Age Discrimination

beano2274

Good morning, just noticed that a certain Language School owned by an ex Student of Ramkhamhaeng University is advertising on www.ajarn.com for teachers from 20 to 40 years of age.

Is this not considered to be age discrimination? Or does that not exist anymore?

By the way I am not going to apply and also I am over the age limits set by this well known company.

Edited by beano2274

Apparently our esteemed OP has not ever read the classified in any Thai newspaper.

Beano --- it is not against the law in Thailand to actively recruit only the people you are interested in hiring :)

True you might be.

Jsut noticied that the esteemed owner of the Language Academy is 48, by the standards he requires at his school

also too old. But his business his rules.

It's quite common in hiring to discriminate. The biggest problem is when people are fired for being 'too old', even if they aren't at the mandatory retirement age.

If they are telling you it is because you are too old .... that may simply be a less confrontative way to say " you suck "

There's no law in Thailand with respect to discrimination in hiring. The Labor Protection Act does have anti-discrimination protection for women (Sections 15 and 16) which prevents them from being treated differently than men at work or being sexually harassed, and also protections for pregnant women (Chapter 3) but nothing about age discrimination. End of story.

Based on my experience here in Thailand working for a major international university, mostly the older teachers ask for the higher salaries, question why certain things are done in such a stupid way and have more experience in the area of their expertise. Thai teachers in a lot of cases go from being a undergraduate student straight in to a master's degree and then on to a Doctorate (a piece of paper in most cases). For those in the Business Administration majors, most pick the MBA. Guess what, the MBA here in Thailand is just another name for a BBA but some advanced instruction. Why learn something new when you can learn the same thing again with a different name? The foreign teachers approaching the 60 year mark make enough to hire two or three Thais with Master degrees. Why pay for one when you can get three for the same price.

Younger teachers are sometimes not that resolute about asking for a decent salary but accept enough to live here in the LOS. Generally they are not that knowledgeable of what their rights are. Many do not know that although they have a work permit from the labor ministry, any conflict has to go to civil court as now the labor court is not an option for labor disputes for teachers. You may disagree but I got caught in the nightmare of the over sixty rulings. This is an agreement between private schools/universities that was done behind closed doors with no input from any teachers. I got my walking papers due to a committee at the school which did not have one teacher on the committee. Only staff people and who do they work for, the president so they do the Thai thing, obey the superior.

Sadly, it is a fact and we have no rights as foreigners working for schools here in Thailand. Thankfully, I have a different visa now so I don't work now and must not work in order to keep my visa.

Edited by puyaidon

And long may it last here in Thailand. Anti discrimination laws back in the UK have destroyed the place. The owner of Longleat house has just sacked all his staff over the retirement age now before laws come into effect which will stop him from sacking them for their age next year. Yes there are some jobs a doddering 80 years old can do but there are lots they cannot. People doing the hiring should be allowed to hire who they like.As said back in the UK the best person doesn't get the job anymore these days. No, the person that ticks the most boxes gets the job whether they are the best candidate for the job or not.

If the job asks for people between 20 - 40 and you are not in this age bracket then don't apply. Simple really :D

Going back nearly 25 years ago when I used teach English at private schools in Bangkok, many schools would not hire people over 40 to teach with the reasoning that the average person over 40 is no longer lively enough to keep student interest. A generalization to be sure, but perhaps there is some truth in it. I know I would be hard pressed to be the smiling, happy, lively, engaging teacher, day in - day out, I used to be now that I am nearly 50.

Having said that, I am sure there are many middle aged people who would put some of those whippersnappers currently teaching to shame.

I do remember that more senior (in age) teachers were prefered for private lessons.

The conundrum of age, or experience versus inexperience. I was just watching some young teachers with a KG class. The students are in a line and have to kick a ball through a small set of goal posts which is about 3 or 4 meters away. The ball is going everywhere but near the goal posts. The teachers are running all over getting the ball and running back with it to give it to the next student. The students are quite jumpy; almost unruly. Inexperience at work.

I, being a bit older, would have these same students, full of energy, run after the ball while I stood there and cheered them on. Experience.

I see the same thing in the classroom; a teacher frantically running around handing out notebooks, when the students can come up and get them or the more energetic and unruly boys can run around and hand them out.

I have noticed that where I work as our Director has gotten older, so has her idea of who is 'too' old. It's all very relative, I think.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I was once asked by a head-teacher of a primary school (in rural Thailand) to take over as their English teacher (despite them knowing I had no experience or qualifications) because they wanted to sack their current English teacher.

There reasoning was that the children were scared of their current teacher because he was old, and the parents had requested a younger replacement.

Regardless of whether the views of the kids (and their parents) were justified, it would be difficult for a school to simply ignore such pressure.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

Edited by brit1984

Personally I think it's kinda refreshing that they can discriminate against people to get the people whom they actually want to hire.

Of course you couldn't do it in the west, and it feels wrong, but it makes sense when you're used to having thousands of applicants for every job (When they advertise for Thai positions), that you can filter them a little bit more specifically via the advertisement.

I'd say still apply, just be aware that that's their preference. If it was a western country, you'd just not get a callback and be none the wiser. If you questioned the western company, you'd get a suitably vague answer, maybe about how they were unsure about whether you'd intergrate into their team or simply that they found someone who was better qualified, or filled the position internally or something and be none the wiser. Here at least, you're aware before applying, that their preference is for a younger teacher.

Even then, they'd still consider your application if you have a good CV, just they'd probably mark it against you if their was a younger guy with the same qualifications.

One post has been deleted. I believe the question being asked is a more current one than the OP. I know it's a bit confusing, but I believe the post from 2010 has been discussed and we are now on a more recent question.