Genuine Volunteer Work In Cnx

CNXTim

OK,

what i would like to know from folk here is are they aware of the genuine charities seeking volunteers in and around Chiang Mai that are not commercial entities or scams in masquerade?

I have a friend arriving soon and she would like to undertake volunteer work. she is NOT looking for a Visa but simply wants to occupy her time here in a productive way...

I have already recommended the YMCA, are there any more of that level of worthiness?

she is NOT looking for a Visa

To do volunteer work she would need an appropriate visa and a work permit.

Yes; in practise though a lot of common sense is applied. Ultimately (and as long as there aren't any other nefarious circumstances, or when the work messes with vested interests) it would be treated as a case of 'to do good is to receive good'. I would not be overly worried.

Keep in mind that the ONLY way anyone can give anything back to Thai society is through this common sense gray area. I have a work permit, but it of course describes the work I do and the location I do it at. It would still not cover me on a weekend when helping out at some hilltribe villages.

So.. while the legal aspect is certainly worth a mention, I think common sense should prevail.

And a work permit would only be issued on a non-immigrant visa.

Yes there are charities in Chiang Mai and surroundings that could need help. The problem is that they often don't no how to go about getting a work permit.

It might help if you tell in what field your friend is seeking volunteer work, like nature, children, adults etc.

Agreed with Khwai.

Looks like she will be in thailand on tourist visa so she has legal stay and she wants to be productive whilts she is here thus she would like to offer availability for free, very admirably thought.:jap:

May try the Wat Don Chan orphanage, the abbot there does blessings for the royalist so there will not be any trouble from any agencies on the legal or illegality of work permit is concerned.

And a work permit would only be issued on a non-immigrant visa.

Yes. However as it is severely unlikely to to even begin the process of applying for a work permit for volunteer work, it actually doesn't matter. Unless you're volunteering for a highly established NGO, perhaps.

Yes there are charities in Chiang Mai and surroundings that could need help. The problem is that they often don't no how to go about getting a work permit.

For all intends and purposes, it doesn't happen. The amount of paperwork is humongous and if this is a small organization that has never done it before, you might as well suggest flying to the moon. If you're working for UNICEF or Plan International however then yes, by all means bring it up.