Challenge To Regulate Cable And Satellite TV In Thailand

webfact

Challenge to regulate cable and satellite TV

By Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation

The explosion of cable and satellite television channels in Thailand is posing a challenge on how the industry can self-regulate itself in order to avoid commercial and political exploitation of its viewers, a symposium has concluded.

The period from 2006 to 2009 saw the combined penetration of cable and satellite TV reach some 6.37 million households, or 31 per cent of the entire 20.35 million households, said Asst Prof Pirongrong Ramasoota of Chulalongkorn University’s Faculty of Communication Arts, citing figures from AC Nielsen.

What’s more, the satellite and cable TV audience is expected to reach 60 per cent next year, and some 12.22 mil?lion homes.

Pirongrong spoke at the symposium yesterday, organised by the Friedrich Ebert Foundation, on self-regulation of satellite TV. She said self-regulation was the most feasible way to ensure no details about fake drugs or political “hate speech” were aired, but she admitted that content was growing rapidly.

Pirongrong said that satellite and cable stations may be able to learn from a year-old attempt by some community radio stations which are not politicised to control their programmes in order to avoid rude language, sexual content and attacks on religions being broadcast.

Niphon Naksompop, chair?man of the Satellite Television Association, said although over 100 satellite channels were now received in Thailand, it has successfully prevented members from accepting advertisements about alcohol.

But others like Senator Somchai Sawaengkarn, chairman of the Senate committee on human rights, liberty and consumer protection, argued that satellite and cable TV channels were full of commercials selling drugs for sexual enhancement, and political content supported by politi?cians, and simply went to air “without responsibility”.

Somchai warned that if the industry failed to regulate itself the state would step in and this may also lead to abuse through political censorship, as it could lead to a lack of true freedom of expression.

Wasan Paileeklee, chairman of the National Broadcasting Council of Thailand (NBCT) and deputy managing editor of Thai Public Broadcasting Service (TPBS), admitted that while there had been progress achieving self-regulation, there were still problems with channels or broadcasters who were not members, such as ASTV, as they did not have to abide by council regulations.

The lack of a journalists’ union and the fact that many council members who were media professionals tended to defer to media owners meant offences went unpunished.

“We don’t want to be regulated by the government but if we can’t get self-regulation, then we have to opt for co-regulation,” he said, adding that this way, there would be mechanisms introduced to punish violators, which would be legally binding.

Wolfgang Schulz, director of the Hans-Breddow Institute in Hamburg, said co-regulation in Germany was more complex and involved the state, but it “went rather well”. He added, however, that Germany had a “very strong constitutional protection against [political] interference” in media freedom. However, the media was not politicised like in Thailand, Schulz said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-18

But others like Senator Somchai Sawaengkarn, chairman of the Senate committee on human rights, liberty and consumer protection, argued that satellite and cable TV channels were full of commercials selling drugs for sexual enhancement, and political content supported by politicians, and simply went to air “without responsibility.

Full of commercials selling drugs for sexual enhancement...what channel is he watching!!! and as for political content supported by politicians, well isn't that like a sports show supported by sportsmen.

So let me get this right; "Senator Somchai Sawaengkarn, chairman of the Senate committee on human rights, liberty and consumer protection, argued that satellite and cable TV channels .......... warned that if the industry failed to regulate itself the state would step in and this may also lead to abuse through political censorship, as it could lead to a lack of true freedom of expression".

So the man charged with making sure human rights and liberty are protected warns the State may step in if Satellite and TV is not "regulated"?

At the moment, NO ONE can show a cleavage, let alone a semi naked body.

At the moment, NO ONE is allowed to debate "certain" issues on ANY TV Station.

At the moment, NO ONE can watch a movie without annoying "blurring" of smoking,nudity and gambling.

At the moment Thailand is MORE restrictive in Information and open dabate than it EVER HAS BEEN (according to International figures)

So please, can someone tell me.....Does the Senetor and those in power want MORE inane, mind numbing and dulling soaps that fill the current TV schedules? Are ALL forms of intelligent, probing and hard hitting programming to be banned?

Edited by Northman061

So let me get this right; "Senator Somchai Sawaengkarn, chairman of the Senate committee on human rights, liberty and consumer protection, argued that satellite and cable TV channels .......... warned that if the industry failed to regulate itself the state would step in and this may also lead to abuse through political censorship, as it could lead to a lack of true freedom of expression".

So the man charged with making sure human rights and liberty are protected warns the State may step in if Satellite and TV is not "regulated"?

At the moment, NO ONE can watch a movie without annoying "blurring" of smoking,nudity and gambling.

At the moment Thailand is MORE restrictive in Information and open dabate than it EVER HAS BEEN (according to International figures)

So please, can someone tell me.....Does the Senetor and those in power want MORE inane, mind numbing and dulling soaps that fill the current TV schedules? Are ALL forms of intelligent, probing and hard hitting programming to be banned?

Great Post!!

:thumbsup:

I hate the blurred smoking and guns to the head. It is a bit crazy. The blur circle is so much in your face that you cannot help look at it, think about it, wonder about smoking, etc. It is accomplishing the totally opposite desired affect. It is bring attention to smoking so anybody that is slightly interested or trying to quite wants to reach for a fag (slang for the little thing you put in your mouth).... i think that i will stop here .... hihihihihi

But really, we will be watching a good program and when the blur circle comes on, everyone forgets what is happening and is mesmerized by the blur.

The other recent piss off is the advertisements on the screen while the program is playing. Now they have the station emblem taking up one corner as if you gave a shit. The other corner has some use crap on it so your nice new flat screen has 20% lost to ads and then they run a commercial across the top for an up coming program while you are already focused on your program. Yes it would be nice to have some smart people in control .... but what are the chances of that happening? :annoyed:

Talking about blurring

How much could one see if there are the following things, all together, in some view/

A girl with a mighty cleavage, smoking a cigarette, gets a pistol to the head by another woman with bare breasts, smoking a cigarette, while in the background.........

On the other hand if she pulls the trigger the resulting mess is freely viewable.

Friend of mine, being somewhat hackerish, tells me that the Thai bureau for censorship is really going strong.

He thinks, like many of his "mates", that Thailand is hindering more as the Chinese.

Have no idea if that is true.

One thing for certain cable/satellite is a far better medium despite all the short comings than watching the pathetic excuse for slapstick and overacted badly produced crap they call Thai television. I would also think many satellites can beam from across borders thus avoid the stupidity of Thai censorship. This is much of a non entity news article but more about a sensationalistic Senator looking to cement his election chances.

Talking about blurring

How much could one see if there are the following things, all together, in some view/

A girl with a mighty cleavage, smoking a cigarette, gets a pistol to the head by another woman with bare breasts, smoking a cigarette, while in the background.........

On the other hand if she pulls the trigger the resulting mess is freely viewable.

Friend of mine, being somewhat hackerish, tells me that the Thai bureau for censorship is really going strong.

He thinks, like many of his "mates", that Thailand is hindering more as the Chinese.

Have no idea if that is true.

Maybe somewhat off subject but what about TRUEVISION. They need some competition very bad for their poor programming and services