American Football

ChuckZ

One interesting statistic that has no bearing at all on any games tomorrow, but I find interesting considering the never ending onslaught of AFC fans' claims that the AFC is loads better than the NFC. That may well have been true in the past, but it seems that the NFC has made some inroads in cross conference games. Through all games last week, the AFC has a slight edge of 12-11 against NFC teams. It seems there may well finally be parity between the two conferences.

It will be interesting to watch going forward.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would find it beyond interesting if the Dolphins became the only team in NFL history to have an undefeated season AND a winless season. That record would stand for ages.

So if the Dolphins can knock off the Patriots, the 1973 Dolphins will pop open the iced champagne, and the 1976 Bucs will pop open the room temperature Ripple.

Probably won't happen, though. BeliCheat knows it'll be a hard game, and he won't let the guys get lulled into a false sense of security.

AFC v NFC? We had NFC dominance for many years, then AFC dominance for many years, and now it's just Patriots and Colts dominance. Ignore those two powerhouses, and NFC/AFC looks like parity. And hey hey hey, I'm so good at stating the obvious that I should be in broadcasting.

Edited by CalicoConsulting

One interesting statistic that has no bearing at all on any games tomorrow, but I find interesting considering the never ending onslaught of AFC fans' claims that the AFC is loads better than the NFC. That may well have been true in the past, but it seems that the NFC has made some inroads in cross conference games. Through all games last week, the AFC has a slight edge of 12-11 against NFC teams. It seems there may well finally be parity between the two conferences.

Well, let's look at it going backward first, OMR. 23 interconference games so far. But what about the games in which, according to current team records, the better AFC teams played the better NFC teams - that is where both teams are currently at or above .500 overall. Here's the list, in chronological order, with the current overall records of those better teams noted after the team names:

1. HOU (3-3) 34 - CAR (4-2) 21

2. GB (5-1) 31 - SD (3-3) 24 This was the week after the Chargers were destroyed by the Pats. If these two played this week...?

3. BAL (4-2) 26 - ARI (3-3) 23

4. PIT (4-1) 21 - SEA (3-3) 0

5. IND (5-0) 33 - TB (4-2) 14

6. TB (4-2) 13 - TEN (3-2) 10

7. NE (6-0) 48 - DAL (5-1) 27

So, we have 7 of the 23 games with AFC "winners" playing NFC "winners". The AFC teams won 5 of the 7 games. Combined scores in those 7 games were AFC 196 - NFC 129.

I think it is apparent that the best of the AFC is still superior to the best of the NFC. My bet is that a similar comparison at the end of the season will yield similar results. The AFC's winning teams will hold a significant edge over the NFC's winning teams in head-to-head match ups.

I would find it beyond interesting if the Dolphins became the only team in NFL history to have an undefeated season AND a winless season. That record would stand for ages.

So if the Dolphins can knock off the Patriots, the 1973 Dolphins will pop open the iced champagne, and the 1976 Bucs will pop open the room temperature Ripple.

Probably won't happen, though. BeliCheat knows it'll be a hard game, and he won't let the guys get lulled into a false sense of security.

AFC v NFC? We had NFC dominance for many years, then AFC dominance for many years, and now it's just Patriots and Colts dominance. Ignore those two powerhouses, and NFC/AFC looks like parity. And hey hey hey, I'm so good at stating the obvious that I should be in broadcasting.

One slight correction on the Patriots, Michael. Belichick isn't the only level headed voice in that locker room. The vets who've been with him for all or most of his years there have been drinking the Kool-Aid by the gallon. They preach the same sermons, and they make ###### sure that everybody in that locker room steps up to the Kool-Aid bar! Read some interviews. It's like they're all clones. And it really is that mantra that is the foundation upon which the success of this team is built. All the cliches that you often here from some coaches and players, here and there, are the Ten Commandments by which the Patriots live:

1- Thou shalt not look beyond the next game on the schedule.

2- Thou shalt not reveal the status of thine injury.

3- Thou shalt never discuss specific team strategies or tactics, before or after a game.

4- Thou shalt not provide bulletin board material for thine opponents.

5- Thou shalt never place thine own statistics above the goal of a team victory.

6- Thou shalt never place blame for team failure upon a teammate.

7- Thou shalt never use team inuries as an excuse for a loss. (Umm ... should a loss ever again occur!)

8- Thou shall study enough to understand, and always play, situation football.

9- Thou shall believe in thine heart of hearts that defeat is always possible.

10- Thou shall believe in thine heart of hearts that defeat is never inevitable.

AMEN!

I know that's right, but I don't have nasty nicknames for anybody else. That's why I only mentioned your coach.

First NFL game I saw after 6 years in China was your Pats beating my Panthers, so I've gotta take a dig at you now and again.

Since you're a Panthers fan, Michael, I'd expect nothing but class from you.

I was in Houston for that game, Super Bowl 38. I, along with a large contingent of Patriots fans, went tehre hoping to pick up tickets on the street at a reasonable price. You see, back in 2002, many Pats fans, NOT including me, had gone to SB 36 in New Orleans, and were able to get tickets at, or near, face value on the street. After all, it wasn't goint to be much of a game, right? I mean the Rams were going to win by at least 50 points, according to most "experts"!

Well, in February of 2004, the tables were turned. The Patriots were the acknowledged favorite. Thousands of Patriots fans invaded Houston, expecting the same "bargains" that had been reported from New Orleans two years earlier. The law of supply and demand took over, and there wasn't a ticket to be found on the streets of Houston for les than $1000!

I and a friend went to a sports bar in Houston owned by a Patriots fan. It was packed, literally shoulder to shoulder, with Patriots fans. We had a great time watching the game on the big screen TVs, surrounded by screaming Patriots fans.

But, to this day, the strongest memory of that weekend in Houston remains the class of the great Carolina Panthers fans. The streets of the downtown "Super Bowl" area were packed with fans of both teams. Both before and after the game, every single Carolina fan I encountered was friendly and polite. Oh, there was plenty of good natured give and take. But absolutely no sign of a trouble making attitude.

I have been a Panthers fan ever since. I want them to do well for those great fans. They know what sports is all about! Unless they're playing my Patriots, I want the Panthers to win every game they play!!

(By the way, I put up the big bucks to get into SB 39 in Jacksonville. I did, finally, get to be in the stadium to see my Patriots win a Super Bowl! Most Eagles fans there were OK; but there were a few jerks.)

George, you must have met the sober ones. Kidding! I hope...

I was living down in Tampa when the 0-25 Bucs went to New Orleans. One more loss, and they could tie or beat (I forget which) the Viking record for futility. Those Saints fans wore the bags -- first time I'd seen them -- and had signs that said such things as "We'll score a TD today" and "You'll only beat us by 40." The Bucs won, and I still love em, but that's when I also became a Saints fan.

(And that's 3/4 of the NFC South. I'm torn every year. Good thing 2/3 of them always suck.)

The only games I've been to have been Bucs games, and for the most part they sucked, and Bandits games, and most of the time they won. Gotta love THAT rivalry.

(I could bore you to death with the stories. Spurrier was the first Bucs QB, but he lost his job when he told Coach McKay to fire WR McKay Jr, and Spurrier did the best coaching of his career for those Bandits. And the Scabaneers were all Bandits so the strike was an upgrade. And whose condo looks into whose windows?)

If I ever find my way back to North Carolina -- I left about a month before Bush took office -- I want to see the Panthers play. I was living there, home sweet home, when that franchise started. We rose to the top so fast, and then we fell down again.

Pre-Panthers, I learned to pull for teams for non-geographical reasons. Redskins because I'm part Cherokee, Steel Curtain and sequels for obvious (I hope) reasons, anybody who's playing against the Cowboys because I hate them, 49ers because that's Bill <deleted> Walsh, Bengals (huh?) because Ken Anderson was simply awesome, Patriots because they're pretty darned classy themselves. Grogan and Eason, Raymond Berry as coach. I played QB myself, and I'd like to think I had the mind of a Grogan and the body of a... um... never mind.

When we met in the Super Bowl, all commentary was in Chinese, so I just killed the sound. Did some great lipreading that TMQ published (censored). I was just thrilled that you didn't embarrass the bejesus out of us, because I did feel we were overmatched talent-wise. And if we meet in another Super Bowl this year -- it won't happen -- your team DOES have more talent. Yowsa. I'll probably cheer for you whenever you're not playing against the Panthers, then take cheap shots here at TV because it's what I do.

(I do like the Colts, however, because they've got Dungy and because Manning calls his own plays, same as I did. It's a lost art. I love those stinkbombs in Buffalo because Jim Kelly did the same.)

But hey hey hey, the Panthers have a former Patriot. Vinny, who I hated in Tampa (they cut Steve Young for this guy) but loved after he left, has a cannon strapped to his shoulder that oughta scare the caca out of anybody. Afraid I don't see a Super Bowl contender in Carolina this time around, but they should be a whole lotta fun to watch.

Just like watching the Dolphins beat the Patroits... kidding again! Well, maybe. If they bring back Dan Marino and Ricky Williams... nah, they'd still suck. Sorry, Cam.

My first game I actually WAS THERE was back in 1988 Eagles at Cowboys and that was such an experience, got me hooked since then.

LOVE THE GAME!

Which team did you pull for? Whenever the Iggles came to town, every supermarket in Dallas pulled the Philadelphia Cream Cheese off the shelves.

I became an Iggle fan. by the way, in the days of Randall Cunningham. An awesome talent. As for Dallas, I've needed much more time to warm up to them, because I've never forgiven Schramm and Landry for being such buttholes. Never!

Which team did you pull for? Whenever the Iggles came to town, every supermarket in Dallas pulled the Philadelphia Cream Cheese off the shelves.

I became an Iggle fan. by the way, in the days of Randall Cunningham. An awesome talent. As for Dallas, I've needed much more time to warm up to them, because I've never forgiven Schramm and Landry for being such buttholes. Never!

:D Haha. I FLY HIGH baby -- Iggle beats Cows! by 20 something .. It's been YEARS .. 18-19 years. I don't quite remember much details but it was AWESOME! Back then I was no one fan, still learning the game and everything but now now now .. know too much and become like one of those who say 'pls shut up while I watch the game yall'

Hmmm I'm greedy and have a few teams hold in my heart. I don't wanna yell out now but time will reveal!! :o

Edited by legag

George, you must have met the sober ones. Kidding! I hope...

I was living down in Tampa when the 0-25 Bucs went to New Orleans. One more loss, and they could tie or beat (I forget which) the Viking record for futility. Those Saints fans wore the bags -- first time I'd seen them -- and had signs that said such things as "We'll score a TD today" and "You'll only beat us by 40." The Bucs won, and I still love em, but that's when I also became a Saints fan.

(And that's 3/4 of the NFC South. I'm torn every year. Good thing 2/3 of them always suck.)

The only games I've been to have been Bucs games, and for the most part they sucked, and Bandits games, and most of the time they won. Gotta love THAT rivalry.

(I could bore you to death with the stories. Spurrier was the first Bucs QB, but he lost his job when he told Coach McKay to fire WR McKay Jr, and Spurrier did the best coaching of his career for those Bandits. And the Scabaneers were all Bandits so the strike was an upgrade. And whose condo looks into whose windows?)

If I ever find my way back to North Carolina -- I left about a month before Bush took office -- I want to see the Panthers play. I was living there, home sweet home, when that franchise started. We rose to the top so fast, and then we fell down again.

Pre-Panthers, I learned to pull for teams for non-geographical reasons. Redskins because I'm part Cherokee, Steel Curtain and sequels for obvious (I hope) reasons, anybody who's playing against the Cowboys because I hate them, 49ers because that's Bill <deleted> Walsh, Bengals (huh?) because Ken Anderson was simply awesome, Patriots because they're pretty darned classy themselves. Grogan and Eason, Raymond Berry as coach. I played QB myself, and I'd like to think I had the mind of a Grogan and the body of a... um... never mind.

When we met in the Super Bowl, all commentary was in Chinese, so I just killed the sound. Did some great lipreading that TMQ published (censored). I was just thrilled that you didn't embarrass the bejesus out of us, because I did feel we were overmatched talent-wise. And if we meet in another Super Bowl this year -- it won't happen -- your team DOES have more talent. Yowsa. I'll probably cheer for you whenever you're not playing against the Panthers, then take cheap shots here at TV because it's what I do.

(I do like the Colts, however, because they've got Dungy and because Manning calls his own plays, same as I did. It's a lost art. I love those stinkbombs in Buffalo because Jim Kelly did the same.)

But hey hey hey, the Panthers have a former Patriot. Vinny, who I hated in Tampa (they cut Steve Young for this guy) but loved after he left, has a cannon strapped to his shoulder that oughta scare the caca out of anybody. Afraid I don't see a Super Bowl contender in Carolina this time around, but they should be a whole lotta fun to watch.

Just like watching the Dolphins beat the Patroits... kidding again! Well, maybe. If they bring back Dan Marino and Ricky Williams... nah, they'd still suck. Sorry, Cam.

Oh, Michael, don't get me started on the Colts! Polian and Dungy are the biggest whiners in the NFL! They both cried pitifully to get the rules changed, or have "special emphasis" put on defensive holding and "illegal contact", when the Patriots played their receivers physically. Now they're whining about Holding penalties not being called when their OL is guilty of more (uncalled) Holding than any team in the league. They are hypocritical to a disgusting degree. Do you know that they actually amplified the crowd noise in the dome when the Patriots played there last season? FACT. That's a hel_l of a lot more of a "competitive advantage" than video taping signals that are visible to the other team by other means! It, too, is illegal. But the Colts weren't penalized for it. Nor did Belichick complain to the league about it.

And on the field, Manning picks up the same behavior. My nickname for him is "Pouting Peyton". I have never, in all of the 50+ years that I've been watching the NFL, seen any player cry more on the field than Peyton Manning. Play the <deleted>' game, and shut up, Manning!

And, by the way, he does NOT "call his own plays". He is given an option of 3 plays by his OC, either 1 pass and 2 runs, or vice versa, depending upon the situation. He decides which to call when he sees the defense. And, like all good QBs, including Brady, he has some set signals with his WRs to check off for blitzes. He and Brady, as well as a few other good, experienced, QBs, operate pretty much the same way. He just goes through more histrionics than anybody else! Manning has tremendous physical and mental talent for the game. And, off the field, he's a decent guy. But his on field behavior is juvenile.

Oh, by the way, I don't like the Colts. ;-

As for the Bucs, I can tell you that I felt terrible when John McKay failed to create a winner there. For reasons I can't explain, I have always been a big USC fan, despite being born and raised in Boston. (Maybe it was the white horse.) :-) Since I'm also (much like you)a natural smart ass, I was a big John McKay fan. I loved his wit. When he went to TB, I was sure he'd be a big success. I still don't know what the heck went wrong there!

Well, let's look at it going backward first, OMR. 23 interconference games so far. But what about the games in which, according to current team records, the better AFC teams played the better NFC teams - that is where both teams are currently at or above .500 overall. Here's the list, in chronological order, with the current overall records of those better teams noted after the team names:

1. HOU (3-3) 34 - CAR (4-2) 21

2. GB (5-1) 31 - SD (3-3) 24 This was the week after the Chargers were destroyed by the Pats. If these two played this week...?

3. BAL (4-2) 26 - ARI (3-3) 23

4. PIT (4-1) 21 - SEA (3-3) 0

5. IND (5-0) 33 - TB (4-2) 14

6. TB (4-2) 13 - TEN (3-2) 10

7. NE (6-0) 48 - DAL (5-1) 27

So, we have 7 of the 23 games with AFC "winners" playing NFC "winners". The AFC teams won 5 of the 7 games. Combined scores in those 7 games were AFC 196 - NFC 129.

I think it is apparent that the best of the AFC is still superior to the best of the NFC. My bet is that a similar comparison at the end of the season will yield similar results. The AFC's winning teams will hold a significant edge over the NFC's winning teams in head-to-head match ups.

What???

You are over-analyzing this (and why pick out these games anyway?). You have Pit beating Sea, but you don't have Arizona beating Pit. We can go around and around and around on this and even throw in more variables (how about the weather at game times?), but at the end of the day, they have played 23 games and the AFC has won 12 and the NFC has won 11. This includes the games won by Indianapolis and New England.

I think Michael hit it on the head. The Colts and the Pats are the best and the rest are about at parity.

And you're right again, Mack! :o

Yes, the Cowboys had 12 penalties, for 98 yards.

The Patriots had only 54, for 50 yards.

Those 49 yards are what made the difference in the game.

So basically, if a team is on their own 2 yard line and they have a 98 yard TD called back for a holding penalty that had nothing to do with the outcome of the play, you would say that since the penalty was only one yard that it wasn't important, correct?

Obviously, the example above didn't happen in this game, but it shows the danger in quoting the impact of penalties on a game by using just what is printed in newspapers.

I'm wondering if American football is shown much on TV there? Is it broadcat on regular TV? Cable TV? Avaiable on satelite? I would like to be able to watch it from my apt.

And another question. How expensive is cable tv or a satelite?

Thanks,

Chuck

I didn't go through all 676 postings on this subject to see if TRUE-UBC coverage has been covered already.  Anyway, did find the replys, which are better than nothing.  

Here they be, Channel 64:

22 Oct 1900 & 2230

24 Wed 1200

25 Thur 1200

27 Sat 0700 & 1600

28 Sun 0700 & 1600

29 Mon 1900 & 2130

31 Wed 1200

Watched the Tennennsee vs Houston game last night with the 4th 1/4 a real spinetingler!!  

Mac

When I wrote to True about the NFL, they told me that I could visit http://www.truevisionstv.com/index.aspx and search for National Football. What I noticed about their screen shot is that they type in all caps, which wouldn't have occurred to me. It's the only way their search function works.

I also searched for NFL so I could find the NFL Game Day listings.

Also, for whatever reason, the CNBC game at 6pm every Sunday didn't show up in my searching. Followed by NFL Game Day and then Leno, so they've got me watching.

So, we're not getting any live games, but we do get a pretty good slate of reruns during waking hours. Works for me.

When I wrote to True about the NFL, they told me that I could visit http://www.truevisionstv.com/index.aspx and search for National Football. What I noticed about their screen shot is that they type in all caps, which wouldn't have occurred to me. It's the only way their search function works.

Also, for whatever reason, the CNBC game at 6pm every Sunday didn't show up in my searching. Followed by NFL Game Day and then Leno, so they've got me watching.

So, we're not getting any live games, but we do get a pretty good slate of reruns during waking hours. Works for me.

Yeah, but "problem" with the reruns is that they cut out all the breaks so no time to dash in for another Singha or take a leak!!  Oh, well, better than nothin' and, as you say, during wakey time.

Mac

Michael, thanks for the info on using all caps, as this also hadn't occurred to me. It helps for NFL, but I am not sure of what to type in for NCAA football. For sure, "COLLEGE FOOTBALL" doesn't work. I fear I will have to type in various conferences to get the search function to work as they show different conferences each week and never at the same time. Oh well, so it goes.

don't forget.!!!

Miami Dolphins and New york Giants

Sunday 28 at Wembley Stadium.

and it will be show on sky sports.

i'm not a big fan but i can't wait to watch the game anyway.

the problem is i try so hard to understand the rules! :o

but i'm getting there! :D enjoy the game everyone. :D

Jason Campbell's spiral is much tighter and prettier than Tom Brady's, and Joe Gibbs has some Super Bowl rings. Ooh, this could be the one to knock off the Patriots.

And then Vinnie and the Panthers will obliterate the Colts, so there will be no undefeated teams meeting. And I'll laugh like an expat full of beer. Hahahahahaha!

(Um, maybe I've already raided my beer stash...)

Jason Campbell's spiral is much tighter and prettier than Tom Brady's, and Joe Gibbs has some Super Bowl rings. Ooh, this could be the one to knock off the Patriots.

And then Vinnie and the Panthers will obliterate the Colts, so there will be no undefeated teams meeting. And I'll laugh like an expat full of beer. Hahahahahaha!

(Um, maybe I've already raided my beer stash...)

Well, neither upset would be a major shocker. I do think either is unlikely, however. Both the Panthers and Redskins lack the offensive punch to score enough against the Colts and Patriots. The underdogs are both good defensive teams, so I don't expect walkovers for either team.

I think the Colts may have a little tougher time, if only because they're in an enemy stadium, playing on grass. But I believe we'll be seeing that "Battle of the Unbeatens" next Monday morning!

The games we'll get 'live' on TrueVision's TS 4 this weekend are:

Monday 00:00

NY Giants @ Miami Dolphins

Monday 03:15

Washington Redskins @ New England Patriots

Tomorrow, also on TS 4, you can catch 'NFL Gameday', the highlights of last week's games, at 15:30 or 22:30.

Patriots fans universally hate the Indianapolis Colts. Is it because of the talent they put on the field? No. It's because of the total lack of class of their whining, arrogant management - GM Bill Polian, and Head Coach Tony Dungy. Take a look at the latest outrageous "whine" from them; and read a little history of their behind the scenes behavior. You tell me; what kind of "sportsmen" are they?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indy being Indy

Indianapolis general manager Bill Polian and the Colts are complaining, again. This time, it’s about a schedule that has them playing a road game this Sunday at Carolina on a short week following a road Monday night game in Jacksonville. After the Panthers, of course, the Colts return home for Armageddon Day against the Patriots on Nov. 4.

Research conducted by the Indianapolis Star showed that over the past decade, 24 teams have played road games on a short week following a road Monday night game. Those teams are 12-12 in the second game and have lost seven of the past 10. The Colts are further chafed because the Panthers are coming off a bye. The Star pointed out that that scenario has presented itself just three times since 1997.

Coach Tony Dungy said the team lodged a complaint with the league. Shocker!

“It’s harder, it definitely is,” said Dungy.

Of course, fans in New England are well aware of this routine by now. They’ve seen Polian go to the league over injury timeouts (Willie McGinest in 2003), illegal contact in the secondary (2003 AFC title game) and poor field conditions (divisional round in 2004). Just add another log to the fire.

Meanwhile, the Patriots [team stats] are no stranger to the above schedule quirk. The Pats were asked to do it in 2004, playing Monday night at Miami on Dec. 20 (a 29-28 loss) and then traveling to the division rival Jets six days later (a 23-7 win).

The Pats had a similar case last year where the schedule had them on the road for a Monday night game on Oct. 30 (a blowout win at Minnesota) and then returning home to face the toughest team on their schedule six days later, the Colts. The Colts ran over the Pats in that game, 27-20.

If the Patriots publicly complained about any of those instances, there’s no record of it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All together now, let's yell out the "signature" Colts cheer: WAAAAAA! WAAAAAA! WAAAAAA!

I'm trying again to get TrueVisions to change the schedule on their website to correctly reflect the broadcast time of the second Sunday afternoon game on Nov 4. Daylight Saving Time ENDS that Sunday morning at 2:00 AM in the USA. So the Monday morning live broadcast here will begin at 4:15 AM, not 3:15 AM, as they show it. I sent them this note, hoping to avoid some screw up that causes them to lose the game. .................................

Gentlemen:

Please be advised that the schedule shown on your website for the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE game between the New England Patriots and the Indianapolis Colts on Monday morning, November 5, is incorrect. It is shown as a start time of 03:15. In fact, it will begin at 04:15, due to the fact that the USA will turn back the clocks by one hour at 02:00, their time, as they end "Daylight Saving Time".

Please correct your schedule to reflect this change, so that your customers will have the correct information. I also want to ensure that you have this information, so that you are not looking for the broadcast at 03:15. It will not begin until 04:15, Thailand time.

Here is a note from the website in the USA which explains this.

Date change in 2007

On August 8, 2005, President George W. Bush signed the Energy Policy Act of 2005. This Act changed the time change dates for Daylight Saving Time in the U.S. Beginning in 2007, DST will begin on the second Sunday in March and end the first Sunday in November. The Secretary of Energy will report the impact of this change to Congress. Congress retains the right to resume the 2005 Daylight Saving Time schedule once the Department of Energy study is complete.

Again, when Daylight Saving Time ENDS, the USA will turn clocks BACK by one hour. This will change the difference between Thailand time, and USA Eastern Time from +11 hours in Thailand, to +12 hours. The game beginning at 4:15 PM on Sunday, November 4, in the USA, will begin at 4:15 AM on Monday, November 5, here in Thailand.

George

"I don't have a whole lot of what-ifs. We won three Super Bowls," (Tom Brady)

Patriots fans universally hate the Indianapolis Colts. Is it because of the talent they put on the field? No. It's because of the total lack of class of their whining, arrogant management - GM Bill Polian, and Head Coach Tony Dungy. Take a look at the latest outrageous "whine" from them; and read a little history of their behind the scenes behavior. You tell me; what kind of "sportsmen" are they?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indy being Indy

Indianapolis general manager Bill Polian and the Colts are complaining, again. This time, it’s about a schedule that has them playing a road game this Sunday at Carolina on a short week following a road Monday night game in Jacksonville. After the Panthers, of course, the Colts return home for Armageddon Day against the Patriots on Nov. 4.

Research conducted by the Indianapolis Star showed that over the past decade, 24 teams have played road games on a short week following a road Monday night game. Those teams are 12-12 in the second game and have lost seven of the past 10. The Colts are further chafed because the Panthers are coming off a bye. The Star pointed out that that scenario has presented itself just three times since 1997.

Coach Tony Dungy said the team lodged a complaint with the league. Shocker!

“It’s harder, it definitely is,” said Dungy.

Of course, fans in New England are well aware of this routine by now. They’ve seen Polian go to the league over injury timeouts (Willie McGinest in 2003), illegal contact in the secondary (2003 AFC title game) and poor field conditions (divisional round in 2004). Just add another log to the fire.

Meanwhile, the Patriots [team stats] are no stranger to the above schedule quirk. The Pats were asked to do it in 2004, playing Monday night at Miami on Dec. 20 (a 29-28 loss) and then traveling to the division rival Jets six days later (a 23-7 win).

The Pats had a similar case last year where the schedule had them on the road for a Monday night game on Oct. 30 (a blowout win at Minnesota) and then returning home to face the toughest team on their schedule six days later, the Colts. The Colts ran over the Pats in that game, 27-20.

If the Patriots publicly complained about any of those instances, there’s no record of it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All together now, let's yell out the "signature" Colts cheer: WAAAAAA! WAAAAAA! WAAAAAA!

They may whine, but they don't cheat! :o