American Football

ChuckZ

I'm wondering if American football is shown much on TV there? Is it broadcat on regular TV? Cable TV? Avaiable on satelite? I would like to be able to watch it from my apt.

And another question. How expensive is cable tv or a satelite?

Thanks,

Chuck

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering if American football is shown much on TV there? Is it broadcat on regular TV? Cable TV? Avaiable on satelite? I would like to be able to watch it from my apt.

And another question. How expensive is cable tv or a satelite?

Thanks,

Chuck

ESPN Intenational is carried on UBC, the only cable system availablle here. In past years, ESPN has generally carried most Sunday night and Monday night football games live, which puts them on out here about eight on the following morning. Occasionallly they repeat the games in the evenings, occasionaly they don't. The biggest problem in trying to watch football in Thailand is that the announced schedules are frequently unreliable and the games will not be carried live or repeated when scheduled, but will appear at some other and totally unannounced time.

In addition to ESPN, one of the Star sports channels (also carried by UBC) has also carried live football in the past, usually two of the Sunday afternoon games from the networks, which puts the games to air out here in the wee hours of the morning. Like ESPN, sometimes they are repeated, sometimes not. Regardless, if you have a VCR, you just tape them and play them back at your leisure.

As for the cost of UBC, I'm not absolutely sure since thankfully I don't pay the bills around here. I seem to recall it's something like B1000 per month or something like that.

Two Sunday afternoon games are broadcast live on the SuperSport Gold channel, from midnight to 6 AM (I used to stay up all night watching when lodged at JW Marriott). The Sunday night game and Monday nignt games are broadcast live on ESPN Monday & Tuesday mornings, respectively.

Two Sunday afternoon games are broadcast live on the SuperSport Gold channel, from midnight to 6 AM (I used to stay up all night watching when lodged at JW Marriott).  The Sunday night game and Monday nignt games are broadcast live on ESPN Monday & Tuesday mornings, respectively.

Thanks for the heads up about the games on cable.

I understand that it would be unpracticle to hire a team of engineers to design and put a satelite into low earth orbit just so I can watch football games from Thailand.

But how about a satelite dish. Here in the US, DirecTV and Dish network are avail from anywhere between $40-$120 a month, but due to the geosyncronous position of their satelites, I doubt that they can accessed from BKK . Is there a satelite subscription service avail in BKK? If so, approximately what are the costs? And is there a website with some of the packages that are offered.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Chuck

Two Sunday afternoon games are broadcast live on the SuperSport Gold channel, from midnight to 6 AM (I used to stay up all night watching when lodged at JW Marriott).  The Sunday night game and Monday nignt games are broadcast live on ESPN Monday & Tuesday mornings, respectively.

I understand that it would be unpracticle to hire a team of engineers to design and put a satelite into low earth orbit just so I can watch football games from Thailand.

But how about a satelite dish. Here in the US, DirecTV and Dish network are avail from anywhere between $40-$120 a month, but due to the geosyncronous position of their satelites, I doubt that they can accessed from BKK . Is there a satelite subscription service avail in BKK? If so, approximately what are the costs? And is there a website with some of the packages that are offered.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Chuck

I have seen dishes there but for the lfie of me cant remember , i think that its ubc as a cable system but uses satelite

Thanks a bunch!!!

Chuck

I have seen dishes there but for the lfie of me cant remember , i think that its ubc as a cable system but uses satelite

UBC is a cable system but uses small satellite dishes for areas where cable doesn't run, this is what I have. The dish sits on my balcony and is about 40cm diameter. The cost per month depends on the package you subscribe to (3 levels). I have the middle level at 1500 B/month.

www.ubctv.com

Chuck

UBC has both a sat service and a landline cable service. The contents are identical, except for the digital index on the sat system. That's really your only option. Well, I suppose there must be some hobbists who put up private dishes and figure out a way to defeat the scramblers to access direct feeds off braodcasts satelites (it's not illegal as far as I know), but there are no commercial alternatives.

If you're going to live in Bangkok you've got to get used to what the rest of us live with. You take what you can get and smile bravely.

I know UBC has pro games, but what if we want to watch college football? I suffered greatly last year not being able to watch any of teh regular season games, coz ESPN asia don't show any. :o

I know the American embassy and embassy residential compounds in bangkok get direct satellite from the US, but seeing as don't know anyone who works for the embassy, it's pretty hard to get any college games. Does any one know if JSAT or any other satellite provider has US programming?

I can't stand missing another season, I would go nuts if I did :D , so ANY help is highly appreciated.

Oh BTW if anyone is interested in playing pick up games of flag football, I;d be more than happy to arrange gatherings providing we have enough number.... :D

It has been a wasteland as far as college football goes. ESPN usually shows some bowl games at the end of the year, but they are typically second or third tier. Forget about the big games... :o

But I'm wondering... Now that UBC has pay per view (I think they've shown or are showing Cricket) maybe, just maybe, they'll show some college football. I for one would be willing to pay for some games, depending of course on the price.

(No reason to believe that they actually will do this. Just a wild fantasy on my part.) :D

The NFL coverage here isnt bad, considering. I dont remember if all the playoff games were televised last year, though. The conference championships and super bowl are.

BUT - dont count on anything from UBC. I cant think of a worse run, more consumer unfriendly company. I'm a long time subscriber (DSTV gold- 1500 baht per month) and have written numerous times to ask about whats next on pay per view (mostly interested in boxing, but college football would be nice)-- "we hope to provide more event in future" is all they will say.

Another alternative might be with broadband expanding here, you might be able to get games over the net. I know the NBA has a subscription, not sure about a college football plan.

The UBC book has just arrived and it looks like they will be showing three Sunday games on Monday, and then the Monday night game on Tuesday.

Here is the schedule for the first weekend:

Friday 9th – Oak vs – NE 08:00 (ESPN) – Special season opener game

Monday 12th – NO vs Caroline 00:00 (Super Sport Action)

Monday 12th – Dallas vs – SD 03:15 (Super Sport Action)

Monday 12th – Indy vs Baltimore 07:28 (ESPN)

Tuesday 13th – Phily vs Atlanta 08:00 (ESPN)

First week has five games because of the season opener. Every other week in Sept appears to have four games (three Sunday games, and the Monday night game).

It also looks like they reshow some of the games at various times.

Well, there are Pre - season games being held and shown on TV here in America...:o

Last night on NBC they had the New York Giants vs. New York Jets ( Since they are from different leauges, they don't play against each other during the regular season ). Jets won the past 9 years against the Giants when they played against each other in the preseason.

After that big brawl between the teams at their training camp up in Albany back on the 6th, I wanted to see if it would carry over to this game. But of course, no one got fined up in Albany, but they would be during a regular game. :D

I'm a Giants Fan, and I was kinda upset that Eli Manning was not going to play because of a sprained elbow, ( he is supposed to come back on the season opener on september 11 ) but the Giants managed to squeak by the Jets and win their first pre season game against them since '96. (Giants 15 - Jets 14 ) Giants had 5 (!) turnovers, and still managed to win! Giant Defense only managed to force three turnovers for the Jets... :D

Tim Hasselbeck ( the QB that is taking over Eli for now ) just kept on screwing up fumbles. Thank goodness, at least he was taken out in the third quarter. :D

Thank goodness also for Jay Feely..... :D (....And the Jet's Chad Pennington! :D:D ) for giving the Giants a narrow Victory!

I can't wait till the Giants play the Patriots next week preseason game on thursday! :D

Hi, I was searching the web and I found this message board. I hope you can help a fellow football fan.

I’m looking for a sports bar in Bangkok that shows the September 19th Monday Night Football game (September 20th in Thailand). I know it’s at 8 am in the morning, but maybe some dedicated sports bar will show it? Do any of you know about such a place?

Thanks! :o

Hi, I was searching the web and I found this message board. I hope you can help a fellow football fan.

I’m looking for a sports bar in Bangkok that shows the September 19th Monday Night Football game (September 20th in Thailand). I know it’s at 8 am in the morning, but maybe some dedicated sports bar will show it? Do any of you know about such a place?

Thanks!  :o

I'm not an American Expat in Bangkok, but I'm sure there are some one or two lurking here that would know. As you can see in this forum, American Football is not too popular here on Thai visa , but I'm sure someone here can help you out!

When you find out, let me know!

:D

Giant vs. Pats pregame tonight!

It has been a wasteland as far as college football goes. ESPN usually shows some bowl games at the end of the year, but they are typically second or third tier. Forget about the big games... :D

But I'm wondering... Now that UBC has pay per view (I think they've shown or are showing Cricket) maybe, just maybe, they'll show some college football. I for one would be willing to pay for some games, depending of course on the price.

(No reason to believe that they actually will do this. Just a wild fantasy on my part.)  :D

"It has been a wasteland as far as college football goes"

Sorry, couldn't miss the chance.

As Vince Lombardi once said when asked if he watched college football, "College football is like kissing your sister. No matter how good it seems at the time, it always ends up in frustration one way or the other."

:o

Edited by IMA_FARANG

As Vince Lombardi once said when asked if he watched college football, "College football is like kissing your sister. No matter how good it seems at the time, it always ends up in frustration one way or the other."

So true! :D

I stopped watching college football even before I graduated college!

My Alma Mater team ( Rutgers Scalet Knights ) pretty much sucked most of the time I saw them play.

( BTW, With the Superdome in the condition it's in now, where are the Saints gonna play their home games now? Or will they just be a road team for all of next season? :D )

New York Giants : 27

New England Patriots: 3

New York managed to finish the pre-season 3-1, first winning summer since 2002, when they were 3 - 2! :D

.....And also Routed the defending Superbowl Champions ! :D

Ok, I know...

Patriots lost all their coordinators from last season during the summer, and most of their regular guys ( 32 players ) were not on the field - they played none of their starters ( either offesnive or defensive ). Pats Coach Bill Bellachech played their entire game with second and third string players..... :D I guess he's is saving his good guys to be rested for next week game opener.

I wonder who Bellachech is going to add to the Patriots regular season roster from preseason training team??

Tiki Barber looked good tonight, carried twice for 23 yards! :D

I saw alot of new faces on the offensive side of the Giants though... :D

Now some of the guys will be sweating while coach Tom Coughlin make his Roster spots for the season...

TJ Hollowell has nothing to worry about though...with that 3rd quarter Defensive touchdown ( good zone reaction! :D )

Jay Feely free agent kicked a nice pair of field goals (47,48 yards), while Jared Lorenzen ( Giants back up QB ) throwing that 26 yard touchdown pass to Jamar Taylor near the end of the third quarter!

Oh Well.. New England start the season against Oakland ( Raiders ) next week on the 8th.

Giants regular season opening game on the 11th with the Arizona Cardinals. Hopefully, Eli Manning will be all fixed up by then.... Not to mention having his mind hopefully not on the disaster that happened in his hometown.... :D

As for the other guys...

New York Jets : 37

Philidelphia Eagles : 14

Great Preseason New York!

Hope they do as well in the regular season ! :o:D

I'm pretty sure Bourbon Street (Washington Sq.) is open for breakfast and if so they would have the game on.

The UBC book has just arrived and it looks like they will be showing three Sunday games on Monday, and then the Monday night game on Tuesday.

I'll be attending that one. I'm flying back to New England on Tuesday night, and staying at the house of a friend in New Hampshire. This will likely be the last Patriots' game I attend, and it will cap off my Super Bowl experience, as they drop the banner for last year's championship, which I attended in Jacksonville. Great way to go out for me!

(I may need 2 containers for my shipment to Thailand. One for our furniture and clothing, and one for my Patriots memorabilia!) :o

GR

JSAT is a satellite provider. I'm still not quite sure how this works, but one of it's channels is ESPN international, which has ESPN programming out of the US, especially college games. I dunno if anyone is interested in hookking it up, but I live in an apartment so I'm not sure if my condo will allow me to get this.

But if anyone gives it a try lemme know how well it works, I just might consider moving...

I'll be attending that one. I'm flying back to New England on Tuesday night, and staying at the house of a friend in New Hampshire. This will likely be the last Patriots' game I attend, and it will cap off my Super Bowl experience, as they drop the banner for last year's championship, which I attended in Jacksonville. Great way to go out for me!

(I may need 2 containers for my shipment to Thailand. One for our furniture and clothing, and one for my Patriots memorabilia!) :o

GR

Season opener game tonight, Patriots vs. Raiders -- so far in the second quarter, New England up by three.... :D

• 3 weeks later...

Don't think there are any bars that are open that early.... you have a better chance of gettin replays on the eveing of the day it's played. (on ESPN)

I know UBC has pro games, but what if we want to watch college football? I suffered greatly last year not being able to watch any of teh regular season games, coz ESPN asia don't show any.  :o

I know the American embassy and embassy residential compounds in bangkok get direct satellite from the US, but seeing as don't know anyone who works for the embassy, it's pretty hard to get any college games. Does any one know if JSAT or any other satellite provider has US programming?

I can't stand missing another season, I would go nuts if I did  :D  , so ANY help is highly appreciated.

Oh BTW if anyone is interested in playing pick up games of flag football, I;d be more than happy to arrange gatherings providing we have enough number....  :D

college you can watch on the computer , get yourself a nice laptop and subscribe to espn .

So true! :D

I stopped watching college football even before I graduated college!

My Alma Mater team ( Rutgers Scalet Knights ) pretty much sucked most of the time I saw them play.

( BTW, With the Superdome in the condition it's in now, where are the Saints gonna play their home games now? Or will they just be a road team for all of next season? :D )

The saints are playing at the Alamo dome(San Ant) and at LSU .