American Football

ChuckZ

Am I the only person watching ASN regularly who is SERIOUSLY IRRITATED by their inability or refusal to equalize the sound levels between game/program content, and the promo videos they run during breaks?

I have to quickly grab the remote, and mute or lower the sound every time there's a break. With the sound up high enough to hear the game audio, the promo sound level shakes the walls, not to mention the eardrums!

I have written to them about this three times. If it bothers you, I'd really appreciate some support, with complaints from other viewers. Just go to their website (http://www.asn.tv/eng/scheduling090821.html), and click on "Contact Us"; or write to them at [email protected].

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only person watching ASN regularly who is SERIOUSLY IRRITATED by their inability or refusal to equalize the sound levels between game/program content, and the promo videos they run during breaks?

I have to quickly grab the remote, and mute or lower the sound every time there's a break. With the sound up high enough to hear the game audio, the promo sound level shakes the walls, not to mention the eardrums!

I have written to them about this three times. If it bothers you, I'd really appreciate some support, with complaints from other viewers. Just go to their website (http://www.asn.tv/eng/scheduling090821.html), and click on "Contact Us"; or write to them at [email protected].

Patsfangr, I have to admit I haven't noticed. I guess it is probably because I record the games via the PVR, and then fast forward through the in between films of past games (over and over).

Patsfangr, I have to admit I haven't noticed. I guess it is probably because I record the games via the PVR, and then fast forward through the in between films of past games (over and over).

Further to my message above, I checked it out during today's Cowboy game and found out it is the actual game's sound level that is the problem. The game sound level is very low and if you switch from the game to another channel you get the same elevated sound level that you get during the promo videos they run during the breaks.

Further to my message above, I checked it out during today's Cowboy game and found out it is the actual game's sound level that is the problem. The game sound level is very low and if you switch from the game to another channel you get the same elevated sound level that you get during the promo videos they run during the breaks.

That doesn't matter as far as my complaint is concerned, OMR. The sound engineers at ASN (if they, in fact, have any) should still be able to adjust the program volume to match their other (promo) output. They should listen to the program volume, and pump it up to match the promo volume, if necessary.

Did y'all see Jerry Jones new scoreboard in the game yesterday? It's a perfect reflection of it's owner's ego. It's the biggest one in the NFL; and it's so big that it interferes with the game!

In case you missed it, the scoreboard stretches above the field from about the the 30 to the 30. But it hangs so low that a well hit punt HITS IT! It happened once during the game, causing a re-kick. The players on punt teams just love that!

The announcers speculated that the NFL will direct Jones to fix it by raising the $55 million dollar monster. Considering the cost of doing that, I have to wonder if Jerry, as he so often does, will tell the NFL to kiss his ass. After all, it's his stadium, and his money; and Jones doesn't consider himself, or his team, subject to what's best for the league.

In any case, nice planning job, Jerry. You really know the game of football, when you have no freakin' idea how high a punt goes, and put your toys in the way!

Did y'all see Jerry Jones new scoreboard in the game yesterday? It's a perfect reflection of it's owner's ego. It's the biggest one in the NFL; and it's so big that it interferes with the game!

In case you missed it, the scoreboard stretches above the field from about the the 30 to the 30. But it hangs so low that a well hit punt HITS IT! It happened once during the game, causing a re-kick. The players on punt teams just love that!

The announcers speculated that the NFL will direct Jones to fix it by raising the $55 million dollar monster. Considering the cost of doing that, I have to wonder if Jerry, as he so often does, will tell the NFL to kiss his ass. After all, it's his stadium, and his money; and Jones doesn't consider himself, or his team, subject to what's best for the league.

In any case, nice planning job, Jerry. You really know the game of football, when you have no freakin' idea how high a punt goes, and put your toys in the way!

jerry jones = arse clown

What did I tell you? Jones response to the problem he has created for the league, and the game itself, is exactly what I expected from him! ...

"Source: Tim MacMahon - The Dallas Morning News

Tim MacMahon, of The Dallas Morning News, reports Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said he would not consider raising the scoreboard in the team's new stadium after Tennessee Titans P A.J. Trapasso bounced a ball off of it during a preseason game Friday, Aug. 21. Jones pointed out that his $1.2 billion stadium was built to league specifications and also hinted that Trapasso may have been aiming for the scoreboard. 'That's not the point,' Jones said. 'How high is high if somebody just wants to sit there and kick straight up?...If you look at how you punt the football, unless you're trying to hit the scoreboard, you punt the ball to get downfield. You certainly want to get some hangtime, but you punt the ball to get downfield, and you sure don't punt the ball down the middle. You punt it off to the side.'"

Teams do NOT always "punt it off to the side"! Jones doesn't give a DAMM about anybody but himself. He LOVES the attention he's getting for his new stadium, and places that at the top of his priorities. Typical Jerry Jones behavior. Always has been. Always will be. The Cowboys were respected by all under Tex Schramm and Tom Landry. They have no respect from the rest of the country with this ego maniac running things. That's why the best coach he could get was Wade Phillips!

After a couple more weeks of listening to the NFL Preseason games online via the league's paid Field Pass service, I don't regret having paid a few bucks for the month of pre-season access (live and archived)...

But....I will make some observations about it...

1. Indeed, football is a VISUAL game... Most of the radio announcing I've heard makes it very difficult to keep sustained track on what's going on with the game, and to keep a mental picture of field position and such. Some broadcast teams are better than others....but radio makes it tough.

2. The entire Field Pass service has what I've come to consider a VERY ANNOYING practice of covering all the commercial breaks and other game interruptions in their archived broadcasts with anonymous, martial type music. You can use the media player to skip over it each time.... But the NFL media player doesn't have fast forward or rewind functions.... It only has the player timeline that you can click forward or backward. So you don't know how long any break is going to be, and you can't FF ahead to listen to when the music will stop.

2a. That and, whomever is handling their cuts into and out of the breaks on the archived broadcasts is doing them in pretty loose fashion. At times, they're late to cut out so you get the beginnings of commercials, which isn't bad. But they're also at times late to cut back into the game, meaning you miss the first play call after a break sometimes, which is frustrating. How tough can it be to just edit the audio file to entirely cut out the commercial breaks and leave the game only intact.

3. One other annoying feature for me is the fact that the Field Pass player shows the final game scores on the little icon for each archived game once the audio becomes available online. If I haven't caught the game live, then of course, I try to avoid hearing/seeing the outcome of the game until I can listen to the full game. But Field Pass makes that impossible because to play the archived game, you've got to click and look at the game icon with the final score displayed on it. That kind of ruins the suspense of listening to the archived game.

4. The promised Game Rewind day after video service for the regular season is supposed to be commercial free. If that turns out as promised, it will be a big improvement.

What did I tell you? Jones response to the problem he has created for the league, and the game itself, is exactly what I expected from him! ...

Tim MacMahon, of The Dallas Morning News, reports Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said he would not consider raising the scoreboard in the team's new stadium after Tennessee Titans P A.J. Trapasso bounced a ball off of it during a preseason game Friday, Aug. 21. Jones pointed out that his $1.2 billion stadium was built to league specifications and also hinted that Trapasso may have been aiming for the scoreboard. 'That's not the point,' Jones said. 'How high is high if somebody just wants to sit there and kick straight up?...If you look at how you punt the football, unless you're trying to hit the scoreboard, you punt the ball to get downfield. You certainly want to get some hangtime, but you punt the ball to get downfield, and you sure don't punt the ball down the middle. You punt it off to the side.'"

Teams do NOT always "punt it off to the side"! Jones doesn't give a DAMM about anybody but himself. He LOVES the attention he's getting for his new stadium, and places that at the top of his priorities. Typical Jerry Jones behavior. Always has been. Always will be. The Cowboys were respected by all under Tex Schramm and Tom Landry. They have no respect from the rest of the country with this ego maniac running things. That's why the best coach he could get was Wade Phillips!

Isn't this a little too much about nothing? As I recall there is a major league stadium where batted balls hit the roof from time to time. No big deal here.

Isn't this a little too much about nothing? As I recall there is a major league stadium where batted balls hit the roof from time to time. No big deal here.

The immediate, simple, answer is, NO! First of all, as the old adage goes, two wrongs don't make a right. More specifically, it IS a big deal to have to run punt plays twice, OMR, and you, as a long time, knowledgeable football fan, know that. Players hate to have to run punt plays over. It can very definitely have an impact on the game.

Jones should be forced to raise that scoreboard, using the same logic that is applied in making all fields stantard size, and requiring that teams be provided equal access to communications equipment, etc. The stadium should not interfere with the game. This one does. I say they should direct him to raise it higher. (He can't do that with his ego; but the scoreboard can go higher!)

The immediate, simple, answer is, NO! First of all, as the old adage goes, two wrongs don't make a right. More specifically, it IS a big deal to have to run punt plays twice, OMR, and you, as a long time, knowledgeable football fan, know that. Players hate to have to run punt plays over. It can very definitely have an impact on the game.

Jones should be forced to raise that scoreboard, using the same logic that is applied in making all fields stantard size, and requiring that teams be provided equal access to communications equipment, etc. The stadium should not interfere with the game. This one does. I say they should direct him to raise it higher. (He can't do that with his ego; but the scoreboard can go higher!)

Sit back and think about it. The league made the decision that it has to be replayed. The league is being ridiculous. All fields may be of a standard size, but not all fields are equal. Missed field goals due to windy conditions in outdoor stadiums are never replayed.

If everything is to be standard, then all fields should be either indoors or outdoors, but not some way and others another way. If the league is going to allow some home teams to play in perfect weather and none of this is a do over, then as long as everything is built to spec (which is the case in Dallas), then don't replay it. Let the NFL season begin, without do overs.

By the way, I keep hoping one of my errant tee shots in golf hits a tree and goes into the hole. On a par three this will be officially recorded as a hole in one, not a do over.

Sit back and think about it. The league made the decision that it has to be replayed. The league is being ridiculous. All fields may be of a standard size, but not all fields are equal. Missed field goals due to windy conditions in outdoor stadiums are never replayed.

If everything is to be standard, then all fields should be either indoors or outdoors, but not some way and others another way. If the league is going to allow some home teams to play in perfect weather and none of this is a do over, then as long as everything is built to spec (which is the case in Dallas), then don't replay it. Let the NFL season begin, without do overs.

By the way, I keep hoping one of my errant tee shots in golf hits a tree and goes into the hole. On a par three this will be officially recorded as a hole in one, not a do over.

Good advice, OMR. Sitting back and thinking about it, I realize that weather and trees are natural obstacles. The aren't placed into the stadium by a team owner. (Though I'm sure that Jones considers himself in the same category as the one who created the weather!)

Personally, I'm one of those old dudes who wishes that all stadiums WERE still outdoors. That said, while there are indoor stadiums, none of them have thus far been allowed to build things into the stadium that present a significant possibility for interference with the game. The only possible exception to that that I know of was the refusal of the league to adequately investigate the claims of piped in noise in Indianapolis to increase the difficulty for opponents to call signals.

We'll see how this plays out over the first few games. If it does, in fact, result in several "dead ball, replay the down" situations on punts, Jones should be forced to raise the dam_n thing! Contrary to his personal belief, the game IS more important than Jerry Jones and everything he owns!

Good advice, OMR. Sitting back and thinking about it, I realize that weather and trees are natural obstacles. The aren't placed into the stadium by a team owner. (Though I'm sure that Jones considers himself in the same category as the one who created the weather!)

Personally, I'm one of those old dudes who wishes that all stadiums WERE still outdoors. That said, while there are indoor stadiums, none of them have thus far been allowed to build things into the stadium that present a significant possibility for interference with the game. The only possible exception to that that I know of was the refusal of the league to adequately investigate the claims of piped in noise in Indianapolis to increase the difficulty for opponents to call signals.

We'll see how this plays out over the first few games. If it does, in fact, result in several "dead ball, replay the down" situations on punts, Jones should be forced to raise the dam_n thing! Contrary to his personal belief, the game IS more important than Jerry Jones and everything he owns!

In 2007, Matt McBriar had the highest punt average in the NFL in 43 years (not bad for an Aussie!). Last year, he broke his foot in an OT game against the eventual NFC champion Arizona Cardinals. McBriar has had no problem punting with this scoreboard and in real games, I doubt any first rate punter will either. There will, however, always be those who want their names in the record books some way who can't do it the way McBriar did it (by earning it).

Lots of NASCAR on ASN today, for those who enjoy that. Personally, I find it boring. But, as with all sports, to each his own.

Here's the schedule: http://www.asn.tv/eng/scheduling090827.html

I suggest that everyone with access to ASN bookmark the above linked page. You can simply change the date in the box above for the days in that week. Later, you just click on the "Schedule" link at the left. It will take you to the schedule for that current day. It appears that, at least for now, ASN is keeping that up to date with accurate programming references.

Subtract one hour from HK/Sing time and you're on Thai time. Now can someone explain this to me:

The Sept True program guide shows "NFL 2009/2010 (Live)" at 00:00 and 03:30 Monday 7th Sept on True Sport 3 (ch 61). The NFL schedule doesn't have any games on Sunday the 6th...<deleted>???

Edited by kloghead

My official NFL schedule (not True) shows games on Sept. 4, and then the next on Sept. 10....

But the above post does raise an interesting question... Will True continue to broadcast its few NFL games on its own sports channels this season, or, will all the NFL content get ported to ASN only....

Edited by jfchandler

The NFL Regular Season opens with TENN @ PITT, on Thurs, Sept 10, at 8:30 PM EST (7:30 AM, Fri, Sept 11 in Thailand). The official NFL Schedule can be found here: http://www.nfl.com/schedules?seasonType=REG#Week

There is a game on Sept 4 (Sept 5 AM here) that will be shown on ASN. That game is DAL @ MIN, and is one of the games of the final weekend of the pre season. That will be the last live broadcast of pre season games. The next live game will be the opening game of the regular season, listed above.

The schedule that Kloghead sees in the TrueV magazine is WRONG. (Surprise!) There are, as you said, NO NFL games on Sunday, Sept 6. I have no idea why these people find it so difficult to get this straight. As noted above, the NFL schedule is there on the web for all to see. I can only guess that their inaccuracy is a reflection of a lack of concern for accuracy; and add that it is a constant problem with throughout their TV Guide, not just on ASN.

It appears True will show two live games early Mondays the 14th & 21st on Sport 3 channel with repeats later in the day--like last year.

I wonder what they'll show on the 7th? Maybe a repeat of today's "Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons Tribute on Ice 08"...

The NFL Regular Season opens with TENN @ PITT, on Thurs, Sept 10, at 8:30 PM EST (7:30 AM, Fri, Sept 11 in Thailand). The official NFL Schedule can be found here: http://www.nfl.com/schedules?seasonType=REG#Week

There is a game on Sept 4 (Sept 5 AM here) that will be shown on ASN. That game is DAL @ MIN, and is one of the games of the final weekend of the pre season. That will be the last live broadcast of pre season games. The next live game will be the opening game of the regular season, listed above.

The schedule that Kloghead sees in the TrueV magazine is WRONG. (Surprise!) There are, as you said, NO NFL games on Sunday, Sept 6. I have no idea why these people find it so difficult to get this straight. As noted above, the NFL schedule is there on the web for all to see. I can only guess that their inaccuracy is a reflection of a lack of concern for accuracy; and add that it is a constant problem with throughout their TV Guide, not just on ASN.

Thanks for the link on the NFL schedule. While I really don't expect much from the Cowboys this year, I will support them. I have for many, many years, similar to you with the Pats (through thick and thin).

Thanks for the link on the NFL schedule. While I really don't expect much from the Cowboys this year, I will support them. I have for many, many years, similar to you with the Pats (through thick and thin).

A true fan has no choice, OMR. No matter what we "expect" from our teams, we can't ignore the hope that is ALWAYS there in our hearts for them.

And I don't believe that the Cowboys are going to be anybody's "gimmee" game this season. They don't appear to have enough to consider them a shoe in for the playoffs. But they're also not bad enough to be counted out.

They ARE the Cowboys. The winning tradition of that franchise will be worth a couple of wins each season, until and unless they have an extended period of failure (like the Raidahs of the last decade plus). We'll see some exciting football from them this season; and your heart will be thumping with anticipation at the kickoff of every game!

You KNOW I'm right! :-)

No sooner do I post that encouragement for OMR than this happens:

"R. Williams reportedly has broken collarbone

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports Dallas Cowboys WR Roy Williams (shoulder) was getting X-rays taken of his shoulder late Thursday, Aug. 27. Mike Florio, of ProFootballTalk.com, reports Williams suffered a broken collarbone during practice Thursday, Aug. 27, according to a league source."

This really SUCKS. I hate seeing serious injuries to any players in the game. But when it happens to a player who is expected to be a major contributor to the team, as the Cowboys hoped Williams would be this year, it's even worse.

I'm not a Cowboys fan. But I AM an NFL fan. Injuries hurt the game; and I am sincerely sorry to see Williams go down.

OMR, I now agree that you have reason for serious concern about your team. Their receiving corps is woefully weak without Williams. Witten will be run into the ground.

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports Dallas Cowboys WR Roy Williams (shoulder) was getting X-rays taken of his shoulder late Thursday, Aug. 27. Mike Florio, of ProFootballTalk.com, reports Williams suffered a broken collarbone during practice Thursday, Aug. 27, according to a league source."

This really SUCKS. I hate seeing serious injuries to any players in the game. But when it happens to a player who is expected to be a major contributor to the team, as the Cowboys hoped Williams would be this year, it's even worse.

I'm not a Cowboys fan. But I AM an NFL fan. Injuries hurt the game; and I am sincerely sorry to see Williams go down.

OMR, I now agree that you have reason for serious concern about your team. Their receiving corps is woefully weak without Williams. Witten will be run into the ground.

GOOD NEWS UPDATE! Looks like they jumped the gun on that story. While Williams may miss a little time, this has to be better than a broken collarbone!

"Left shoulder sprain for R. Williams

Contrary to previous reports, Todd Archer, of The Dallas Morning News, reports two sources have told him that X-rays on Dallas Cowboys WR Roy Williams (shoulder) were negative and that Williams suffered a sprain. There is no reported timetable for his return, and the Cowboys will provide an update Friday, Aug. 28."

A true fan has no choice, OMR. No matter what we "expect" from our teams, we can't ignore the hope that is ALWAYS there in our hearts for them.

And I don't believe that the Cowboys are going to be anybody's "gimmee" game this season. They don't appear to have enough to consider them a shoe in for the playoffs. But they're also not bad enough to be counted out.

They ARE the Cowboys. The winning tradition of that franchise will be worth a couple of wins each season, until and unless they have an extended period of failure (like the Raidahs of the last decade plus). We'll see some exciting football from them this season; and your heart will be thumping with anticipation at the kickoff of every game!

You KNOW I'm right! :-)

I know they will win some games, but I have mixed emotions about how this team will do this year. There are some great players and some younger ones who will (I think) become big contributors, notably Hurd (WR) and Scandrick (DB). The problem in a situation like this is you need good coaching and we don't have it.

BTW, yesterday in a scrimmage without pads, Scandrick laid Roy Williams out. Of course, he needs to save it for the opposition, but we need more guys like Scandrick who play at high intensity.

It looks no bone break so good news on Williams.

What happened with O'Connell? Why was he cut?

What happened with O'Connell? Why was he cut?

He has shown no improvement in this, his second season with the team, OMR. He played the entire 2nd half this week against Washington. His passes were nearly evenly distributed. Of his 10 attempts, he completed 3 to fellow Patriots (for a total of 18 yards!), and 2 to the Redskins. He has the physical tools; but just doesn't seem anywhere near ready for the NFL. Apparently the Patriots staff don't think he can get there within a reasonable period of time. They swung and missed on this Round 3 pick last year.

The #2 QB for the Patriots now will be Andrew Walter. FA Brian Hoyer (Mich St) is currently #3. Rumors have it that they're looking for a vet via trade, with A.J. Feely's name at the top of that list.

I'm unretired like Brett Favre. Yay?

OK, because it has been a year and I forget, please give us the list of teams that you will be rooting for this year. I kind of remember Carolina and I think Tampa Bay, but can't remember the others.

I think we did go through this last year; but I'm always ready to repeat myself, when the subject is football! :-)

Other than my Patriots, I root FOR: Carolina (Because the fans had class in Houston at SB 38, and because I think their HC, John Fox, is a pretty classy guy too.); San Diego (Because I lived in So Cal for over 30 years, and saw and enjoyed many of their games.); Kansas City (Added this year, because I wish the best for former Pats personnel guy, Scott Pioli.); Denver (Also added this year, for similar reasons - their new HC, Josh McDaniel, is also a Belichick protege.) Makes it tough with all 3 of those teams in the same Division, playing each other twice!! :-) I also root for Arizona, because I think Warner is a good guy, and it's great to see a perennial doormat give their fans something to cheer about. After waiting 42 years for the Patriots to win a Super Bowl, I KNOW what that's about!! :-)

Finally, I root for any team, on any given week, when they play the Jets, Dolphins, Raidahs, Colts, Steelers, Browns or Cowboys.

So, given all of that, you can see that I have a level of interest in dam_n near every game that's played, every week! :-)