Dukes

millwall_fan

The wife and i took Junior Millwall_fan out for dinner at Dukes tonight. We hadn't been there for quite a while. I'm delighted to report that the food, the service and the atmosphere were as good as ever. We had ribs and Chicken, American Lasagne, Nachos and a bowl of Chilli. All were excellent! Junior got a colouring sheet and some crayons, despite spilling water all over a menu and enjoyed his ribs. Thoroughly recommended for a special occasion!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ribs must have been better than the last time I was there-awful.

But I seem to have been unlucky there based on what others say, only been twice and each time very disappointing but both were lunch times-different staff?

Every year my boy comes to visit from Canada. First thing on his agenda after checking into a hotel is to go to the Dukes on the river for ribs.

Must be doing some thing rite. Personally I am for the road house Phillie. B)

Not good for me but the fries are great.:(

I've had ribs and i've had ribs and these were melt in mouth bl--dy gorgeous!! Dukes is one of the few Farang restaurants Mrs Millwall_fan really enjoys. We go to the night bazaaar branch and she like the bustling atmosphere.

Thailand: nobody's perfect, especially in this part of the world. Quality control is very difficult to achieve. We all try our best!!

I have eaten at the Dukes so many times that I`ve lost count.

Never had a bad meal there yet and that goes for the Red Lion, the Olde Bell and few others too numerous to mention.

A little of what you fancy does you good, says the wise man. I dine at any particular restaurant according to my mood. But they`ll all good.

I recommend the fried chicken at the Dukes, comes with a free salad, bread roll and all the free water you can drink, all for 209 baht.

At the Red Lion I enjoy the liver and onions with mash potato and the Olde Bell also serves a good liver and onion meal. Not recommended if you intend to snog a bird afterwards. But then again, the birds I snog are dog rough anyway, so it doesn`t matter.

Edited by Beetlejuice

I am a regular too, normally enjoy it. Last night's Thanksgiving dinner, the Turkey, however was uneatable, no taste whatsoever, likewise the apple pie, totally over-spiced . Shared the salmon of my wife instead.

I ordered 3 turkey specials from them, delivered by MoW4u. They forgot to send the pumkin pie, and when I called, they delivered 3 pumpkin pies... and 3 apple pies :)

I thought everything was delicious :)

I am a regular too, normally enjoy it. Last night's Thanksgiving dinner, the Turkey, however was uneatable, no taste whatsoever, likewise the apple pie, totally over-spiced . Shared the salmon of my wife instead.

I ordered 3 turkey specials from them, delivered by MoW4u. They forgot to send the pumkin pie, and when I called, they delivered 3 pumpkin pies... and 3 apple pies :)

I thought everything was delicious :)

We've given them three tries, assuming the first two were just bad luck... All three were bad, average at best (Narowat Bridge branch).

Ribs = OK

Burger = pretty good

Lasagne = shocking

Pasta = OK

Service = poor

Atmosphere/ambiance = Non-existent (unless you enjoy listening to missionaries and their flock of kids)

Never again. Seriously over-rated in my book (but of course opinions are like <deleted>...everyone has one).

The qute that springs to mind is

"One man's meat is another mans poison"!

dining out is one of the joys of living in this city. What you should remember when you go out is that we are at the end of some long supply lines here in Chiang Mai and that farang restaurants face many cultural difficulties in trying to get staff to do things just like we would have them back home. If you dine out with that in mind you'll eat well most of the time!

As I said above, in my opinion Dukes does a great job and is an important element in the dining out scene. We've never eaten badly there.

The qute that springs to mind is

"One man's meat is another mans poison"!

dining out is one of the joys of living in this city. What you should remember when you go out is that we are at the end of some long supply lines here in Chiang Mai and that farang restaurants face many cultural difficulties in trying to get staff to do things just like we would have them back home. If you dine out with that in mind you'll eat well most of the time!

As I said above, in my opinion Dukes does a great job and is an important element in the dining out scene. We've never eaten badly there.

No more cultural difficulties than the rest of Thailand though Pedr. Try Dicey O'Reilleys in Pattaya. Simply awesome. Food, drink, ambiance and service. Not cheap, I grant you, but I'm looking for good, not cheap (which Dukes isn't anyway).

If I'm to lower expectations in order to be satisfied, I'd rather eat at home.

Well there is certainly some differences of opinion here as there should be when dealing with humans.

I my self can understand some of the negative opinion's. There is defiantly certain items on the menu I would never recommend. I could put up a negative opinion if that was all I talk about.

I do how ever thurely enjoy other items to the point that over all I would have to say it is a great restaurant.

I really don't think I could find a restaurant I could not in all honesty put up a bad or for that matter good post on.B)

I really like the one on the river it gives ME a sense of ambiance. I go fairly often and as yet have not heard a bunch of missionaries talk. All though there has been nights I would have preferred that to the people I was with.:cheesy:

Lasagne = shocking

I have only been the Dukes (river) once as I don't live in CM. I had the American style lasagna. It was the best lasagna I've had in Thailand (which doesn't take much doing). Maybe it's an American thing.

I don't think so JT. Pedr is British and he rated it highly.

This is what confuses me about the place and why we gave it three chances. It has so, so many great reviews that it seems weird how bad our experience of the place has been.

However...three is enough. Too many other restaurants out there to continue spending good after bad.

If everything is as good as the lasagna, I would eat there every week if I lived there.

Of course, tastes vary, and I suppose it is possible a person could have bad luck/off nights three times. I also wouldn't return to most restaurants even hating it the first time.

Edited by Jingthing

If everything is as good as the lasagna, I would eat there every week if I lived there.

Of course, tastes vary, and I suppose it is possible a person could have bad luck/off nights three times. I also wouldn't return to most restaurants even hating it the first time.

Makes you think doesn't it? huh.gif

Not as if Chiang Mai is short on alternatives.

I go fairly often and as yet have not heard a bunch of missionaries talk

You must be hard of hearing JayJay ;)

As a matter of fact I am.

But even with my hearing aids in I tend to pay attention to the people I am with rather than every one else. I have been rightly called rude but I am not that rude.. Perhaps if you pay attention to the people you are with and the food you are eating instead of eavesdropping on other tables you might find the food is a little better.

Makes you think doesn't it? huh.gif

Not as if Chiang Mai is short on alternatives.

Sure and that's a valid point. However when all and sundry are telling you something is fantastic, it is human nature to try and discover what it is they are raving about. You are quite entitled after one look to walk away and consider everyone else to be tasteless tossers, however we assumed we simply got a bad day (and did so again a second time).

I'm not starting 'Dukes is crap' threads, I'm merely giving my opinion (we eat out about 5 times a week) on a 'Dukes is great' thread. Sorry if that offends.

I go fairly often and as yet have not heard a bunch of missionaries talk

You must be hard of hearing JayJay ;)

As a matter of fact I am.

But even with my hearing aids in I tend to pay attention to the people I am with rather than every one else. I have been rightly called rude but I am not that rude.. Perhaps if you pay attention to the people you are with and the food you are eating instead of eavesdropping on other tables you might find the food is a little better.

Many thanks for the advice. How one goes from 'hearing' to 'eavesdropping' is beyond me, but I shall endeavor to do better in future.

I don't usually eat at Dukes, but when my son / daughter and family come over every year (from UK) we go in there regularly.

They think the food is great, the prices for what you get, reasonable.

Personally, I have never found anything to complain about.......especially as they usually pay! wink.gif

I did notice the missionaries. So what? Nobody tried to convert me, apparently they are fat bastards and like a good feed like the rest of us ...

It's an interesting subject. I played golf with a guy who was against gambling and was offended that the caddies in our group were having the odd ten baht on nearest the pin/longest drive of their players. It did not effect me, but it bothered him no end.

The missionaries never tried to convert me either, but that does not mean I agree with what they are doing or wish to dine with them. Each to their own.

As it goes, if I were the Duke's boss, I'd do everything to encourage them. They eat well and there are lots of them.

Lasagne = shocking

I have only been the Dukes (river) once as I don't live in CM. I had the American style lasagna. It was the best lasagna I've had in Thailand (which doesn't take much doing). Maybe it's an American thing.

Most people on the CM forum know that I am a big Duke's fan. However, I am not crazy about their lasagna in any way. Pratties has my favorite lasagna. I much prefer the hot Pastrami sandwich, the Philadelphia cheese-steak or their pizza. Different folks like different things, but - over all - I do not understand how anyone could compare the Duke's unfavorably to other Western restaurants in Thailand.

I wouldn't want to dine at a restaurant that was owned by the missionaries as I don't fancy baloney. On the other hand, to be surrounded by them once in a while is rather pleasing, as it reminds me what I won't be missing from living in America.

Edited by Jingthing

I wouldn't want to dine at a restaurant that was owned by the missionaries as I don't fancy baloney. On the other hand, to be surrounded by them once in a while is rather pleasing, as it reminds me what I won't be missing from living in America.

Not even a baloney sandwich with pickles?

Lasagne = shocking

Most people on the CM forum know that I am a big Duke's fan. However, I am not crazy about their lasagna in any way. Pratties has my favorite lasagna. I much prefer the hot Pastrami sandwich, the Philadelphia cheese-steak or their pizza. Different folks like different things, but - over all - I do not understand how anyone could compare the Duke's unfavorably to other Western restaurants in Thailand.

I don't claim to have eaten in many western restaurants in Thailand, however I can categorically claim that Dukes does not get anywhere near Dicey O'Reilleys in Pattaya or the restaurant at Black Mountain Golf Course in Hua Hin.

I appreciate I'm in the minority here, but we should be careful raising it from 'great in CM' to 'great in Thailand'.