Air Pump For Tires

guzzi850m2

Having one car + 3 motor bikes in the garage I am considering buying a air pump so I can check the tire pressures at home. The car and the big bike are not loosing any air from the tubeless tires, but one of the small bikes needs air every week. When I tank either vehicle in Pattaya area I often find the tire (air) station not working or in bad shape.

I once bought a foot pump i big C (made in China), but it was crap and ended in the bin after a few times use. Can anybody here give any recommendations before I go shop again?

Well, I grew up in a country with a trade descriptions act, and each product had, by law, to be fit for the intended use. Now the world markets are flooded with junk from China putting the Western quality manufacturers out of business.

The Chinese foot pumps can barely handle just one inflation job on one tyre, the problem is the steel is just so flimsy. I cured mine by welding a strong foot plate on top, it's OK now. A cheap and simple cure.

Made in Thailand, Made in China avoid. When I buy tools I look for Made in Germany, Japan, USA or England, you can buy from the better shops. However I have never found better quality foot pumps, only junk.

Another frustration here is the Thai electrical equipment, just putting a plug into a socket and actually getting a connection can sometimes be so frustrating.

Thanks guys,

Looks like I has to go electric. These electric models will have a decent PSI manometer I presume?

The meters are crap on the 12V pumps. I bought a 12V in Tesco's for silly money, they also sell a good pressure gauge to test for accuracy, cost about 1000bht total. :D

I have the 12V pump from Tesco. I does the job okay (about 3 years old now). But, as stated, the built in gauge is not accurate. I use a good quality dial gauge in conjunction with the pump.

It appears the pump question has been answered, so excuse me for going off topic a bit here ;)

Another frustration here is the Thai electrical equipment, just putting a plug into a socket and actually getting a connection can sometimes be so frustrating.

After building a few houses in Thailand, I have to thank Global House for finally supplying some decent electrical sockets and switchgear - look for the Schneider/Clipsal stuff - it's only a few Baht more expensive than the common BTCino Italian junk, but substantially better quality. I did my latest house with it throughout and it's the first time I can plug any cord into any socket, without it turning into a wrestling match ;) The big 3" wide light switches with the LED indicators are great when you come home late/wake up early too, heh :)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Update, just been to Tesco's and they stock a variety of pumps from around 300 - 900 bht. Have a nice one in a flat carry case, also a selection of gauges from 80 - 200 bht. . Forget the cheap one. :)

I have also been to Tesco's today and bought myself a MyCar 250psi 12V pump for 300 bath and a very nice gauge for app. 160. The gauge is very nice as you just put it on the tire valve-take it off for easy reading of pressure and press a small valve for releasing the pressure before proceeding to next tire, neat.

Tomorrow I will try to extend the power cable from the cigarette lighter socket to the pump as the cable is too short ( try to push a 350kg Harley around in your garage :lol: ), well a luxury problem I guess but nevertheless a problem, he-he.

Pressure gauges car and bike racers use are top quality. A 2.5 inch dial unit would be about Au$40 and a 4 inch around Au$50. They will last for donkeys years, in fact I still have one, tucked away, from when I was involved in racing.

post-63954-0-54996500-1289857470_thumb.j

• 8 years later...
On 11/15/2010 at 2:33 PM, transam said:

Update, just been to Tesco's and they stock a variety of pumps from around 300 - 900 bht. Have a nice one in a flat carry case, also a selection of gauges from 80 - 200 bht. . Forget the cheap one. :)

Hi Trans, I bought one in France about 10 years ago, a Ring Automotive, it has just decided to give up the ghost. What would be a good replacement, we have one pick up, one motorbike and two bicycles, bearing in mind this thread is 2010 and may be outdated.

Edited by vogie

29 minutes ago, vogie said:

Hi Trans, I bought one in France about 10 years ago, a Ring Automotive, it has just decided to give up the ghost. What would be a good replacement, we have one pick up, one motorbike and two bicycles, bearing in mind this thread is 2010 and may be outdated.

I bought one with dual cylinders in a Mr.DIY outlet (Tesco), think 600bht. It's OK, gauge is 2 psi out but I remember that on top up..

With my old pumps the first thing to fail was the tyre valve connector, this one has a different connector which cannot fail, though it takes a bit of getting used too..

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, tomtaylor1 said:

Hi All, bought a Tesco pump it works well no problems, for both my Jeep and car ,bought the most expensive one.

Previously bought pump from Alibaba Express , a total load of crap, did not last 5 minutes.

Regards Tom

Can you remember the make and price of it Tom? Was it from the Tesco outlet Mr DIY.

Edited by vogie

Here's mine, I think I've paid 500 to 600 baht, or so many years ago.

Do not waste your money and buy a big compressor, these 12 Volt compressors are relatively good. And how often do you need them in reality? 

You only plug it into your cig lighter and pump up your tires.

It's got a light which is great at night ( even when you have an emergency) and you can switch from PSI to Bar. 

I do this for my Pick up, motorbike and Moped. 

air compressor.jpg

compress.jpg

Edited by Isaanbiker

On 7/23/2019 at 1:28 PM, transam said:

I bought one with dual cylinders in a Mr.DIY outlet (Tesco), think 600bht. It's OK, gauge is 2 psi out but I remember that on top up..

With my old pumps the first thing to fail was the tyre valve connector, this one has a different connector which cannot fail, though it takes a bit of getting used too..

Yep, I've just replaced my adapter that goes to the fag lighter. Mine's already running many years and that was the first problem I ever had.

Plus a light at night, something I do not want to miss when on the road. 

4 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Here's mine, I think I've paid 500 to 600 baht, or so many years ago.

Do not waste your money and buy a big compressor, these 12 Volt compressors are relatively good. And how often do you need them in reality? 

You only plug it into your cig lighter and pump up your tires.

It's got a light which is great at night ( even when you have an emergency) and you can switch from PSI to Bar. 

I do this for my Pick up, motorbike and Moped. 

air compressor.jpg

compress.jpg

Yes that is similar to the one that has just packed in, it was about 12 years old, where did you buy it IB?