Eric Clapton Live In Bangkok 2011

webfact

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For sure, gonna have to see this. Without a doubt, one of the best rock n roll guitar players of all times. I'm sure it will be packed.

I saw Jerry Garcia at the Red Rocks ampitheater in Colorado. Unreal. Even had lighting out on the plains as a backdrop. I'm sure the folks on acid loved that. :D I got a contact buzz just being there....

What do you recommend for seating? The VIP is right up front. Too loud? I'm sure it will be the last time I get to see him.

He is one of the most over rated performers of all time. He couldn't carry Jerry Garcia's jockstrap.

You're kidding right? Granted, there are electric guitarists I like more than Clapton, (Albert King, Jimi, S.R.Vaughn) but to compare Clapton unfavorably to Garcia - gimme a break. Garcia (a friend of a lot of my friends in SF Bay area) was a sloppy riffer. His best stuff sounded about as good as your average garage band. I did like 'Shake it Sugaree' though (about a groupie) - for the song writing and vocals.

Should be a great evening. I've sworn off arena shows in general these days but would be there if I didn't have another commitment that night.

I'm not a "Clapton is God" person, but all of the other possible guitarists to compare with EC, why Jerry (RIP)?

Nice to see another Albert King fan, brahmburgers. The sky is still crying.

Nice to see another Albert King fan, brahmburgers. The sky is still crying.

Make that three...

Sorry, Eric.. best to leave this one to Albert...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kaW-SrSNfM&feature=related

Your other stuff is great, so no worries.

I saw Albert King a couple times in Oakland California at a great night club. Albert the GOD, just amazing. Saw BB as well, but BB and Albert you really can't compare. Both great in their own rights though, but when coming out just from seeing Albert, you just couldn't stop shaking your head for how utterly amazing mind blowing he was..

uncltom

I could be wrong but was Eric a member of the Yard Birds ? I remember way back in the 60's in south London dancing in a gig there and he was the guitar guru then. Sorry if l am thinking of someone else.

I sing Tears in Heaven at doo's here, sad l know for an oldy but it goes down OK. . :D

You are right, he played in many groups, yard birds was one, Cream being my favourite. If you get the chance, read his book. It's very interesting.

Saw him last time, what a legend! :)

all the Thais left before the encore! :blink:

Not surprising they left. I saw that show and it was dismal, took some Aussie mates and some Thais and everyone was bitterly disappointed. No pzazz, no real "performance". I've seen Ernie loads of times and he is usually great value. Of course, he was younger then. I dunno what happened last time; perhaps a late night the night before. Trouble is, he was that poor that I wouldn't risk him again. Others will I'm certain have different opinions which is fine. I'm afraid our Ernie has, for me, become a middle class old man who has lost his edge. He's just trotting it out for the money now.

Not surprising they left. I saw that show and it was dismal, took some Aussie mates and some Thais and everyone was bitterly disappointed. No pzazz, no real "performance". I've seen Ernie loads of times and he is usually great value. Of course, he was younger then. I dunno what happened last time; perhaps a late night the night before. Trouble is, he was that poor that I wouldn't risk him again. Others will I'm certain have different opinions which is fine. I'm afraid our Ernie has, for me, become a middle class old man who has lost his edge. He's just trotting it out for the money now.

He is one of the most over rated performers of all time. He couldn't carry Jerry Garcia's jockstrap. Badge? Give me a break. His DVD sucked, too. If they do the buy one for 700 get one free like they did for Backstreet Boys (didn't go to that), I would consider it. Rolling stones would propbably get second place on the last of most over rated. There shows have sucked for more than 20 years, and their greed really shows, playing football stadiums, and charging 300 USD per ticket.

:boring: I wonder where you're from.

Clapton and The Stones are not exactly my cup of tea, but it's interesting you'd berate them and laud the likes of Garcia... that speaks volumes. Whatever floats one's boat I guess and we all have our tastes, although it does make one look a bit of a tit when he makes such a comparison - a Great versus a bit of a nobody. Anyway, AFAIC Mr Gilmour puts them all in the shade. ;)

I just spoke with one of our illustrious members who went 2-3 years ago and saw Eric in Concert at Impact. He said it was pretty bad. A waste of money. He said he only played one of his great classics. At 5,500 per ticket, I would be upset too!

Clapton was one of my 3 instructors for electric guitar. The others were Mike Bloomfield (Paul Butterfield Blues Band) and Peter Green when he was with John Mayall. Ok, not directly. I was a teenager in Madrid (my parents were thousands of miles away) having just been expelled from a boarding school. I had a cheapo record player the size of a cracker jack box, and a 2nd hand '62 fender Strat. I'd sit by the record player and copy the blues leads as best I could. At 16 I was strutting my stuff with blues bands in smoky little clubs around Madrid, and later all around Spain including Balearic Islands. Welcome to Thailand, Eric. Have a great time.

Hey Brahm you sill got the '62 Strat? :)

Clapton was one of my 3 instructors for electric guitar. The others were Mike Bloomfield (Paul Butterfield Blues Band) and Peter Green when he was with John Mayall. Ok, not directly. I was a teenager in Madrid (my parents were thousands of miles away) having just been expelled from a boarding school. I had a cheapo record player the size of a cracker jack box, and a 2nd hand '62 fender Strat. I'd sit by the record player and copy the blues leads as best I could. At 16 I was strutting my stuff with blues bands in smoky little clubs around Madrid, and later all around Spain including Balearic Islands. Welcome to Thailand, Eric. Have a great time.

No, one of the saddest days, 35 yrs ago, had to sell it. The guy who bought it gave me $250 then went on to scold me for carving my g'f's name in the back of it. Was feeling woesomely poor at the time. Incidentally, I heard from a friend of the Sex Pistols that they got their start because the founder had accumulated a giant stash of stolen music equipment (all taken from bandstands, while the unwitting band members were getting stoned in the back rooms). So with all that high quality equipment, he got his pals Sid Vicious and Johnny Rotten to form a no talent band with a lot of verve and excellent equipment.

Thanks Animatic for turning me on to Duke. Incredible guitarist, even if he looks like John Candy.

Ever heard of Roy Buchanan? From Maryland (my home state), he was the 1st choice of the R.Stones to replace Brian Jones. Roy was also a wizard on the guitar. He died in a sadly strange scenario - was picked up for being drunk in public, then hanged himself in the county jail cell.

I saw this tour in the UK last year .

I just wish i was going to be in Thailand in Feb along with my Thai missus who loves Clapton. In fact i will buy her and her friend a ticket each, so they can go and see what i saw last year.

Go to the gig guys and enjoy, you will not be dissappointed, you lucky sods.

He actually played a good list of the old classics.

This is a link to Clapton and Santana playing live together, Awsome pairing

Edited by daiwill

I just spoke with one of our illustrious members who went 2-3 years ago and saw Eric in Concert at Impact. He said it was pretty bad. A waste of money. He said he only played one of his great classics. At 5,500 per ticket, I would be upset too!

I suppose it depends what you mean by 'classic', I remember them playing 'Layla', 'Cocaine', 'Crossroads', 'Wonderful Tonight', 'Tell the Truth'... It was more of a Derrick and the Dominos set than Yardbirds or Cream. But i agree that at times Eric seemed to be just going through the motions. He says in his autobiography that that particular tour of Asia was exhausting -- not because of late nights, since he doesn't drink or drug, more because of jet lag and the climate.

But if you check out the DVDs of his recent Crossroads benefit concerts in Texas and Chicago I think you'll find he's still got it. (e.g, see Buccholz's video with Buddy Guy et al above)

Edited by dekestone

I got my tickets yesterday. Will be taking my wife and teenage sons. Seen him several times before, but way back. He often had another 'guest' playing with him, like blues legends BB King. The price of the ticket is not as important as the experience for my sons to see him play live. That's 'priceless'. :clap2:

No, one of the saddest days, 35 yrs ago, had to sell it. The guy who bought it gave me $250 then went on to scold me for carving my g'f's name in the back of it. Was feeling woesomely poor at the time. Incidentally, I heard from a friend of the Sex Pistols that they got their start because the founder had accumulated a giant stash of stolen music equipment (all taken from bandstands, while the unwitting band members were getting stoned in the back rooms). So with all that high quality equipment, he got his pals Sid Vicious and Johnny Rotten to form a no talent band with a lot of verve and excellent equipment.

Thanks Animatic for turning me on to Duke. Incredible guitarist, even if he looks like John Candy.

Ever heard of Roy Buchanan? From Maryland (my home state), he was the 1st choice of the R.Stones to replace Brian Jones. Roy was also a wizard on the guitar. He died in a sadly strange scenario - was picked up for being drunk in public, then hanged himself in the county jail cell.

I saw Roy twice many years back, at about 15 feet away. The guy had huge heart.

But he lived the blues a bit too hard.

I think I have more Duke R. on iTunes than any one artist.

He has a 16 minute tune called 'Blues a Rama' where he plays spot on solos

of legendary great players, and raises the key and does another one, spot on.

Muddy Rogers in Jimmy Rogers style in E,

Eddie Jones aka Guitar Slim in F,

Johnny Guitar Watson in F#,

Lowell Fulsom in G#,

BB King in A,

Gatemouth Brown in Bb,

Freddy King in B,

Albert King in C,

Buddy Guy in Db,

Albert Collins in D,

in Eb He plays like himself.

He was in Roomful of Blues for many years,

then left to play with the Fabulous Thunderbirds,

and then solo for some time now.

Probably the most respected and under-known blues guys out there.

Some 'purists' don't like him adding jazz blues in his sets,

but he does both perfectly.

Clapton is a big fan of his.

Edited by animatic

When I worked at an Eric Clapton show in 2004, I thought it was a good show. Billy Preston was on keyboards. He did most of the same set as the CD, One More Car One More Rider. That same year I worked at shows for David Bowie, Bette Midler, Linkin Park, Yes, Kid Rock, Prince, Sarah McLachlan, Madonna, The Who, Tony Bennett, Van Halen, Diana Ross, Yanni and many others. I thought Clapton was in the top two of all those acts that year and since. I would love to see him again, but I'm not paying to go to a show, as I am used to getting paid to go work shows. Hopefully I will get a message from somebody I know that's working his tour and maybe I'll fly up for the show. Plus I get a bit bored if I am not doing something at a show, since I've been working in the business for 35 years. biggrin.gif

Eric's one of the all-time greats of American Blues-inspired guitarists - if sometimes a bit too polished to really carry off the authenticity of Delta Blues (said that, I think his versions of Robert Johnson's best, the San Antonio recordings, are truly haunting in their emotional/gut authenticity). But to be fair, nobody but those old black dudes that lived through Jim Crow/pre-Civil Rights America really could carry it off. So this isn't a criticism of Clapton. I was lucky enough to see him play (Layla era) with Muddy Waters opening the show, and then the two jamming together at the end. Both phenomenal talents, but entirely different.

Comparing Garcia's psychadelic garage riffing against Clapton's blues-infused work is like comparing electric koolaid to straight whiskey.