Trouble Reading

I posted earlier about a friend of mine running into difficulties with his retirement visa. For whatever reason I can't access that message to read the replies. It just constantly flashes. I can read every other thread that I've tried fine. Have accessed thru aol and yahoo, over a 3-4 hour period. I'm in the usa. Is there a problem somewhere?

The is something very wrong with the thread - I posted first reply and got thread back with no reply attached - after another access with about 5 reloads I can read fine but never lose the unread post indication. At any rate here are the posts:

He does not even have to have a retirement visa but can use the normal support Thai wife with 400k in a bank account in Thailand and apply for the one year extension of stay 60 days after he arrives on a normal single entry non immigrant O visa.

He can also do the same for retirement but have 800k in a bank account or pension income letter from Embassy and a bank account with anything in it.

There seems to be a serious communications problem somewhere as even if wife was not Thai only one retirement deposit is required. Below is the official requirements from the MFA web site:

II. REQUIRED DOCUMENTS FOR VISA APPLICATION

A passport with validity not less than 18 months

Three copies of visa application form completely filled out.

Three passport-sized photos of the applicant taken within

the past six months.

A personal Data Form

A copy of bank statement showing a deposit at the amount equal to not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthy income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht. 

In the case of the bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is to be shown as well. 

Verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record issued from the country of his/her nationality or residence (the verification shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notorized by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic/consular mission).

A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) (the certificate shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notorized by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic/consular mission).

In the case that the applicant wishes to have his/her spouse stay together in the Kingdom but the spouse is not qualified for the “O-A” visa, their marriage certificate shall also be produced as evidence and should be notorized by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic/consular mission. (The spouse will be considered for temporary stay under category “O”).

sriracha john  Today, 2005-08-12 09:56:13 Post #3 

Chonburi Provincial Flag

Group: Advanced Members

Member No.: 9,005

Agree, lopburi.

Not very encouraging if it's Houston (historically known for their ease) telling him this.

lopburi3  Today, 2005-08-12 10:08:22 Post #4 

Titanium Member

Member No.: 326

QUOTE(sriracha john @ 2005-08-12 09:56:13)

Agree, lopburi.

Not very encouraging if it's Houston (historically known for their ease) telling him this.

I suspect it is just a miscommunication as he was talking deposit of 9.5k in a Thai bank and that is not part of the O-A process so when they said money in a US bank (which is how it is done) he probably misunderstood. When 20K in US bank mentioned for him and wife it was probably assumed to be each but not said that way. But this is crystal balling a bit. 

Pluto -- yeah that's what it stands for, it's gone now, but I loved it. Right now I'm down to a 79 strat, and a 1995 '60 reissue gibson lp here in the states. Also have a 62 reissue strat at a friends house near Pattaya. Plus acoustics, one of which is moving to LOS with me. lol.

Lopburi --- Thanks for posting the replies. Somebody must have cracked the whip on Houston. Now, I don't even know if I want to use them for my non imm B when I come over in the fall. I used them last time, no problem. My friends were definitely told $40,000 US in the bank, or it would not be granted. His wife is contemplating renouncing US citizenship to make it easier. They can't charge a thai to go home can they? He planned on putting the 9K in the thai bank for expenses. He thought that the 120k baht transferred from his US bank to a bank in thailand each month would be sufficient. He was told he needed 20k for each in the bank, irregardless of monthly income! The US Gov't has already provided him with notarized military retirement and SS amounts, and I'm assuming the embassy has that too. When he raid the form to the lady in Houston, regarding 800K or 65k a month, he was told "I told you what we want, 20K US each in the bank, or it will not be approved, irregardless of monthly income." I thought he was kidding, he wasn't!! Any options on other consulates? Has anyone else run into this situation? Has anyone used Houston for non imm B lately?

thanks in advance for any help.

The is something very wrong with the thread - I posted first reply and got thread back with no reply attached - after another access with about 5 reloads I can read fine but never lose the unread post indication.  At any rate here are the posts:
He does not even have to have a retirement visa but can use the normal support Thai wife with 400k in a bank account in Thailand and apply for the one year extension of stay 60 days after he arrives on a normal single entry non immigrant O visa.

He can also do the same for retirement but have 800k in a bank account or pension income letter from Embassy and a bank account with anything in it.

There seems to be a serious communications problem somewhere as even if wife was not Thai only one retirement deposit is required. Below is the official requirements from the MFA web site:

II. REQUIRED DOCUMENTS FOR VISA APPLICATION

A passport with validity not less than 18 months

Three copies of visa application form completely filled out.

Three passport-sized photos of the applicant taken within

the past six months.

A personal Data Form

A copy of bank statement showing a deposit at the amount equal to not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthy income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht. 

In the case of the bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is to be shown as well. 

Verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record issued from the country of his/her nationality or residence (the verification shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notorized by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic/consular mission).

A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) (the certificate shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notorized by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic/consular mission).

In the case that the applicant wishes to have his/her spouse stay together in the Kingdom but the spouse is not qualified for the “O-A” visa, their marriage certificate shall also be produced as evidence and should be notorized by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic/consular mission. (The spouse will be considered for temporary stay under category “O”).

sriracha john  Today, 2005-08-12 09:56:13 Post #3 

Chonburi Provincial Flag

Member No.: 9,005

Agree, lopburi.

lopburi3  Today, 2005-08-12 10:08:22 Post #4 

Titanium Member

Member No.: 326

QUOTE(sriracha john @ 2005-08-12 09:56:13)

Agree, lopburi.

I suspect it is just a miscommunication as he was talking deposit of 9.5k in a Thai bank and that is not part of the O-A process so when they said money in a US bank (which is how it is done) he probably misunderstood. When 20K in US bank mentioned for him and wife it was probably assumed to be each but not said that way. But this is crystal balling a bit.  

Just get a non immigrant O visa from any Consulate on the basis of visiting his Thai wife (I assume she is still Thai and she should have a Thai passport) or even a tourist visa would do but would be an extra step involved. Once he is in Thailand he can extend his stay for support Thai wife and it is only 400k requirement as I said. Or he can use the retirement method. It does indeed sound as if some tail feathers may have been burnt.

Will be interesting to hear another current report from Houston (and Hull?).

Below is the official Consular jurisdiction map so I would use the official Consulate for where he lives. The retirement O-A should not be that much of a problem getting (although it requires some paperwork and may require additional notary type certifications). Or just get a normal O on basis of marriage to a Thai and then extend inside Thailand later.

usmap2k.gif

I posted earlier about a friend of mine running into difficulties with his retirement visa. For whatever reason I can't access that message to read the replies. It just constantly flashes. I can read every other thread that I've tried fine. Have accessed thru aol and yahoo, over a 3-4 hour period. I'm in the usa. Is there a problem somewhere?

It wasn't just this thread. :o