Retirement Visa

An american friend of mine, age 69, and his thai wife of 10 years, age 31, are planning to retire to her family home in Issan. He was under the impression, as was I, that he could either put 800,000 baht in an account, or less than that and his retirement income had to be at least 800,000 baht. His combined retirement income is in excess of 120,000 baht a month. He was going to put 9,000 US dollars in the thai bank. He has been told by Houston that he needs $20,000 US in the bank for both himself, AND his wife. $40,000 US total before he will get a retirement visa. Is this correct? Any other options? He sold his computer preparing for the move, so I am trying to help him out. I know that this site will give him the best information. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

He does not even have to have a retirement visa but can use the normal support Thai wife with 400k in a bank account in Thailand and apply for the one year extension of stay 60 days after he arrives on a normal single entry non immigrant O visa.

He can also do the same for retirement but have 800k in a bank account or pension income letter from Embassy and a bank account with anything in it.

There seems to be a serious communications problem somewhere as even if wife was not Thai only one retirement deposit is required. Below is the official requirements from the MFA web site:

II. REQUIRED DOCUMENTS FOR VISA APPLICATION

A passport with validity not less than 18 months

Three copies of visa application form completely filled out.

Three passport-sized photos of the applicant taken within

the past six months.

A personal Data Form

A copy of bank statement showing a deposit at the amount equal to not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthy income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht. 

In the case of the bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is to be shown as well. 

Verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record issued from the country of his/her nationality or residence (the verification shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notorized by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic/consular mission).

A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) (the certificate shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notorized by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic/consular mission).

In the case that the applicant wishes to have his/her spouse stay together in the Kingdom but the spouse is not qualified for the “O-A” visa, their marriage certificate shall also be produced as evidence and should be notorized by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic/consular mission. (The spouse will be considered for temporary stay under category “O”).

Agree, lopburi.

Not very encouraging if it's Houston (historically known for their ease) telling him this.

I suspect it is just a miscommunication as he was talking deposit of 9.5k in a Thai bank and that is not part of the O-A process so when they said money in a US bank (which is how it is done) he probably misunderstood. When 20K in US bank mentioned for him and wife it was probably assumed to be each but not said that way. But this is crystal balling a bit. :o