Alcohol Check Points

Cloggie

Hello,

A friend of mine told me that the Thai police in Pattaya are now using 'breath analyzers" to check if you drunk to much alcohol.

If caught you have to pay about TB 20.000 and they ONLY stop falang drivers with motorbikes as Thai of course can't afford this penalty.

Can somebody confirm this story correct / not correct?

Thanks,

M.

The legal blood-alcohol limit in Thailand is 0.5 grams of alcohol per litre of blood.

However, for drivers that have held their licence for less than five years the limit is 0.2 grams per litre of blood.

Drivers caught over the legal limit are heavily fined and may be imprisoned or required to do community service

The legal blood-alcohol limit in Thailand is 0.5 grams of alcohol per litre of blood.

However, for drivers that have held their licence for less than five years the limit is 0.2 grams per litre of blood.

Drivers caught over the legal limit are heavily fined and may be imprisoned or required to do community service

Thanks a lot for the info

It was my understanding that in normal circumstances the B20,000 was bail money....

i.e. If caught you are taken back to the police station, processed and held in a cell until someone turned up with B20,000 bail.

After turning up at court and sentenced and fined this bail money was returned.

A friend experienced this (driving over the alcohol limit) a few years ago... He received his bail money, received 40 points on his license (which tops out at 60) and had to give blood (as community service). I'm not sure if there was monetary fine, but if there was it was small.

In Pattaya the Police taking B20,000 is nothing more than a scam and they know the stupid westerners who drink drive are scared enough to pay it.

It is also my understanding that the Police are taking a far harder line on DUI more recently.

In short with the cost of Baht busses and taxi's in Thailand there really is no need to drink drive / ride. If you can afford B40,000 for a motorbike surely you can also afford a taxi ?

Funny like there are always people who have all the answers. Of course for those who live downtown (mostly tourists, very few expats) taking a baht bus home is a non-issue, but If you live 10km outside Pattaya it is not a matter of what it cost to get a taxi, it's if you can find one who is bothered to take you in the first place, without making it a complete rip off.

The one person i know about first hand who has been stopped for DUI in Thailand was stopped in Bangkok and offered the choice of an official 20K fine + jail + possible getting kicked out of the country OR a 2,000 baht on-the-spot donation to the coffee box.

how does 0.2 grams equate to large botts of chang

i assume the drink drive laws only apply to farangs

Where do these stories come from? :blink:

My story came from a close friend who actually did get caught, are you saying breathalyzers don't exist in Thailand ??

they breathalyze in Phuket, and the fine is 40 K ( they sometime have the checkpoint in Kamala

I use to live in Pattaya and moved to Korat a couple of years ago. Here in Korat they normally have alcohol checkpoints, and yes if over the limit you are hauled off to jail, fined between 5,000 and 20,000 and have to go to court. You lose your driving privileges, and have to perform community service. It's just not worth it all when you can easily take a taxi.

Barry

Funny like there are always people who have all the answers. Of course for those who live downtown (mostly tourists, very few expats) taking a baht bus home is a non-issue, but If you live 10km outside Pattaya it is not a matter of what it cost to get a taxi, it's if you can find one who is bothered to take you in the first place, without making it a complete rip off.

The one person i know about first hand who has been stopped for DUI in Thailand was stopped in Bangkok and offered the choice of an official 20K fine + jail + possible getting kicked out of the country OR a 2,000 baht on-the-spot donation to the coffee box.

Odd response. Are there really "very few expats" that live outside the reach of the baht buses ? I don't think so and I've lived in Sor AR, 2nd Rd, Soi Bukaow and Soi 13 Beach Rd (at present).

To me its simple, it doesn't matter where you live, if you are going out for even one drink, leave the car / motorbike at home, It doesn't matter where you live: if you can't sort something out on the transport front, then stay out of the bars.

For f**ks sake, the roads are dangerous enough, without additional DUI drivers.

Londo

Odd response. Are there really "very few expats" that live outside the reach of the baht buses ? I don't think so and I've lived in Sor AR, 2nd Rd, Soi Bukaow and Soi 13 Beach Rd (at present).

To me its simple, it doesn't matter where you live, if you are going out for even one drink, leave the car / motorbike at home, It doesn't matter where you live: if you can't sort something out on the transport front, then stay out of the bars.

Londo

Fully agree, but one step more anyone DUI should be charged with attempted murder as to get behind the wheel when drunk is premeditated.

Londo

Try reading my post again. I didn't say there ver "very few expats" that live outside the reach of bath buses, on the contrary I said most expats live outside the reach of baht buses in Pattaya, aka the dark side.

Londo

Fully agree, but one step more anyone DUI should be charged with attempted murder as to get behind the wheel when drunk is premeditated.

Cant agree with you more. Well done Pattaya police don't fine them just lock them up and throw away the key . . . good riddance!!

Of course one should, if having consumed alcohol, always take a taxi home.

The roads are so much safer that way as the Baht bus drivers and motorpsycho taxi riders are models of sobriety. :whistling:

I used to live over the dark side, soi Khaw Noi, and never had a problem getting a motorbike taxi home. However I did have just the one taxi stand I used as I knew they were, on the whole, okay.

It's nothing new. I've seen breathalysers used here in Pattaya for at least the past 6 years. Lots of checkpoints around during the King's birthday, Christmas, and New Year. Usually on 3rd Road (near Pattaya Klang), Pattaya Nua (near City Hall), Thepprasitt (near Sukhumvit), and Sukhumvit (at many locations). I have been stopped several times myself, and had to 'blow in the tube'.

I don't drink and others that had to perform the test with me were not found to be intoxicated. So I can so I can't attest to to limits, fines, penalties, or procedures if you are found 'over the limit'.

Foreigners, Thais, Cars, and Motorcycles get stopped. They actually close the road down to one or two lanes, stop and question each driver. Sometimes the administer the test while you are in the vehicle. Sometimes the make you park and have the test performed at tables setup along the road.

My story came from a close friend who actually did get caught, are you saying breathalyzers don't exist in Thailand ??

I am refering to the crap about on the spot fines of 20 k not about breathalisers you clown.

If you say so.

Your post was ambiguous.

So who is the clown? :P

Edited by kevkev1888

Londo

Try reading my post again. I didn't say there ver "very few expats" that live outside the reach of bath buses, on the contrary I said most expats live outside the reach of baht buses in Pattaya, aka the dark side.

It was great living in Bangkok. Metered taxis everywhere. We live near the Ambassador. Try getting a baht bus to take you there at 2am. Impossible...plus, who wants to ride in a baht bus? :bah: The "metered" taxis here are a total rip off. Really sucks.

My friend's best friend got caught in Bangkok a few months ago. He was connected, so they let him park his car and take a taxi home. Otherwise, it was a big fine and they were going to tow his car.

I'm actually glad they are doing these things. Down here, we have wrecks all the time due to drunk drivers going too fast. It's death alley here late at night....

The fine should be higher!

It is a no go to drink and drive. I would feel much safer with strict enforcement when riding my bike late at night. However there remains the problem of drunken Thais driving around everywhere... :annoyed:

From a friend who lives 15km out of town and gets drunk almost every night.

Luckily for him his wife has a barbershop not too far from the bars, so he can take a songteaw to fall down and recover, ,which he did anyway iso getting home when too drunk.

Now how much is too drunk? :whistling:

Edited by tartempion