Eric Clapton In Bangkok

dekestone

According to an ad in today's BKK Post Eric Clapton will be here again on Feb 16th. (Though no mention on his web site.)Tickets go on sale tommorow (Nov 20). I was not very impressed with Muang Thong Thani when he played there a few years ago, but what the heck, it is Clapton after all.

Tickets B1000 -- B6500.

Pity it's a midweek gig, I have to work.

Yeah, that's a bummer. The other thing as I remember from his last concert was that getting out of Muang Thong Thani after was not easy, especially if you went by taxi.

I'm curious to see who his band mates will be this time and if Daryl Trucks will be joining him again.

Pity it's a midweek gig, I have to work.

Yeah, that's a bummer. The other thing as I remember from his last concert was that getting out of Muang Thong Thani after was not easy, especially if you went by taxi.

I'm curious to see who his band mates will be this time and if Daryl Trucks will be joining him again.

If I was living in Bangkok it wouldn't be a problem but getting there and back from Map Ta Phut would not be easy.

Last time I saw him was at Blackbush.

Fat chance I'll be going again. Muang Thong Thani is the worst venue I can ever imagine for an artist of Clapton's calibre. Rubbish acoustics, rubbish seating, rubbish view (despite paying B3,000 a seat). I also take issue with Clapton's refusal to acknowledge his audience's presence -- yes, I know this topic was soundly covered in this forum last time he was here, and I know it's his style. But d*amn it man, we seldom ever get quality western artists here (at least Diana Kraal likes to come back to Bangkok, thank heavens), so even just a tip of the hat would make it that much more of a personal experience for those of us starved of real talent.

Wit.

No Derek Trucks.

The band he's been using this year has just himself on guitar, not even Doyle Bramhall II

Willie Weeks on Bass and Steve Gadd on drums, a keyboard player and a couple of backing vocalists...... cut down version of the 3 guitar player band he used last time.

Muang Thong Thani is no better or worse than a lot of similar arenas I've been to, can sound crap or a million bucks depending on where you are sat and whether the crew are phoning it in. I've heard some bands sound terrific in there so it can be done.

I'd be more concerned about the setlist than anything else. A setlist with the new album plus cocaine, wonderful tonight and the various other hits he's expected to play would be a no go for me at 6500b. If he's going to dig deep and be a bit adventurous, show us how he became to be known as god then I'd be there.....no guarantees I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw him a few times, years ago in the states. ..

Other than the songs, as a live act he's total crap! He's got the stage presence of limp, wet, soiled dish towel. No interaction with the crowd, no eye contact, no nothing. Sheesh, what an incredibly innovative performing 'style' to be known for, NOT :bah: !! Clapton's actually worse than Bob Dylan (if in fact, anyone can have worse stage presence than that :lol: .

Given the fact Eric's playing at Muang Thong Thani's Impact Arena; which other posters already pointed out is a place you'd be hard pressed to find worse acoustics to listen to a live concert. Factor in the poor seating, exorbitant ticket pricing, the near log jam traffic getting outta there after a show and it’s really much ado about nothing as far as a ‘must see’ concert. :D

Now if the rock band; KISS came to Bangkok, it'd be a horse of a different color entirely, at least for me, lol B) . ..

I'll pass on this. :blink: