask the teller to xchange the Baht for any western currencies and they dismiss you point blank by saying that they don't have any foreign currency available.

You tell them that you want to order Pounds, Dollars or Euro and that you will back in 3 days time to exchange the money (this process is practiced all over the world) and they simple say "NO, CANNOT"

This is a blatant example that the value of their currency is unrealistic... and another example of double-standard or if you prefer, a legalised scam to our expenses by the thais.

Banks in thailand only trade in one way... buy our currency at the rate we say, but you cannot buy your money back..

It makes a lot of sense to know more about valuta markets and rules and regulations about Thai currencies before making these kind of nonsensical posts.

Plus your attitude is wrong. You don't 'tell them', you ask them. You might be surprised, suddenly they (people in general) are much more helpful when you explain you would like them to help you out than when you tell them to do something.

It makes a lot of sense to know more about valuta markets and rules and regulations about Thai currencies before making these kind of nonsensical posts.

Plus your attitude is wrong. You don't 'tell them', you ask them. You might be surprised, suddenly they (people in general) are much more helpful when you explain you would like them to help you out than when you tell them to do something.

Dreamboy,

People make business all over the world. Cash isexchange for various reasons. You live in a cottonwool world with your little limited life... and YOU tell ME that my attitude is wrong????

Edited by LivinginKata
flame removed

Dreamboy,

People make business all over the world. Cash isexchange for various reasons. You live in a cottonwool world with your little limited life... and YOU tell ME that my attitude is wrong????

Thank you for again proving my point.

I just changed the equivlant of $8,000 from thai baht at the scb in Patong last week ( got 29.87) First day went in and asked and he said he didn't have any cause someone had changed $30,000 that monr so told me come back next day.

No problem at all

can also do it a bangkok bank in patong (have done $4,000) if small amounts (Ie less than $3,000) any exhange at Junk Ceylon if they have it.

Never have i seen so many people have problems as on this board

There is also a money exchange in Phuket town, on the same road as the AIS office, across from Ocean shopping, down the road from Robinsons.

Edited by phuketrichard

Some really really pissed of people here. Scary!

Phuketrichard these people don't deserve your good info.

They will still probably go in with a bad attitude and a scowl on their face waiting to deal with the 'LIARS!!!!!!!!!"

I have seen them in there before!

The Thai Baht is not a freely convertable currency.

If you knew that already, it might have made a difference to your posts.

I agree with that, nevertheless on occasions there are unique and singular cases we must deal with. .. and those cases break the 'in-the-box' rule.

I was offered 1mil baht as a 10 per cent deposit on a sale. My lawyer was also present at the meeting. I asked the buyers to have the deposit transferred to my bank account.

My suggestion was declined... take the mill baht in cash or no deal.

Now then, If you were in the same situation what would you have done? Sit down and wait for the next buyer to pay the deposit SWIFT only?

Why can't some people simply get the fact that, even if we are faced with the same situation, there are several different aspects that need to be taken into consideration?

Why can't some people simply step out of the box?

Are they so much up their own self to even think that there is a universal rule that applies to each one of us????

Some really really pissed of people here. Scary!

Phuketrichard these people don't deserve your good info.

They will still probably go in with a bad attitude and a scowl on their face waiting to deal with the 'LIARS!!!!!!!!!"

I have seen them in there before!

I stopped dealing with the LIARS, thank you very much. I am not a hypocrite.

"You have seen them in there before!" ?????????????????????????

Are you referring to a bank?

If so, do you spend your days sitting on a plastic chair inside of a back checking the attitude and facial expressions of every single foreigner that enters it?

What a proactive way to spend one's life!!!!

The baht is rising.. Why would they want to sit on a currency thats falling ??

30% ?? In what way ??

LivinLOS,

You are right, I should have said 18-20%, (that is the realistic margin of overvalue of the thai baht) after taken into consideration the fact that the value of western currencies has fallen.

Frankly, I don't want to discuss it on an open forum, but I would be happy to report it to you on a personal post.

On another note,

I asked at scb last week about the $ account and was told anyone can open one. Min deposit $10,000. no maximun.

They will take ur thai baht and change for you but if over $10,000 will charge 2%.

To all u that have problems

i would myslef the question why?????

On another note,

I asked at scb last week about the $ account and was told anyone can open one. Min deposit $10,000. no maximun.

They will take ur thai baht and change for you but if over $10,000 will charge 2%.

Thai banks don't only charge 2% to open a foreign currency account, but also for any transaction made to/from that account.

1mil baht I received as a deposit gave me 32,000 USD.

2% goes to the bank - 640.00 USD

now, I would like the money to be transfered to another account held in another country.

2 % goes to the bank, - 640.00USD

1,280 USD in bank charges goes to the bank to cover 2 transactions.

I am expecting another 8mil baht in a few months' time

Money in - 160.000 baht bank fees

Money out - 160.000 baht bank fees

With the risk that the money would never be allowed out of the country.

..... and you ask yourself why?

I don't know about you, but I certainly don't have money to waste on thai bank charges.

On another note,

Im confused. Under not possible. Bear with me.

So If i have 30 baht and I want to change it to usd and the rate is 30 THB to $1.

I get charged 2% (6baht) for every dollar I convert to deposit in my USD account at their bank?

Is there a link where the USD bank account in Thailand is explained somewhere?

I think somewhere in the south of the island was mentioned. SCB and Bangkok Bank in Chalong have always been very helpful. Personally, I've never had any problem in buying US$, AUD, £, Indo or Malaysian anywhere here.

The key is that you can rarely just walk in and get it - you have to place an order which will take a few days. The system in the 'west' is that a branch will, each day, buy in and sell out, making their 'turn' on the exchange rate. Here, remarkably, most buy in, balance up, and send it to area office in Phuket Town - there's no dealing in what they buy during the business day. Hence, the need to order it back from Phuket Town.

Sometimes, the branch will redirect you to the main office in Phuket Town where they hold currency stocks, but I've never tried that first hand - too much of a trek.

One time I was desperate to get my hands on some dollars. The branch didn't have any, so i hung around for 15 mins and collared the next tourist with some, and we did a deal there and then. Maybe you could try the same for Euros if you don't have time to place an order.