Dukes

millwall_fan

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Dukes too, went today and really enjoyed their Turkey sandwich special

Went there tonight. It was a awesome sandwich.

I do not like Pumpkin Pie. But my friend and I had the last two pieces he had. It was delicious. It was the last and my friend was disapointed. He tried to buy a whole pie. Too bad if they had had one I would have been sorely tempted. We asked what he had done different and he said nothing.B)

So, the conclusion is that Dukes is a very good, value for money, well established restaurant, that can't please all of the people all of the time.

Or...it's not very good, it's poor value for money, it's over-rated and pleases the easily pleased all the time. Depending on opinion...

I don't know but from your posts I presume to beat Dukes I would have to go to Pattaya or Hui Hin to beat it. That for me would be rather prohibitive. Mind you it would be a nice Holiday in Hui Hin. Not interested in Pattaya my libido is in check.

HELLOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Is that enough shouting ??!!

Now that I have your attention:

Okay, okay, why in the world so many people have so little to do except to talk about this restaurant SO MUCH --- and then start talking about missionaries lunching on foundation and church-supported dollars, portion size and WHATEVER! Oy! --- I simply can not understand except that there are too many people not doing much useful around here !! (Including me, too, I guess!)

Come on, people! The guy who runs the place is a good guy. The food is okay, depending on your taste.

After four years of incidental dips into Thai Visa restaurant posts (I like to eat out, too!!),I suggest that there are an INORDINATE number of posts about this eatery. So, why? SO WHAT ??!!

In the meantime, all you other restaurant/pub owner-marketeer regulars (and occasional TV sponsors!) eat your hearts out, or what's left in the kitchen. Dave seems to have a neat corner on the market, and he's not even (without looking) a sponsor!!!!

so the concensus is that we all disagree with each other, as usual, about where to eat out in Chiang Mai - maybe that's why there are so many good restaurants to suit all tastes and budgets in town.

Think about it: we are thousands of Kilometres from hoem but here in this far flung corner of the globe that many of us call home we have American, British, Australian, French, German, Belgian, Italian, Irish & Mexican restaurants (go on, i'm sure you can mention a few more!)

As well as almost every variety of Asian food and of course, food from every region of Thailand.

no wonder we all go on about food so often. what an amazing choice we have!!!

Lasagne = shocking

I have only been the Dukes (river) once as I don't live in CM. I had the American style lasagna. It was the best lasagna I've had in Thailand (which doesn't take much doing). Maybe it's an American thing.

Most people on the CM forum know that I am a big Duke's fan. However, I am not crazy about their lasagna in any way. Pratties has my favorite lasagna. I much prefer the hot Pastrami sandwich, the Philadelphia cheese-steak or their pizza. Different folks like different things, but - over all - I do not understand how anyone could compare the Duke's unfavorably to other Western restaurants in Thailand.

I don't claim to have eaten in many western restaurants in Thailand, however I can categorically claim that Dukes does not get anywhere near Dicey O'Reilleys in Pattaya or the restaurant at Black Mountain Golf Course in Hua Hin.

I appreciate I'm in the minority here, but we should be careful raising it from 'great in CM' to 'great in Thailand'.

Since this is a CM forum. I am assuming that we are talking about it being the best in CM.

And YES it was a typo.

When comparing Blk. Mt to Dukes (I moved here from H.H. 6 mnths ago) one should consider that you should get what you pay and since their prices are not similar it's not a fair comparison. I like both a greasy pizza in NYC and a multi-Michilen starred restaurant in Paris but I would not compare the two, it's like apples to oranges if you will.

Lasagne = shocking

I have only been the Dukes (river) once as I don't live in CM. I had the American style lasagna. It was the best lasagna I've had in Thailand (which doesn't take much doing). Maybe it's an American thing.

Most people on the CM forum know that I am a big Duke's fan. However, I am not crazy about their lasagna in any way. Pratties has my favorite lasagna. I much prefer the hot Pastrami sandwich, the Philadelphia cheese-steak or their pizza. Different folks like different things, but - over all - I do not understand how anyone could compare the Duke's unfavorably to other Western restaurants in Thailand.

I don't claim to have eaten in many western restaurants in Thailand, however I can categorically claim that Dukes does not get anywhere near Dicey O'Reilleys in Pattaya or the restaurant at Black Mountain Golf Course in Hua Hin.

I appreciate I'm in the minority here, but we should be careful raising it from 'great in CM' to 'great in Thailand'.

I don't like the pizza or hanburgers at Dukes. I also don't like that they charge you an additional 7% on your bill for VAT.

But I must say that their food is generally delicious and well prepared. It is the best food I have had in Chiang Mai... With the exception of America Restaurant which is also a Dukes product which was in Chiang Mai in the 90's :)

Duke is a great addition to the Chiang Mai list of farang restaurants. I do bring along my flock of kids and they enjoy the pizza quite a bit. if you haven't been to Duke's go there. its a very nice restaurant. I do notice half of the restaurant being of Thai clientele past couple of years though and Dave must be doing well. Good for him!

Duke is a great addition to the Chiang Mai list of farang restaurants. I do bring along my flock of kids and they enjoy the pizza quite a bit. if you haven't been to Duke's go there. its a very nice restaurant. I do notice half of the restaurant being of Thai clientele past couple of years though and Dave must be doing well. Good for him!

Dave mentioned to me when I was there last month that they recently did a very favorable review of the Dukes in a Thai magazine and that has increased the Thai clientele considerably. Notwithstanding, I have noticed the Thai clientele on the increase over the last couple of years myself. Good for him! He works hard, provides good food and a good atmosphere.

Dave mentioned to me when I was there last month that they recently did a very favorable review of the Dukes in a Thai magazine and that has increased the Thai clientele considerably. Notwithstanding, I have noticed the Thai clientele on the increase over the last couple of years myself. Good for him! He works hard, provides good food and a good atmosphere.

He does a lot for the community as well which always adds to the experience and atmosphere in my book.

He does a lot for the community as well which always adds to the experience and atmosphere in my book.