Moveing To Thailand

lazar70

Hi Im 40 years old and as of 2 years ago I met a thailand women online and have been talkin to her for 2 years as of 12/12 and things are going great...I was wanting to move there to be with her and her family..How ever I am collecting social security and disablity checks every month..I have been collecting these checks most of my life cause I am classified as learning disabled..I was just wondering what the chances are of me haveing my checks transsfered from the U.S.A.the thailand as a source of income for myself her and her??If anyone has any information on this subject please feel free to comment..I would like all the information I can get on this and thank u all...

Maybe learning disabled is code for something else?

On the chance that some people may be confused, it is perfectly legal to collect old age based social security (US) while living abroad. It's probably a good thing for the deficit as you can't use medicare abroad!

Edited by Jingthing

from the ssa website

If you leave the United States

Leaving the United States means leaving the 50 states, the District of Columbia or the Northern Mariana Islands. Usually, if you leave the United States for 30 days or more, you can no longer get SSI.

If you move to Puerto Rico, you are considered to be outside the United States for SSI purposes only. People who live in Puerto Rico cannot get SSI.

If you plan to leave the United States, tell us before you leave. We need to know the date you plan to leave and the date you plan to come back. Then we can tell you if your SSI will be affected.

Once you have been outside the United States for 30 or more days in a row, your SSI cannot start again until you have been back in the country for at least 30 straight days.

There are special rules for dependent children of military personnel who leave the U.S. They may be able to get or apply for SSI while overseas. There also are exceptions for students studying abroad.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/11011.html#14c