What'S The Friendliest Place To Have A Beer In Chiang Mai?

camerata

I used to frequent a reggae bar in Kyoto when I was visiting. The staff were friendly, as were the other customers, both Japanese and foreigners. Being a small reggae bar it had this friendly "One Love" vibe and was an excellent place for a solo traveller to hang out. Not expensive and there was food available too.

Are there any places like that in Chiang Mai? I looked through the long thread on drinking places and Chiang Mai Saloon on Loi Kroh seems a good bet. Any others?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few of my favorities;

I like Gekko for cheap beer and friendly discussion with expats

Bars near Chiang Mai U are fun for hanging out with Trendy Thai Students

There are several bars on Loi Kroh that have friendly staff that are very fun to have a beer with

Number One bar off of Loi Kroh always seems to have a fair number of people, extensive beer menu, and friendly staff

A few of my favorities;

There are several bars on Loi Kroh that have friendly staff that are very fun to have a beer with

Number One bar off of Loi Kroh always seems to have a fair number of people, extensive beer menu, and friendly staff

Far as I know all the places at LoiKrok are way too expensive, Carnival increased the price for a can of soft drink to 45b, (they just get it at the 7-11 next door for 14b...) I remember I had to pay 40 baht just for a basic water at Number One bar !!! = RIP OFF :angry:

No more sympathy for the Loikrok road businesses...

( the olde bell i dont know, so far never been there )

where is gekko bar ?

Edited by bangkokcitylimits

I wish! But I'm a bit long in the tooth for trendy Thai students.

@bangkokcitylimits - I don't mind a TV on in a bar too much, but preferably music videos, and definitely not sports!

A few of my favorities;

Far as I know all the places at LoiKrok are way too expensive, Carnival increased the price for a can of soft drink to 45b, (they just get it at the 7-11 next door for 14b...) I remember I had to pay 40 baht just for a basic water at Number One bar !!! = RIP OFF :angry:

No more sympathy for the Loikrok road businesses...

( the olde bell i dont know, so far never been there )

where is gekko bar ?

I like playing Pool at Number One and I enjoy the international beer selection

Loi Kroh is definitely not the bargain bars but I enjoy bar hopping and talking with all the friendly staff members

Gekko is across from Mae Ping Hotel across the intersection of death

Edited by PlanetX

@bangkokcitylimits - I don't mind a TV on in a bar too much, but preferably music videos, and definitely not sports!

Indeed a music video is the only thing that can be OK, a good live concert, because you can enjoy it without having to watch.

Sports sucks.

The what Bar was a nice alternative music bar, but since the previous owners sold it, it's become a lady bar which probably wouldn't interest the OP.

The Olde Bell is a family orientated British Pub where both men and women are welcome. I don't know how old you are Camerata and of course wouldn't dream of asking!! but we tend to attract the over 45's at The Bell - although all ages are welcome. The music isnt too loud the conversation is generally easy and friendly and I dont know of anyone who has felt excluded.

as far as Bangkokcitylimits pricing comments go: most bars on Loi Kroh Rd and in many other areas of town sell soft drinks at high prices as the average soft drinker has 1 or 2 cans/bottles whereas the average beer or wine drinker tends to drink more. That's why the price of soft drinks is relatively high. If you take up a seat in a bar the proprietor wants you to buy regular drinks that's how bars stay in business. I'm sure you know that really!

We charge 25 baht for a bottle of water at The Olde Bell, but if you are drinking beer, wine or spirits you can ask for a free glass of water if you want one. The 40 baht for a bottle of water in #1 bar isnt excessive if that's all you are drinking!

<br />The Olde bell is a nice place to drop in to.<br /><br />Zoe in Yellow has friendly staff and great Kebabs and Turkish pizza.<br /><br />Red Mango (the old Tuskers) is a relaxed Koh P style place.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Agree re the Olde Bell and would add that on the same side of Loi Kroh (that "Krok" must be a deliberate alusion to American slang...?)and a bit closer to the moat is Why Not bar with a great pool table, no girls (or boys), no hassle and reasonable prices.

But please do tell. Who is Zoe, why is she in Yellow, WHERE is the place and why the amazing name? That nosh sounds very interesting.

<br />The Olde bell is a nice place to drop in to.<br /><br />Zoe in Yellow has friendly staff and great Kebabs and Turkish pizza.<br /><br />Red Mango (the old Tuskers) is a relaxed Koh P style place.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Agree re the Olde Bell and would add that on the same side of Loi Kroh (that "Krok" must be a deliberate alusion to American slang...?)and a bit closer to the moat is Why Not bar with a great pool table, no girls (or boys), no hassle and reasonable prices.

But please do tell. Who is Zoe, why is she in Yellow, WHERE is the place and why the amazing name? That nosh sounds very interesting.

Directions to Zoe in Yellow by dave2 here

We charge 25 baht for a bottle of water at The Olde Bell, but if you are drinking beer, wine or spirits you can ask for a free glass of water if you want one. The 40 baht for a bottle of water in #1 bar isnt excessive if that's all you are drinking!

Water was NOT all what I was drinking, but I always want a glass of water next to my whiskey because I hate being drunk, so it IS excessive ! After all, personally I think that Number One bar looks way too sterile, nothing of a cosy live bar/cafe atmosphere. Here in town I pay 15baht for 10 liter water of the same quality, just good enough for the coffee. If they so charge 40b for a small bottle, at least they could present a DECENT water like Aura, Minere or even Nestle, still a high profit and just cost them 5 baht more. High prices makes me not feel welcome just being 'milked' as it's pretty much the norm here, even before you finish you're asked if you want another one... get off my back ! They all think of themselves only. No thanks I prefer the bamboo bars where I get a coke for 15b and 20b for a ladies drink, much more 'real', not too much farangs please you just spoil the market ! In Thailand I do NOT pay 40b for a water, ridiculous.

PS Olde Bell how much do you charge for a blonde Lao ? depending on your answer I might jump in one of the coming days and have one :lol:

Chiang Mai Saloon plays music videos. I don't recall seeing sports on their TV. I go there sometimes. It's a friendly place and Ron and his family are nice people. Drink prices are very reasonable.

Chiang Mai Saloon plays music videos. I don't recall seeing sports on their TV. I go there sometimes. It's a friendly place and Ron and his family are nice people. Drink prices are very reasonable.

Drink, coffee prices @ Saloon are OK indeed, owner and family are very hospitable.

Unfortunately they always have difficulties finding 'professional' staff just those poor mannered Burmese refugees and a very arrogant young gossip girl (last time I was there half year ago) Poor mannered staff is a real annoyance in CM...

I miss the Laughing Leprechaun...

Water should be free - it's the law in England!!

Joking aside, I don't think the OP made any suggestion that price was important. The question was "What's the friendliest place to have a beer". No mention of price and no mention of water or soft drinks.

Edited by thinkinofstayin

Joking aside, I don't think the OP made any suggestion that price was important. The question was "What's the friendliest place to have a beer". No mention of price and no mention of water or soft drinks.

Aren't friendly (read: non-rip off) prices a part of the friendliness and hospitality in general ?

Of course basic water should be free unless they ask for a quality water, a glass of water is a SERVICE not a product and it's not only to take but also to give (although many would not agree...)

Well, I won't be drinking water, so we can drop that line of thought. Blonde Lao sounds interesting, though. Never heard of that before. I had a blonde beer called Dali Happy Hours in China recently and it was excellent.

:)

Beer Lao is pretty decent.

As for water ---- I find it strange that in a place where they sell drinks, that they charge for a drink ;)

Aren't friendly (read: non-rip off) prices a part of the friendliness and hospitality in general ?

The price of soft drinks and the friendliness of a bar are totally un-related. If I'm off the booze because of maybe taking medication, and I still go out, then I consider 30 or 40 baht for soft drinks compared to 60-70 baht for a beer as a cheap night out. 'Rip-off' doesn't enter my mind - too busy enjoying myself, maybe.

In answer to the original question, I like Olde Bell and Guitarman.

Depends on how lucky you are you can walk into a bar on one night and there will be just the one miserable old git propping up the bar [probably me :) the next night it might be packed out with people.

A lot of the better places such as No1 and the Olde Bell have already been mentioned. I'd like to add the Red Lion as a option.

Depends on how lucky you are you can walk into a bar on one night and there will be just the one miserable old git propping up the bar [probably me :) the next night it might be packed out with people.

A lot of the better places such as No1 and the Olde Bell have already been mentioned. I'd like to add the Red Lion as a option.

The Red Lion doesn't get mentioned much on here, which is too bad because it probably is the best British style pub.

They don't need to do much 'selling' because of the high tourist trade they have, plus quite a few regulars.

The food's good and a fair selection of beers and other drinks, though they could be cheaper....but that will never happen as long as it's packed with tourists. It's a nice place to sit outside on a cool evening and inside is air con if you want it. I think places that offer air con inside and outside seating have an edge. There's nothing worse than having a beer/meal with a rotating fan blasting away.

The Red Lion doesn't get mentioned much on here, which is too bad because it probably is the best British style pub.

They don't need to do much 'selling' because of the high tourist trade they have, plus quite a few regulars.

The food's good and a fair selection of beers and other drinks, though they could be cheaper....but that will never happen as long as it's packed with tourists. It's a nice place to sit outside on a cool evening and inside is air con if you want it. I think places that offer air con inside and outside seating have an edge. There's nothing worse than having a beer/meal with a rotating fan blasting away.

I wounder what the RL charges for water.:whistling:

The what Bar was a nice alternative music bar, but since the previous owners sold it, it's become a lady bar which probably wouldn't interest the OP.

I wouldn't believe this part of the post if I was you, he is obviously after your business at another's expense.

The What bar is definitely not a lady bar (I know because i have one just across from it), there is only two girls working there, and always in staff uniform. It used to be a popular place with the younger crowd and I used to like going myself, but during a succession of owners it has gone down hill.