American Football

ChuckZ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about this Travis Henry? 9 kids with 9 different women, busted............

A friend says in the new C. Rock standup he mentions Sara Palin getting accolades for shooting a moose, "and Michael Vick is in jail for what?"

As for the line about Palin and Vick, the obvious answer is that hunting is legal, and sponsoring dog fights is not.

without putting all under a microscope, there is just a bit of irony there

i just checked the ubc schedule for espn monday night football . It is not listed ? <deleted> . Also they dont have any late games NBC sunday night football. I just got back to thailand a few days ago. NFL football is the only reason I carry ubc tv. I watch more sophon cable more then ubc for regular viewing. I just might drop UBC and just buy nfl game pass.

i just checked the ubc schedule for espn monday night football . It is not listed ? <deleted> . Also they dont have any late games NBC sunday night football. I just got back to thailand a few days ago. NFL football is the only reason I carry ubc tv. I watch more sophon cable more then ubc for regular viewing. I just might drop UBC and just buy nfl game pass.

Sumo, that is correct. Truevisions does not broadcast the Sunday night, or Monday night games this season. They show only the "national games" from Sunday afternoon, which they broadcast "live" at midnight and 03:15, then replay a couple of times.

May I suggest that, if you do decide to drop Truevisions, you write to them to tell them specifically that you are doing so because of their failure to provide 4 'live' games, as they have in the previous few years. I have NFL Game Pass, so it's of no consequence to me. But am sympathetic to the many NFL fans here who can't access NFL Game Pass, whether due to poor internet speeds, or lack of funds. The more pressure that is put on Truevisions, the better the chance that they may spend the $$ to contract with a network that carries those night games, as they did with "GOAL TV" last season.

what early games are people watching?

I'll have the Seahawks - Giants game on TV, with the sound off; and the Chargers - Dolphins game on the NFL Game Pass on the PC, with sound. I may switch off to some of the Titans - Ravens game, or whateve looks exciting, on NFL Game Pass.

Of course, it will be ALL Patriots for the second game!

I'll have the Seahawks - Giants game on TV, with the sound off; and the Chargers - Dolphins game on the NFL Game Pass on the PC, with sound. I may switch off to some of the Titans - Ravens game, or whateve looks exciting, on NFL Game Pass.

giants are rolling bigtime . . what happened to the seahawks?

Edited by qwunk89

That is impressive. I checked to see what I would get on Speakeasy, but didn't when I saw they only use servers from the US. I don't know much about this, but the guys at TOT told me not to test my speed using servers outside of Thailand. When Speedtest does work for you, please try it with the Bangkok server and let me know if it shows that you still get the speeds Speakeasy is showing. The difference of THB 500 per month really isn't a whole lot to buy the 2mb service from TOT, but I hate to just up the ante without having some indication that it will do the trick for me.

I very much appreciate your help.

OMR

As an addendum to the above, I just checked (11:15PM) my speeds using the Seattle server on Speakeasy and the Bangkok server on Speedtest. Interestingly, my download speed on Speakeasy was 717 kbps and on Speedtest was 970 kbps (the highest it ever has been). On the upload side, on Speakeasy it was 67kbps and on Speedtest it was 115kbps.

Immediately after, I did the Game Pass test and it was 84 kbps and was termed "insufficient." I don't think I will ever understand this.

I'm right with you, OMR, on being unable to understand the specific workings of these signals. I am a long, long way from being an expert in the technical aspects of the cyber world. After all, I'm one of those guys who grew up with adding machines with the pull lever on the side! :-)

All I can tell you is that my particular service (C.A.T.) did come up with "insufficient" for NFL Game Pass on two tests last year; but tested OK with their new equipment this year; and has run without "serious" interruption, or "extended" periods of poor quality video, through the first 4 weeks of the season.

Just as an example, I have had C.A.T. service go out, or run at extremely low speeds, several times over the past few months. With the exception of only two cases, when I have called them to complain, the service has come back to normal within 15-20 minutes. Now, at the risk of being some combination of cynical and paranoid, that makes me wonder if they either don't pay attention to problems, as they arise; or if they are intentionally "shifting signal power", in some way, to other areas, until they get complaints. There's probably a good demonstration of my technical ignorance in there, since I have no idea whether that would even be possible. But it does seem odd that phone calls help restore service most of the time.

(This just happened this morning, by the way. I had NO SIGNAL when I tried to sign on at 8:30. I called the Tech Service. 15 Minutes later, I had full service on. ... I just now got a call back from the technician. His English is very minimal. They nearly always do call back to follow up, by the way. After confirming that my service was back, I asked him if he could explain to me what he did. He said that he "reset" (something) to restore the signal. Again, his English was too poor, and my Thai non-existent, so I couldn't get more specific information than that. But, clearly, something in the system does go "off" at times, and human intervention is required to reset it. That still doesn't disprove my suspicion that there may be intentional "re-routing" of signal strength, somehow. Any and all truly informed opinion, and/or technical facts, on this idea would be most welcomed.)

Let me put it this way, I also grew up with adding machines where you pulled the lever. Hence, I am with you on this. My fixed line to the house is TOT, so from what I understand I have to use TOT and can't use CAT nor True. One good thing about TOT is that they do have people who speak more than passable English, but so far this hasn't helped me get Game Pass.

giants are rolling bigtime . . what happened to the seahawks?

What happened to the Giants? Last year at this time they could be had, but now, despite Strahan's retirement and Osi's injury, they are unbeatable.

My fixed line to the house is TOT, so from what I understand I have to use TOT and can't use CAT nor True. One good thing about TOT is that they do have people who speak more than passable English, but so far this hasn't helped me get Game Pass.

You can get DSL service from other ISPs on your TOT line.

One of my three (3) DSL lines is CSLoxInfo over a TOT fixed line (the others being TOT DSL over a TOT fixed line and True over a True fixed line). The CSLoxInfo service is by far the most reliable and robust. Zero downtime, no service outages in 3+ years. Pretty decent pricing as well:

http://www.adsl.csloxinfo.com/consumer.html

I believe there are other ISP's available on TOT lines.

Agree the Giants look impressive, Eli Manning is a great QB. Re: my Pats, all I can say is thank goodness the 49ers suck.

Edited by lomatopo

Does anyone know why TrueSport doesn't broadcast Monday Night Football games?

Yes. As with most things is life, the answer is ... MONEY.

Last season, ESPN-Asia, which is where True used to get those MNF games, stopped carrying the NFL. I assume that was because ESPN-USA was charging more than they would pay for it.

After a few weeks, True managed to contract with a network called 'GOAL TV' to get the MNF games from them.

This year, it appears that True was not willing to pay whatever 'GOAL TV' wanted for the games. In fairness, I don't know that for a fact. It could be that 'GOAL TV' doesn't have the games this year either.

In any case, the actual source of the problem is ESPN-Asia. Their broadcast was the original source of MNF for Truevisions, which continues to carry all programming provided by ESPN-Asia. Unfortunately for all NFL fans in Asia, that network no longer carries the NFL games. (I sent an email to ESPN about this last year, and did not receive any reply.)

Not in Thailand right now but,

I am a Mizzou fan, so college football gets it done for me.

I hate having to keep up going over the Internet though. A live broadcast online for free would be great.

One of my past mentor's was from Nebraska so finally after 30 years we took it to them in their own house last weekend.

Oh I might add my current boss (one of them) while Asian is an Alabama Alum and a promoter of American football.

Edited by BigA

My fixed line to the house is TOT, so from what I understand I have to use TOT and can't use CAT nor True. One good thing about TOT is that they do have people who speak more than passable English, but so far this hasn't helped me get Game Pass.

You can get DSL service from other ISPs on your TOT line.

One of my three (3) DSL lines is CSLoxInfo over a TOT fixed line (the others being TOT DSL over a TOT fixed line and True over a True fixed line). The CSLoxInfo service is by far the most reliable and robust. Zero downtime, no service outages in 3+ years. Pretty decent pricing as well:

http://www.adsl.csloxinfo.com/consumer.html

I believe there are other ISP's available on TOT lines.

Agree the Giants look impressive, Eli Manning is a great QB. Re: my Pats, all I can say is thank goodness the 49ers suck.

Thanks for this info.

I thought the Pats played a decent game on Sunday. Actually, Cassel was a lot better than I thought. Also, the Chargers don't seem to have it this year and apart from the Broncos, your schedule isn't all that tough (easier than last year). You might find yourself with a lot to root for in December.

Week 6

TrueSport 4

NFL 2008/2009

011: BALTIMORE RAVENS @ INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (13-OCT-2008)

13-Oct-2008 00:00

012: GREEN BAY PACKERS @ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS (13-OCT-2008)

13-Oct-2008 03:15

13-Oct-2008 15:30

13-Oct-2008 18:30

14-Oct-2008 08:00

14-Oct-2008 11:00

17-Oct-2008 01:30

NFL GAME DAY 2008

12-Oct-2008 00:30

12-Oct-2008 10:30

17-Oct-2008 21:00

Week 6

TrueSport 4

NFL 2008/2009

13-Oct-2008 00:00

13-Oct-2008 03:15

13-Oct-2008 15:30

13-Oct-2008 18:30

14-Oct-2008 08:00

14-Oct-2008 11:00

17-Oct-2008 01:30

NFL GAME DAY 2008

12-Oct-2008 00:30

12-Oct-2008 10:30

17-Oct-2008 21:00

Thanks for this.

do any of you guys think that maybe espn will start showing monday night football as soon as the baseball season is over?

I doubt that will happen, Sumo. It didn't happen last year. It appears that ESPN-Asia has dropped the NFL from it's programming. I suspect that it is a financial decision. The NFL, or ESPN-USA, must be charging so much for the rights that ESPN-Asia refuses to pay.

As I said, earlier, Truevisions picked up the games last year from 'GOAL TV', another network, based in Hong Kong. This year, they are not doing so. Perhaps GOAL TV has also dropped those games. I don't know. But it looks like there will be no broadcast of Sunday or Monday night games this season, at least.

Written by Patrick Frater

Friday, 07 September 2007

Story Categories: Finance, Hong Kong, Internet, Malaysia, Sports rights, TV,

HONG KONG – American football is to get a bigger kick in Asia. The National Football League has signed a major TV deal with Hong Kong-based Yes TV.

Deal covers simulcast rights in all media across the region, which has traditionally been a distribution weak spot for the gridiron game. Yes TV, which is headed by former Morgan Stanley executive director Thomas Kressner, specializes in sports content aggregation and production of sports channels.

Deal may allow American football to piggyback on the massive popularity of soccer in the region. With Astro, the Malaysian pay-TV giant, Yes jointly owns Goal TV which claims to be Asia's only 24-hour soccer network.

Other carriage deals and distribution partners on terrestrial, pay-TV, broadband and mobile platforms are now being finalized by Yes TV and will be announced in coming weeks. Deal covers all of Asia, including the Indian sub-continent, but excludes Japan and Australia/New Zealand.

"The National Football League is one of the most successful sports leagues in the world," Yes TV CEO Kressner, said. "We have a track record in building significant viewership for European soccer leagues across Asia, and are now very pleased to have the chance to do the same for the NFL.”

Yes TV provides exclusive coverage in Asia of the French, Dutch and Scottish premier soccer leagues, plus programs and matches from leading English soccer clubs Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Spain's FC Barcelona.

http://www.varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/2058/

hey patsfarang,

you watching the pats game? i was just gonna post on how sammy morris just ran over cromartie . . but as i was writing i saw the four plays that followed. horrible goaline offense, should kicked a field goal with so much time left in the game . . but i know how belicheck plays it

ouch, watson was wide but cassell never looked to his side of the field.

double ouch, san diego goes deep . . sorry i meant to only post about morris steamrolling cromartie; momentum changes in a hurry

Edited by qwunk89

It pains me to say this, but, in terms of any realistic hope for making the Playoffs, the season is over the Patriots.

After watching Matt Cassel for 4 starts, and nearly 5 full games, I am now convinced that he simply is not an NFL caliber QB. He hasn't got a clue of what is going on around him in the pocket; or what is happening downfield any time that his first option isn't there. The performance against the Chargers was one of the worst I've ever seen by any NFL QB.

His ineptness in running the offense leaves the D on the field too long. And the D, for it's part, is far from strong enough to carry the team this year. They are doing a terrible job of getting pressure on opposing QBs; and the secondary is more vulnerable to the deep ball than I have ever seen a Belichick coached team in the past.

Yeah, yeah. I know that they're 3-2. But the fact is that other teams needed a couple of games to see what Matt Cassel does on the field. Now that they know, all reasonably good opposing defenses will snuff him like pack of wolves on a sheep. And it's not possible for them to come up with an overpowering running game. Their OL isn't built for it; and they don't have a RB to make it work. (Laurence Maroney is a BUST, who runs with no heart, and can't stay healthy. Sammy Morris is no more than a decent backup.) I really would not be surprised if they don't win another game all year; and I don't believe they'll win more than 2 or 3 more.

So, I'm ready to throw in that towel with "Wait 'Til Next Year" embroidered on it. The 2008 season is over for my Patriots. I hope they'll get a few starts in for their rookie QB, Kevin O'Connell. Giving him some playing experience is about the only positive outcome they can hope to achieve now.

After watching Matt Cassel for 4 starts, and nearly 5 full games, I am now convinced that he simply is not an NFL caliber QB. He hasn't got a clue of what is going on around him in the pocket; or what is happening downfield any time that his first option isn't there. The performance against the Chargers was one of the worst I've ever seen by any NFL QB.

Hey, you obviously haven't been catching JaMarcus Russell of the Raiders too much. Last night in the Raiders 34-3 loss to the Saints, Saints QB Drew Brees threw like 15 or 16 consecutive completions before making his first incomplete pass well well into the game. He ended up completing 26 of 30 overall. It was pretty amazing to watch as he totally demolished the Raiders defense.

By contrast, Russell couldn't complete a pass if his life depended on it, and if he wasn't throwing incompletions, he was fumbling or being intercepted. I know he's basically a rookie, but it was sad to watch for a team that carries the legacy of Daryl Lamonica, Kenny Stabler and Jim Plunket.

Basically, the Raiders can't seem to score a TD if their life depended on it. As the SF Chronicle reported this morning re the Saints game... "The Raiders failed to score a first-half touchdown for the fourth time in five games."

It pains me to say this, but, in terms of any realistic hope for making the Playoffs, the season is over the Patriots.

AGHHHH! Even having a QB that knows what he is doing didn't guarantee anything for the Cowboys. Romo had a strong game (320 yds passing, 3 TD's. No ints., and a 113 QB rating), but 14 out of the Cards 30 points came from a kickoff return and blocked punt. Aghhhh. This is one time I am happy I don't have Game Pass.

His ineptness in running the offense leaves the D on the field too long. And the D, for it's part, is far from strong enough to carry the team this year. They are doing a terrible job of getting pressure on opposing QBs; and the secondary is more vulnerable to the deep ball than I have ever seen a Belichick coached team in the past.

Yeah, yeah. I know that they're 3-2. But the fact is that other teams needed a couple of games to see what Matt Cassel does on the field. Now that they know, all reasonably good opposing defenses will snuff him like pack of wolves on a sheep. And it's not possible for them to come up with an overpowering running game. Their OL isn't built for it; and they don't have a RB to make it work. (Laurence Maroney is a BUST, who runs with no heart, and can't stay healthy. Sammy Morris is no more than a decent backup.) I really would not be surprised if they don't win another game all year; and I don't believe they'll win more than 2 or 3 more.

So, I'm ready to throw in that towel with "Wait 'Til Next Year" embroidered on it. The 2008 season is over for my Patriots. I hope they'll get a few starts in for their rookie QB, Kevin O'Connell. Giving him some playing experience is about the only positive outcome they can hope to achieve now.

don't bail on the season yet patsfangr, i'm sure belichek will figure something out to stay competitive . . although he should have a more capable #2 behind brady. but, then again, when was the last time brady was hurt - besides his "phanton-probable-weekly appearance on the injury report thing"?

who knows, cassell may suprise you as the season rolls on . . or maybe even the rookie

Edited by qwunk89

AGHHHH! Even having a QB that knows what he is doing didn't guarantee anything for the Cowboys. Romo had a strong game (320 yds passing, 3 TD's. No ints., and a 113 QB rating), but 14 out of the Cards 30 points came from a kickoff return and blocked punt. Aghhhh. This is one time I am happy I don't have Game Pass.

sorry OMR, your pain was my bliss this weekend. after the last two sundays, the blocked punt in overtime was the icing on a long, sweet night of football. once it went to OT, i was sure the boys were going to win . . great block by sean morey a good special teams player for years and years

let's go browns!