Tourism Authority Banks On 'Budget Travel' Campaign For Domestic Boost

george

TAT banks on 'budget travel' campaign for domestic boost

By SUCHAT SRITAMA

THE NATION

Published on November 24, 2010

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand is hopeful of livening up the tourism industry over the remainder of the year with a new campaign called "Budget Travel".

The campaign is an effort to boost domestic travel to 91 million trips over the full year.

Prakit Piriyakiet, TAT's deputy governor for marketing communications, yesterday said the campaign would boost travel by locals, particularly young people of working age, around the provinces, including recently flooded areas.

Hotels, resorts and travel companies are offering special prices to tempt customers to travel within the country this month and next.

Earlier, the TAT announced it would focus on large groups travelling by coach in order to help operators in the provinces.

It also announced 10 short-term measures to help restore tourism in Hat Yai and other parts of the South following the flooding.

The authority hopes these measures will enable it to reach this year's target of 91 million domestic trips.

As part of its campaign to boost the attractiveness of domestic destinations, the TAT together with Krungthai Card (KTC), Krungthep Turakij newspaper and MasterCard launched a campaign to find the country's best boutique hotels.

The first year's results of "Thailand Boutique Awards 2010" were announced on Monday. Forty-eight awards were presented by Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Silapa-archa following deliberation by an 11-member panel of judges.

The Regional Excellence Award in the North was won by the Rachamankha Hotel in Chiang Mai, while the Tohsang Hotel in Ubon Ratchathani won for the northeastern region, Chakrabongse Villas in Bangkok for the central region and the Paresa Resort in Phuket for the South.

Niwatt Chittalarn, president and chief executive officer of KTC, said tourism had been affected by the domestic political situation and the recession in Europe and the United States, with small to medium-sized hotels being particularly hard hit.

"During the crisis, many boutique hotels have been uncompetitive on pricing but they do have strong advantages in their outstanding and unique design. So, we want to improve their potential to grow their business. The awards should help operators to gain more customers from these certifications," said Niwatt.

Duangkamol Chotana, editor of Krungthep Turakij, said many unique boutique hotels had applied to participate in the scheme. However, between the periods of review of the contestants, many provinces had been caught up in the flooding crisis.

"So, we decided that we would skip the 'Special Excellence Award' for the best-of-the-best boutique hotel with superiority in all aspects, because it would be unfair on the boutique hotels in flooded areas," Duangkamol said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-24

The Tourism Authority of Thailand is hopeful of livening up the tourism industry over the remainder of the year with a new campaign called "Budget Travel".

i wonder if Bangkok Airways will be invloced in this ??? , as they are not exaclty ' Budget '

What constitutes a Boutique Hotel? Or a Boutique airline for that mattes. Who says it is one.

Collins English dictionary - "Boutique" a small shop, one selling clothes

This is just sheer advertising BS.  Same same in the UK when I left. Everything had to be 'gel' - liquid anything was out. The hard of thinking with lemming tendencies who just have to follow fashion and trends since they are unable to think for themselves, swallow the bait and big business cleans up - again. I am still working on understanding what a boutique dental hospital is. BTW if the advertising BS about dental products was even half true, dentists would be a thing of the past by now. 

It's just reflex behaviour by TAT, rather like a chicken scratching in the dirt. It would never occur to them to simply ask tourists what they want, the name boutique puts me off straight away, most boutique places use the word to justify high prices. Guest house sounds much more friendly and has a better mental image than budget hotel.

I went to a trade show for Kubota tractors, mowers, generators etc catering for Government and local council workers and buyers in Melbourne. The Japs were unimpressed when no one stayed after the presentation. At a call up 2 days later I explained that as there was no grog everyone left. The Japs told the display co to book a Hotel. So they did. A Boutique Hotel Which meant no alcohol. The next year it was held outdoors and with geishas handing out beer.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand is hopeful of livening up the tourism industry over the remainder of the year with a new campaign called "Budget Travel".

i wonder if Bangkok Airways will be invloced in this ??? , as they are not exaclty ' Budget '

They (of course) are a boutique airline.

I went to a trade show for Kubota tractors, mowers, generators etc catering for Government and local council workers and buyers in Melbourne. The Japs were unimpressed when no one stayed after the presentation. At a call up 2 days later I explained that as there was no grog everyone left. The Japs told the display co to book a Hotel. So they did. A Boutique Hotel Which meant no alcohol. The next year it was held outdoors and with geishas handing out beer.

And sold heaps of product?

I would spend $1,000-$1,500 per month -every month- in Thailand.

Then they changed the immigration rules and I left.

I suspect hundreds of thousands to millions of men and women left that were free to come and go as they please.

Thailand should get back to its roots and become a free country again.

Somebody has really screwed up.

Russian gangsters running Pattaya but the people that supported the backbone of this country with hard currency are the ones that are made to leave.

Change your immigration policies, Thailand.I have lived on a nice island in Indonesia since the Immigration laws labelled me as persona non grata.

Cheaper,nice people,no alcohol culture.

I miss Thailand but no way will I ever go back until the attitude in the country changes.

I suspect hundreds of thousands to millions of men and women left that were free to come and go as they please.

I miss Thailand but no way will I ever go back until the attitude in the country changes.:Thaiflag:

really millions. :cheesy::cheesy::guitar::welcomeani:

Edited by jayjay0

Russian gangsters running Pattaya but the people that supported the backbone of this country with hard currency are the ones that are made to leave.

Change your immigration policies, Thailand.I have lived on a nice island in Indonesia since the Immigration laws labelled me as persona non grata.

I miss Thailand but no way will I ever go back until the attitude in the country changes.

A typo? Did you miss out some zeros in this sentance?? :o :o

Many would spend that amount per day

if TAT had a head, it would be up it's ___ (three letter word related to donkey).

I've been espousing the wisdom of catering to 'budget travelers' for years, in published newspaper letters, etc.

But why would TAT listen to a solo non-rich unpretentious farang barking in the smog-ridden park-deprived gray nothingness of Bangkok? ....or, for that matter, why would TAT listen to any farang on the subject of tourism?

For a decade or two, TAT has been quixotically aiming at high spending tourists, and that campaign has always been striking out. You can put a sequin shawl on a soi dog, but it's still a soi dog.

Same for me.

If the immigration laws would make it easier to get a visa for visits,

and especially th retirement visa regualtions, I would be living there now, and spending lots of USA dollars every month.

I don't understand why Thailand makes all things so difficult for farangs, -- they are losing lots of money to help the Thai economy.

What the hack are they supposed to be helping by the carzy (hard) visa regualtions?

Thailand should make visas easier to get, and welcome farangs (and their money) with open arms -- it would halp the Thai economy get richer and better for all concerned.

Why do farangs get no respect, when their presence helps all they come in contact with, by spending lots of money on the Thai economy?

Edited by artinamerica

Bull.....t

Visa or longterm Visas for Indonesia are far more difficult than Visas in Thailand. Retirement Visas do not exist there. You make visarun every 60 Days ?

Edited by gougouluxembourg

Same for me.

If the immigration laws would make it easier to get a visa for visits,

and especially th retirement visa regualtions, I would be living there now, and spending lots of USA dollars every month.

I don't understand why Thailand makes all things so difficult for farangs, -- they are losing lots of money to help the Thai economy.

What the hack are they supposed to be helping by the carzy (hard) visa regualtions?

Thailand should make visas easier to get, and welcome farangs (and their money) with open arms -- it would halp the Thai economy get richer and better for all concerned.

Why do farangs get no respect, when their presence helps all they come in contact with, by spending lots of money on the Thai economy?

If you do not have the minimum Income or the 800.000 on a Thai account how can you spending lots of money on the Thai economy?

The only Country in Asia i know, you can get a 10 Year Visa for Retirement is Malaysia, still Money on a Bank Account there required. if you like to live in a Muslim Country and Visits from the Muslim Police in your Home.

I think the Retirement-Visaregulations in Thailand are not bad at all, just go to the Immigration Office every 90 days does not hurt.

Edited by gougouluxembourg

Sorry, my computer is running on a home made network in my condo -only 350 a month, and it is treacherous, let alone unreliable.

My twopenceworth - why "target" visitor groups at all - just make it easier to come here & spend money.

Edited by fridgemagnet

I would have thought the main problem in promoting Thailand for budget travel is that visits to the country are no longer cheap.

The strong baht, rising hotel costs (I know they show discounts but from horribly inflated standard prices) and increasing flight prices are making Thailand a less attractive destination for those with more limited budgets.

This makes much more sense than the "High value" tourists that have been courted by a succession of governments who didn't get that wealthy people prefer to go where sidewalks aren't broken, and stray dogs aren't anywhere. A backpacker who falls in love with Thailand will return for a honeymoon, on business, family holidays, and retirement. A "High value tourist" who is used to clean surroundings and high standards of service probably won't.

I take it they have given up on attracting foreign travelers.

Wait a couple more years and they try to attract middle class tourists from Vietnam, as they will have a middle class by then while most of Isan farmers live on prostitution in their families to pay for a pick up truck!

Oh dear ................. Pattaya had its offer of free hotel accomadation only it never happened. Prices did go up though. No one in the hotel industry cared as Thais seem to see a reduction in money as a time to increase costs. The economic theory being selling less = income less, therefore increase price equals more money but less sold.

Mmnnnn. may be that's where the rest of us are going wrong in creating all that first world wealth, security and health.

So just what will budget travel costs be for those young working Thais who are now to prop up the Thai travel industry by way of travelling somewhere and then staying in a hotel and then spending money in the local shops.

Average salary around 4k baht a month. Hotel room say 1k per night as a cheapie. A meal out in MK, a few goodies from the local Mall, a couple of souvenirs, an evening of Karoke before leaving the next morning having had jsut a weekend away.

Should get change out of .............. one and a bit month's salary. Yes. I can see the Thais really going for that one when they've a m/cy to pay the rental on; a room the same; Mom and Pop to support; the bills to pay etc etc.

Great idea.

I wonder what they'll throw up next year? Paris on sixpence? Delhi on a dime? Or how about Bangkok on a baht. Yes, Now that they could manage.