Looking For Kick Boxing Instructor

Deadcert

I find it strange that there seems to be so little awareness among foreign boxing and Thaiboxing (มวยไทย ) afficianados of the National Sports Training Centre (ศูนย์ฝึกซ้อมกีฬาแห่งชาติ) and the head trainer there, Acharn Deng (Narong Improm). He is said by Thai boxers to be the best coach in Thailand. He boxed with the national team under Cuban coach Juan Fontanils for several years, winning a gold medal as a middleweight in each of the SEA Games and Asian Games, and a silver medal in the World Amateur Boxing Championships (BKK 1993). I have seen the National Amateur Team from Malaysia brought to the STC to train with him and their own coach (a Thai).

However, his original joy and still his major interest is Thaiboxing. I have seen amateurs working out there, and plenty of pros as well. ["Well, that guy (that you mentioned as being very good) makes about 10,000 baht a fight, but that guy (pointing to another) makes about 40,000 baht a fight."] I have a seen a group of about twenty Chinese brought from the Shao Lin Temple to train with him for a week in order to get some Thaiboxing training/experience. He is the coach recommended by the National Amateur Boxing Association of Thailand if you go and ask them (office at the National Stadium) to recommend someone...I know because I did that! He has been sent by the government to several different countries (e.g. Russia, China, Germany) to teach Thaiboxing to coaches there. In addition, he teaches martial arts to Thai army personnel.

It should be mentioned that the STC is being rebuilt -- undergoing a major construction improvement -- at the moment, and so you have to get in by going around the back...training continues however. And it looks like the new facilities are going to be excellent. It's on Ramkamhaeng Road, just a little east of Hua Mark Stadium, approached by going in on the road beside Hua Mark Police Station.

Keep in mind that Acharn Deng is paid a mere pittance by the STC. If you want one-on-one training, then the Thai way is to slip him some money unobtrusively...it's best passed when shaking hands and in an envelope.

His ability in English is minimal, but he is so good that you'll find out he doesn't need it to train you. And anyway, usually there is someone around who can translate for questions that cannot be answered by doing, by action (e.g. non-training type question).

Rest assured you will be getting the best and training with the best. Lots of sparring partners around (usually), if you want him to set that up for you. Or you can spar with him; he never takes unfair advantage. You be honest and he will, too. He's a very good man.

• 1 month later...

I have a friend with a new camp in HH which would take non pro / active fighters, http://www.facebook....100001800846562 . Quite a nice camp too, money comig from a farang.

However if you would like some privates from a brit (like my self ... :P) it would cost 300bht an hour and 2 hours minium and includes -

1hour 20mins 1 on 1 with my instructor

and

40mins sparing with me or my friends, depending on your size - all have pro fighting experince.

pm if you are interested..

Edited by sam666

• 8 months later...

It's a little way out of Hua Hin, but I would def. reccommend 301 Muay Thai in Samroiyod (perhaps 45 minutes drive or so south of Hua Hin). Especially if you are coming specifically to train. They have a website, take a look.

I heard of Samroiyod. Did you personally train there? How was your experience?

It's a little way out of Hua Hin, but I would def. reccommend 301 Muay Thai in Samroiyod (perhaps 45 minutes drive or so south of Hua Hin). Especially if you are coming specifically to train. They have a website, take a look.

I heard of Samroiyod. Did you personally train there? How was your experience?

I only trained there a couple of times cos of time/work/other issues. If I could, I would go everyday!

• 1 month later...

A new training facility has sprung up in the last couple of months out on Soi 88 west of town. If you drive over the hills on Soi 88 and into the countryside soon you will see a large building with a curved metal roof on the right with half walls and the rest open. Driving by the other day I could see the hanging bags and other equipment that boxing gyms have, so I suspect it is a kick boxing training facility. I don't know whether they offer lessons or instruction or not but you could check it out.