Best City In Thailand For Expats

JurgenG

171 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best city in Thailand to live in for Expats

This poll is closed to new votes

Pattaya.

can just about manage a stay of 4 days and longer

4 days!.........................Light weight, I can do 5 days in "The Blender" first night there is akin to a kids first day on a beach; What do I play with first, bat and ball, football, sand castles.......I near pass with joy!...................Then I spend 4 day getting over it all. I must be due another visit!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite up to one's personal taste. Personally can't understand why not live next to that tropical oceans, like I do for many years. It's so beautiful and fresh air all year round.

GH, wonder where is that place? And can't imagine, that people move to a place just because one guy has mentioned that in the net.

not udon thani . a lot of self righteous, judgemental farangs .

not a friendly lot , for newbees . :realangry::huh:

i,m up there cos my DARLING , ex whore is from issan . LOL :jap:

I guess you didn't give Udon enough of a chance,to form that poor opinion,of the Farang community,in Udon.As everywhere there are those that are likeable and those that are not.

Some of the nicest people I know in Thailand,American,Australians,English,Norwegians,Danish,Dutch,Germans,and more....I met on a very long stay in Udonthani.

As for making friends? there was no problem whatsoever,but then some effort,of friendliness, is also needed from within,one's self!

Its too easy to write them all off.

Happy, memorable days,with good company,for me anyway!

Edited by MAJIC

There is NO place in Thailand that you can live next to a tropical ocean ... try Sumatra...

Sea breezes are fine ... but if you have lived near the crashing surf you are in a state of anticipation looking at the Thai Gulf or Andaman going: So when does it start?

... Of course these days there are digital surf synthesizer sound machines for you and your flat sea in Phuket or wherever and sea-breeze fragrance in a can for me in the hinterlands

Edited by jazzbo

If a person is fluent in the Thai language then there are many other options..

Despite what all the Thai Visa expert linguists suggest, IMHO there are VERY few of us Westerners who are fluent enough in Thai to have more than a very rudimentary conversation with anyone but the wife or partner (Sabaijai excepted).

Lots of us can get by in a pinch, but a real conversation with a casual aquaintance or a stranger is not very likely.

I would tend to agree with you and that's pretty sad, (not sad that I agree with you but sad that your right) because it really shouldn't be this way. Maybe as long as the myth is propagated that Thai is next to impossible to learn fluently then this state of affairs will continue. I've come across countless farang who insist there is no point in trying to learn Thai because the tones defeat them and that Thai's can't understand them so whats the point etc. This conveniently ignores the possibility that if their vocabulary extended to the extent they could put a sentence together, then even if the tones were total rubbish they would still be understood simply by the context of the sentence. Lets be realistic here, if you googled the world's most difficult languages Thai wouldn't even get on the ladder, its not on the level of Basque or Hungarian or even English.

Its the singer not the song.

Edited by roamer

Chaing Mai over Pattaya why ? I've been to CM a few times, can't comment on what it's like to live there as I have never lived there, I've heard the traffic is horrendous, the air quality is <deleted> during burning season and you roast in the hot season. Lovely....

Yes, it's a terrible place to live... please don't consider it. Pattaya is of course the delectable place in the country and is perfect for expats. ;)

from West Side Story -- Stephen Sondheim lyrics:

ROSALIA

Puerto Rico,

You lovely island . . .

Island of tropical breezes.

Always the pineapples growing,

Always the coffee blossoms blowing . . .

ANITA

Puerto Rico . . .

You ugly island . . .

Island of tropic diseases.

Always the hurricanes blowing,

BTW I know young Thai girls from Isaan and other parts of Thailand who all grew up on rice and/or sugar farms and the only way THEY want to see a chicken again is after it is Kentucky-fried.

Edited by jazzbo

Hua Hin is my top choice but for retirement. I don't think there are many jobs there outside tourism. Nice beaches, chilled out people, near Bangkok but without the pollution and the rush. Probably too boring for most but perfect for me. However I am no where near retirement so will have to reevaluate many years from now.

It's a pretty difficult question to answer because it's all done to personal tastes and requirements.

I've lived in a few different places over tha st 5 years, and have visited pretty much all of the places on the list on the poll.

Bangkok is still a great place to live, but again if I was retired It would not be a place I would choose to live. Personally, I have always liked Hua Hin , and that would certainly be in my top 3 of choices - if I was not governed by work comittments. On that list I spent a fair amount of time in Knachanaburi - and I think it is a lovely area, with lots of places to see, a laid back lifestyle and a very cheap cost of living. Funnily enough, although Pattaya gets a lot of stick I can really see the attraction to why people choose to live there - lots of resteraunts, good supermarkets, shopping malls, activities, bars,golf courses, by the sea etc, etc and easily located to airport and Bangkok. Again with Pattaya, there really are two sides to it, and I know a number of people there that lead a perfectly quiet and leisurely life there. So probably in no particualr order 1)Hua Hin 2) Kanchanaburi 3) Pattaya

Sea breezes are fine ... but if you have lived near the crashing surf you are in a state of anticipation looking at the Thai Gulf or Andaman going: So when does it start?

Living near crashing surf obviously didn't have that much attraction to you either did it ?

You moved to Thailand. smile.gif

Pattaya.

Pattaya has two faces. What are the reasons of your choice ?

As you can see, it really depends on what you want. For some, being near the ocean is critical (like me). For others, they don't care. For this reason, I ruled out a good portion of Thailand. And after eating on the beach yesterday, the day before, and again tonight...it's tough to beat. I can't imagine being that far away from the sea. I lived on the beach in California for many years. Loved it. Just hated the traffic and the cost! For sure Thailand is not the best seaside in the world, but for sure it's one of the best in terms of affordability and sanook!

Pattaya does have 2 faces. One is the central area, the other is the areas outside. I don't like central Pattaya. But it's great being 20 minutes away. Great seaside restaurants, nice locals, quiet life. But the craziness is there for when you have visitors or want to attend some festivals....of which there are quite a few good ones here.

I need the amenities of a big city, but don't want to live in it. Phuket is too much of a tourist town. Hua Hin is great, but a bit too small for me. Issan is too far from the sea! That left the outer areas of Pattaya...and lots of expats here to hang out with. I now have more friends here than I have back in my home country. Fantastic.

Gotta run. Have to buy the Krathong for tonight to float on the beach near Bang Saray.

Living near crashing surf obviously didn't have that much attraction to you either did it ? You moved to Thailand.

The crashing surf still has a lot of attraction for me ... but after coming to Thailand for extended periods for work and finessing my Thai language ability, I found out that getting laid had a greater atraction... and I am still in that 'working' location in the hinterlands... meanwhile I'll just go looking for some 'ocean wave' mp3s ... here's a start:

Edited by jazzbo

To make everybody comfortable, my gf and I bought a piece of land near Pak Chong just because we like it.

How does this make people feel comfortable? Buying a gf land has never been in any comfort zone of mine.

I never thought I will agree with you, but you're right.

When we bought this land, I had complete trust with my gf. There was just one thing I forgot to take into account, it was her mother. Her mother doesn't need the money, but I guess she's just plain evil. I now realize my gf will never go against her mother will. It doesn't really matter for me, I can just write off the whole deal, no big deal. But it means a lot for our relationship and my future in Thailand. If I can't figure a way to invest under my name, and my name only, it's sure I won't invest one more cent in Thailand. And honestly, I'm not so sure I want to be part of this family anymore ....

GH, wonder where is that place? And can't imagine, that people move to a place just because one guy has mentioned that in the net.

I don't think they moved there because he mentioned it on the net.

He mentioned, they went and had a look, agreed that it was a sweet spot and moved right next door to him.

^ probably a very controversial question, but does anybody decided to live in Isaan because of personal preference ? And not just because the Mrs is from there ?

To make everybody comfortable, my gf and I bought a piece of land near Pak Chong just because we like it.

Yes, Pak Chong for me also. I built a house nearby. Can get anything you need there and also not far from Korat.

Also Pak Chong is on the rail route and plenty buses to BKK.

After reading all these posts I am now sure everyone is looking for something different. I prefer the old thailand and old ways. So big centers donot work for me. I like to see people wai and traffic a mess,5 people on a motorcycle with no helmets.,e_tuks with 30 people on the faltbed going to work the fields,walking through the local market and feeling part of the community because everyone knows me. The nearest tesco or Big C in 43 kilometers away. Cannot even get a hamburger here no restaurants make them, Life is easy relaxed and simple. A place where I am constantly being recognized by locals with smiles and kind gestures. Oh because no one else will want this I willnot bother to mention where it is. I know this is far from most peoples want. But to each his own right.

After reading all these posts I am now sure everyone is looking for something different. I prefer the old thailand and old ways. So big centers donot work for me. I like to see people wai and traffic a mess,5 people on a motorcycle with no helmets.,e_tuks with 30 people on the faltbed going to work the fields,walking through the local market and feeling part of the community because everyone knows me. The nearest tesco or Big C in 43 kilometers away. Cannot even get a hamburger here no restaurants make them, Life is easy relaxed and simple. A place where I am constantly being recognized by locals with smiles and kind gestures. Oh because no one else will want this I willnot bother to mention where it is. I know this is far from most peoples want. But to each his own right.

Err, wouldn't happen to be Lomsak, would it lovelomsak ? :whistling:

Edited by roamer

I don't think they moved there because he mentioned it on the net.

He mentioned, they went and had a look, agreed that it was a sweet spot and moved right next door to him.

right, I didn't mean, that your friend wrote nicely about a place and others read that and instantly packed all their belongings and moved there. I meant it > exactly like you say < Sorry for my ambiguous textual shortcut.

So, why did he mention that? And is that good or bad. I mean, I talk also about remote places and some people, who seem to be very reasonable people and are looking for such a place, want more infos. I would not mind, if such people live in my area. That kind of people certainly won't knock on my door daily to borrow a screwdriver.

Best of the worst might be 15km or so outside Pattaya or 15 km or so outside Chiang Mai (me), I'm a real city lover but Chiang Mai is a culture-lacking black spaghetti shtihole in the middle of nowhere for locals, few backpackers, Asian and Arab tourists and some old farangs who surrendered.

Bangkok usually the best for professionals who wanna stay connected, outside Pattaya for those who love the free and independent life but too much crime, Isan is all 3 times nothing unless you are a lover of tubelights and fried insects, HuaHin the east- and south side not bad for the wealthy but way too remote from the world. Puke-ket sukcs, Nakorn and Trat I don't know but can't be much different from Isan towns.

They just don't know how to make quality cities, for the time being I stay where I am but willing to move any moment.

Come back after 20 years when the red taxis and tuktuks of Chiang Mai have been shredded, where there are car-free zones, bicycle lanes, cleared sidewalks, black spaghetti moved underground and Tapae Gate got a fontain with seats around. Only then Europe will be way cheaper.

:lol:

Sounds great. I too love areas like this, but for now, enjoy being closer to "civilization". But where you live is peaceful and quiet for sure...as long as there are no dogs or chickens nearby! :whistling:

Come back after 20 years when the red taxis and tuktuks of Chiang Mai have been shredded, where there are car-free zones, bicycle lanes, cleared sidewalks, black spaghetti moved underground and Tapae Gate got a fontain with seats around. Only then Europe will be way cheaper.

:lol:

:D:D can´t agree more. But where should one stay meanwhile?

I've lived in Samui and Bangkok but now am 90kms from Laos in a fairly big town. Udon Thani province (not important enough for your poll)

I have all the comforts I need and it's very peaceful.

Like somebody mentioned before, you can walk through the local market and people know you and are pleasant.

I feel up here people don't tend to want your money so much. In the tourist areas I get accosted daily by money grabbers, sometimes farangs!

There are a few miserable old farangs who constantly moan about everything but mostly they are here with wives that are too young for them and they don't have much of a choice.

I am here by choice. I love it here.