Astrology

gennisis

I live in northChiang Mai with good views of the sky at night and can sit down with a beer and ruminate !!.

Recenty the lanterns and fireworks have been entertaining and looking at the stars,and looking north I just cant find the Pole star(Polaris I think) I am guessing that,since it has been a centuries old navigation beacon it should be quite bright.?

The brightest star is in the western sector and is visible as soon as the sky darkens ,I am assuming its one of the planets?

Perhaps some of you guys out there can tell me.

Incidentaly,on Tuesday evening although the lanterns were drifting in a general westerly direction,I saw one very bright object moving north-south very quickly. No sound and no flashing lights,so I guess it wasnt a plane?.It dissapeared to the south and out of view.

Incidentaly,on Tuesday evening although the lanterns were drifting in a general westerly direction,I saw one very bright object moving north-south very quickly. No sound and no flashing lights,so I guess it wasnt a plane?.It dissapeared to the south and out of view.

I suppose that could be the ISS - but usually not north - south orbit. :unsure:

You can locate the Pole star, using the outer stars of the Plough (Big Dipper).

If you imagine the Plough as a flag pole with flag attached, lying on it's side, and then construct a line from the top corner of the flag and running back through the top of the flagpole. At a distance of seven times the gap between the first two stars, should show Polaris.

At this latitude, it will be fairly low in the sky (I think), and easily hidden behind a building, mountain, tree etc.

The North South object could easily have been one those paper balloons, with the flame underneath. It is nearly Loy Krathong, and there are quite a few at night, traveling south on the North-South monsoon.

Well, of you really mean "Astrology", you may have problems finding any star. They only consider planets and the sun.

But try Astronomy, that's science (as opposed to the superstition).

You're half right. The OP probably should have said Astronomy.

But Astrology DOES consider more than the solar system. What are all the 'Star Signs' made up of?

• 1 month later...

What are all the 'Star Signs' made up of?

Hot air and fraud.

Well in my Astrology the constellation that I am considered born under is the sign of

" Cancer " and " Capricorns " are consider my opposite and we do not get on, and strangely enough, how true that has turn out to be even in Thailand.:blink:

Edited by Kwasaki

Sir Patrick Alfred Caldwell-Moore, CBE, HonFRS, FRAS is, indeed, still with us and still presenting The Sky at Night on BBC TV once a month.

I'm glad some things never change,

For the OP: The Pole Star is easily identified. It is the one that is always due North (near enough). Its not a particularly bright star, but if you track them all for a few months, you'll soon identify which one it is - its always pretty much due North (obviously inconvenient for our antipodean chums, for whom it lies below the horizon....)

SC