What'S The Friendliest Place To Have A Beer In Chiang Mai?

camerata

Depends on how lucky you are you can walk into a bar on one night and there will be just the one miserable old git propping up the bar [probably me :) the next night it might be packed out with people.

A lot of the better places such as No1 and the Olde Bell have already been mentioned. I'd like to add the Red Lion as a option.

The Red Lion doesn't get mentioned much on here, which is too bad because it probably is the best British style pub.

They don't need to do much 'selling' because of the high tourist trade they have, plus quite a few regulars.

The food's good and a fair selection of beers and other drinks, though they could be cheaper....but that will never happen as long as it's packed with tourists. It's a nice place to sit outside on a cool evening and inside is air con if you want it. I think places that offer air con inside and outside seating have an edge. There's nothing worse than having a beer/meal with a rotating fan blasting away.

I wounder what the RL charges for water.:whistling:

I refuse to talk about Water or Fish &Chips or Pizza or Hamburger's......... wink.gif

You're a stirrer. whistling.gif

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The what Bar was a nice alternative music bar, but since the previous owners sold it, it's become a lady bar which probably wouldn't interest the OP.

I wouldn't believe this part of the post if I was you, he is obviously after your business at another's expense.

The What bar is definitely not a lady bar (I know because i have one just across from it), there is only two girls working there, and always in staff uniform. It used to be a popular place with the younger crowd and I used to like going myself, but during a succession of owners it has gone down hill.

If you had walked past there at midnight last night, you would understand why.

The what Bar was a nice alternative music bar, but since the previous owners sold it, it's become a lady bar which probably wouldn't interest the OP.

I wouldn't believe this part of the post if I was you, he is obviously after your business at another's expense.

The What bar is definitely not a lady bar (I know because i have one just across from it), there is only two girls working there, and always in staff uniform. It used to be a popular place with the younger crowd and I used to like going myself, but during a succession of owners it has gone down hill.

...and, and!!

...and, and!!

He is probably referring to the twp lady boys that sometimes turn up but doesn't work there.

...and, and!!

And..... it's unsavory practice for the owner of a pub/bar, to start off by making a feeble attempt at turning a potential customer away from a competitor's pub/bar......... and then go on to write how nice and appropriate their place is.

Edited by uptheos

Do you guys really think that Olde Belle is going to maliciously and intentionally slander another bar for the small chance of the OP turning up at his?

His comment about the What Bar being a girl bar has been refuted - no problem

I go to the What Bar often and really enjoy it, have never been asked to purchase lady drinks and I think last time I tried to take all 3 of the staff members home and they didnt kick me out - so they have a good sense of humour as well

Edited by PlanetX

Do you guys really think that Olde Belle is going to maliciously and intentionally slander another bar for the small chance of the OP turning up at his?

I go to the What Bar often and really enjoy it, have never been asked to purchase lady drinks and I think last time I tried to take all 3 of the staff members home and they didnt kick me out - so they have a good sense of humour as well

I didn't see it as 'maliciously slandering' but rather a feeble attempt to put someone off, followed by how nice we are.

Did you try to take all three staff members home together? rolleyes.gif

Edited by uptheos

I didn't see it as 'maliciously slandering' but rather a feeble attempt to put someone off, followed by how nice we are.

absolutely

absolutely

biggrin.gif Now that WOULD be the friendliest place to have a beer. wink.gif

I rather like the Happy Bar in MoonMuang Soy 2

I just spent most of the day getting 'happy' there with about 10 others of assorted nationalities (aged 30-65).

Nice pool table, and a good selection of foot traffic to watch passing by.

Chang 60bht for a large bottle in the day.

Nok cooks good food too!

I just spent most of the day getting 'happy' there with about 10 others of assorted nationalities (aged 30-65).

Nok cooks good food too!

That sounds fun, I will have to check that out

Sticking with the 'One Love' reggae-ish theme, I believe the list is as follows:

* Bars in the Boon Yoo area near the Irish Pub. (and perhaps the Irish Pub itself on good nights)

* Cafe Del Sol and Guitarman on near the Iron Bridge. Google them.

Those places can and do get crowded on fun nights. If the key word is 'small & friendly' then there are some other options around Thapae Gate and into the sois.

Nok cooks good food too!

That little area around soi 2 has quite a nice feel to it.

Nok cooks good food too!

If you're a cheap crusty old sexpat like me: Yes, absolutely!

If not, then, well, not.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Nok cooks good food too!

If you're a cheap crusty old sexpat like me: Yes, absolutely!

If not, then, well, not.

That's done it, now everyone will be flocking there! wink.gif

After all, personally I think that Number One bar looks way too sterile, nothing of a cosy live bar/cafe atmosphere.

It's strictly BYOD: Bring Your Own Dirty mind. When you do, it's okay.

No thanks I prefer the bamboo bars where I get a coke for 15b and 20b for a ladies drink, much more 'real', not too much farangs please you just spoil the market ! In Thailand I do NOT pay 40b for a water, ridiculous.

Interesting you claim it's more real when the issue is that you can't (or don't want) to spend 40 baht. Consider for a moment all the costs for a bar operation, and all the things that need to be in place to get you a seat under your bum and a friendly waitress to serve something to you. The purchase price of water really doesn't matter much.

THE FRIENDLIEST PLACE BY FAR IS IN MY GARDEN

IF YOU ARE SUPPLING THE BEERS!!

THE FOOD MONSTER

I THINK MOST PLACES IN CHIANG MAI ARE FRIENDLY I RECOMMEND THE GEKKO AS PRICES ARE GOOD 3 BOTTLES FOR 155 BAHT

Edited by bazmlb
Fonts changed as per forum netiquite

Come on guys this is silly bordering on churlish. Either get it out into the open or give us moderates a break. Surely two longstanding respected? members such as yourselves cannot consider your banter to be in the best interests of the Forum.

Back on topic...what was it again? Oh yes, "What'S The Friendliest Place To Have A Beer In Chiang Mai?" My vote goes to The Gecko, great staff, great food, cheap beer, good company and a boss who brings it all together with a touch of modest panache. Good on yer Rudy! :D

Edited by Tywais
Removed quote of deleted post

Back on topic...what was it again? Oh yes, "What'S The Friendliest Place To Have A Beer In Chiang Mai?" My vote goes to The Gecko, great staff, great food, cheap beer, good company and a boss who brings it all together with a touch of modest panache. Good on yer Rudy! :D

Gecko is a great place. Tried it last week for the first time and was very impressed with the quality of the food and the prices.

Have been back three times since. smile.gif

Going back to The What (i probably won´t be!), this was one of the places i was looking forward to visiting after three years away from chiang mai. i remember a nice atmosphere with some decent, alternative sounds but now it seems to be playing the same dross as most of the other bars. i must say the music is one of the main draws for me. anywhere playing bruno mars or this sort of nonsense won´t be seeing much of my money. So, changing slightly from the original thread i would nominate The Small House, not just for the music but a friendly atmosphere to boot. if anyone knows any other places where i can listen to LCD Soundsystem, Yeah Yeahs Yeahs, Hot Chip, White Stripes, The Kills, Gorillaz, Arcade Fire etc on a regular basis i would like to know.

Going back to The What (i probably won´t be!), this was one of the places i was looking forward to visiting after three years away from chiang mai. i remember a nice atmosphere with some decent, alternative sounds but now it seems to be playing the same dross as most of the other bars. i must say the music is one of the main draws for me. anywhere playing bruno mars or this sort of nonsense won´t be seeing much of my money. So, changing slightly from the original thread i would nominate The Small House, not just for the music but a friendly atmosphere to boot. if anyone knows any other places where i can listen to LCD Soundsystem, Yeah Yeahs Yeahs, Hot Chip, White Stripes, The Kills, Gorillaz, Arcade Fire etc on a regular basis i would like to know.

Some of these smaller places are pretty cool after a few visits about playing the type of music you want to hear - I have brought my Ipod a few times and jammed out

Some of these smaller places are pretty cool after a few visits about playing the type of music you want to hear - I have brought my Ipod a few times and jammed out

Hard for me to jam out on Tony Bennett, Peggy Lee, George Shearing and MJQ et al. unsure.gif

Been to Guitarman quite a few times and have always had a warm welcome.

A bar where the live music is played so loud that you can't talk to anyone unless you sit outside. Drinks very expensive.

I went there once ....... not friendly, not fun.

Where ever I've been in the world and gone to see live music it's been pretty loud I thought that was the point, I frequent the Guitarman from time to time as well as the Northgate Jazz Collective to listen to the music. If I want a quiet drink with friends I'd go elsewhere.

I don't find the drinks any more expensive than similiar drinking venues in the area and the food though the normal fast food fodder, pizza and burgers, there pretty good.

A bar where the live music is played so loud that you can't talk to anyone unless you sit outside. Drinks very expensive.

Where ever I've been in the world and gone to see live music it's been pretty loud I thought that was the point, I frequent the Guitarman from time to time as well as the Northgate Jazz Collective to listen to the music. If I want a quiet drink with friends I'd go elsewhere.

I don't find the drinks any more expensive than similiar drinking venues in the area and the food though the normal fast food fodder, pizza and burgers, there pretty good.

So we agree, can't talk so not friendly as requested by the OP

So we agree, can't talk so not friendly as requested by the OP

Or you can sit outside as you stated ;)