Chiang Dao Nest Mini Resort

Spaniel

I've been there 4 or 5 times, it is a really nice place.

And a greeeeat restaurant ;)

Thanks CIB. There is also another place ifn the area that I just located, Malee Nature. Do you know anything about this place?

I have enjoyed the meals served at Nest 2. They are Thai in character, though customers are allowed to select the degree of spice. Excellent quality/price.

Nest #1 has a reputation for culinary excellence that extends to Thais in Chiang Mai - though the meals are western.

All three, as you will have read, invite us to enjoy the out-of-doors, rather than, say, Fang.

Been there numerous times & always enjoyed the experience. No aircon so winter is a good time, the location & views at both Nest 1& especially 2 are stunning, and the staff are wonderful. A great place to pamper yourself, read books, take walks to temples & the caves, relax, eat & drink well and generally feel great. Am thinking of going back soon now that you have stimulated my appetite.thumbsup.gif

great setting, nice people and lots to do in the immediate neighbourhood. Don't forget to bring a big torch (the spotlight variety) for the caves. Monastery at the end of the road beyond the Nest is a must-see and quite fun to walk the nature trail on the way up to it.

Only one caveat. The food is good but not exceptional. I went having read the reviews on TV, "as good as Bankok's best" etc. To be frank it's not, but you will eat well and hopefully be surprised on the upside rather than disappointed as I was due to the build-up.

Stayed a couple of nights earlier this year.

I agree that the farang food was good, but not as good as say Ches Marco here in CM.

Wouldn't go back because of the staff though. I traveled with my baby 5 months at the time and the friendliness and helpfulness I have come to expect in Thailand when it comes to children was distinctively absent.

Also having to listen to the owners (English and Thai) loudly arguing about money in the restaurant every time we had a meal was not very pleasant.

I've stayed there once. Tried 2 other times- the place was full on prior attempts.

(I never make reservations as I am usually travelling on a motorcycle coming from Mae Hong Son and have no idea how the day's travel distance will go).

Other than a minor glitch when I checked in (I was placed in the supposedly last unit, out by the road, which was lacking an armoire or any means or methods to store clothes in the room!)- I was nonetheless enchanted with the place overall.

As to the food- I'm not a haut cuisine/Chow Hound forum/I've-had-it-better-than-you-can-ever-imagine kind of guy.

I can state that during my brief stay the food was excellent, to my taste. The menu varies daily, depending on fresh ingedients, many of which are locally sourced. Excellent wine selection.

I was very taken with the place, and will be there again shortly (no reservation, just show up and take my chances) on a motorcycle loop trip through the north of Thailand.

I recommend the place highly.:thumbsup:

I agree that the farang food was good, but not as good as say Ches Marco here in CM.

Wouldn't go back because of the staff though. I traveled with my baby 5 months at the time and the friendliness and helpfulness I have come to expect in Thailand when it comes to children was distinctively absent.

Also having to listen to the owners (English and Thai) loudly arguing about money in the restaurant every time we had a meal was not very pleasant.

I must admit I thought it was just me but my experiences were pretty much the same came here with my wife and son then 9 month year old a few years back and was less than charmed by the bickering owners and the lack of friendliness.

Edited by anonymouse

I must admit I thought it was just me but my experiences were pretty much the same came here with my wife and son then 9 month year old a few years back and was less than charmed by the bickering owners and the lack of friendliness.

Malee's Nature Lovers Bungalows is by a mile the much better option.. No bickering to be heard there

Malee is a lovely lady. Her cooking & nightly buffet's (she is Thai) are legendary. I've stayed many times over the 15 years or so she's been in business & her mini resort is beautifully laid out.. She is the 'original' in that area, others tried to copy her (and failed.. imo)

Mrs Millwall_fan and I went to CN a few years back with another mixed race couple and tried to order Farang food for the guys and Thai food for the gals, The lady owner fell into a full on rage saying that she wasn't going to sully her wonderfull food with Thai ingredients. I suggested that they get a guy to bring some Thai food on a motorbike from CN2. But she didn't even want Thai food in her wondeful restaurant! Honestly I think she thought she was Michelen starred! Having eaten there previously without the wives, I can assure you its not! Anyway, I can do rage as well as her and gave here a piece of my mind. I tried to remonstrate with the 'chef's' Farang husband but he looked scared stiff of her! We packed our bags at CN2 and returned to Chiang Mai disgusted.

The food is only good because its so hard to get Farang food out in the countryside.

Mrs Millwall_fan and I went to CN a few years back with another mixed race couple and tried to order Farang food for the guys and Thai food for the gals, The lady owner fell into a full on rage saying that she wasn't going to sully her wonderfull food with Thai ingredients. I suggested that they get a guy to bring some Thai food on a motorbike from CN2. But she didn't even want Thai food in her wondeful restaurant! Honestly I think she thought she was Michelen starred! Having eaten there previously without the wives, I can assure you its not! Anyway, I can do rage as well as her and gave here a piece of my mind. I tried to remonstrate with the 'chef's' Farang husband but he looked scared stiff of her! We packed our bags at CN2 and returned to Chiang Mai disgusted.

The food is only good because its so hard to get Farang food out in the countryside.

Can only agree with you after seeing this lady in action about a year ago,not a pretty sight. In answer to her question to a guest "Did you enjoy the dinner? He replied quite politely "Not really' and gave some valid reasons. She went right off , a right old tirade. The guy and his wife packed up and left. 400 baht plus for a main course, of doubtful quality and quantity, I think is a bit over the top for place like Chiang Dau but the Thai food at the other Nest is excellent. Her reasons for not having some Thai food on the menu is a bit beyond me as we all know some Thais just don't enjoy it.

Millwall_fan complaining about the food!!!! Now, THAT'S funny!!

Anyway, he's got it basically right. The Thai food down the road is better for many people. And the hostess can be a real pisser! But, it is a nice place to stay even though it will never, ever find its way into Michelin. Just don't cross the hostess !!!

Edited by Mapguy

Anyway, he's got it basically right. The Thai food down the road is better for many people. And the hostess can be a real pisser! But, it is a nice place to stay even though it will never, ever find its way into Michelin. Just don't cross the hostess !!!

Millwall fan is already fighting battles on the friendly pub post, I'd advise him not to fight on two fronts that's how Napoleon and Hitler lost :D

I've only tried the breakfasts and the cheese platter at the olde Bell

enjoyed both.

Will you be at the TV party Mapguy? B)

OK, the owner is a somewhat strong willed individual, and some may have a problem with that.

They're used to the soft spoken Thai lady whose every response to a question is "kha, kha".

I never witnessed any scenes of bickering, and if I had I would not have mentioned it. Every couple bickers, that is why I have been very happily divorced for some 23 odd years....:rolleyes:

The lady is very hard working, treats her staff well, and serves excellent food IMO.

None of the negative comments will deter me from staying and eating there again. If I can even get a room or a table, that is.....B)

OK, the owner is a somewhat strong willed individual, and some may have a problem with that.

They're used to the soft spoken Thai lady whose every response to a question is "kha, kha".

I never witnessed any scenes of bickering, and if I had I would not have mentioned it. Every couple bickers, that is why I have been very happily divorced for some 23 odd years....:rolleyes:

The lady is very hard working, treats her staff well, and serves excellent food IMO.

None of the negative comments will deter me from staying and eating there again. If I can even get a room or a table, that is.....B)

Well said Mr McG. It's not the best western food you ever ate, but it's better than about 90% of the other farang restaurants you might eat at here in the North, and the setting is simply wonderful.

Oh, and Malee's is very nice as well.

Edited by lannarebirth

I haven't been there but I must admit, it's put me off a bit. Sad, but true. Some more positive comments may change that of course.

Millwall fan is already fighting battles on the friendly pub post, I'd advise him not to fight on two fronts that's how Napoleon and Hitler lost :D

enjoyed both.

The sponsors life is not an easy one, as some have already discovered. I was toying with taking an ad out myself, but I'm not sure if my nerves can take it. I'm under the doctor as it is.

Thought it was just me, but also found it decidedly stuffy... made to hang around while checking in (not a busy time, four cabins two nights), with the owner noticing us but carrying on bollocking her staff nonetheless. Most indifferent and, although the food was good, not giving people an option of not having a standard meal while perhaps aiming too high (in light of where they are) is a bit daft. The setting, however, is fantastic and those trees in Nest 1 are sommat else, but will be doing Malee's in future as hear she appreciates the custom. :whistling:

Thought it was just me, but also found it decidedly stuffy... made to hang around while checking in (not a busy time, four cabins two nights), with the owner noticing us but carrying on bollocking her staff nonetheless. Most indifferent and, although the food was good, not giving people an option of not having a standard meal while perhaps aiming too high (in light of where they are) is a bit daft. The setting, however, is fantastic and those trees in Nest 1 are sommat else, but will be doing Malee's in future as hear she appreciates the custom. :whistling:

I think Chiang Dao is a great place to visit especially with its proximity to Chiang Mai, it's Malee's for me as well next time though.

enjoyed both.

Anonymouse: you have a strange view of TV and internet forums in general, my friend: Mapguy came into my pub once for Sunday Lunch. He didn't like it. I offered him a voucher to retry the Sunday Lunch which he said was an opportunistic gesture and I was playing to the gallery.

Uptheos came clean last night (before the post was pulled) and admitted that he loathes my place because he considers my internet persona to be a bigotted, rascist, culinary elistist, ignoramous (or words to that effect!)

Where would TV be without a bity of rancour.

I sincerely hope Mapguy and Uptheos will come to the TV party. They will both be most welcome!

If everybody agreed with everyone else, few people would read this forum. It's not the most popular forum on TV for nothing!!!

enjoyed both.

Anonymouse: you have a strange view of TV and internet forums in general, my friend: Mapguy came into my pub once for Sunday Lunch. He didn't like it. I offered him a voucher to retry the Sunday Lunch which he said was an opportunistic gesture and I was playing to the gallery.

Uptheos came clean last night (before the post was pulled) and admitted that he loathes my place because he considers my internet persona to be a bigotted, rascist, culinary elistist, ignoramous (or words to that effect!)

I sincerely hope Mapguy and Uptheos will come to the TV party. They will both be most welcome!

If everybody agreed with everyone else, few people would read this forum. It's not the most popular forum on TV for nothing!!!

it was a joke, hence the smiley face :whistling:

Edited by anonymouse

I heard that the recent laudable clean-up operation had resulted in a short-term downturn in viewership, but your recent contributions are bucking the trend. Sneaky!!

I find the alter-ego ruse a bit confusing though. The way I understand it, Millwall fan is a racist bigot and Pedroldebell is a lovable pub landlord. Isn't there the possibility of forgetting which hat, as it where, you are wearing when you post? Just out of curiosity, which one, if any, is the real you?

Edited by thinkinofstayin

I find the alter-ego ruse a bit confusing though. The way I understand it, Millwall fan is a racist bigot and Pedroldebell is a lovable pub landlord.

I have to admit that I find the two nicks confusing too.

Uptheos is usually a real gentleman as I have run him many times over many years and I have to admit that I would love to meet Mapguy in person as he has certainly mellowed out in comparison to the old days - I want to know his secret.

They might not want to eat, but let's hope both of them show up for the free beer! :thumbsup:

Edited by Ulysses G.

I find the alter-ego ruse a bit confusing though. The way I understand it, Millwall fan is a racist bigot and Pedroldebell is a lovable pub landlord.

I have to admit that I find the two nicks confusing too.

Totally understandable. Have you ever seen what happens when nice gentle people put on a soccer (football) jumper and go to europe.