V Sign

The Gentleman Scamp

What is it with Thai girls having their photos taken and holding up two fingers in a kind of victory salute?

Seen it here in China too so it appears to be an Asian quirk but do they do it with the same intention as Winston Churchill? ..Or do they not know why they do it but have seen other young people doing it, holding their spread index and second finger next to their head whilst displaying a toothy Walace & Gromitt grin, and think to give it a go as well as it can surely only make a photo more entertaining to look at. :o

Where I come from holding up 2 fingers means something quite different.

Perhaps all these girls are imparting a subliminal message to you Scamp?

That predictable comment would have required very little imagination or wit from even somebody with avarage intelligence so coming from you it's shameful.

Now switch off the computer and go to your room.

I have to practice my mouse clicking, so i'll just go back to that.

A sport in which my skills are distinctly above...

avarage

Some of us are preparing for the 2008 Beijing Olympics you know. No time for blogging.

Edited by The_Moog

What is it with Thai girls having their photos taken and holding up two fingers in a kind of victory salute?

Seen it here in China too so it appears to be an Asian quirk but do they do it with the same intention as Winston Churchill?  ..Or do they not know why they do it but have seen other young people doing it, holding their spread index and second finger next to their head whilst displaying a toothy Walace & Gromitt grin, and think to give it a go as well as it can surely only make a photo more entertaining to look at.  :o

I think it is copied from The Japanese girls, they all do it - means peace etc. unless behind your head, then it's bunny ears!! :D

1365027094.jpg

Indeed, it is very common here in Thailand... and I think they ARE copycats of Sir Winston...

but like most things copied, they don't get it quite exactly they same...

they rarely seem to have big cigars in their mouths when they do it.

:o

Edited by sriracha john

Seen it here in China too so it appears to be an Asian quirk but do they do it with the same intention as Winston Churchill?  ..Or do they not know why they do it but have seen other young people doing it, holding their spread index and second finger next to their head whilst displaying a toothy Walace & Gromitt grin, and think to give it a go as well as it can surely only make a photo more entertaining to look at.  :o

It's a sign you are aging Scamp - young people like to differentiate themselves from their elders by having music/poses/words/mode of dress that confounds & confuses their elders.

Some older peeps try to maintain their youth by following these trends but as the picture of the running gal shows - it's hard to pull off & keep your dignity at the same time.

Your comments are akin to my dad's "That's not real music - it's just beep, beep, beep" & "You aren't going out dressed like that are you ?"

I can grasp the V sign which Churchill used as a sign of Victory. During the 60s it became a peace symbol form of greeting. These days, in some cases, like the sport lady with the smile, it's probably a Victory sign. In other cases, either a trendy "hello" sign for photos, or in most cases just a popular thing to do.

What I have a hard time grasping is the Check sign with the thumb extended under the chin and the forefinger pointing up the cheek. Seems to be a popular thing among school age kids. But I've seen adults do it too. From what I can gather, it's supposed to be stylish or a cutesy look like some models on teen magazine covers.

checksign3mf.jpg

Edited by AmeriThai

Here's a photo link of a group of friends that helped out with the clean up after a huge party we held in the province of Saraburi. Quite a variety of V signs, Check signs, pointed finger, etc.

http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/8701/th...etings013xi.jpg

Now, that's just over kill. :o

HAHAHA! It certanly is. I never thought much about it until I saw this thread. I guess it was their "moment of fame" at having people in the US see them, and of course now the Internet. Mostly, it was just hamming it up for the camera. These villagers are all very good and fun-loving people. I've never seen any farangs there, which makes me the token foreigner. The party was a 4-day event and a total blast!

Here's a photo link of a group of friends that helped out with the clean up after a huge party we held in the province of Saraburi. Quite a variety of V signs, Check signs, pointed finger, etc.

HAHAHA! It certanly is. I never thought much about it until I saw this thread. I guess it was their "moment of fame" at having people in the US see them, and of course now the Internet. Mostly, it was just hamming it up for the camera. These villagers are all very good and fun-loving people. I've never seen any farangs there, which makes me the token foreigner. The party was a 4-day event and a total blast!

They look happy, that's good enough for me. 4day party! :D

They look happy, that's good enough for me. 4day party! :D

Heh! It was quite an event. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the locals are still talking about it. I'm gonna try to see if I can post some of the photos to an album.

:D