American Football

ChuckZ

Patsfangr, I see your new avatar reflects the kind of season the Pats will have this year.

Nah, for that it would have to be a sabre toothed tiger! :D

Actually, the avatar is a photo tribute to a soi cat that we more or less adopted when we moved in 3 years ago. My wife began feeding him, and, of course, he returned regularly until, eventually, he lived inside the walls for most of the day and evening.

Two months ago, he was attacked by a local dog. We took him to the vet; but he died two days later. :o

He was, without a doubt, the sweetest cat I've ever known. He loved everybody. He'd run up to people, and flop over on his back, often with a somersault, awaiting a scratch. He always ran up to greet me when I drove in from shopping or whatever. I really miss the little guy.

(Yeah. I'm a sap for animals.) :D

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patsfangr, I see your new avatar reflects the kind of season the Pats will have this year.

Nah, for that it would have to be a sabre toothed tiger! :D

Actually, the avatar is a photo tribute to a soi cat that we more or less adopted when we moved in 3 years ago. My wife began feeding him, and, of course, he returned regularly until, eventually, he lived inside the walls for most of the day and evening.

Two months ago, he was attacked by a local dog. We took him to the vet; but he died two days later. :o

He was, without a doubt, the sweetest cat I've ever known. He loved everybody. He'd run up to people, and flop over on his back, often with a somersault, awaiting a scratch. He always ran up to greet me when I drove in from shopping or whatever. I really miss the little guy.

(Yeah. I'm a sap for animals.) :D

I'm a sap for animals as well. We have dogs. I hate Michael Vick.

This season I am nowhere near as confident about the Cowboys. They might not win a game and they might win them all, I don't have a clue. I do think they will miss T.O. big time and agree with Aikman's comments on the Roy Williams trade. He better produce or it will have been a horrible trade. Now, they have no picks in the first round.

Nah, for that it would have to be a sabre toothed tiger! :o

This season I am nowhere near as confident about the Cowboys. They might not win a game and they might win them all, I don't have a clue. I do think they will miss T.O. big time and agree with Aikman's comments on the Roy Williams trade. He better produce or it will have been a horrible trade. Now, they have no picks in the first round.

OMR, didn't I read somewhere that the Cowboys are super high on some second year receiver they have?

Also, there are some pretty great receivers hanging in FA out there, how about Marvin Harrison, yeah, he's old and all but one hel_l of a WR........

Nah, for that it would have to be a sabre toothed tiger! :o

OMR, didn't I read somewhere that the Cowboys are super high on some second year receiver they have?

Also, there are some pretty great receivers hanging in FA out there, how about Marvin Harrison, yeah, he's old and all but one hel_l of a WR........

I think the WR you are referring to is Miles Austin, who I mentioned as a threat on this thread last year. Austin played college ball at Monmouth (NJ) and was hurt last year, requiring ankle surgery. While a burner with very good hands (he was a QB in college), he has a lot to learn and it is hard to count on him for an entire season. Sam Hurd resigned for a year, they like him a lot, but again he is raw.

The Cowboys will "buy" someone, but they will want more than one year out of him. I get the feeling that they will go for someone younger than Harrison (he will be 37 next season). They have so few draft picks (the Williams acquisition) that they will have to go into the free agency market and just see if someone else comes available.

In case you weren't aware of it, and would like to get some "live" coverage of the Draft, here's the information on the plans for NFL.com to provide a live internet stream of it. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/live/landing...=email_LIVE0423

Great news for me, since I've been a Draftnik for years. As I noted earlier, I don't think I'll either stay up, or get up, to watch it from the start; which is at 02:30, our time. I'll get up "early", but I think I'll leave up to my old man's bladder to pick the exact time. :-) I do hope to catch all of the Patriots action, which begins with pick #23, unless they trade up, which I don't expect.

However, Day Two starts at 09:30 on Monday morning. I'll likely stick to the site for all of that.

I hope this helps any of you who want to see it as it happens.

In case you weren't aware of it, and would like to get some "live" coverage of the Draft, here's the information on the plans for NFL.com to provide a live internet stream of it. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/live/landing...=email_LIVE0423

Great news for me, since I've been a Draftnik for years. As I noted earlier, I don't think I'll either stay up, or get up, to watch it from the start; which is at 02:30, our time. I'll get up "early", but I think I'll leave up to my old man's bladder to pick the exact time. :-) I do hope to catch all of the Patriots action, which begins with pick #23, unless they trade up, which I don't expect.

However, Day Two starts at 09:30 on Monday morning. I'll likely stick to the site for all of that.

I hope this helps any of you who want to see it as it happens.

From these times it looks like the Cowboys first pick will be sometime on Tuesday afternoon.

How did your teams do in the draft? The Cowboys didn't pick until the late second round and got a safety who was hurt most of his senior year and an outside linebacker who has trouble covering tight ends.

Al Davis still thinks is the mid-sixties and his Raiders are in the AFL..................

"Just go long baby, we don't care if you can actually catch the ball".

What a dufus.

How did your teams do in the draft? The Cowboys didn't pick until the late second round and got a safety who was hurt most of his senior year and an outside linebacker who has trouble covering tight ends.

Well, I awoke at about 3 AM for one of my nightly "old man" trips to the bathroom. So, I couldn't stop myself from turning on the PC, and tuning in to watch it (via a stream).

OK, so we didn't get one of the highly ranked pass rushers. We certainly had the opportunity to do so, with the trade ammunition at our disposal. What does that tell us? It could be one or both of the following.

1. BB didn't believe that any of those players is good enough to create a significant improvement in our pass rush.

2. BB believes that Mike Crable, and or Vince Redd is good enough, and ready, to step up and provide that pass rush.

3. BB plans to use a lot of rotation at OLB this season, with Thomas, Crable, Redd, and Banta-Cain running in and out like ball boys at a tennis match.

4. BB still plans to acquire a vet, like Jason Taylor or Julius Peppers, to provide that pass rush for this season.

Whatever the case, I'll remain concerned about our pass rush until I see a much more effective one on the field than what I saw all last season.

I was happy with the first 3 guys we drafted, from what I read and saw of them on NFL.com. I wanted improvement in the secondary at both CB and S; and it appears that we may have done that. I can't argue with going for more depth at NT, a position that is very tough to play without frequent relief. (It will also be nice to have Wilfork and Brace in there together on goal line and short yardage plays!). But I still question whether we shouldn't have used one of those 3 picks to improve our pass rush.

As for the last guy, he appears to be a big gamble/project kind of guy. I'm not jumping with joy over using a R2 pick for that type of player. But there must be something that BB saw about the guy that puts him that high on the board. I can't argue at all with his position, as I'm no Matt Light fan.

Oh well. We'll see what happens tomorrow. Lots of picks in R3 to play with now, too. We have 4, after picking up 2 in today's trades, to add to our own, and the comp pick we already had. I'm sure there will be trade activity of some kind; with a likely attempt to get a 2010 R2 pick for one of these R3 picks.

Bottom line? It's another "typically untypical and unpredictable" Belichick Draft! :-)

Well, I awoke at about 3 AM for one of my nightly "old man" trips to the bathroom. So, I couldn't stop myself from turning on the PC, and tuning in to watch it (via a stream).

OK, so we didn't get one of the highly ranked pass rushers. We certainly had the opportunity to do so, with the trade ammunition at our disposal. What does that tell us? It could be one or both of the following.

1. BB didn't believe that any of those players is good enough to create a significant improvement in our pass rush.

2. BB believes that Mike Crable, and or Vince Redd is good enough, and ready, to step up and provide that pass rush.

3. BB plans to use a lot of rotation at OLB this season, with Thomas, Crable, Redd, and Banta-Cain running in and out like ball boys at a tennis match.

4. BB still plans to acquire a vet, like Jason Taylor or Julius Peppers, to provide that pass rush for this season.

Whatever the case, I'll remain concerned about our pass rush until I see a much more effective one on the field than what I saw all last season.

I was happy with the first 3 guys we drafted, from what I read and saw of them on NFL.com. I wanted improvement in the secondary at both CB and S; and it appears that we may have done that. I can't argue with going for more depth at NT, a position that is very tough to play without frequent relief. (It will also be nice to have Wilfork and Brace in there together on goal line and short yardage plays!). But I still question whether we shouldn't have used one of those 3 picks to improve our pass rush.

As for the last guy, he appears to be a big gamble/project kind of guy. I'm not jumping with joy over using a R2 pick for that type of player. But there must be something that BB saw about the guy that puts him that high on the board. I can't argue at all with his position, as I'm no Matt Light fan.

Oh well. We'll see what happens tomorrow. Lots of picks in R3 to play with now, too. We have 4, after picking up 2 in today's trades, to add to our own, and the comp pick we already had. I'm sure there will be trade activity of some kind; with a likely attempt to get a 2010 R2 pick for one of these R3 picks.

Bottom line? It's another "typically untypical and unpredictable" Belichick Draft! :-)

I must have been looking at one of the analysts projected drafts when I commented on the Cowboys, since they had exactly zero picks in the first two rounds. They ended up getting a back up QB from Texas AM, a kicker, and the rest were shockingly, all defensive picks by Wade Philips. From analyst reports, none of them have a chance of being anything more than a back up, unless they materially develop at the highest level there is.

Patsfangr, the Cowboys will be bidding heavily in the free agency market (again). If Roy Williams doesn't pan out to be what they gave up for him and T.O. is now gone so no excuses, I agree with Aikman's comment that this will have been the worse trade the Cowboys ever made.

• 2 weeks later...

Would any of you, by any chance, like to have the option to watch NFL Network on your PC?

YES!, guys, WE CAN DO IT! I'm watching it right now!

Here's the URL: mms://public.wmv.mobitv.com/wm44-320

If you have Windows Media Player set as your default player, it will bring it right up!

ENJOY!!

Would any of you, by any chance, like to have the option to watch NFL Network on your PC?

YES!, guys, WE CAN DO IT! I'm watching it right now!

Here's the URL: mms://public.wmv.mobitv.com/wm44-320

If you have Windows Media Player set as your default player, it will bring it right up!

ENJOY!!

Let me add that the quality is not the best. It also does something I've never seen before. It "skips back" every now and then; and repeats the last few seconds of the video. I don't know if that's just for the type of films now being shown; or if it's a technical fault with the feed. But, in any case, it is STILL very watchable, IMO. Beats hel_l out of NO NFL Network at all.

I'll be very interested to what we get during the rest of the day. I hope the "league news" shows come through! That's what I'm really interested in. I'm going to check the online NFL Network site for the schedule.

Here's the link for the program schedule on NFL Network. http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/networksched...ld=selectedDate

As you would expect, it's primarily one old 'NFL Films' show after another, repeated at various times. The 'TOTAL ACCESS' news show runs from 3 PM (BKK time) throughout the afternoon and evening. I don't know if it's only one hour repeated over and over again; or a couple of hours. My guess is that it's just one, at this time of year.

In any case, it gives us a shot to get first hand news from a good source; as meager as that news may be right now. And there are still a lot of those old, well produced, NFL Films programs that I haven't seen before. Still a good option when TrueVisions has nothing on worth watching - which is more and more often these days, since so many of the good shows moved off to the new 'networks' (Universal, Fox Crime, and AXN Beyond), none of which are carried by TrueV!

The real value of this will begin in late July, when teams begin to report for camp, and there's a lot to keep an eye on. I am very optimistic about this, despite the poor video quality, and the strange "backward skipping" that I mentioned.

Well, that was short and sweet! It looks like the NFL sent the "Internet SWAT" in and blew up the link that gave us access to NFL Network! :D

What pisses me off about this is that I'd be willing to PAY for a stream; and the NFL obviously has the technical capabilities to provide one. I subscribed to the 'Live' game stream package last season; and I'll be doing it again this year. It works beautifully, even here in Thailand, with the new equipment that they put in last year. So why aren't they smart enough to realize that they could make a bundle by charging a reasonable price for 24/7/365 access, worldwide, to NFL Network?

It seems like a no-brainer "next step" to me! :)

Am now in the process of booking my air tickets to the U.S. where pops and I spend the first weekend of NFL in Vegas, betting on the games and overall, whooping it up.

BTW-we do not wear jerseys, but we do drink a lot...

I'd like to gauge some of your guy's insights into that first weekend. What do you like? We don't have spreads yet, but let me know if you see anything:

THU, SEP 10

Tennessee at Pittsburgh-TN &pts?

SUN, SEP 13

Miami at Atlanta-ATL a monster?

Denver at Cincinnati-DNV downfall?

Minnesota at Cleveland-Clv at home?

Jacksonville at Indianapolis-?

Detroit at New Orleans-NO to crush?

Dallas at Tampa Bay-OMR ?opinion?

Philadelphia at Carolina-Home dog?

Kansas City at Baltimore-EZ Bal score?

NY Jets at Houston-Tossup?

Washington at NY Giants-Gmen start slowly..

San Francisco at Arizona-FG game last 2 years

St. Louis at Seattle-Rams better this year?

Chicago at Green Bay-Under?

MON, SEP 14

Buffalo at New England-NE+7 take the pts?

San Diego at Oakland-RAIDERS WIN ! RAIDERS WIN !

Am now in the process of booking my air tickets to the U.S. where pops and I spend the first weekend of NFL in Vegas, betting on the games and overall, whooping it up.

I'd like to gauge some of your guy's insights into that first weekend. What do you like? We don't have spreads yet, but let me know if you see anything:

THU, SEP 10

SUN, SEP 13

MON, SEP 14

It's much too early for me to have any strong opinions about any of these games, Huggy. We don't even know what the starting lineups will look like. I need to at least read the results of training camps, and check for injuries, etc., before I'll be ready to predict anything more than the Patriots home opener victory over the Bills! :)

It's much too early for me to have any strong opinions about any of these games, Huggy. We don't even know what the starting lineups will look like. I need to at least read the results of training camps, and check for injuries, etc., before I'll be ready to predict anything more than the Patriots home opener victory over the Bills! :)

Understood, just want to see if anyone sees anything right off the bat

Understood, just want to see if anyone sees anything right off the bat

Same as Patsfangr, although I am looking for T.O. to have a big day against the Pats on opening day.

Hey guys! Here's a pretty good access to the video from NFL Network's "Total Access" show. It's not the "ultimate" - live broadcast - but it does give us access to pick and choose among clips of interest to us.

For me it was worth at least a bookmark for frequent checks; and will be much more useful when training camps begin in a couple of months.

http://www.nfl.com/videos

THU, SEP 10

SUN, SEP 13

MON, SEP 14

Yeah, what he said except for Denver and KC getting slammed. Then if the Raiders get out of the gate quick against SD we might have a chance to win this weak division!!!

Yeah, what he said except for Denver and KC getting slammed. Then if the Raiders get out of the gate quick against SD we might have a chance to win this weak division!!!

Problem there is for sure the Chargers are going to be stacked. Merriman back, new pass rusher English, and after last year's slow start I don't think the Chargers will let that happen again.

I have hi hopes for our men in silver and black, but getting past the Chargers is going to be way difficult.............

• 2 weeks later...

Heard on the radio this morning... 49ers close to announcing a deal for a new stadium with Santa Clara County, which would mean the team relocating a bit south in the Bay Area. But it sounded like the plans for a new $700 million stadium would be contingent on voter approval of financing. Supposed to be some formal announcement coming out early next week.

Heard on the radio this morning... 49ers close to announcing a deal for a new stadium with Santa Clara County, which would mean the team relocating a bit south in the Bay Area. But it sounded like the plans for a new $700 million stadium would be contingent on voter approval of financing. Supposed to be some formal announcement coming out early next week.

I doubt that there's any truth to that. As I understand it, you can't build anything new in the USA now unless Obama's government owns at least 60% of it! :):D

This isn't the latest news, but it does give a general idea of what's been going on with the 49ers and Santa Clara...

49ers, Santa Clara Excited About New Stadium Deal

Eye On Blogs: Post Your Thoughts About A 49ers Move

SANTA CLARA (CBS 5 / BCN) ―

SF 49ers, City Of Santa Clara Reach Stadium Deal (5/20/2009)

The prospect of the San Francisco 49ers moving to Santa Clara is looking brighter, team and city officials who have collaborated on the project said Wednesday.

"They've worked very hard to get to the point where we are today," said Lisa Lang, a spokeswoman for the 49ers.

Santa Clara Deputy City Manager Carol McCarthy said the negotiating parties are holding a public meeting on June 2 to review the terms of the proposed stadium deal and possibly take action on the term sheet, a document detailing the specifics of a stadium arrangement between the two parties, including financing.

The meeting will also serve as an opportunity for public comment, McCarthy said, and the term sheet will be released to the public a few days prior to the meeting.

"It was a milestone in the sense that the completion ... represents that the team and the city have completed negotiations at least on a conceptual framework for an agreement to go forward," Mayor Patricia Mahan said.

In the meantime, an environmental impact report is in progress to address and mitigate issues such as traffic, air and land use and other impacts the project could possibly have on the environment. If the term sheet is approved, McCarthy said the next step for the city would be to develop a Disposition and Development Agreement, a legal contract that outlines the responsibility of the parties involved, in addition to finances.

McCarthy likened the nearly two-year negotiations process to buying real estate. The $900 million project is the city's largest yet, McCarthy said. And before the team can finally move to a lot next to the Great America amusement park, issues such as financing, land lease payments and cost overruns during the construction period still need to be ironed out.

Santa Clara officials have stipulated a stadium should not impact tax rates, or draw money from the general fund. McCarthy speculated funding would be contributed by the team, the National Football League and stadium authority among other entities.

In the long run, McCarthy said, the 49ers will help give an economic boost to local businesses and hotels and also potentially help create new jobs.

Aside from the dedicated few who have voiced their opposition to the project at council meetings, Mahan said public response has been overwhelmingly favorable.

"They ask when are they coming?" she said.

Here IS the latest....

49ers' Santa Clara stadium plan would cost public $114 million

By Mike Swift

Mercury News

Posted: 05/29/2009 06:22:38 PM PDT

Updated: 05/29/2009 10:26:01 PM PDT

Capping 18 months of closed-door negotiations, the 49ers and Santa Clara unveiled a proposed stadium deal Friday that would require $114 million in public money — almost 50 percent less than the two sides had earlier considered to bring the storied NFL franchise to the South Bay.

Under the proposed financial plan, the public contribution would come from a combination of redevelopment money, a new tax on area hotels and municipal utility funds to finance 12 percent of the $937 million cost for a new 68,500-seat stadium near Great America and the Santa Clara Convention Center. The stadium is now slated to open in 2014, two years later than initially planned.

City Manager Jennifer Sparacino, who is recommending that the city proceed with the deal, said she is "very confident" the agreement protects city taxpayers and utility ratepayers from being on the hook for revenue shortfalls or cost overruns to build or operate the stadium. The stadium, she said, would foster the city's vision to turn the area around the convention center and Great America into an entertainment district.

The stadium "will provide some excellent economic development, not only for the city, but for Silicon Valley," Sparacino said.

In a significant change from the financial plan the two sides initially studied in 2007, the proposed "term sheet" made public late Friday promises revenue directly to the city's general fund. It also includes the possibility of the city receiving a refund on a large part of its investment if the stadium lands a second NFL team, such as the Raiders, something Sparacino described as "a fairly high possibility."

"This is such a win-win for the city," said City Councilman Dom Caserta. "We didn't get tapped into the 49ers, and their history, and getting Super Bowls here and all that. We were methodical, we took our time and we pushed hard. And we got everything we wanted and more."

But although the council appears poised to vote as soon as Tuesday to move the project forward to a citywide ballot in 2010, the prospects for the stadium's financial success still depend on the accuracy of future economic projections. The biggest burden would appear to be fall on two groups:

# The 49ers and the National Football League. They would provide a combined $493 million — $130 million more than they proposed in 2007. Team officials would not discuss how that contribution would be divided with the league. It would comprise 53 percent of the project's cost.

# A proposed city stadium authority, the public agency that would build and own the facility. The authority would have to raise enough money through the sale of naming rights, corporate sponsorships, seat licenses and ticket surcharges to finance $330 million, or 35 percent, of the project cost, even as fans in a painful recession have proven reluctant to spend premium dollars on sports.

Because a majority of the rent Santa Clara's general fund would receive from the stadium is "performance-based" during the first decade of the 40-year deal, the authority would also have to be successful in booking college football games, international soccer matches, concerts and other non-NFL events. Otherwise, Santa Clara might see only a fraction of the more than $2 million projected return to the general fund in the stadium's first year.

Overall, however, the numbers are significantly more favorable to the city than the plan under consideration in late 2007, which had a total public cost of $222 million for the stadium and related infrastructure. City officials say the public contribution in Santa Clara would be a smaller percentage of the project than any NFL stadium deal they have researched.

City officials and the 49ers peg Santa Clara's contribution at $79 million, saying the proposed 2 percent hotel tax could be termed a private contribution, although the city would form the district that would collect it. The term sheet includes freshly crafted language that would appear to insulate city taxpayers from revenue shortfalls or cost overruns in both the stadium's construction or operations — meaning the 49ers and the NFL would be exposed to

paying even more than $493 million.

Team officials say the bottom line is that the team is accepting all of the risk.

"The city's contribution at $79 million is fixed," said Larry MacNeil, the 49ers' chief finance officer. "Ours is not."

There are also a number of other financial sweeteners for the community — including a $20 million boost in redevelopment funds that would flow to the Santa Clara Unified School District through 2026 if the project goes forward, as required under state redevelopment law.

Surcharges levied on stadium tickets would bankroll a $250,000-a-year fund for city parks, libraries and youth and senior programs, and other surcharges are a second potential revenue source for the general fund.

The deal would send the 49ers packing from San Francisco, the city where they have played for six decades, to the South Bay city where they located their headquarters and training camp 23 years ago.

MacNeil said the 49ers were willing to accept a higher share of the cost to get the deal done.

"Why do we like this deal? Largely because it's one of the best sites in the Bay Area for a stadium," McNeil said in an interview Friday. "We really like the city of Santa Clara in terms of a business environment, and a place that gets things done, and it's something that we think we can do in a reasonable time frame, and one of the keys there is that the infrastructure is completed. The existence of traffic infrastructure, and public transportation at this site, is really key for an NFL stadium."

The South Bay stadium site, at the base of the bay, is framed by three nearby freeways and offers light rail and commuter rail right to the site. That is one major advantage over San Francisco's proposed site at Hunters Point, which has no transit access and would require hundreds of millions of dollars of bridge and highway construction to provide access.

If a Santa Clara stadium authority were successful in luring a second NFL team to share the stadium, the 49ers would return all of the $42 million invested by the city's redevelopment agency.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has urged the Raiders and the 49ers to consider a shared stadium. In New York, the league contributed an unprecedented $300 million to a new stadium that will be shared by the Giants and the Jets.

"If a second team comes here, it's going to pay for itself," Caserta said of the benefit to Santa Clara. "I think we've created a situation where a second team possibility is not only possible, but would be very, very lucrative to a team looking into that. The NFL thinks what the Jets and Giants did in New York was a great partnership."

The Raiders continue to consider the possibility of a shared Bay Area stadium, said Amy Trask, the team's chief executive.

"We are exploring — and keeping an open mind with respect to — all opportunities to create a world-class stadium for our fans and our team, and that includes keeping an open mind with respect to a shared stadium," Trask said. "We enjoy a cooperative and collaborative relationship with the 49ers."

If it goes through, it will be interesting to see if they change their name. I recall the NY Giants didn't change their name when they played their home games in the Yale Bowl.

OMR, I looked in my June True Magazine that I get as part of the Gold Package, and didn't find any visible mention of ASN...

In the daily listings, in the sports section at the bottom of the page, they're just showing True Sports 1-4, ESPN and Star Sports....

What channel is it going to be on the digital and analog systems???