Another Day, Another Scam

sharecropper

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only saw 1 tonight, but I was a bit later than usual and it was already getting dark. Very heated though and the Asians involved were obviously very unhappy, didn't see the outcome but it looked as though they might come to blows.

Geez if I was a FPV or tourist volunteer I too would be standing near the jetskis to "mediate" the situation,lets face it,WE all would !

Actiondell4, i appreciate your honesty, i really do, however your assumption that we all would join in a scam to steal money from random people it's really something you could have avoid to say, do you really think that every single person have such a low life attitude towards this sort of stuff? Then according to this mentality we would all join them for a share, why do you think people are not reinforcing their ranks if everybody was sharing this mentality? personally i can't understand how those legalised criminal can watch theirselfes in the mirror or carry on with their life by knowing their livelihoods depends on ruining other people lifes, think about it, the most of the people going on holidays have been working hard for the whole year, finally they have a chance to enjoy a few days of deserved rest away from the usual routine, these days will remain in their memories for their whole life and what you want to do? give them a nightmare and perhaps put them in jail and/or abuse them violently for something YOU created, how can you live with yourself??? honestly, do you really feel ok with this?

Yes it's a thai-on-thai thing too, i am aware of one case were the victims, two childrens with their mom were asked for a much lesser amount, i believe in the range of 10-15.000 baht, however, the scammer was happy to settle down the matter for just a few thousands bahts, which was basically all cash this single mom was carrying in her purse :angry:

When someone is caught on CCTV stealing a motorbike, whether they own it or not, WHY ARE THEY NOT ARRESTED??? I have lived in Thailand for the past 5 years and I just cannot understand why there is no rule of here!!! Am I naive to think that laws should be enforced and tourists protected from thieves, which is what these people are. I am coming to Pattaya this week to visit friends who live there, I usually rent a Honda Steed for a week from beach Road when I come, never had a problem before but I think that I will give it a miss this time. Not been to Pattaya for 3 years but it seems to have changed for the worse. I think that this time I will have to watch everyone and everthing that has a money transaction, not my idea of an enjoyable break.

If it works for the jet skis, it will work for anything else you rent here.

That's a little bit of an open-ended statement for Pattaya isn't it? :o

:lol:

I once rented a motorbike from the same place in Pattaya, Soi Post Office, right at the corner down to the beach road.

This guy is known to be a notorial scammer!

I rented a bike from him....2 days later it got stolen outside my hotel.

I went to talk to this guy and he demanded 60,000 THB.

I told him to bugger off and then I went to see a lawyer.

The lawyer wrote a note to me in Thai, and I went back to the scammer and handed it over.

He read it and then he said OK, bye bye and then I left.

The lawyer told me that this guy was known for stealing his own rental bikes from his customers and demand a huge compensation.

A few days later I saw "my" motorbike sitting outside the premises of the scammer with the same number plate but it had changed color from Yellow to black :angry:

Since then I always use my own padlock when renting a motorbike! At lest it will make it somewhat more difficult for the scammer to steal it!

A friend of mine rented from a different location (an Israeli owner) and the bike was stolen. Of course he was told by the owner and police that he had to buy a new bike. My friend pushed the hotel to watch their CCTV and the OWNER was caught on video stealing the bike. That was the end of that.

ALWAYS lie about where your hotel is. Never give them a recent ID (only use expired) and if possible give them a fake one you can order online or have made in a print shop. There is zero reason a Thai should ever know who you really are. They can't extort you if they don't know who you are or where you are.

We are all targets here, act accordingly.

This scam is rabid on Pattaya beach i have now noticed it is the length of the whole beach , it looks like the indians are targeted the most but I think that is because they are renting more jet skis than others. The Scammers have an indian man in a Turban helping them he is going the whole length on his motorbike when problems occur. I think the indian people are under the impression he is helping them.

There is also another guy doing the same for Russians.

Last week some Iranians were scammed and one was put in a head lock and his head pushed into the jet ski.

No one is getting let off from this scam the other day I noticed about 15 people in several groups being scammed in the last hour people were still arguing well into the night. this goes on every night some where along the beach , hot spots are in front of Mikes ,Royal Garden and the last rental spot close to walking st.

There are at least 60 to 100 people being scammed weekly along Pattaya beach and losing thousands.

I witnessed one young Indian guy who was so upset and kept saying I have no money I have no money , don't know what happened in the end/

I also saw a young european couple get scammed looked like they were on a honeymoon.

The scammers will sweet talk people and drop the price just to get them on the jest ski's to be scammed.

They love renting to groups because they will get more scams in one hit .

They do not care how big and strong you are or how many.

Every night some where a long the beach there are arguments going on , No one is safe to rent Jet skis on pattaya beach.

And yet again the issue of "FACE" or "SAVING FACE" rears it's ugly head again. I consider this issue to be a cultural defect in Asian societies. I cannot speak for other countries, not having lived in any of them, but I do know a little bit about Thailand. It causes no end of trouble here, shootings, murders, beatings etc. all because someone caused you to lose face. Maybe if the people of Thailand started to consider that dishonesty, bad driving, ripping people off, Thai and Farang alike, meant that they would lose FACE then maybe Thailand can be a nicer place for everyone. But to consider that you lose FACE when you are caught out in a lie or a scam, is completely ass backwards. I find it completely disarming that dishonest behaviour or actions can so easily be so conveniently justified if you just add the FACE factor.

Pride is one of the seven deadly sins, is it not?

He asked about the issue to the Thai guy who got upset almost immediately and left the office to go wait outside.The FPV went talking to him outside and returned with the message that the claim was now again 80.000 Baht and he would not accept a deal because he lost face because of our friends involvement and blah blah.

And yet again the issue of "FACE" or "SAVING FACE" rears it's ugly head again. I consider this issue to be a cultural defect in Asian societies. I cannot speak for other countries, not having lived in any of them, but I do know a little bit about Thailand. It causes no end of trouble here, shootings, murders, beatings etc. all because someone caused you to lose face. Maybe if the people of Thailand started to consider that dishonesty, bad driving, ripping people off, Thai and Farang alike, meant that they would lose FACE then maybe Thailand can be a nicer place for everyone. But to consider that you lose FACE when you are caught out in a lie or a scam, is completely ass backwards. I find it completely disarming that dishonest behaviour or actions can so easily be so conveniently justified if you just add the FACE factor.

Pride is one of the seven deadly sins, is it not?

I must agree 100%, never seen so much nonsense associated with this "face" <deleted>. I saw a Thai man lose the plot once because a visitor to the village he lives in stopped on the road to speak to the Thai mans younger brother before comming to say hello to him first???<deleted>? I would have said it would have been rude to drive past the younger brother without stopping to say hello!:bah:

• 2 weeks later...

It really makes my blood boil. These parasites are nothing less then scum sucking low life shit for brains that need stopping, permanently.

This the part of Thailand that is hard for most touists(falang's) when they come and stay or live for awhile as I did. I never wanted to go to pattaya or to the parts of Bkk that I had a notion were now what I was looking for. I knew how that would be and I didn't want any part of the sex trade shows and scams.

I mostly spend my time in North Chiang Mai and in the central part of Thailand. Except when I had to the visa run to Vientiene(what an experience) , I found that anywhere in Thailand you just have to always be carefull as to your money and someone else wanting it or double charging you simply because you, as a falang, are a "millionaire" and YOU can pay so it's ok to get the extra money anyway that is possible. The police are usually on the take and will most liekly be in favor of the Thai rather than you. Why? because you can pay, you are Rich!!!...Don't worry that you have maybe saved up for your trip, they don't see that or understand that. They only know you have a lot more money where that first baht came from. Just fo to another ATM and get more, easy....even if you don't have enough left to withdraw YOU still are a Rich falang. You can talk until you are blue in the face but no one will believe you are just an average or even below average income person from your home country.

They, just want money!!...and you have it....

This is a very frustrating thing especially when you have met a nice Thai girl and she thinks you can just walk into the nearest gold strore and buy her a few Baht of gold so she can show all her friends and family how rich and generous you are. No worry about your bills you may have to pay, it's ok....you are rich.

As far as renting a motorbike, I would be careful because many times when you bring it back they will poibnt out damage or a scratch that was already there to extract some more from you.

Make sure and point all of that out to the guy before you take the bike. ..or sea doo rental too....same thing.

In Thailand, you, the falang will be the one at fault if an accident happens,, why? because YOU can pay because YOU are rich. Personally I found living in Thailand, Bkk included I found it very stressfull to always having to be on my toes for the next money scam or overcharge.....You will never get your deposit back if you rent a condo for more than 30 days. They will have a reason to not give it back. I.e. you didn't tell them ahead of time even though you did.....It's all about money in Thailand which makes it a place to always be careful rather than relax and enjoy and trust in the people's honesty. ..

I had my passport pickpocketed at the night bazzar in the North and then the immigration guy told me he could not take the overstay fine and I would have to go toBKK.......,what he really was saying was "bribe me" and then I can do it because later the very same guy did it for me after having to go to a visa place at which they wanted 8000baht for the car ride one fourth of a mile back to the immigration office. The same guy.....stamped it all and then when we rode back to the visa place they said "oh, we forgot to tell you there is an 8000baht charge because they knew somone that did the work in bkk for them.....ughh,....I told them oh..ok but I didnt have that much on me and I would bring it in the next day.....do you think I did?.....what a scam, from the top to the bottom. Thier little scam was to split the 8000baht between the visa service and the immigration guy......falang beware!......it's abundant everywhere to get your money. even a government officialy will do this.....

I can't imagine what other parts of Thailand are like in Pattaya and phuket where there are many toursists and falang. It takes a few months living there to understand the depth of corruption in LOS....Be careful always.....never let them think you have very much money, They surely will try and get some of it!!!B)

Geez if I was a FPV or tourist volunteer I too would be standing near the jetskis to "mediate" the situation,lets face it,WE all would !

WE all would not! I was brought up by my parents to be honest. When I worked as an FPV in Pattaya, I met several other volunteers who also shared my view. But it was also abundantly clear to me that we were hugely limited in what we could do to mediate, without risking physical harm to ourselves. We were advised not to mediate at all in matters like this, because there was little that we could do to help, given the level of corruption ...

Simon

As many have pointed out, police volunteers are helping a corrupt organization and therefore by definition are corrupt, no matter what their supposed intentions are. As volunteers they do this 'for free,' though of course many receive benefits (connections, etc).

Edited by Jimmyd

Must be all of a week now,spoke to 3 Indians on Beach road virtually opposite Mikes shopping mall,one of the jet ski scammers broke off from his pack on the beach and came running at me snarling asking what I just said the the Indian guys,told him to f*** off as it was not any of his business. Had aleady spoken to a few Indians an hour or two before.

I think that bunch are aware of regular people hanging around watching,probably the older guy in the bunch remembers me from a few weeks before getting involved in a scam,still anything to ruin their day

With all the recent publicity this scam has received in the past few weeks including complaints to several authorities ,the youtube clip showing police involvement ,postings on internet including Knife used in jet ski scam , the exact same thing is still occuring daily.

Included in these daily scams are at least two Russians and an Indian man with Turban.

Is their other foreign involvement ?

The Darker Side of Tropical Bliss: Foreign Mafia in Thailand

http://www.thailawfo...a-thailand.html

Here is a quote from another thread on this forum in 2009

“Tourist Police chief Adis Ngamjitsuksri has conceded the extortion of which the police alone could not stamp out.

He said the extortion gangs, including those in tourist provinces,

worked under highly influential people.

My question is who are those influential people ?

Must be all of a week now,spoke to 3 Indians on Beach road virtually opposite Mikes shopping mall,one of the jet ski scammers broke off from his pack on the beach and came running at me snarling asking what I just said the the Indian guys,told him to f*** off as it was not any of his business. Had aleady spoken to a few Indians an hour or two before.

I think that bunch are aware of regular people hanging around watching,probably the older guy in the bunch remembers me from a few weeks before getting involved in a scam,still anything to ruin their day

be careful I wouldn't turn my back on :)

Saintofsilence.....why dont you take all your pictures, videos and any witness's and go and demand a sit down with the Pattaya Mayor? Play the "Face" game.....take people with you and make it clear that if he does not do something (with great ceremony and publicity) about it, then you will take same evidence up the chain to the Governor of Chonburi??

Am sure playing the "face" card would get a result?

Saintofsilence.....why dont you take all your pictures, videos and any witness's and go and demand a sit down with the Pattaya Mayor? Play the "Face" game.....take people with you and make it clear that if he does not do something (with great ceremony and publicity) about it, then you will take same evidence up the chain to the Governor of Chonburi??

Well LennyW I am not sure what I have done to upset you but trying to feed me to the sharks is not real nice. :)

But seriously these people are very dangerous and it should be done in a more diplomatic way than individuals sticking there necks out.

Well LennyW I am not sure what I have done to upset you but trying to feed me to the sharks is not real nice. :)

But seriously these people are very dangerous and it should be done in a more diplomatic way than individuals sticking there necks out.

Yeah, difficult to know just how to get it sorted !, difficult to know just who is all getting a bite of the pie!

One way would be a get together for those who were interested in the subject,throw a 100 Baht note into the kitty,get a banner made ,....nothing huge,4 different languages Hindi, Russian , Arabic and English,just a few words one under each other with picture of jet ski with a red line going through it. A slow walk along Beach road stopping at the interested points ,few others with small boards and plenty of cameras taking pictures.

Cannot see the police involving themselves in this scheme,get the local papers involved

While I applaud your your diligence SOS- appealing to any given authority may be met with disapproval. Large numbers of colored shirt types may be the way. Volumes of angry people may get a result.

Ah hello

Was there not another post on empty bars???

Just maybe there is another reason why tourists are not coming to pattaya other than the snow in europe?

Look at it this way tourist comes to patts gets ripped off big time then goes home what do you think is the first thing they

are going to talk about???

The sun

the weather

the women maybe the shopping?

Think about it